PDA

View Full Version : Setups, naming, location etc

0XY
10-05-2015, 08:29
Hi,

Can someone explain how this works?

- Can I have more then one setup for my car?
If so how do I name my setups?
my_barca_gp_hotlap,
my_barca_gp_qualify,
my_barca_gp_long,
my_barca_gp_short

-Where can I find these saved setups?

-How do I reset the setups for "Location Group: TRACK, ALL" I think I might have made a save to all locations when fooling around...:culpability:

-When driving "Community Events" are my custom setups applied?

Bealdor
10-05-2015, 08:44
ATM you can only create one setup per car per track. Therefore you don't have a naming option.

OneBadHuskerFan
11-05-2015, 00:25
ATM you can only create one setup per car per track. Therefore you don't have a naming option.

WHAT!? Seriously? Come on guys, who in the world decided this was the best way to go about setups? With all the weather changes along with qualifying and race conditions you can only have 1 setup? I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous.

sirsnifthespeed
11-05-2015, 01:07
I hate it to. Struggled already a lot whit this

sirsnifthespeed
11-05-2015, 01:12
Hi,
-When driving "Community Events" are my custom setups applied?

i think i'm but not sure

Malkiv
11-05-2015, 01:17
WHAT!? Seriously? Come on guys, who in the world decided this was the best way to go about setups? With all the weather changes along with qualifying and race conditions you can only have 1 setup? I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous.

It was the guy in charge of downloading more memory.

NVI0U5
11-05-2015, 01:17
I take photos of my setups so when I can see what works and what doesnt, its annoying but being able to change out easier but its the finer details and tweaks which I have to refer back to the photos for, it'll be better if we could have a dry and wet tune for the cars but guess thats in the throttle application I suppose :)

charliev69
11-05-2015, 11:13

We voiced our concerns during beta testing , but it was either too late or the devs knew better !
This is a major flaw in a racing sim , and needs to be fixed asap .

Also there's no easy way apart from screen shots , of sharing setups between users !!

Bealdor
11-05-2015, 11:53

It's unfortunate but it's one of the bigger UI flaws that just couldn't get ironed out before release.

We voiced our concerns during beta testing , but it was either too late or the devs knew better !
This is a major flaw in a racing sim , and needs to be fixed asap .

Also there's no easy way apart from screen shots , of sharing setups between users !!

Honestly, as a fellow WMD member you should know better...

charliev69
11-05-2015, 12:34
It's unfortunate but it's one of the bigger UI flaws that just couldn't get ironed out before release.

Honestly, as a fellow WMD member you should know better...

Didn't mean to offend , I should have phrased it differently . And in the end we all want the same thing ... for this game to be the best .

F2kSel
11-05-2015, 14:40
Having one setup is insane there are just so many scenarios that can't be catered for with one setup.
Can you even backup your settings or import other peoples, I've not seen any way to do this.
When I reinstalled the game I lost all the work I'd done tuning FFB and setups which wasn't much at this stage.

mcarver2000
11-05-2015, 15:45
I know one can't take this to the bank.... but can one at least hope this is being addressed for the near future. If so, it would also be nice if one was able to add notes to the saved setup.

g33k hack3rs
11-05-2015, 16:28
Having the ability to save multiple setups per car/track combo seems like a very basic feature in a racing game. With wet and dry conditions I would have at least two. Would've liked to be able to save even more so that I can do some basic testing and not lose all my changes before setting on a choice. This seems like a significant oversight and hopefully something that will be addressed soon.

Bealdor
11-05-2015, 16:46
Please guys, don't think for a second that we weren't vocal about this @WMD. There simply wasn't enough time left to implement it properly. Us WMD members also hope that this will be implemented soon.

Luiz Boni
12-05-2015, 00:09
With all due respect, could we have a setup save/load AND DELETE (didn't see this option...) method like in THAT other sim?
Thanks!

Malkiv
12-05-2015, 16:00
Please guys, don't think for a second that we weren't vocal about this @WMD. There simply wasn't enough time left to implement it properly. Us WMD members also hope that this will be implemented soon.

So - what is the status on this? Did SMS give an official response either before or after retail launch, or is the bit about, "There simply wasn't enough time left..." simply speculation? The last bit of your statement leads me to believe it is speculation.

