PDA

View Full Version : Sound Issues on PS4 ?!

xMinzman
10-05-2015, 11:51
Hey Guys,

I have noticed some sound issues if i'm braking my car or speed up it sounds like the audio is cutting out. While i'm driving everything works fine :/
It sounds like disturbances in the speakers. It's only in Project Cars. I have also played driveclub and everything works fine there.
I have tried it with my 5.1 Dolby Gaming Headset and also with HDMI sound.

Anyone noticed that sound problems too ?

Sorry for my bad english i'm from germany :p
Thanks for all your answers ! :)

pa_pinkelman
10-05-2015, 12:47
Had the same problem. A crackling sound, looks like it happens when I am skidding, drifting, through a corner. Sounds lik an corrupted audio file.

Not every car/track

Had it every round in the lmp1 Audi at le mans, especially the last slow chicane right before the finish straight.

Ecfc
10-05-2015, 19:01
Yes I noticed the same not all cars but the ginetta in particular sounds 'crackly' not sure if this was a sound effect as I was in helmet cam but it is a good sound system and being played in DTS :)

xMinzman
10-05-2015, 19:10
okay thanks for the answers :) I hope it will be fixed soon !

Andy Mitchell
10-05-2015, 19:54
I haven't had this exact problem with the sound. The problem I am having is getting all the menu music engine sound etc all to the correct level for me. At the moment menu sounds are good but then I get in a car and find the engine is either extremely loud or far too low.

ytevo79
10-05-2015, 22:17
Twice now I've started a race with no sound except for the countdown beeps. Quitting and starting again solves it but just another bug to add to the list im discovering.

Mascot
11-05-2015, 08:45
More options to tune the audio balance would be most welcome (eg increase/decrease the sounds from other cars, increase/decrease tyre squeal etc).

Other options (graphics, controls) are quite comprehensive but the audio tweaking seems to have been neglected.

Katilla
11-05-2015, 08:54
Audio Problems what you wrote Yes, this is my fault released!
---
Some sound effects are increasing (free adjustment) would be required.
Edge screech of rubber track and strengthening absolutely!

timaloy67
11-05-2015, 09:32
Couple of times i have left the pits and had no engine noise, even after the computer hands control back to me joining the track, still nothing. I hear the gearbox "whine" but thats all.

Its happened at a few tracks. If i leave and come back it has cured the problem.

vipco
11-05-2015, 10:00
My engine sound is great then just randomly drops to a very low level . I've tried various TV settings and headphones but it still drops as if i've turned the TV sound down .

Stuart Hunt
11-05-2015, 10:25
Thanks for the reports, it looks like there are possibly a couple of different issues here though. Regarding the first few posts about cutting out/crackling sounds (xMinzman, pa_pinkelman and Ecfc), can you confirm if it's something like this that you're hearing? (this bug was reported when viewing via the Monitor, but might be related)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBYXiegKje0

xMinzman
11-05-2015, 13:59
Thanks for the reports, it looks like there are possibly a couple of different issues here though. Regarding the first few posts about cutting out/crackling sounds (xMinzman, pa_pinkelman and Ecfc), can you confirm if it's something like this that you're hearing? (this bug was reported when viewing via the Monitor, but might be related)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBYXiegKje0
Hey ! :)

No this is the problem for me : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T58L4awk0RA
2:10 - 2:20
It sounds like disturbances in the speakers when you are braking or speed up the car !
Please tell me that you can hear it in the video.
You can also hear it when you change the view of the car.

I got this sound issue not in every car ! but mostly in the renault megane rs and in audi r8 v10 plus.

And 2:20 - 2:30 you also can hear the sound issues while he is changing the view to cockpit.

Mr_D
11-05-2015, 20:31

It sounds like disturbances in the speakers when you are braking or speed up the car !

I got this sound issue not in every car ! but mostly in the renault megane rs and in audi r8 v10 plus.

And 2:20 - 2:30 you also can hear the sound issues while he is changing the view to cockpit.

I couldnt hear it in the youtube video you posted, but I think I have a similar problem. Sometimes I hear a cracking sound when changing gears, this sounds like when you unplug an audio cable and you hear a short crack through the speakers..its usually when I have a large grid and high volume. I play with a Turtld Beach Stealth 400 headset.

Someone else on the GTPlanet forums had the same issue btw

xMinzman
11-05-2015, 21:53
I couldnt hear it in the youtube video you posted, but I think I have a similar problem. Sometimes I hear a cracking sound when changing gears, this sounds like when you unplug an audio cable and you hear a short crack through the speakers..its usually when I have a large grid and high volume. I play with a Turtld Beach Stealth 400 headset.

This is exactly what i mean and what you can hear in the video :) I hope for a patch soon

SpaceMachine
11-05-2015, 21:56
LOTS of sound pops and cuts. Worsened if there's a large field. Certain cars seem more prone to issues, commonly the engine sound dropping completely.

I will endeavour to upload to YouTube soonest. It's a crying shame. I was hoping to be uploading a truckload of cool clips, not buggy ones...

xMinzman
11-05-2015, 22:04
LOTS of sound pops and cuts. Worsened if there's a large field. Certain cars seem more prone to issues, commonly the engine sound dropping completely.

I will endeavour to upload to YouTube soonest. It's a crying shame. I was hoping to be uploading a truckload of cool clips, not buggy ones...

Yeah it's very sad cause it would be a really cool game without the bugs :/
Please post the YouTube Videos then in this thread :)

Stephen Baysted
12-05-2015, 07:43

Hi there - from what I can hear from your You Tube video you are hearing the sound of the blow off valve of the turbo as you change gear, and under heavy braking for that chicane the car is bottoming out (hitting the track) so you are hearing the car scrape the track. I will listen once again when I get to my studio this morning to confirm.

Pablo2008jedi
12-05-2015, 08:15
Had a few instances of no engine sound. But this is the ONLY game I have to turn my sound system down to 8 as its soo loud! Usually on PS4 games its 16-18 and watching TV its 20-22.

I use optical out, I think the sound is being outputted at too high a value for some systems to handle.

tommme
12-05-2015, 16:40
having the same problem with crackling sound in project cars , sound almost like the speaker is broken.
This problem is only in project cars !

pa_pinkelman
12-05-2015, 20:24

This is exactly how i would describe it.like a audio cable wich makes bad contact. It is not how it is supposed to sound, thats for sure.It happens through hdmi and optical.
I will check tonight if i can reproduce it

bent_toe
12-05-2015, 20:34
I get this on the Formula A car...

pa_pinkelman
12-05-2015, 21:06
I ve been able to reproduce this problem:

Take the lmp1 audi at 24 hours le mans circuit. Full field of cars, multi class race over 10 rounds. Rolling start from 38th position (random position). Directly after the green light when driving through the last chicanes before the start/finish straight I can hear the cracking sound. This keeps happenning at various places during the race.

It looks like the audio engine cant cope with all the cars on the road.

However I remember having this also during my career in the formula rookie with much less cars. But this was after several hours of continious playing I believe.

Hope you guys can sort this out.

xMinzman
13-05-2015, 17:17
I ve been able to reproduce this problem:

Take the lmp1 audi at 24 hours le mans circuit. Full field of cars, multi class race over 10 rounds. Rolling start from 38th position (random position). Directly after the green light when driving through the last chicanes before the start/finish straight I can hear the cracking sound. This keeps happenning at various places during the race.

It looks like the audio engine cant cope with all the cars on the road.

However I remember having this also during my career in the formula rookie with much less cars. But this was after several hours of continious playing I believe.

Hope you guys can sort this out.

Yep i've got the same problem ! really annoying :(

HarryHoodlum
13-05-2015, 17:22
I'm hearing the crackling sound with the Ginetta, which is the car I'm using in career mode. Can't speak for the other cars just yet as I've only played 2.5 hours total.

xMinzman
13-05-2015, 17:27
I'm hearing the crackling sound with the Ginetta, which is the car I'm using in career mode. Can't speak for the other cars just yet as I've only played 2.5 hours total.

