PDA

View Full Version : AI Don't Pit for Rain Tires and Slicks When The Weather Changes from Wet to Dry

slider916
10-05-2015, 15:46
The AI don't pit for rain or slicks when the weather changes.
They stay out and run like nothing's changed.

theredshore
10-05-2015, 15:49
this honestly made me think that the game did not have wet tires so i didnt even know it was possible to pet for wet tires because i didnt think they existed because of the AI

DayGlow
10-05-2015, 16:25
Should be easy to see in an open wheeler if you rain tires or not.

theredshore
10-05-2015, 16:28
i have not raced open wheelers yet

wraithsrike
10-05-2015, 16:29
Yes this has 100% got to be sorted, I've just sat and watched my boy lead a 3 hour Capri GT5 race when 15 mins to the end it started to rain he raced on for as long as he could but his car not the AI's became uncontrollable so he had to pit, the AI's just kept going, needless to say he came last.

I had a very upset little lad on my hands after this, this just isn't fair.

LeveQ
10-05-2015, 17:22
Had the same happen to me in the M1 Invitational at Zolder. (btw, that car sometimes resets with some weird setup when you open the setup screen).

Basically, some AI's pit before it even drizzles, others pit at the right time, then others don't pit at all. I had to stay out on slicks and spent 3 laps in the pouring rain sliding around, managed to hold them off to win somehow, but yeah, kind of annoying.

GamingCanuck
10-05-2015, 18:03
I just had this happen to me during a GT race at Catalunya, the AI didn't even seem to slow down when the rain started. Hopefully this is fixed ASAP because it's a major issue.

lawyer237
10-05-2015, 18:11
Have the developers made any comment about this?

Durand1981
10-05-2015, 18:18
Its funny because i came on here purposely to protest due too 2 massive losses because i couldnt control the car, if the computer is the only one that knows when its going to rain it should also be the one to predict a tyre change at the approapriate time other wise what the hell is the point in an auto weather tyre change option ?

This was on SPA not more than 3 minutes ago 19:14pm 10/05/2015 and if this is what i can expect from the game then it will soon be over for me, if im going to pay to play it better damn well work as intended.
That really did make my blood boil as i worked my balls off to get 1st place, pitted at the propper time only to have my back doors smashed in by a rain i cant predict coming.
Not to mention it said weather over cast, no mention of rain light or other wise..

Ironfistedmonk
10-05-2015, 18:23
Had the same happen to me in the M1 Invitational at Zolder. (btw, that car sometimes resets with some weird setup when you open the setup screen).

Basically, some AI's pit before it even drizzles, others pit at the right time, then others don't pit at all. I had to stay out on slicks and spent 3 laps in the pouring rain sliding around, managed to hold them off to win somehow, but yeah, kind of annoying.

Just happened to my brother, lap 7 at Zolder, about 5 seconds out in front and bang, rain comes down he starts to lose control and the AI carries on like it's as dry as a desert and he slides home in 5th

grester
10-05-2015, 18:28
The AI don't pit for rain or slicks when the weather changes.
They stay out and run like nothing's changed.

I have 2 things to say about this and others who've posted before.

It could be true that they don't slow down when rain start to fall, even though I believe I've noticed they do drive a bit more careful before cornering.
However I'm 100% sure they DO change their tyres, sometimes not in the same lap but they do. I've testimony this very clearly when I was doing GT5 Ginnetas at Silverstone, when started to rain (I'm almost sure it was in the sprint race where they aren't obliged to go the pits) I've started to see lots of cars in pits. So YES they do pit to change tyres, at least for wets.

Durand1981
10-05-2015, 18:33

It could be true that they don't slow down when rain start to fall, even though I believe I've noticed they do drive a bit more careful before cornering.
However I'm 100% sure they DO change their tyres, sometimes not in the same lap but they do. I've testimony this very clearly when I was doing GT5 Ginnetas at Silverstone, when started to rain (am I'm almost sure it was in the sprint race where they aren't obliged to go the pits) I've started to see lots of cars in pits. So YES they do pit to change tyres, at least for wets.

I disagree in campaign mode GT3 i see the pattern they use and not a one of them pits for wets, unless they do it when its already raining before they pit.
Fact still remains if i have auto weather tyre option enabled and if the comp is the ONLY one to know when rains coming it should predict i need wets, i mean lets be honest do i look like the cyber version of the damn rain man ?

Martin03
10-05-2015, 18:33

However I'm 100% sure they DO change their tyres, sometimes not in the same lap but they do. I've testimony this very clearly when I was doing GT5 Ginnetas at Silverstone, when started to rain (am I'm almost sure it was in the sprint race where they aren't obliged to go the pits) I've started to see lots of cars in pits. So YES they do pit to change tyres, at least for wets.

