PDA

View Full Version : Workaround for Fps drop!

wb7racing
10-05-2015, 07:18
I like many others have been looking forward to Pcars for months,
Bought a TX wheel + wheelstand to make the most of it. Pre downloaded the game and went on as soon as it was available.

I was really dissapointed with the drop in frame rate as it made racing the AI impossible and ruined the game for me,

However yesterday i moved the game files over to an external HDD, turned the console off & unplugged kinect . Switched the console back on at the wall. I did then have to go out for a couple of hours in which i beleive it did an update but when i next went into the game it was 100x better, no drop in frame rate, even with all graphic options on, all cars + weather.

Loving the racing now and finally enjoying the gane as i expected to!

On a side note i noticed that when i moved all the game data over to the Ext Hdd the file size dropped from 18.4gb to 18.1?

After the reboot it now shows 18.5gb

Sankyo
10-05-2015, 07:27
Thanks for reporting this, this may be useful information for the devs.

Scav3nger
10-05-2015, 07:39
On a side note i noticed that when i moved all the game data over to the Ext Hdd the file size dropped from 18.4gb to 18.1?

After the reboot it now shows 18.5gb

There was a small update that came out that is downloaded when you hard reset the Xbox, which would have downloaded and installed when you turned the console back on at the wall.

blowfishrulez
10-05-2015, 07:44
Kinect seems still to be the biggest problem of the Xbox One, even when its not around anymore.

wb7racing
10-05-2015, 07:45
There was a small update that came out that is downloaded when you hard reset the Xbox, which would have downloaded and installed when you turned the console back on at the wall.

Yeah thats what i thought, it just seemed strange that it dropped 400mb when i moved it from the XB1 storage to the external.

Bryer
10-05-2015, 08:09
I've been saying this since Thursday morning when the first reports of FPS drops started emerging. Nice to know that I was on the right lines.

MillsLayne
10-05-2015, 08:24
I wonder if just disconnecting the Kinect will help, or if you need to also move the files over to an external hard drive (I hope not, as I don't have a spare ATM).

Bryer
10-05-2015, 08:29
Unplugging the Kinect will have ZERO effect.

External HDD = 7400 rpm on average.
Xbox Internal = 5400 rpm.

The USB 3.0 standard supports transfer rates of 5Gbps, where as the internal supports a lot less than that.

It's the same with GTA V, loads better from an external HDD.

More info in this post - http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21867-Graphical-problems-Xbox-Ome&p=886068#post886068

MasterOperator1
10-05-2015, 08:45
Unplugging the Kinect will have ZERO effect.

External HDD = 7400 rpm on average.
Xbox Internal = 5400 rpm.

The USB 3.0 standard supports transfer rates of 5Gbps, where as the internal supports a lot less than that.

It's the same with GTA V, loads better from an external HDD.

More info in this post - http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21867-Graphical-problems-Xbox-Ome&p=886068#post886068

Thatīs right for general loading. But in game, better in race, most datas have been loaded allready. Thatīs only one reason. And thatīs system power. The box is at the end. Hoping for future coming patches. Also patch from MS to give more power when kinect isnīīt connected.

Bryer
10-05-2015, 08:49
Thatīs right for general loading. But in game, better in race, all datas have been loaded loaded. Thatīs only one reason. And thatīs system power. The box is at the end. Hoping for future coming patches. Also patch from MS to give more power when kinect isnīīt connected.

Incorrect. The game is still pulling data off the hard disk throughout the race. It's called load balancing game assets. Call of Duty: Ghosts was the first to use this, and GTA V also uses the same method. Loads the base code during loads and then streams the content from the hard disk installation, much like a PC.

Also I'm advising the community that I've had the game installed from day 1 on my USB hard disk and haven't suffered ANY fps drops. Common sense would say the slow speed HDD in the Xbox One is the issue.

MasterOperator1
12-05-2015, 10:51
Incorrect. The game is still pulling data off the hard disk throughout the race. It's called load balancing game assets. Call of Duty: Ghosts was the first to use this, and GTA V also uses the same method. Loads the base code during loads and then streams the content from the hard disk installation, much like a PC.