Could you try the Audi R8 V10 Plus ? There is also an annoying issue which sounds like audio cable makes bad contact.
I just want to hear the engine sound and nothing else !

Praggia
13-05-2015, 19:14
During replays too all you can hear is your own car and the other car sounds are almost non existent

Krazee DD
13-05-2015, 19:20
What the....im an audiophile and somehow I missed this glitch.

Gonna keep an ear out tonight.

HarryHoodlum
13-05-2015, 20:01
Could you try the Audi R8 V10 Plus ? There is also an annoying issue which sounds like audio cable makes bad contact.
I just want to hear the engine sound and nothing else !

I'll give it a whirl after work, sure. I can hear some pretty minute details with the PS4 Gold Wireless headset. The sound in the game is incredible, so I'd assume this is just a corrupt audio file that pops up in certain vehicles. Think it might be triggered by skidding but I'm not sure.

xMinzman
13-05-2015, 20:13
So with the LMP Cars on 24h Track you can hear the sound issues very good ! :/

IrideGravity
13-05-2015, 21:04
More options to tune the audio balance would be most welcome (eg increase/decrease the sounds from other cars, increase/decrease tyre squeal etc).

Other options (graphics, controls) are quite comprehensive but the audio tweaking seems to have been neglected.

Yes this ^^^ So far I have noticed that the tire squeal is muted at times. Not really much of a difference between happy tires making good traction and abused tires being overworked. When you lock up badly into a corner, it doesn't sound any different than if you had nailed it under perfect breaking. There's a disconnect there that could use some more levels of detail to inform the driver as the grip level is exceeded.

Hengist
13-05-2015, 21:55
I'm also getting audio pops and crackles (as well as no engine sound on a few occasions when exiting the pit) on PS4. I've spoken with friends who have the game and they tell me it happens to them too.

Gutterkisser
14-05-2015, 02:13
I'm glad I found this thread - I've noticed the audio pops/clicks driving a number of cars and it's extremely off-putting. Especially when using headphones (Sony Gold Wireless).

As others described, it sounds like a bad audio cable connection. It mostly happens during gear changes, like the engine audio transitions aren't smooth and audio files are cutting in/out when they're peaking.

I can save some clips of it occurring if necessary, but I hope this can be resolved as my ears are particularly sensitive to these sort of audio pops.

Iwanchek
14-05-2015, 10:19
my problems with sound is sometimes when the race starts i can only hear the beeping start light, no sound from the car or other cars...restart the seassion fix this one....but this is not a solution!

Stephen Baysted
14-05-2015, 11:43
I'm glad I found this thread - I've noticed the audio pops/clicks driving a number of cars and it's extremely off-putting. Especially when using headphones (Sony Gold Wireless).

As others described, it sounds like a bad audio cable connection. It mostly happens during gear changes, like the engine audio transitions aren't smooth and audio files are cutting in/out when they're peaking.

I can save some clips of it occurring if necessary, but I hope this can be resolved as my ears are particularly sensitive to these sort of audio pops.

hey there - can you make a video of this please?

Cheers

Beans n Chips
16-05-2015, 13:38
Stephen Baysted
Appreciate your feedback and solving issues.
My main issues is with the audio volumes/mix with the engine overpowering other effects including stereo/directional positioning for other cars and tyres/kerbs. Opponent cars seem to have low volume and little audible presence particularly in BASS/dynamics.

The current audio options do little to tweak this and are too limited for USER personalisation...

Curious if a future update will be possible with reference to this @ GT Planet...
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/project-cars-audio-discussion-likes-dislikes-wants.328341/

Why oh why SLIGHTLY MAD do we ONLY have a paltry 2 sliders for general audio "Engine & FX" adjustments. Yet graphics and control options, these are in galore and total abundance!

Personally believe the audio department has overlooked the customisation the game so proudly promotes itself on and hoping for more customisation in the future being added.

Who would like volume/sliders to cover for example:

Tyre Squeel & Brake Noise
Bumps & Rumble Strips
Engine & Exhaust
Crash Bangs & Bottoming
Other car volumes
Environment noises (crowds / tunnels)

Beans n Chips
16-05-2015, 16:15
STEREO = NO?

Just a follow up but some info on a simple test for people to do

Do not believe the issue is track or car specific:
However I tested with BMW Z3 @ Silverstone National.

Hardware:
Yamaha & Sony 7.1 AV Amplifiers / Sennheiser HD600
I used headphone output for direct auditioning.

Please give this a go...
Most racing games will utilise simple stereo placement for directional effects, an important factor for a racing game and immersion.
Currently my experience of this in Project Cars is rather disappointing as in general the audio badly lacks any satisfying, yet distinctive directional positioning.

STEREO ANALYSIS TYRES
Barriers / Grass / Rumble Strips / Gravel

Take a car on track, test your left or right tyres by placing only them off track or smashed into a wall/barrier.
You would expect like in most racing games for the effects relating to the left/right to be clearly evident on the appropriate side/channel.
Why then with both left wheels in the gravel is the effect heard on the right side, even at all or seemingly at a similar volume?

STEREO ANALYSIS OPPONENTS OVERTAKING
Same effect, cars on the left can be heard in the right and lacking audio that clearly defines the power of their engines/exhausts as a directional cue related to their positioning.

Thoughts?

Mr_D
17-05-2015, 00:04
This is exactly what i mean and what you can hear in the video :) I hope for a patch soon

Today I played for about 6hours and didnt have the audio cracking once, even with a 45 car grid on La Sarthe. I turned down all the volume levels in the ingame audio menu from 100% to 70% or lower. Maybe this had something to do with it, not sure yet but worth a try if you have this issue.

Im on ps4 btw

Nebbs
17-05-2015, 19:03
Hi all, loving the game so far however I have an issue (I think?) Does this bottoming out audio effect sound right or is it corrupt? Sounds just like bursts of white noise rather than a scrapping bottoming out sound?

http://youtu.be/otalHJjmDJs

Stuart Hunt
18-05-2015, 12:37
Hi all, loving the game so far however I have an issue (I think?) Does this bottoming out audio effect sound right or is it corrupt? Sounds just like bursts of white noise rather than a scrapping bottoming out sound?

It is the right sound, but it doesn't sound balanced properly (it also seems to be triggering too easily for that car, a separate issue). Do you have your engine volume slider set lower than your sound effects volume slider? It's possible they're in different categories, and it should really be balanced along with the car sounds.

ceeece
18-05-2015, 13:40
I'm not getting the pit engineer sound through headphones.

xMinzman
20-05-2015, 08:13
Today I played for about 6hours and didnt have the audio cracking once, even with a 45 car grid on La Sarthe. I turned down all the volume levels in the ingame audio menu from 100% to 70% or lower. Maybe this had something to do with it, not sure yet but worth a try if you have this issue.

Im on ps4 btw

that don't help me :( i got the same audio cracking also on 70%..

madmax2069
20-05-2015, 09:18
One of the sound issues that also bug me is during a online race, the other players car engine sounds cut out/skip at low speeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpaHeWt6rmY

middle finger
20-05-2015, 10:23
I had some audio issues, engine sound was suppressed in comparison to other sounds.

townnet
20-05-2015, 16:01

Cheers
1. Missing "Start Engine" effect.
2. Sound noisy when RPM reach to max.

Note: This is PC Version, i believe all platform have similar issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBdlF9KQQLY

Mr_D
20-05-2015, 18:43
You're right, I still have it as well. I also found out the RUF RGT-8 allways has this problem, even in timetrial etc.

Webley1000
20-05-2015, 20:10
Just noticed that mine is the only car I can hear in TV Replays.

