PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel advice

Ibanezman
10-05-2015, 12:50
Could someone recommend a good budget wheel and pedals setup for me. Preferably one that is also portable and could be used on different chairs etc

Regardless of the controller fix that's incoming, I don't think I can get remotely near any of the top times without the smoothness of a wheel

Cheers

Squirrel
10-05-2015, 13:20
Well for what its worth my opinion is that value for money wise the thrust master Ferrari 458 spider wheel is a great option. Knocking 5-10% off my controller times without any fiddling with settings.

Karlman 72
10-05-2015, 13:24
Yep agree with Squirrel,I use this wheel and now I've gotten used to left footed braking I think it's cracking:cool:

techAU
10-05-2015, 13:24
Could someone recommend a good budget wheel and pedals setup for me. Preferably one that is also portable and could be used on different chairs etc

Regardless of the controller fix that's incoming, I don't think I can get remotely near any of the top times without the smoothness of a wheel

Cheers

Personally I went with the Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider wheel and pedals. While they don't have force feedback, they do achieve the precision necessary to achieve better lap times. Very happy with this affordable option.

Loochst3r
10-05-2015, 15:28
Just tried the 458 Spider myself, and it really does seem a totally different game after using the controller.
Obviously it will still take time to master the wheel, but on my first lap in a car and track combo that i used in time trial to try and get the pad right, i smashed over 2 seconds off it on the very first lap using the 458 Spider.

A very good budget priced wheel to introduce you to racing with a wheel.

Ibanezman
11-05-2015, 03:50
Thanks for the info guys

Does anyone use a stand\folding stand for these or just clamped to a table\desk ?

Squirrel
11-05-2015, 05:08
Just clamped to a tall coffee table home made job really, just need to secure the pedals.

Fidius
11-05-2015, 05:42
Logitech Driving Force GT i installed the game and it picked my wheel up with no flapping about though i did tweak it to my own preference you can get them off fleabay for about 70 second hand

talby71
11-05-2015, 08:04
Logitech Driving Force GT i installed the game and it picked my wheel up with no flapping about though i did tweak it to my own preference you can get them off fleabay for about 70 second hand

Can't be used on the Xbox One though

techAU
11-05-2015, 08:15
Mines clamped to my office desk, which happens to be a stand and sit desk from Ergotron, so that helps get the height just right. I am looking for foldable solution that would be great to take out to the lounge room for a weekend and fold away when not in use.

talby71
11-05-2015, 08:19
how about something like these http://www.pagnianimports.com.au/racing-simulator-cockpit/wheelstand/next-level-racing-wheel-stand-for-g27-g25-t500-rs-fanatec-wheel.html

or this https://www.gamesmen.com.au/rennsport-wheel-stand-by-fanatec

Nemesis X2
11-05-2015, 08:37
Wheelstandpro do great stands that fold for convenience. If / when I get a wheel that's compatible with the XB1 I will be getting one.

Joris GvK
11-05-2015, 08:43
Mines clamped to my office desk, which happens to be a stand and sit desk from Ergotron, so that helps get the height just right. I am looking for foldable solution that would be great to take out to the lounge room for a weekend and fold away when not in use.
I have a Wheel Stand Pro it's portable but not extremely stable.
And a bit to low for my taste as I don't have a racing chair.

MRM3RL1N
11-05-2015, 09:01
like everyone is saying the ferrari wheel is a good option but you NEED to secure the pedals as they are very stiff and you end up toppling over the pedals, other than that it really makes a difference and even more so when used with helmet cam and with the in game steering wheel removed, just adds much more immersion!

itakethepics
11-05-2015, 09:01
I have the TX 458 Italia wheel, while its in the region of 220 ($300?) you do get the force feedback which in essence makes you feel more like you're in the car! :) If you don't have the cash for it though the Thrustmaster 458 Spider wheel is just as sweet, just no FFB. Have a search for some mods too for the brake pedal to give it that more realistic feel.

stux
11-05-2015, 10:39
how about something like these http://www.pagnianimports.com.au/racing-simulator-cockpit/wheelstand/next-level-racing-wheel-stand-for-g27-g25-t500-rs-fanatec-wheel.html

or this https://www.gamesmen.com.au/rennsport-wheel-stand-by-fanatec

I've got the next level racing wheel stand. Fantastically stable and sturdy, but a pain to adjust.