PDA

View Full Version : How can the dedi be used at this time?

Gimpymoo
10-05-2015, 01:02
I want to setup a private dedi server for a clan/community.

What I would like to do is setup a server with a specified track rotation, with vehicles restricted to a set class.

I would like to be able to specify minimum/maxinum size of grid to start a race and choose minimum/maximum number of AI and till that the minimum number is reached, the player can hot lap with lap times being local to the server so if someone else jumps on 1 hour later, they can see the fastest lap times posted on the server and try to beat those for that track. Does that make sense?

Please can someone advise what can be done at this time and what is scheduled for the future.

Henk de Jong
10-05-2015, 01:05
At the moment you can only setup the sedicated server from the game side. Using the startup parameter you can setup your online lobby on a specific dedicated server.

Gimpymoo
10-05-2015, 01:06
At the moment you can only setup the sedicated server from the game side. Using the startup parameter you can setup your online lobby on a specific dedicated server.

Thank you for the reply.

So the "Dedi" simply acts as a "lobby" at the moment?

Alan_Bernardo
10-05-2015, 04:51

What? When you set a game in the lobby, you're using PC's servers and not your own. With a DS, you're using your own bandwidth. The DS is totally independent. You don't even need PC to run it. At the moment, however, I haven't figured out how to use it. And even if I did-- it's command-line driven-- I'm not so sure I'd want to, since it will eat a lot of your bandwidth.

Alan

Ston3Cold
10-05-2015, 06:36
What? When you set a game in the lobby, you're using PC's servers and not your own. With a DS, you're using your own bandwidth. The DS is totally independent. You don't even need PC to run it. At the moment, however, I haven't figured out how to use it. And even if I did-- it's command-line driven-- I'm not so sure I'd want to, since it will eat a lot of your bandwidth.

Alan

You basically host a dedicated server to which you connect and host your lobby on that for others to join. So, when you're creating a game (lobby), you connect to your dedicated server on which your game (lobby) will then be created. Anyone in the server browser will see your dedicated server as the lobby name. When they connect to the lobby they'll join the lobby that's hosted via the dedicated server.

Obviously you need to set your game command line via Steam's "Set launch options" first to connect to your dedicated server with the -searchds "Your dedicated server name here" option.

Read over here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22370-Dedicated-Server-HowTo-(Work-in-Progress) for more information :)

Gimpymoo
10-05-2015, 08:24
What does the Startup parameter do?

Does a server not show in the ingame server browser unless a player is present, hence the need for the startup switch?

Ston3Cold
10-05-2015, 09:02
What does the Startup parameter do?

Does a server not show in the ingame server browser unless a player is present, hence the need for the startup switch?

Yes, at this stage, the dedicated servers don't list by default in the game's server browser.

If you don't start with the startup switch, you won't be able to create a session on the dserver. Also, if no one creates a session on the dserver, you won't see the server listed in the game browser. If you don't use the startup switch, any sessions you create will only be P2P.