TheStigsCanadianCousin
20-05-2015, 20:20
Project Cars is a very loud game.. I say this because I usually have my surround system at about 9, and with project cars I have to lower it to 5, and that's with the games audio settings turned down to about 60%. Try adjusting the in game sound and see if the clipping stops.

townnet
20-05-2015, 23:17

Cheers

Sound suddenly pop in and pop out, this make unnatural sound to spectacle view.

Note: This is PC Version, i believe all platform have similar issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b14YlAaxEMA

Fanapryde
25-05-2015, 15:50
SOUND BUG !?

While trying several cars today (at several tracks) I noticed weird crackling sound from the back speakers (I use a Logitech Z906 5.1 surround set on PS4).
It sounds as if the speakers are damaged (they are not).

The Audi starts at lower revs, the other three mainly in higher revs, but the sound stops when releasing the throttle, starting again when throttle is activated again.
It is only there in cockpit view, not with follow cam.
These cars are affected:

- Aston Martin Rapide S Hydrogen Hybrid
- Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3
- Audi R8 LMS Ultra
- Ginetta G55 GT3

(maybe more to discover ?)

This sound is very disturbing, makes the cars unusable.
Most of the cars I tried are not affected.

calvins48
28-05-2015, 15:54
Getting horrible sound issues everywhere in the game. Menu music, cars, everything. I get a warblely echoing sound and sound freezes almost constantly. Like that horrible "whuuurrrr" when a pc freezes. Any help please?

Thanks!

MULTIVITZ
28-05-2015, 15:58
Mine started a race in silence, but came back when restarted race. Only happend like 3 times in 60 hours of play.

nhraracer
28-05-2015, 16:00
Genetta gt3 car sound is bugged on ps4. Interior camera view the car sounds like it's in a massive wind storm.

MULTIVITZ
28-05-2015, 16:01
Not on mine feller!

nhraracer
28-05-2015, 16:04
Not on mine feller!

Go try the genetta gt3 interior view and let me know. Just try it again if you don't mind. Not sure why it would be bugged for me and not anyone else?!

madmax2069
28-05-2015, 17:19
Yeah, I see a few different audio issues, engine sounds, brake, even tire sounds disappearing diring a race.

As well as other audio related issues.

Bouyo
29-05-2015, 00:57
I have to agree that the audio on most engine sounds can cut out or jump around between different cars when there's a bunch up. Maybe the PS4 can't handle so many sound channels at once?

I'm playing this all through a nice amp with B&W602's so it ought to sound like a lion purring.

Fre.Mo
29-05-2015, 11:19
I also noticed sound issues on ps4: no sound, noise like saturation or clipping...

xMinzman
30-05-2015, 11:04
i hope that the patch will fix all of the sound bugs..

Stephen Baysted
30-05-2015, 12:37
Go try the genetta gt3 interior view and let me know. Just try it again if you don't mind. Not sure why it would be bugged for me and not anyone else?!

Doug are you able to do a video capture of this so we can diagnose?

nhraracer
02-06-2015, 03:03
Doug are you able to do a video capture of this so we can diagnose?

I am not familiar with the video capture, but i will do my best to get a clip for you. Thanks for asking. One of my favorite cars and can't really enjoy it right now. This is on ps4 version. I'll message you once i get the clip.

nhraracer
02-06-2015, 04:46
I sent you the videos @Stephan Baysted.

SeuPadrin
09-06-2015, 12:42
Hello my friends. I had the same problem. Try to go to audio settings. Remove the audio from 100% to 70%. It works for me. So simple. MONSTER GAME !!!!

Bruno Alexandre
11-06-2015, 10:18
Hello my friends. I had the same problem. Try to go to audio settings. Remove the audio from 100% to 70%. It works for me. So simple. MONSTER GAME !!!!

Which issue did that solved exactly SeuPadrin ?

To the others, could you please attempt to set both game and TV/Monitor to 50% (or less) and see if it helps ?

deirflu
15-06-2015, 08:07
I have the same problem with the cracking noise.

I made a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmA7wJtWaXw

At second 5 you can hear it the first time. And then at 1:00 a few times.

I noticed the noise in all GT3 Cars, some more some less, mostly during shifting and deceleration.

I play with a turtebeach 500 and thought the noise comes from them.
After i tested it with a few other speakers and headphones iam shure it comes from the game and it is realy anoying.

I testet the "resolve" with the game volume, but it doesent help.

r4y30n
15-06-2015, 23:13

Cheers

I've seen this issue on my PC specifically during most gear changes and pretty much all cars. I don't have video to back this up but it looks directly related to shift logic. Every time I shift and hear the crackle I see the throttle flickering on the telemetry HUD between zero and full as it tries to match revs. I've also noticed if I stab the throttle myself on downshifts this behavior does not happen, probably because I've pushed the revs higher than they needed to be.

Gaz B 007
15-06-2015, 23:55
Couple of times i have left the pits and had no engine noise, even after the computer hands control back to me joining the track, still nothing. I hear the gearbox "whine" but thats all.

Its happened at a few tracks. If i leave and come back it has cured the problem.

Exactly the same problem for me. Spotted it a few times now and it's always seems to happen to me with LMP's. Most recent one was with Alpine A450 at Nurburgring GP.

Bouyo
16-06-2015, 02:42
*Reposted this from general discussion forum 'sound in this game'*

Can anyone confirm this issue I'm having? It's a real blot for me in terms of the sound quality. Thanks for your thoughts (again.)

Here's a shot of the sound file from my posted video. I've highlighted the clipping (which is red).
Interestingly, one of the two 'pops' I've identified in the clip doesn't occur at a clipped point. The first pop is in an unclipped region (between second and third red lines) then the second pop is in the third clipped red line (hope I'm making sense)

Here's a link to the audio file I created which loops each popping sound segment so you can get a good listen. Incidentally I could hear the popping on my iPad, couldn't on iMac speakers, and could on Sennheiser SP-25's. The speakers I use for PCars are B&W 602's if that's of any interest.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6LES_C-gg2eNWRXbWJXNkc3d3M/view?usp=sharing

I'm just curious as to what's going on ... I really do love the sound in this game, it would just be perfect if this popping didn't occur. Thanks for your interest.

Bouyo
16-06-2015, 02:43
I have the same problem with the cracking noise.

I made a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmA7wJtWaXw

At second 5 you can hear it the first time. And then at 1:00 a few times.

I noticed the noise in all GT3 Cars, some more some less, mostly during shifting and deceleration.

I play with a turtebeach 500 and thought the noise comes from them.
After i tested it with a few other speakers and headphones iam shure it comes from the game and it is realy anoying.

I testet the "resolve" with the game volume, but it doesent help.

Finally someone else who can hear this and thinks that it's not right!

MiDe Hammer
16-06-2015, 06:30

This has also happened to me quite a few times. It was very common when i played career in GT4 Astaon Martin Vanquish. No engine noise, but when i exit the race and come back it works.

Stephen Baysted
16-06-2015, 14:06
Finally someone else who can hear this and thinks that it's not right!

Guys, you're bouncing off the limiter (which is an aggressive additional looping sample simulating the hard limiter which cuts in at a certain level stopping the engine sample. And sometimes it will stop the sample not at a convenient zero-crossing point in the audio file). In the scheme of things this is a tiny little audio artefact that 99.9% players do not notice and that doesn't always present itself in normal play. We will see if we can iron this out in a future patch.

Bouyo
16-06-2015, 17:53
... sometimes it will stop the sample not at a convenient zero-crossing point in the audio file). In the scheme of things this is a tiny little audio artefact that 99.9% players do not notice and that doesn't always present itself in normal play. We will see if we can iron this out in a future patch.

I really would be extremely grateful if this could be ironed out as you say. It is a small artifact, but it's there for me like a dead pixel on a screen. I'm sure that it's not noticeable to a lot of players, but even if there are 0.01% people with nice sound equipment who can hear it, that's still thousands of people!

Is there a way to fade/bleed the audio sample quickly to smooth it when the code cuts it off?