Felice Pugliese
13-05-2015, 09:25
I played a lot of pcars these days and I have to say that the driving model is quite complex some car they really need to fix the set up to adapt to your way of driving and it is amazing to see how small changes radically affect driving. This is to say that the setup is obviously a key part of pcars, if we add the dynamic weather and the track that really changes is hard to think how you can deal with all of this limitations setup so heavy, also another problem for me is the saving setup for the pitstop, have preset is ok but you can activate only one race, okay okay for a planned strategy but what happens with unexpected or damage or climate change? SMS are driving games for many years and I grew up on the glorious GTR so I assume they know how important the issue is therefore the fact that now you have problems with bailouts setup is really something important that can not be solved easily, if you know for the structure of the game or its complexity or physical way, this really could be the only problem that can ruin a perfect experience and immersive. last thing, now the game has done the bulk of sales so it hurts more open to criticism and suggestions if they are made by people who want to see grow PCars.

ChokDK
23-09-2015, 13:15
Noone mentioned a way to actually SAVE all your setups (eg. before a reinstall) - no way to do this?

Snoopy
23-09-2015, 13:30
Noone mentioned a way to actually SAVE all your setups (eg. before a reinstall) - no way to do this?
Hi,
maybe you will/have a look on this one here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?34086-Project-Cars-Tune-Manager&p=1032047&viewfull=1#post1032047
Not tested by myself.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
23-09-2015, 15:25
Noone mentioned a way to actually SAVE all your setups (eg. before a reinstall) - no way to do this?Well unfortunately the setups are saved in your profile file (which is in the Steam folder), so if you're going for a completely fresh install, new profile and everything, you can't save them without using an external setup repository of some kind, which can be a lot of work. If you don't want to wipe your profile though you can always make backups of it.

Carinis
23-09-2015, 17:23

What because 4 months since launch is not enough time to fix a pretty basic oversight, and how late on in development was it noticed and someone said something for it to be too late to fix before release?
I mean come on with all this "made by racers for racers" there really is a LOT basic stuff that is missing.
Is it not common sence that if you have a game with more than one weather setting then you need more than one set up per car/track combo.
Something smells fishy here

F2kSel
23-09-2015, 18:55
Saving setups was talked about for years but whenever the question was brought up the reply usually went something like "it isn't needed in testing as setups would change from patch to patch so would be pointless".

Actually I always thought that was wrong as if you ran a previous setup you could more easily feel the changes to the car from build to build.

23-09-2015, 19:12
There was already an issue with old setups breaking the game when some cars were updated (suspension adjustments, setup ranges, tyre options etc.) so old setups had to be gotten rid of for proper testing. Indeed it was said many times over the years that the system wasn't good and it should be a loose file system (IIRC the first time I said it was sometime in 2012, and probably someone said it before me as well), but apparently it wasn't considered big enough of an issue to cause a further delay to the game to make a whole new system for saving setups from scratch.

Shinzah
23-09-2015, 22:31
There was already an issue with old setups breaking the game when some cars were updated (suspension adjustments, setup ranges, tyre options etc.) so old setups had to be gotten rid of for proper testing. Indeed it was said many times over the years that the system wasn't good and it should be a loose file system (IIRC the first time I said it was sometime in 2012, and probably someone said it before me as well), but apparently it wasn't considered big enough of an issue to cause a further delay to the game to make a whole new system for saving setups from scratch.

Playing Devil's Advocate here -

To be fair, I'm sure SMS seriously considered it but it would require a lot of time encrypting the files and with multiple platforms (and a major platform change from last gen consoles to current gen ones) I could see why SMS didn't include this feature in this iteration. It had some big risks involved. It might have been easily exploited had they not encrypted the files with competency and furthermore encrypting the setup files would have made many people sad as they can't easily modify them without being in the game via first or third party tools.

In the end it was (probably) a matter of containment. Though with the setup database taking the place in a better way of dozens of my pen and paper notebooks, I'm not really bothered about missing this aspect. It's a pain to re-jigger setups for some specific conditions or race types - sure. But it's not that big of a deal.

I am sad it's missing, though.

Flihp
24-09-2015, 04:05
could we get a definite answer from devs/ staff in regards to this.
A simple " yes it's coming" with an approx timeframe, or " no we dropped the idea".

phil

24-09-2015, 10:13
And what if the answer was "We don't know for 100% certain yet, but are investigating"?

Flihp
24-09-2015, 10:46
And what if the answer was "We don't know for 100% certain yet, but are investigating"?

I would file it in the same basket as "NO", because if after several years in the works and 5 months after release they still don't know, I won't have much faith with it for pcars1.

Bealdor
24-09-2015, 10:54
I would file it in the same basket as "NO", because if after several years in the works and 5 months after release they still don't know, I won't have much faith with it for pcars1.

And this jumping to conclusions is the exact reason why you won't get an answer from them until they know it 100%.

Flihp
24-09-2015, 11:39
And this jumping to conclusions is the exact reason why you won't get an answer from them until they know it 100%.