Also I'm advising the community that I've had the game installed from day 1 on my USB hard disk and haven't suffered ANY fps drops. Common sense would say the slow speed HDD in the Xbox One is the issue.

I canīt confirm this. The developers themselves say it also...you only reduce the loading times before and between races.

"http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23592-A-patch-is-on-the-way-4-7-performance-increase/page7" POST #67

Revvin
12-05-2015, 10:59
I wonder if this is why I've not experienced any of the issues like frame rate, crashing etc. because I have all my XBOX One games installed on a 2TB USB drive.

SN1P3R SK33T
12-05-2015, 11:02
Things must be being pulled from the external while IAR from the simple fact that the drive is still spinning. Also, the fact that all the Xbox's system and OS R/W are separate from the Ext.

Tillj
12-05-2015, 11:26
I've noticed sound glitches occurs sometimes when people leave/join. I rarely get fps drops they only seem to occur when people leave/join game as well. Have you got a workaround for sound glitches?

Benja190782
12-05-2015, 14:23
So will this help the stuttering in replays also???

Lukeymonster
12-05-2015, 16:09
I can also confirm that I have the digital version installed on an external drive and its running fantastic. I've not seen a drop yet. I don't have anything to compare since my xbox defaults installs to my external.

I HAVE had the audio glitch every now and then but it is a minimal issue and I am sure it will be patched soon.

Ixoye56
12-05-2015, 16:18
An external drive will probably be helpful, I think Usb 3 transfer data faster than the internal SATA drive can do, I know that it solves many problems with Horizon 2

FTW Leceur
12-05-2015, 17:15
I all of a sudden have the same fps issue and the game is now unplayable. And i am not even playing online. 19 AI cars on Azure Coast just lags like crazy. Have done a cold reboot on the xbox one and also set all visuals off or lowest, still no sollution. I am now copying my game to my external usb 3.0 1 tb disk, hope that solves it. And can't wait for the patch.

Benja190782
12-05-2015, 17:21
I all of a sudden have the same fps issue and the game is now unplayable. And i am not even playing online. 19 AI cars on Azure Coast just lags like crazy. Have done a cold reboot on the xbox one and also set all visuals off or lowest, still no sollution. I am now copying my game to my external usb 3.0 1 tb disk, hope that solves it. And can't wait for the patch.

That is odd - remember how Forza Horizon 2 did the same thing - first it was fine, but then at some point it got laggy suddenly - is this the same with PCARS on Xbox One?

Do any of you have stuttering replays on external install?

Lukeymonster
12-05-2015, 19:22
So this is interesting.

First background...
I have the digital copy of the game. I 100% installed it on my external usb3 drive. I then applied the patch on launch before playing the game.

I started my career this morning. I did Clio Cup race one at Donnington with all sessions and a full field. It ran beautifully with no issues other than the occasional sound glitch. It felt like a solid 60fps even at the start. I thought, great, the external drive seems to be helping me quite a bit.

Then on to Snetterton which had all sessions running with a mix and light rain and light cloud. The game ran absolutely horrible. It was unplayable. On the slowest and most demanding corners the FPS had to have been in the low teens and on the rest of the course the mid 20s.

Before freaking out I decided to turn off my xbox one and unplug it for awhile. I came back restarted it and ran Snetterton again to see if there was a difference. The sessions were the same...mix of rain and light clouds. It ran perfect. Only a very few minor dips in FPS but completely a non issue gameplay wise. For most of the race, even in the rain, it felt like 60fps including the start.

I am going to continue on to the next race and see if the restart has addressed the issue or if for some reason over time the game starts to dog. If it does start to pig out again, my hope is that since a restart completely fixed the game it is some sort of back end issue that can be addressed.

I will report back with what I find.