Thanks for your response, it's much appreciated and lets me know that my equipment isn't faulty. Also if I haven't mentioned before, the sounds in this game are just wonderful, they really are. I constantly find myself switching from my regular helmet cam to outside views briefly so I can hear the noises from different angles and in different settings, the directional acoustics are brilliant.

RockyAlexander
17-06-2015, 02:37
Genetta gt3 car sound is bugged on ps4. Interior camera view the car sounds like it's in a massive wind storm.

Just tried driving the Ginetta GT3 tonight. Doug is absolutely correct, driving that car sounds as if you're driving on an unpaved road in a hurricane. It's horrible. Crackly, overpowering. What a letdown. The car handles like a dream. This is more than just a little crackle, this is without question a major audio bug.

RockyAlexander
17-06-2015, 03:48
Unfortunately, driving the Ginetta GT3 is out of the question until this is fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlaYNeTpp90

deirflu
17-06-2015, 19:06
I really would be extremely grateful if this could be ironed out as you say. It is a small artifact, but it's there for me like a dead pixel on a screen. I'm sure that it's not noticeable to a lot of players, but even if there are 0.01% people with nice sound equipment who can hear it, that's still thousands of people!

Is there a way to fade/bleed the audio sample quickly to smooth it when the code cuts it off?

Thanks for your response, it's much appreciated and lets me know that my equipment isn't faulty. Also if I haven't mentioned before, the sounds in this game are just wonderful, they really are. I constantly find myself switching from my regular helmet cam to outside views briefly so I can hear the noises from different angles and in different settings, the directional acoustics are brilliant.

+1

I love the Porsche GT3, but the artefacts are so upsetting. Please find a solution for this asap!!!

And an another +1 for the Ginetta GT3 sound...horrible.

nhraracer
17-06-2015, 19:27
I for one am not bouncing off the rev limiter, Here is a poor video, but you can hear what i am experiencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNYR5U-lZ4k

criveraz86
17-06-2015, 20:34
I had this problem too... Playing on Monza/Formula "C"... The sound of the engine just dissapeared... I tought i was blown my engine but no... a few seconds later sound came back.

FS7
17-06-2015, 20:47
I've had the problem mentioned in the OP but only with the Audi R8 LMS & Aston Martin Vantage GT3.

RockyAlexander
17-06-2015, 21:30
Here's another video of the Ginetta GT3 audio. This guy is apparently playing on Xbox One, so it isn't only a PS4 issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfNFBoYXsjg

deirflu
18-06-2015, 06:29
I for one am not bouncing off the rev limiter...

I also donīt think the problem comes from the limiter because i can here it when i shift not even close to the limiter and when i declererate and some times when i just roll an hit the curbs.

In my opinion the problem are interruptions of the engine soundfile from other sounds.

Thake a Porsche GT3 on Nordschleife and use Headphones. In this config it happens the most time.

Katilla
18-06-2015, 07:34
TIME TRIAL GT - Audi R8 LMS ULTRA on Snetterton 300
after a small collision
continuously leave the engine sounds!!

MULTIVITZ
19-06-2015, 08:32
I think the sound dropouts need addressing, lazy sound engineering is what it is. Come on guys, SMS were on a limited budget, cut 'em some slack. The cars sound great, it's the sound track engineering that needs tidying up and surround sound processed professionally.
I wonder if this post gets agreement from the developers?

Raikku
20-06-2015, 02:02
Today I started to drive Imola with Gr.A BMW 320 and I didn't had engine sounds at all. When I drove other cars & went also back with 320 I had sounds again.

lloydyUK
20-06-2015, 08:37
XBOX One version:
first of all. loving the game, just finished kart one season and done an invitational. been in the focus, r8 and karts.
ive had sound issues in all the vehicles so far which is a shame. Cant pin point it to exactly when it comes in as its randomly occurring.

Sounds like the engine is getting stuck at a certain rev and then looping over and over. lasts about 15 - 30 seconds before clearing up.
Happened on all the tracks i have played so far.

it really is the only thing letting it down at the moment. hopefully a wee patch can square it away... :)

MULTIVITZ
20-06-2015, 08:59
I'm sorry to hear you've had trouble that bad. The BMW turbo sounds great but the back fires have been recorded with a low decibel microphone and dropouts occure at high volume. This is without any game malfunction. Not that you could call it a game imo.

McLari
20-06-2015, 17:29
I have experienced the same issues, sound drops, crackling sound on the Le Mans track, driving the RUF GT3. But I experienced something else, more annoying. Driving in cockpit view, shiffting manually, I shift mostly based on engine sound/refs. At a certain stage after passing some cars the cockpit get filled with sounds from other cars and it becomes impossible to shift on the sound of your own engine. I use optical out on a 5.1 sound system and I can adjust the sound specific to the (rear) surround speakers so my own engine sound is a little more amplified. Restarting the game solves the problem. I had this on two ocassions, same car, same track.

Ian Bell
20-06-2015, 18:36
I'm sorry to hear you've had trouble that bad. The BMW turbo sounds great but the back fires have been recorded with a low decibel microphone and dropouts occure at high volume. This is without any game malfunction. Not that you could call it a game imo.

Final warning MULTI.

No need for infractions mods. Just remove him on the next smarmy passive aggressive abuse post.

Bouyo
21-06-2015, 01:10
Final warning MULTI.

No need for infractions mods. Just remove him on the next smarmy passive aggressive abuse post.

That's funny, I read his 'you couldn't call it a game' as meaning that it was so much more than a simple game, but I guess he means what you're thinking ....

yopp90
21-06-2015, 03:43
I'm on ps4 and I've checked my settings many times but I've never heard my engineer talk to me in a race! After racing with a buddy of mine I could hear his and realised I'd turn him off anyway. Has anyone else had this issue? I feel aside from a few hiccups this is the best racing game on the market.

flyoffacliff
21-06-2015, 22:05
Final warning MULTI.

Huh? What did he do? :eek-new: The "Head of Studio" publicly threatening to ban a customer for discussing an issue really makes me hesitant to buy the game. IMO Unnecessary censorship will just make people post even worse comments about the game on other forums that you can't control; it just hurts your community/customers. :friendly_wink:

Slicker_VR
22-06-2015, 15:16
I haven't had this exact problem with the sound. The problem I am having is getting all the menu music engine sound etc all to the correct level for me. At the moment menu sounds are good but then I get in a car and find the engine is either extremely loud or far too low.

they can be adjusted individually in the main options/audio screen

VR-42
22-06-2015, 17:29
I get the aero/ wind noise going too loud so I cant hear the engine

jhonatas
22-06-2015, 18:30
I have my Ps4 Connected to a Home theater Onkyo HT 3500 5.1, but I can not hear all the sounds of the game, especially the sound of tires, you hear nothing of the tires. So prefito use the Headset Gold 7.1 Sony Wireless, because with it the sound becomes much more engaging and can hear the sound of the tires perfectly.

lloydyUK
22-06-2015, 20:33
Final warning MULTI.

Hi Ian, i think you mistook my post there. I was expressing a genuine concern to a defect that was all. Its actually my job as a software tester to raise concerns daily, without offending dev teams. A difficult job, as you just proved. There was no passive aggresive slant to it. by the way, i genuinely love the game. im posting more and more on small things im finding to help you guys out. not to be a troll. i take my job seriously as well as my hobbies.

Stuart Hunt
26-06-2015, 12:54
Regarding the missing sounds when starting a race bug, the best repro we had for it was :-

1. Load a race.
2. Quit out of it almost immediately after the race has loaded.
3. The race sounds (but not starter beeps) will be missing in the following race.
4. Race sounds go back to normal if you restart, or load another race.

That's now fixed and will be in the following patch (not the one getting prepared for release shortly). The various reports suggested there might be more to it than this, but it's possible the low occurence was just because it was only seen after quitting races quickly. Hopefully this fix will solve any loss of race sounds anyway.

denis74
26-06-2015, 14:41
Also missing sounds on Xbox One. I hope this fix go to both consoles!!