Honestly thought, how can you expect me to feel any different after 4+ month of asking and i am sorry that you take my opinion as jumping to conclusions. It's really nice to know that commenting on a members post about a hypothetical response from sms, gets your knickers in a twist and you feel you need to respond with this. Seriously you lot need to chill and stop treating general members like little kids, we are all entitled to our opinions, but turning this around to saying I won't get an answer because of the way I feel is absolutely disgusting.

Let's move on with this, I don't want to get in a position where you feel you have to ban me.

Phil

pndrev
24-09-2015, 12:38
I'm sorry, but needing an external tool for something basic as this is nonsense... I really hope this gets added soon, it's the reason why I don't bother doing detailed setup work, although I usually love that kind of stuff. Saving and loading is obviously in, all we need is a way of naming the setups. Even old Forza games have this, and pCARS is SO much better than Forza in every other aspect...

MaximusN
24-09-2015, 12:49
I'm sorry, but needing an external tool for something basic as this is nonsense... I really hope this gets added soon, it's the reason why I don't bother doing detailed setup work, although I usually love that kind of stuff. Saving and loading is obviously in, all we need is a way of naming the setups. Even old Forza games have this, and pCARS is SO much better than Forza in every other aspect...
Agreed, I actually quit setting up the car at all. I want to be able to load files, not alt-tab between my sim and Notepad or a website with setups. And be able to make high/mid/lowspeed setups or even a testing setup all at once. It's one of the only gripes I've got(since day one= a lot of years ago).

pndrev
25-09-2015, 07:04
It's even worse than in other games, as the simulation is so detailed. In LFS for example, I have at least one basic setup, one current, stable one and one where I experiment with other adjustments. And that is without any weather simulation where I'd need a rain setup as well. Add to that qualifying setup (though that may or may not be allowed in some series?) and different setups for different race lengths, and it's madness the way it currently is.

Actually, when I first save a setup, I was kind of surprised I wasn't prompted for a name, but thought that maybe there were just some generic saveslots I would have to remember "Slot 1 is my main setup, slot 2 is for rain, slot 3 is for..."

It's kind of funny, as the rest of the game is superb. It just, for me at least, takes away a lot of what I expect of a sim - taking your time to optimise the setup. Can't be bothered.

25-09-2015, 07:45
I on the other hand basically rebuild my setup each and every time just for the fun of it. Guess I'm just weird. =)

Neil Bateman
25-09-2015, 10:19
I think all anybody wants here is some sort of clarification one way or the other.

At some point over the last 4 1/2 years some exploration must have been done regarding how it would/might be possible to change it, if they have found a couple of possabilities but are still working on how to implament them thats fine, if they have worked out a way but have to concentrate on bug fixing first thats fine too, if they have tried but as of yet failed to find a way or have decided its not possible to change, fine, but out of all the above scenarios at least give us all an update on something.

ATM it is ok if your just racing for fun against AI or a quick blast online, but anything more serious than that and its just too much of a pain in the arse, regardless of how the event your taking part in is set up you have 1 attempt to set your car up.

If your in a race from dry to wet you have to decide on a wet, dry or inbetween set up cause you cant even make a basic wing change to help you during a race, for me it cant stay this way because it would force me to go back to AC or rFactor2.

I have been here almost from day 1, and never expected after 4+ years you would need a pen and a peice of paper to be a part of playing this game.

MaximusN
25-09-2015, 10:29
I on the other hand basically rebuild my setup each and every time just for the fun of it. Guess I'm just weird. =)

I guess I'd be okay with that if I drove 1 or 2 cars, but I don't. :) There's too many cars and tracks to keep rebuilding a setup.

What I did with rFactor is tweak a setup(per track) an then save it with the best time achieved in it's name. That way I could easily see if I was working in the right or wrong direction.

If I'd want to do that in PCARS I'd have to do it all on paper. Because I work in IT I categorically refuse to do that, so I don't at all. :panda:

Shinzah
25-09-2015, 16:00
I guess I'd be okay with that if I drove 1 or 2 cars, but I don't. :) There's too many cars and tracks to keep rebuilding a setup.

What I did with rFactor is tweak a setup(per track) an then save it with the best time achieved in it's name. That way I could easily see if I was working in the right or wrong direction.

If I'd want to do that in PCARS I'd have to do it all on paper. Because I work in IT I categorically refuse to do that, so I don't at all. :panda:

I've worked in IT, and I have at least six entire notebooks of Project Cars setups and notes...

In Rfactor and other games I saved my setups by date created/car/track/setup type. So I'd have something like 092515SpecMiataWGIQ.

....and I still had notebooks for Rfactor.

In any case, people want the ultimate simulation, and yet, when it comes to setting up race cars they don't actually want to turn any wrenches. I mean if this truly was a real simulation of being a race driver, you wouldn't be doing any of this at all. You'd just be moaning to a forty year old alcoholic who hates your guts because you can't drive his ultimate speed mechanical masterpiece properly. Now that's realism!