No they don't. I mean maybe the did in youre race, but I have tested this 3times in differant track and differant classes. They never have pited in race, but they do in qulify. And in race they drive exactly the same pace when its rain then in the dry earlier in the race. So in qualify they are affected by the weather changes and pit and drive slower in rain, but not in the race

Ecfc
10-05-2015, 19:09
Yes short races can understand not pitting but when it starts raining in wet weather I feel angered for having to pit but with no assista heavy rain leaves no option but the AI continues like nothing....

Robes
10-05-2015, 19:27
For me this is the biggest problem with the game, the AI need to be effected more by the weather. It's useless having such a brilliant weather engine if the AI aren't affected, it's very frustrating. Would be nice to know that this will be fixed for sure. The weather effects are jaw sroppingly fantastic, let's get it all working for single player.

grester
10-05-2015, 22:07
I've decided to record a bit of my game to show that the AI does enter pits to change tires. Activate annotations for commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I638wISfFM

After recording the video I restarted the session and realized that some AI would go to the pits as far as 2 laps before the rain even started to fall. This could explain why some people don't see AI going to the pits when it starts to rain.

Martin03
10-05-2015, 22:24
Well, do to see its working for you in that race. But it still dont help us thats its not working for...

Mahjik
10-05-2015, 22:26
Gents, sometimes the AI is too good at predicting weather and will start out on wet tires. If you notice you are really, really faster than the AI at the start of the race (since you likely will be on slicks) and the race changes to rain, the AI likely started on wets and will not pit when it rains.

PowderGuy
10-05-2015, 22:27
Raining not the main factor to change tires, how much water on surface affect traction was the factor

Martin03
10-05-2015, 22:29
Gents, sometimes the AI is too good at predicting weather and will start out on wet tires. If you notice you are really, really faster than the AI at the start of the race (since you likely will be on slicks) and the race changes to rain, the AI likely started on wets and will not pit when it rains.

Maybe so, but then they need to fix AI not affected by tire temp since there wet tires should be overheating after many laps on dry. And that brings in what I was asking for in a thread. Proper weather forecast not like its now where it stand what is the weather RIGHT NOW, I can see that my self... But like: predicted weather for the entire sesssion, X% chance of rain etc.

And have to say it does maybe sound like I complain about the game, but I does now. I really love it, but these things are so frustrating since this game could have ben so awesome without those problems...But Im sure it will be fixed att some point!

grester
10-05-2015, 23:15
Okay fella's I give you the benefit of the doubt, apparently that race was all f'ed up (you can see that by my tires overheating even though its raining).
I just rebooted computer and restarted the race and it seems the game (something I didn't knew) got new weather predictions for the race. This time instead of starting to rain slowly it went from dry to extremely wet in a single lap, no AI went to the pits, perhaps as someone said before, they started with Wet tires.
So yeah, I admit defeat, but AI isn't the only problem, the weather system is extremely unstable and is perhaps also culprit of influencing AI's behavior. But again, if they start with wet, presuming you have tires on auto, why don't you start as well?

Andy Baker
11-05-2015, 06:25
This M1 bug was reported in alpha a couple of years ago, don't worry it will get fixed eventually, probably when V2 is released.

Durand1981
12-05-2015, 15:01
I've decided to record a bit of my game to show that the AI does enter pits to change tires. Activate annotations for commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I638wISfFM

After recording the video I restarted the session and realized that some AI would go to the pits as far as 2 laps before the rain even started to fall. This could explain why some people don't see AI going to the pits when it starts to rain.

I disagree in campaign mode GT3 i see the pattern they use and not a one of them pits for wets, unless they do it when its already raining before they pit.
Fact still remains if i have auto weather tyre option enabled and if the comp is the ONLY one to know when rains coming it should predict i need wets, i mean lets be honest do i look like the cyber version of the damn rain man ?

I quoted yours and an old post of mine to point out that twice now i have said the same thing, i NEVER stated they didnt pit at all...
I said they DONT pit for wets unless its there box time and its already raining, which would explain why they may have wets on and do ok, but that dont help if i pit before the rain and its 5 laps
how am i supposed to make my position back on 1 lap if it takes 5 minutes to change tyres and 2 minutes to get round im forced to hydro plane like a mo fo just to get home and epicaly fail on each corner.

St4r8ucK
12-05-2015, 15:37
Did someone tried to make the M1 race at Zolder during the career (100% length ie 8 laps) with WET tires? Is it possible to finish the race before the tires are done?

caslad81
12-05-2015, 15:38
The point is if you finish qualy on dry tyres and you don't have "auto tyre select" on, you are not given the opportunity to start on wet tyres. No series is like that, they would not let you start on dry tyres as it would be extremely dangerous if it was wet. Also no car series would ever start a dry race on wet tyres as again it would be dangerous due to the lack of grip and tyres over heating! Why are we not given the option to change settings before a race like every single other race series and game allows?