Stuart Hunt
26-06-2015, 23:50
Also missing sounds on Xbox One. I hope this fix go to both consoles!!

Yes, the bug would have affected all platforms depending on timings.

Slicker_VR
30-06-2015, 23:17
STEREO = NO?

Just a follow up but some info on a simple test for people to do

Do not believe the issue is track or car specific:
However I tested with BMW Z3 @ Silverstone National.

Hardware:
Yamaha & Sony 7.1 AV Amplifiers / Sennheiser HD600
I used headphone output for direct auditioning.

Please give this a go...
Most racing games will utilise simple stereo placement for directional effects, an important factor for a racing game and immersion.
Currently my experience of this in Project Cars is rather disappointing as in general the audio badly lacks any satisfying, yet distinctive directional positioning.

STEREO ANALYSIS TYRES
Barriers / Grass / Rumble Strips / Gravel

Take a car on track, test your left or right tyres by placing only them off track or smashed into a wall/barrier.
You would expect like in most racing games for the effects relating to the left/right to be clearly evident on the appropriate side/channel.
Why then with both left wheels in the gravel is the effect heard on the right side, even at all or seemingly at a similar volume?

STEREO ANALYSIS OPPONENTS OVERTAKING
Same effect, cars on the left can be heard in the right and lacking audio that clearly defines the power of their engines/exhausts as a directional cue related to their positioning.

Thoughts?

did you ever get a response on this particular point - it seems to have slipped by un-noticed, but i agree stereo placement is very important and does appear to be lacking here - very hard to tell where nearby cars are if not visible.
don't know if it could be fixed in this game, but must be for pcars 2, please

Frippe
07-07-2015, 20:50
Got me a new TV a week ago and for some reason, I get massive crackling sound from my surround now. Especially from the center speaker. I didn't have it when I had my old TV, but seeing that it only happens in Project Cars, and others seems to have this problem, I don't think it is a problem with my setup.

It happens a lot when the car is revving high, or when I sometimes drives over the curbs.

Fanatest
07-07-2015, 22:26
@Stuart will we see the PCM 7.1 issue in PS4 resolved?

Currently outputting 7.1 on PS4 completely ignores the rears. There is no content ever sent to the rear channels under any circumstances. The PS4 does engage the AVR with full 7.1 and is set to 7.1 (not 5.1) and the AVR / Rears etc work in all other scenarios. However PCars on PS4 had 2 completely silent rears.

XBO does not have this issue under the same conditions?

hllbll
12-07-2015, 09:10
Got me a new TV a week ago and for some reason, I get massive crackling sound from my surround now. Especially from the center speaker. I didn't have it when I had my old TV, but seeing that it only happens in Project Cars, and others seems to have this problem, I don't think it is a problem with my setup.

It happens a lot when the car is revving high, or when I sometimes drives over the curbs.

Same issue here, PS4 + Onkyo TX-NR3010 + projector, T500RS + TH8A. And 5.0 speaker setting.

Stuart Hunt
14-07-2015, 23:04

Same issue here, PS4 + Onkyo TX-NR3010 + projector, T500RS + TH8A. And 5.0 speaker setting.
Maybe worth checking or re-auto detecting your PS4 audio output settings, as changing TV might have made the PS4 switch to your new TV's HDMI output rather than your receiver? My Onkyo (different model) just runs with the defaults.

Napalmhardcore
01-11-2015, 19:15
I didn't see this in the thread when I searched but the Ruf RGT-8 seems to have the issue others have described of an audio interuption on pretty much every gear change (not actually every gear change, but it happens a lot with this car). If it is supposed to be in the game then I must admit that I'm not a fan of that sound because it sounds exactly like when I've had issues in recording software (when the latency is set too low or you have too many effects).

Edit: FYI it is when I'm doing practice on Nordschleife, if that makes any difference when trying to replicate.

Edit 2: Very shortly after posting, the audio bugged out completely. I had gone into the menu and lowered the volume to 80% to see if it was some kind of audio clipping (though I thought it unlikely). This didn't resolve it so I went back to the menu and brought the volume back up to 100%. I then decided to drive a different car (Renault Megane). When I began to drive, the acceleration volume was very low but the deceleration volume was at normal volume, so I rebooted the game and the volume seemed to be normal again.

Regardless of car I have found that there are little audio pops etc (like as I described when I've had issues in recording software) here and there throughout the game. I noted the RGT-8 above as it seems to exhibit it more than some other cars I've tested. The most prominant audio pop is when I select restart session. As I play with headphones (via a Mixamp Pro), these issues are obvious compared to if I were using speakers.

M-Bimmer
02-11-2015, 21:46
For those of you having issues, is it the blu ray or digital edition?
Do you think the issue is related to the latest patch or?
Have the digital edition here and haven't noticed any audio/sound issues.
(My ps4 has 1 TB segate SSHD but doubt this makes any difference)

Here is an old vid.

http://youtu.be/7ukrI2vwjhE

And a recent one

http://youtu.be/W5bGC8FuWMo

Borez
03-11-2015, 19:08
I'm an audio engineer by trade who specialises in digital sound and I play the game in my studio on ADAM monitors so I'm listening to a high level of detail. I hear all sorts of random issues going on with the audio in this game every time I play it, but to be honest there's a lot of feeds going on in real time with the cars, especially if you're racing in a pack and I presume they've implemented some sort of priority system to cope with processing multiple audio threads. I could be wrong here though, it's just an assumption.

Apart from this I think the car sounds in this game are pretty awesome, especially when you whack the volume up.

It's like a million times better than the damn hairdryers they have in GT5 that's for sure.

The only one that really bothers me in that respect is that bug you get now and again where the engine noise drops way below the road noise and you're stuck with this for the full race. That annoys the hell out of me.

wyldanimal
03-11-2015, 20:21
BEATS audio is the Best
Beats Pill XL

Napalmhardcore
04-11-2015, 04:17
I Googled them and the second result was about a recall on account of them being a fire risk :eek:

I'll stick with my Wharfedales or AKGs for now :p

Photonmonkey
04-11-2015, 08:48
I seem to be getting more sound issues lately, I have had no sound at all in practice on a few occasions in one incident I had to quit the game fully and go back in to get sound working again, but the one that happens the most in a lot of cars is that numerous times the audio drops out when accelerating, as soon as I release the throttle the sound comes back, I use cockpit view and it is apparent in the replays, as it is in practice mode it is very noticeable as only one car on track. This happens I would say about one in ten times when jumping into a fresh practice session with a new car or track. It is at the moment my most annoying bug, I think it has been there since day one but seems worse now, I am on the digital download edition by the way.

lazpete
04-11-2015, 09:37
I seem to be getting more sound issues lately, I have had no sound at all in practice on a few occasions in one incident I had to quit the game fully and go back in to get sound working again, but the one that happens the most in a lot of cars is that numerous times the audio drops out when accelerating, as soon as I release the throttle the sound comes back, I use cockpit view and it is apparent in the replays, as it is in practice mode it is very noticeable as only one car on track. This happens I would say about one in ten times when jumping into a fresh practice session with a new car or track. It is at the moment my most annoying bug, I think it has been there since day one but seems worse now, I am on the digital download edition by the way.

Had this exact issues with the acc sound since i first bought the game (retail blue ray) on release day. Its random, and has happened to all cars ive been driving so far, most FC, GT3 and now BWM M3.

wyldanimal
10-11-2015, 16:42
BEATS audio is the Best
Beats Pill XL

I Googled them and the second result was about a recall on account of them being a fire risk :eek:

I'll stick with my Wharfedales or AKGs for now :p

Ahh, I was being Sarcastic with that Post..
Don't waste your Money on Beats Audio anything...
the Sound Quality isn't Audiophile Grade, and it's way over priced.