25-09-2015, 20:53
I mean if this truly was a real simulation of being a race driver, you wouldn't be doing any of this at all. You'd just be moaning to a forty year old alcoholic who hates your guts because you can't drive his ultimate speed mechanical masterpiece properly. Now that's realism!Liked for this bit. :D

ElfjeTwaalfje
28-09-2015, 19:01
Just to let you know my support for multiple setup combo's. Not having them, is a mistake. Agree, a developer can only spend one hour once, but any other sim I had has this. And I have LFS from very early on, even prior to S1. Same with rFactor 1, Nascar 2k3, even GPL! I understand the reason, however it sounds like an oversight not yet corrected.

Flihp
23-11-2015, 13:11
Is there any further news on this yet?

Thanks.

jaymondo
23-11-2015, 13:22
Pen a paper mate, its the future apparently.

jaymondo
23-11-2015, 13:30
I have my own IT Company, what has got to do with the lack of setup load/save ?

I am sorry, but your comments are meaningless, I dont care if you and your mates delete my posts (again) its the truth. The Project is seriously lacking this feature.

I would love to see a current F1 or WEC team , setting up their cars with you pen and paper, rather than their laptops loaded with data. I think its time to get real.

I also think your comments about alcoholic forty years olds are out of order, and should of been moderated.

I've worked in IT, and I have at least six entire notebooks of Project Cars setups and notes...

In Rfactor and other games I saved my setups by date created/car/track/setup type. So I'd have something like 092515SpecMiataWGIQ.

....and I still had notebooks for Rfactor.

In any case, people want the ultimate simulation, and yet, when it comes to setting up race cars they don't actually want to turn any wrenches. I mean if this truly was a real simulation of being a race driver, you wouldn't be doing any of this at all. You'd just be moaning to a forty year old alcoholic who hates your guts because you can't drive his ultimate speed mechanical masterpiece properly. Now that's realism!

jaymondo
23-11-2015, 13:34
Totally agree, I love this game, there are some really talented people on this project, but for me, its not complete until this feature which should of been put in from the start is added. When it is, I will buy the DLCs without question, until then. no way.

It's even worse than in other games, as the simulation is so detailed. In LFS for example, I have at least one basic setup, one current, stable one and one where I experiment with other adjustments. And that is without any weather simulation where I'd need a rain setup as well. Add to that qualifying setup (though that may or may not be allowed in some series?) and different setups for different race lengths, and it's madness the way it currently is.

Actually, when I first save a setup, I was kind of surprised I wasn't prompted for a name, but thought that maybe there were just some generic saveslots I would have to remember "Slot 1 is my main setup, slot 2 is for rain, slot 3 is for..."

It's kind of funny, as the rest of the game is superb. It just, for me at least, takes away a lot of what I expect of a sim - taking your time to optimise the setup. Can't be bothered.

Fight-Test
23-11-2015, 15:29
I have my own IT Company, what has got to do with the lack of setup load/save ?

I am sorry, but your comments are meaningless, I dont care if you and your mates delete my posts (again) its the truth. The Project is seriously lacking this feature.

I would love to see a current F1 or WEC team , setting up their cars with you pen and paper, rather than their laptops loaded with data. I think its time to get real.

I also think your comments about alcoholic forty years olds are out of order, and should of been moderated.

Pen and paper? U don't have a laptop or tablet? I get what both of u are saying.

I would need 50 spots to have all the tunes for every senerio. Weather, track temp, qualification, tire compounds, long run, sprint races so it would almost be pointless in a game like this as situations always change just like real life. I do wish I cold atleast have two or three spots for each car/track just so I could have qualification tune ready to go. Shinaz I can tell u spent some time at the track by ur comments, Im picking up what ur putting down.

Flihp
25-11-2015, 08:58
Pen a paper mate, its the future apparently.

Nah, gotta save the trees, it's 2015 not the 80's.,

jaymondo
12-12-2015, 18:16
The setup situation on this project is a joke, these guys are obviously so very talented, but would rather waste efforts on patching for a couple people with the rift, rather than the rest of us, who would get some seriously out of a proper setup system. I cant see how anyone could use this project in a league system like I used to run on Race07/GTR Evolution. I find the Esports thing laughable. Those guys are serious gamers, I can hardly see them wanting to use a Default setups, or waiting whilst people typing in data from a paper notepad.

Luke Townsend
27-12-2015, 13:11
Question to SMS maybe: Is there a way we could overwrite the data in whatever file stores the setups? Then at least we could write an app to upload setups into pcars from our own database. That would be a start until we get multi setups in a future patch.