FTW Leceur
12-05-2015, 20:32
Ok so copied the entire game over to my external 1TB, USB 3.0 drive. Played some solo races with as much cars as possible. Then also put the visuals back on (everything On except Vignette and SunFlare both set to Chroma). Even played a race with Thunder Storm. The framedropping and tearing is much less than when I had the game on the internal drive. It can still pop up in some places but far less impacting and the game is playable again. Sound crackling still occurs like before, but let's hope a patch will solve both problems. In the back of my mind I do have the knowledge that my problem didn't occur till after a couple of days playing, but I am hoping, nay PRAYING it does not come back! Also with Lukeymonster's post in the back of my head.

Lukeymonster
12-05-2015, 21:21
So this is interesting.

First background...
I have the digital copy of the game. I 100% installed it on my external usb3 drive. I then applied the patch on launch before playing the game.

I started my career this morning. I did Clio Cup race one at Donnington with all sessions and a full field. It ran beautifully with no issues other than the occasional sound glitch. It felt like a solid 60fps even at the start. I thought, great, the external drive seems to be helping me quite a bit.

Then on to Snetterton which had all sessions running with a mix and light rain and light cloud. The game ran absolutely horrible. It was unplayable. On the slowest and most demanding corners the FPS had to have been in the low teens and on the rest of the course the mid 20s.

Before freaking out I decided to turn off my xbox one and unplug it for awhile. I came back restarted it and ran Snetterton again to see if there was a difference. The sessions were the same...mix of rain and light clouds. It ran perfect. Only a very few minor dips in FPS but completely a non issue gameplay wise. For most of the race, even in the rain, it felt like 60fps including the start.

I am going to continue on to the next race and see if the restart has addressed the issue or if for some reason over time the game starts to dog. If it does start to pig out again, my hope is that since a restart completely fixed the game it is some sort of back end issue that can be addressed.

I will report back with what I find.

I've been playing for a few hours since my last post. I am happy to report that the game has been without fault. Silverstone had clear conditions. Olton park had fog into light clouds and didn't miss a beat. Again I hope that this isn't a horsepower issue but instead of some sort of back end optimization issue. Barring that one race at Snetteron where I had the issue, I am experiencing this game handling the demanding situations that are crippling other player experiences without any issues. It's clear in my experience that the Xbox One is capable of delivering a very smooth experience in all of the different conditions. If it is some sort of backend optimization issue, I would hope finding it would only improve our experience with this 4-7% update coming. I would think that the 4%-7% increase would be just gravy on top.

At any rate I really hope that everyone can find workaround success like I did until this game is patched. If you are having issues, keep trying things including what I tried in the above post! The game is truly worth it.

Ixoye56
12-05-2015, 22:55
It is quite obvious that the internal Hdd in the Xbox One is a bottleneck in the system, I have ordered an external usb3 drive today, sooner or later, you are forced to do it anyway to make room for more games.

misery guts
12-05-2015, 23:23
I have all my games stored on a Samsung M3 USB 3 2TB drive. I had Horizon 2 on my internal drive before I bought the external and while it was ok I noticed the game ran smoother when I put it on the external. With Project Cars I rarely notice any frame rate drops and the menus are fast and fluid. A mate of mine has Project Cars on his internal Xbox drive and says he definitely notices drops in frame rate and he finds the menus to be quite slow. Coincidence?

Lukeymonster
13-05-2015, 00:16
I have all my games stored on a Samsung M3 USB 3 2TB drive. I had Horizon 2 on my internal drive before I bought the external and while it was ok I noticed the game ran smoother when I put it on the external. With Project Cars I rarely notice any frame rate drops and the menus are fast and fluid. A mate of mine has Project Cars on his internal Xbox drive and says he definitely notices drops in frame rate and he finds the menus to be quite slow. Coincidence?

I was so focused on the FPS issues that I didn't notice people were having slow menu issues. I also have fast menus and very nice loading times with the game on my external.

Lukeymonster
13-05-2015, 05:04
Just ran a full field of 45 at Le Mans with no issues at all, other than me failing. Some reviews and Digital Foundry said the Xbox One couldn't really handle a full field and provide a decent experience. Something is definitely going on because I am seeing that it can.

durdre
13-05-2015, 05:15
I am 99‰ certain that turning your Xbox off completely before playing Project Cars improves the stability of the FPS rather than relying on the Xbox's Resume Feature!