Napalmhardcore
10-11-2015, 18:31
You're never quite sure when it comes to written sarcasm. I suspected it was but didn't want to jump to conclusions :)

Napalmhardcore
21-11-2015, 21:35
I watched a video of a race recently and heard the engineer over the radio. It suddenly occurred to me that I've not heard him once.

Initially all my time was spent getting the force feedback how I liked it. After that it was hopping into different cars and doing laps of Nordschleife. It was only recently I've actually done a couple of races. I nearly crashed trying to read the engineer's message.

I'm using headphones via a Mixamp Pro. I searched and found a couple of threads about the engineer only speaking through the PS4 controller and people were suggesting to switch all audio to go through headphones. That solution is no good for the Mixamp Pro though as the game sound would bypass the surround sound. I need the engineer to be coming through the optical audio output. Is there a way to do this? If not, are there any plans to fix this?

Haiden
22-11-2015, 16:11
I've heard it, a few times, but only when leaving the pits at the start of the session. Reminded me of the sound issue on the Xb1, but not nearly as bad as that. It's wasn't that loud, only seemed to be affecting the car engine, and only lasted a couple of seconds.

M-Bimmer
24-11-2015, 15:31
Noticed this once in a public room. Engine sound was barely there, quitted then rejoined and all was good.

Napalmhardcore
24-11-2015, 19:58
I watched a video of a race recently and heard the engineer over the radio. It suddenly occurred to me that I've not heard him once.

Initially all my time was spent getting the force feedback how I liked it. After that it was hopping into different cars and doing laps of Nordschleife. It was only recently I've actually done a couple of races. I nearly crashed trying to read the engineer's message.

I'm using headphones via a Mixamp Pro. I searched and found a couple of threads about the engineer only speaking through the PS4 controller and people were suggesting to switch all audio to go through headphones. That solution is no good for the Mixamp Pro though as the game sound would bypass the surround sound. I need the engineer to be coming through the optical audio output. Is there a way to do this? If not, are there any plans to fix this?

Anyone?

Goresh
27-11-2015, 21:57

I notice the exact same thing, its like the ambient sounds are looping extremely fast.

Goresh
28-11-2015, 14:56
Any indication this is being looked at? Its really bad and needs to be fixed.

Napalmhardcore
29-11-2015, 08:47
I've discovered something a little odd. I noticed that when driving the Ford Mustang GT it sounded very unpleasant when it was at higher revs when played through my Mixamp Pro, like it was distorting.

I watched a video on Youtube of someone driving the Mustang and noticed that it didn't exhibit this unpleasant sound. I went back into the game and disabled the surround sound processing on the Mixamp. This is supposed to give you stereo without any digital signal processing. While this reduced the unpleasantness, it still sounded like there was some distortion. I plugged my headphones into the controller and it sounded fine. I then went into the audio output settings and switched the audio from Dolby to linear PCM and listened again through the Mixamp. This sounded pretty much identical to the audio from the controller. I then switched the output back to Dolby to double check and again it sounded distorted.

I did take into account that Dolby generally comes out louder than linear PCM does and adjusted the volume accordingly so as to ensure that I wasn't perceiving the sound differently due to a difference in volume. I am baffled as to why this is. I didn't think that a digital signal distorted in this manner. The only thing I can think of is that the signal is so hot when set to Dolby that it is causing the DAC to distort the analogue output signal (if that is possible).

Stephen Baysted
30-11-2015, 10:27
I notice the exact same thing, its like the ambient sounds are looping extremely fast.

Do you mean a very very short digital click?

Goresh
30-11-2015, 11:02
Do you mean a very very short digital click?

No, its like when you talk into a spinning fan, the helicopter effect. The video linked shows the issue perfectly. Once he turns the car off you can hear it, though its harder once the AI drive by. As I said its like one or more sound files are looping, I said ambient because the engine sounds don't seem to be affected.

Stephen Baysted
30-11-2015, 12:33
No, its like when you talk into a spinning fan, the helicopter effect. The video linked shows the issue perfectly. Once he turns the car off you can hear it, though its harder once the AI drive by. As I said its like one or more sound files are looping, I said ambient because the engine sounds don't seem to be affected.

Can't hear any spinning fan sound in your video?

Fong74
30-11-2015, 12:49
Ill put this here, too....

Investigated and reproduced the following:

Issue:
stuttering motor sounds online for all other cars than the players while driving together and also while using the monitor

Reason:
While watching an other players car there is a mismatch between the amount of fuel displayed in the monitor and the actual amount of fuel the car is carrying from its drivers view (for the Lotus 49c on Hockenheim classic the delta was ca 45l in our test).

Once the amount of fuel displayed for the viewer runs out, the stuttering sets in for the viewer. It can not be removed except by re-starting the lobby.

As stated above, this is reproduceable. Please fix this fuel delta issue SMS, as all online races suffer from this. Thanks!

Stephen Baysted
30-11-2015, 13:21

Issue:
stuttering motor sounds online for all other cars than the players while driving together and also while using the monitor

Reason:
While watching an other players car there is a mismatch between the amount of fuel displayed in the monitor and the actual amount of fuel the car is carrying from its drivers view (for the Lotus 49c on Hockenheim classic the delta was ca 45l in our test).

Once the amount of fuel displayed for the viewer runs out, the stuttering sets in for the viewer. It can not be removed except by re-starting the lobby.

As stated above, this is reproduceable. Please fix this fuel delta issue SMS, as all online races suffer from this. Thanks!

We'll investigate. How many players were online at the time?

Napalmhardcore
30-11-2015, 13:27
@Stephen Baysted: Is it possible that the games audio output is too high and is causing problems for some receivers? I was wondering if this might account for some of the issues people have had on this thread with audio disturbances. I was wondering if some peoples receivers are clipping. I was also hoping you might have some idea of what the problem is regarding my Mixamp Pro that I described on the page before this one. Project CARS volume seems quite high in comparison to other games on the PS4. I've also not had problems with my audio on other games, so I was wondering if the high volume and issues some people have experienced could be related somehow.

falm
30-11-2015, 13:39

Is it possible to route the Engineer through the optical audio output. Is there a way to do this? If not, are there any plans to fix this?

Same issue here. I'm using this Headset https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/accessories/wireless-stereo-headset-20/ and whatever I'll change in Setup, no Engineer is talking to me.

It's mostly working when using this one http://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-rf985rk connected trough my TV and DS4 turned off. Only drawback: sound is "cracking". If it helps I'll do a recording what's coming from my Headset next weekend.

Any advice on what to test / how I can help is welcome.

Goresh
30-11-2015, 13:54
Can't hear any spinning fan sound in your video?

I don't think your understanding me correctly. The spinning fan comparison was just that, an attempt to describe the sound we are hearing. If you watch the video that was posted by xMinzman, at the point he kills the engine you will hear a warbled sound in the background. The video isn't the best because of the AI but this oddity exists when running solo too. As I said, it sounds like an ambient sound looping with lots of reverb. I'm not really sure how else to explain it but it exists through my Sharp TV speakers, my Bose surround and my Turtle Beach headset.

Napalmhardcore
30-11-2015, 14:06
Same issue here. I'm using this Headset https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/accessories/wireless-stereo-headset-20/ and whatever I'll change in Setup, no Engineer is talking to me.

It's mostly working when using this one http://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-rf985rk connected trough my TV and DS4 turned off. Only drawback: sound is "cracking". If it helps I'll do a recording what's coming from my Headset next weekend.

Any advice on what to test / how I can help is welcome.

I heard him for the first time yesterday. I used my T300, had output to speakers set in the audio device menu and was also using Linear PCM in the Sound and Screen audio output menu.

I was not able to hear the engineer when I tried these settings while using a controller (which is how I'd tested previously as I was sat on my bed, away from my desk). As far as I can tell, when using a controller the only way to hear the engineer is to have the headset/headphones connected to the controller and have the headset/headphone option set to all audio. I personally see the controller speaker as a bit of a novelty, so not simply being able to set where I want the audio to go is pretty annoying and I don't want to have to plug into the controller. That's part of the reason I bought a Mixamp in the first place (the other reason being for virtual surround, which at the moment isn't the best option for this game due to the issues I've described in a previous post).