St4r8ucK
12-05-2015, 15:48
You can change the setups before the race. I've done it in fact but the red tyres after 4 corners made me quit thinking that the tyres would not last 8 laps...

caslad81
12-05-2015, 15:59
You can change the setups before the race. I've done it in fact but the red tyres after 4 corners made me quit thinking that the tyres would not last 8 laps...

How can you change the setups before the race, it takes you straight to the starting grid as soon as qualifying is over?

grester
12-05-2015, 18:31
Did someone tried to make the M1 race at Zolder during the career (100% length ie 8 laps) with WET tires? Is it possible to finish the race before the tires are done?

I did half the race and then simulated the rest as the AI takes over your car and doesn't enter the pits n'or is affected by weather.

How can you change the setups before the race, it takes you straight to the starting grid as soon as qualifying is over?

You're not the first person I see saying that which is strange because the normal behavior like any race is to show a debrief (sort of like pause menu) where you can setup car and fiddle with pit settings.

Durand1981
13-05-2015, 09:33
You can change pit stratagy before you enter the race, its near the bottom of the options, the only bad thing is you cannot predict rain if it says light cloud for example your thinking over cast no rain dry tyres will be fine.

Then it pours down and you have already pitted, you not only have to make time to catch up in a lap to gain your 1st back, you then have to struggle your nuts off to hold your place in a complete downpour on drys with no choice because you will NOT get out quick enough to have even close to podium finish with 1 lap left out of 5.

caslad81
13-05-2015, 09:41
You can change pit stratagy before you enter the race, its near the bottom of the options, the only bad thing is you cannot predict rain if it says light cloud for example your thinking over cast no rain dry tyres will be fine.

Then it pours down and you have already pitted, you not only have to make time to catch up in a lap to gain your 1st back, you then have to struggle your nuts off to hold your place in a complete downpour on drys with no choice because you will NOT get out quick enough to have even close to podium finish with 1 lap left out of 5.

I cannot change the pit strategy either as it goes straight to the race as I said before. This is a crazy oversight!

Durand1981
13-05-2015, 09:45
I cannot change the pit strategy either as it goes straight to the race as I said before. This is a crazy oversight!

That indeed is odd not had that issue yet on XBOX One, it go's to a mandatory menu where by it starts with the Enter function and lists down as such with the likes of change pit strategy etc.

It usually go's in order of free practice 1, free practice 2, Qualy 1, Qualy 2, 2 lap sprint race, 5 lap main race and SHOULD give the above mentioned before each where by you manually have to enter it.

marksy
13-05-2015, 10:43
I think the pit engineer should let you know theres rain coming and tell you when it starts spitting to pit pit pit

sVig
13-05-2015, 10:55
this honestly made me think that the game did not have wet tires so i didnt even know it was possible to pet for wet tires because i didnt think they existed because of the AI

Oh it def has rain tyres. They make a difference too. Not all cars have them though. Road cars don't for example. They just have all rounders that they'd come with in real life.

PeteUplink
13-05-2015, 13:01
I've done quite a few test runs in the GT3 cars and the Formula C cars in 10 lap races around Donnington. The races were set to start cloudy but then start to rain, with the rain coming usually around lap 5 or so. Some of the AI pitted on lap 5 or 6 when it rained, others did not (so I can only assume they took a gamble on wet tyres for 5 laps on a dry track). I lengthened the races to 14 laps, so the rain would come around lap 7, and again some pitted around lap 7 and others did not. Finally I did a Formula B race of 20 laps around Silverstone with the same conditions. The rain came around lap 10 and I pitted as soon as I saw rain on my visor. The AI pitted around lap 11. I started the race mid-pack and made it up to 4th before I pitted. After the stops were completed I was 3rd and very close to the 2nd and 1st place cars, so all the AI must've pitted that time. So they do pit, but it's not perfect.

caslad81
13-05-2015, 16:29
That indeed is odd not had that issue yet on XBOX One, it go's to a mandatory menu where by it starts with the Enter function and lists down as such with the likes of change pit strategy etc.

It usually go's in order of free practice 1, free practice 2, Qualy 1, Qualy 2, 2 lap sprint race, 5 lap main race and SHOULD give the above mentioned before each where by you manually have to enter it.

I have only played in solo races as Im waiting for the bugs to be sorted first, but in solo races you definitely do not get the option before the race.

batman21685
13-05-2015, 17:44
Pretty sure they are aware of this and a fix is being worked on

Scott1904
18-08-2017, 09:15
Is this problem solved in Project Cars 2?

It would be enough when the AI would drive to the pitstop and change tires as soon as possible for the current weather. I do not expect that they is intelligent as humans, but it cant be that they drive without problems on soft tires at rain and dont change tires anytime.