Fong74
30-11-2015, 15:15
We'll investigate. How many players were online at the time?

We tested with two players in an private lobby initially. The effect remained the same with 5 players we had in the follow-up session. So it seems to be a general issue. It also seems that different cars have a different delta in amounts of Monitor- and really loaded fuel. So you end up having a Z4 stutter earlier than an R8 e.g.

If we should test any combinations or other stuff, just tell us. There are racers standing ready to support you guys.

madmax2069
30-11-2015, 16:31

Issue:

Reason:

Are you talking about this http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24817-multiplayer-other-players-engine-sounds-break-up-skip

Goresh
30-11-2015, 18:21
Are you talking about this http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24817-multiplayer-other-players-engine-sounds-break-up-skip

While those videos show the engine sounds all wonky its the same effect I was talking about, except this was happening to other sounds.

Fong74
01-12-2015, 04:17

Yes, exactly, stutter = sound clipping in multiplayer lobbies. Its not because of any connection issues, its because of a delta in the amount of fuel dislayed/actually loaded into the other car which you are watching. It seems like the game wants to stop playing the engine sound then realizes it cant because the other cars engine is still revving and then it oscilates between those two states until you restart the lobby.

Stephen Baysted
01-12-2015, 11:06
I don't think your understanding me correctly. The spinning fan comparison was just that, an attempt to describe the sound we are hearing. If you watch the video that was posted by xMinzman, at the point he kills the engine you will hear a warbled sound in the background. The video isn't the best because of the AI but this oddity exists when running solo too. As I said, it sounds like an ambient sound looping with lots of reverb. I'm not really sure how else to explain it but it exists through my Sharp TV speakers, my Bose surround and my Turtle Beach headset.

Can you do a video capture of your issue one car on track only please?

madmax2069
01-12-2015, 13:20

The only thing I hear in that video is the helicopter above your position.

Goresh
01-12-2015, 13:21
Can you do a video capture of your issue one car on track only please?

I can but how many examples are needed? This thread has several examples that clearly show the issue but if one more is needed I guess I can provide one.

Goresh
01-12-2015, 13:22
The only thing I hear in that video is the helicopter above your position.

The sound follows the car, this is not the helicopter.

madmax2069
01-12-2015, 13:31
The sound follows the car, this is not the helicopter.

You can hear the helicopter throughout the entire track. Just not as loud as it is in the beginning (when he stops out of the pit).

Goresh
01-12-2015, 13:53
You can hear the helicopter throughout the entire track. Just not as loud as it is in the beginning (when he stops out of the pit).

I stand corrected, it is in fact the helicopter. I just did a test at Brands with engine sounds turned to zero and right above the pits is the chopper. Could hear the warble sound I was talking about clear as day! My apologies Max, you were indeed correct. I'm not sure what to suggest now as I'm sure the rotor sound is wanted but maybe it could be toned down?

vahagn_hayk
01-12-2015, 14:31
sound problems have been around on and off since 2.0 or 3.0...randomly cut off and or volume up and downs and etc...

Napalmhardcore
01-12-2015, 17:43
As this thread is dedicated to sound issues, the fact that I feel like nobody is listening to me (figuratively speaking) is somewhat ironic.

Tomcul
01-12-2015, 18:12
@napalm do you have all sound set to output through speakers on the ps menu?

Napalmhardcore
01-12-2015, 18:28
@napalm do you have all sound set to output through speakers on the ps menu?

If you are responding to my earlier post about the race engineer, I figured it out in the end, though something that held me back was that when I went into the game specifically to test the sound, I did it on a controller (because I was sat away from my desk).

It seems that if you have a PS4 controller connected it will either output via the DS4 speaker or through headphones connected to the controller if the output for headphones is set to all audio. I didn't seem to be able to hear him when I was connected to my Mixamp and had it set to output through TV/Speakers when using the controller.

When using a wheel however, when the output is set to TV/Speakers I can hear the engineer through my headphones connected to my Mixamp.

The issue I am currently dealing with is post #117. I also followed up with post #123 but have had no acknowledgement.

Tomcul
01-12-2015, 18:35
Yup sorry my bad didn't properly read all the posts..
Can't offer any help with the rest personally have not had any sound issues.

Napalmhardcore
01-12-2015, 18:36
Yup sorry my bad didn't properly read all the posts..
Can't offer any help with the rest personally have not had any sound issues.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look anyway :)

JohnSchoonsBeard
02-12-2015, 12:48
If you are responding to my earlier post about the race engineer, I figured it out in the end, though something that held me back was that when I went into the game specifically to test the sound, I did it on a controller (because I was sat away from my desk).

It seems that if you have a PS4 controller connected it will either output via the DS4 speaker or through headphones connected to the controller if the output for headphones is set to all audio. I didn't seem to be able to hear him when I was connected to my Mixamp and had it set to output through TV/Speakers when using the controller.

When using a wheel however, when the output is set to TV/Speakers I can hear the engineer through my headphones connected to my Mixamp.

The issue I am currently dealing with is post #117. I also followed up with post #123 but have had no acknowledgement.

The trouble for me and others is if outputting audio through the PS4 optical out (I have a Turtle Beach DSS surround processor to px22 headphones when setting "all audio" rather than chat only it is not possible to use the independent volume controllers on our headsets for chat or game sounds. Output for me is Dolby 5.1 via the optical. An option to simply include the audio from the engineer in the same audio stream/channels as the other game audio would be a godsend. Presumably I would then be able to hear the female voice that introduces all the racing disciplines in career mode too.

A further question I would like to ask Stephen is are we supposed to hear stereo positioning of cars as they pass by our car to either the left or right? In my tests I can't detect it. Is that something that might be improved?

Napalmhardcore
02-12-2015, 16:47
The trouble for me and others is if outputting audio through the PS4 optical out (I have a Turtle Beach DSS surround processor to px22 headphones when setting "all audio" rather than chat only it is not possible to use the independent volume controllers on our headsets for chat or game sounds. Output for me is Dolby 5.1 via the optical. An option to simply include the audio from the engineer in the same audio stream/channels as the other game audio would be a godsend. Presumably I would then be able to hear the female voice that introduces all the racing disciplines in career mode too.

A further question I would like to ask Stephen is are we supposed to hear stereo positioning of cars as they pass by our car to either the left or right? In my tests I can't detect it. Is that something that might be improved?

Can you do me a favour? I used to have a DSS2, but I cannot remember if it accepts linear PCM or only Dolby. If it does accept both, can you test to see if you are experiencing the same problem I described in post #117. When in the cockpit of particular cars when using Dolby (both with surround or just stereo) when getting into higher revs the sound becomes wooly and I lose the finer detail of the engine. When I use linear PCM however the sound retains its detail and feels less bloated (best way I can think to describe it). If you have the Mustang GT, it is the car that makes this the most obvious and therefore the best to test with.

JohnSchoonsBeard
03-12-2015, 18:35
Can you do me a favour? I used to have a DSS2, but I cannot remember if it accepts linear PCM or only Dolby. If it does accept both, can you test to see if you are experiencing the same problem I described in post #117. When in the cockpit of particular cars when using Dolby (both with surround or just stereo) when getting into higher revs the sound becomes wooly and I lose the finer detail of the engine. When I use linear PCM however the sound retains its detail and feels less bloated (best way I can think to describe it). If you have the Mustang GT, it is the car that makes this the most obvious and therefore the best to test with.

You will only get uncompressed stereo through optical on PCM. Dolby will give lossless 5.1 surround feed to the DSS2. I have the DSS version one and am not hearing a woolliness to the higher revs. That's not the more muffled sound of helmet cam you're hearing is it? Or maybe more sub woofer destined bass is in the Dolby 5.1 mix than the 2 channel PCM stereo stream?

I would only really bother using PCM if I was listening to a stereo source or using an amp and HDMI cable that was capable of playing uncompressed LPCM 7.1 surround through HDMI which, as I mentioned, the optical port is incapable of.

Napalmhardcore
04-12-2015, 00:28
You will only get uncompressed stereo through optical on PCM. Dolby will give lossless 5.1 surround feed to the DSS2. I have the DSS version one and am not hearing a woolliness to the higher revs. That's not the more muffled sound of helmet cam you're hearing is it? Or maybe more sub woofer destined bass is in the Dolby 5.1 mix than the 2 channel PCM stereo stream?

I would only really bother using PCM if I was listening to a stereo source or using an amp and HDMI cable that was capable of playing uncompressed LPCM 7.1 surround through HDMI which, as I mentioned, the optical port is incapable of.

The reason I was asking was that I was trying to ascertain whether there is something up with the Dolby output. As I mentioned in my original post on the topic, when I disable the virtual surround on the Mixamp it is supposed to give a straight stereo signal without any DSP. As far as I'm aware the Mixamp, when using virtual surround uses some reverb to give more of a sense of space and distance as does the original DSS which uses Dolby Headphone digital signal processing. However with the virtual surround switched off, it should give an unaltered stereo signal, just encoded in Dolby rather than linear PCM. The problem is that even when just listening to the stereo signal in Dolby, there is a definite difference in the sound compared to the linear PCM stereo signal. It sounds slightly fatter with less clear definition. It is like the loudest frequency when approaching higher revs is drowning out some of the finer detail.

I am not using the helmet camera. Having just looked at the Manual for the mixamp (in the process of writing this) it mentions that it switches Dolby Surround Sound off (when the Dolby button is pressed), but doesn't actually mention how the signal is then dealt with. It is possible that it is still receiving the sub woofer destined bass. Perhaps it is using 2.1 or something similar and not a straight stereo signal. Regardless, the only way I am getting crisp audio is using Linear PCM through it. I may have to experiment with my AV receiver and see what the results are (but everyone is asleep at the moment).

JohnSchoonsBeard
04-12-2015, 07:29
The reason I was asking was that I was trying to ascertain whether there is something up with the Dolby output. As I mentioned in my original post on the topic, when I disable the virtual surround on the Mixamp it is supposed to give a straight stereo signal without any DSP. As far as I'm aware the Mixamp, when using virtual surround uses some reverb to give more of a sense of space and distance as does the original DSS which uses Dolby Headphone digital signal processing. However with the virtual surround switched off, it should give an unaltered stereo signal, just encoded in Dolby rather than linear PCM. The problem is that even when just listening to the stereo signal in Dolby, there is a definite difference in the sound compared to the linear PCM stereo signal. It sounds slightly fatter with less clear definition. It is like the loudest frequency when approaching higher revs is drowning out some of the finer detail.

I am not using the helmet camera. Having just looked at the Manual for the mixamp (in the process of writing this) it mentions that it switches Dolby Surround Sound off (when the Dolby button is pressed), but doesn't actually mention how the signal is then dealt with. It is possible that it is still receiving the sub woofer destined bass. Perhaps it is using 2.1 or something similar and not a straight stereo signal. Regardless, the only way I am getting crisp audio is using Linear PCM through it. I may have to experiment with my AV receiver and see what the results are (but everyone is asleep at the moment).

I'll give that a go. Sorry I didn't read the original post.

JohnSchoonsBeard
04-12-2015, 10:01

Here's some further testing I've just done relating to both your issue and mine.

My unit (DSS Original)
DSS the volume and bass boost controls are at max.
Headset controls :Turtle Beach Px22): Treble and Bass both at mid position.
Hold Ps button on controller or wheel, select Adjust Sound and Devices. Output to headphones: Chat Audio. Selecting "all audio" changes the mix to stereo, rendering my separate headset game volume, bass andctreble controls inoperable and the PLIIX light comes on on the DSS. This appears to turn the virtual surround sound (the whole point of the DSS) off. So for the best sound this needs to say "Chat Audio" and for now I have to do do without the Race Engineer.

OK now that's sorted onto tests.

Test 1
PS4 Settings/Sound and Screen/Audio Output Settings
Primary Output port: Digital Out
Audio Format: Linear PCM
With DSS Dolby bypass button unlit the PLIIX light is on. In this setup the sounds are much better with Dolby bypass button on (stereo PCM)

Test 2 (my favoured setup)
Audio Format: Bitstream (Dolby)
With DSS Dolby bypass button unlit the DD light is on (not PLIIX light). Sounds are in full Dolby Surround. There is no wooliness and it sounds the best with immersion virtual surround separation working. However the game doesn't yet appear to have positional audio for environmental sounds or other cars. I believe this is the case on PC as well as the consoles.

So I use the Dolby bypass button in the OFF position for full virtual Dolby surround. This turns off the stereo PCM.

I didn't get any wooliness with any of the settings. The only thing anything like distortion that I heard was the rev limiter. I don't know what else might be causing your distortion. Have you tried drastically lowering the sound output from the game to see if you still get the issue? My in game volume is around 50%

Napalmhardcore
04-12-2015, 17:28
Here's some further testing I've just done relating to both your issue and mine.

My unit (DSS Original)
DSS the volume and bass boost controls are at max.
Headset controls :Turtle Beach Px22): Treble and Bass both at mid position.
Hold Ps button on controller or wheel, select Adjust Sound and Devices. Output to headphones: Chat Audio. Selecting "all audio" changes the mix to stereo, rendering my separate headset game volume, bass andctreble controls inoperable and the PLIIX light comes on on the DSS. This appears to turn the virtual surround sound (the whole point of the DSS) off. So for the best sound this needs to say "Chat Audio" and for now I have to do do without the Race Engineer.

OK now that's sorted onto tests.

Test 1
Audio Format: Linear PCM
With DSS Dolby bypass button unlit the PLIIX light is on. In this setup the sounds are much better with Dolby bypass button on (stereo PCM)

Test 2 (my favoured setup)
Audio Format: Bitstream (Dolby)
With DSS Dolby bypass button unlit the DD light is on (not PLIIX light). Sounds are in full Dolby Surround. There is no wooliness and it sounds the best with immersion virtual surround separation working. However the game doesn't yet appear to have positional audio for environmental sounds or other cars. I believe this is the case on PC as well as the consoles.

So I use the Dolby bypass button in the OFF position for full virtual Dolby surround. This turns off the stereo PCM.

I didn't get any wooliness with any of the settings. The only thing anything like distortion that I heard was the rev limiter. I don't know what else might be causing your distortion. Have you tried drastically lowering the sound output from the game to see if you still get the issue? My in game volume is around 50%

Thanks for sharing your findings. I haven't tried lowering the in game volume for this particular reason (though I did try it for seeing if it reduced some audio disturbances I experienced but I wasn't listening for this issue as it hadn't become apparent to me yet). I will test this as well as testing with my AV receiver and report back. The AV receiver will give me a good indication if the problem is with my Mixamp as I only have stereo speakers (the receiver will do 5.1 but I don't have space for placing surround speakers or even a sub woofer... which makes me sad), so it will be pretty much an apples to apples comparison.

Stephen Baysted
05-12-2015, 17:15
I stand corrected, it is in fact the helicopter. I just did a test at Brands with engine sounds turned to zero and right above the pits is the chopper. Could hear the warble sound I was talking about clear as day! My apologies Max, you were indeed correct. I'm not sure what to suggest now as I'm sure the rotor sound is wanted but maybe it could be toned down?

Glad you found the issue in the end.

Goresh
05-12-2015, 20:55
Thanks Stephen, while I found it, it still sounds horrible especially at speed, mixed with the wind sound. Is it possible to see the helicopter sound removed from the cockpit pov? I have no idea if that's possible or not.