PDA

View Full Version : >> A message to SMS and WMD...

MaXKiLLz
10-05-2015, 18:27
Why was the game delayed so long?
The scope of the game is by far the grandest and most intricately-detailed that the team have ever worked on, and has been built for the future with a great deal of depth and forward-thinking technology. Combined with the teams own high standards and determination to release the title in its most complete and polished state, and the complex nature of some last-minute issues and bugs, moving the release of the title allows the final product to be one that both matches the original vision of the team and satisfies the expectations of the understanding yet eager audience.

How is it possible that in 3 days since release, people who purchased PCars, on any of the platforms, have found so many glaring issues that Slightly Mad Studios and WMD were unable to identify and fix during the four years of development and several months of delays? With statements, like the one quoted above, SMS and WMD cannot be surprised or offended if some people, such as Trousy or Stainman, are angry, ask for an apology, demand a refund or are otherwise unhappy because they feel like they've been fooled by what now seems as hype and false information. These folks, like myself, quietly accepted the multiple delays because of the promise, by SMS, that a "polished" game would be worth the wait.

SMS and WMD have no right to be offended or upset when end users vent their frustration on the forum. One of the main problems adding to this is the inability to return the product for a refund. Steam will not provide refunds, no matter what, and they will lock your account if you attempt a chargeback. So customers, who have spent their hard earned money on a defective product and can't do a thing about it, have every right to be angry. Yes, I said defective and that's exactly what it is. Whatever way you look at it, whether you're satisfied or unsatisfied with PCars, it's defective. There's a possibility SMS and WMD can address the many problems. But if they weren't able to in four and a half years of development, what hope can we have the problems would be solved in the next month or two.

I believe people who are not satisfied with their purchase of PCars deserve two things. One, an apology by SMS and WMD for releasing a game with so many problems and two, a means to a refund.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

MysterG
10-05-2015, 18:35
How is it possible that in 3 days since release, people who purchased PCars, on any of the platforms, have found so many glaring issues that Slightly Mad Studios and WMD were unable to identify and fix during the four years of development and several months of delays? <snip>.

There are many more people enjoying the game than suffering with the unfortunate problems that exist. Even some of the latter are willing to make the best of it and indeed help out.

You seriously believe that all the issues existed for 4 years or more? Far more realistic is that the worst of them did not come to light until after release.

Bloyski
10-05-2015, 18:39
Totally agree with you here. Yes most of these issues will get sorted out but that is what testers are for, we have paid full price for this and it is not worth it what so ever. I wish I hadn't of pre ordered the digital version as no I have no means to get a refund.

I have also seen a post one here where someone had a issue with the 'pink' colour on the menu as it's very difficult to see the text over it and all a WMD member had to say was that it's not pink it a certain type of red!! I'm sure lots of the devs are taking this very seriously but must think people are being fussy which is totally unacceptable.

Joethe147
10-05-2015, 18:58
Playing on PS4, there's some issues, I've had a qualifying session result cancelled when I got pole and had to start at the back of the grid for example.

But every game has issues. Does this have more than most? Maybe right now. But I've been loving the game, it's going to go down among the greatest racing games of all time. It's stunning in its present form and it will only continue to get better and better as time goes on.

People are asking for a refund? If people are having major problems and the game really is unplayable for them (and I mean something like huge frame drops, game constantly forgetting session results or the game often crashing/not loading) then I could understand some of the frustration.

But asking for a refund? That is laughable.

grester
10-05-2015, 19:03
Considering I haven't paid the whole 50€ steam was demanding and I haven't run into no severe bug that would stop me from playing the game I consider the game to be in a very good condition even though I agree with what he says. Good, but unpolished. I've found about 10 miscellaneous bugs that don't compromise the experience but again, it's quite a few. Personally the major issue I'm seeing is cutting corners aside from that the game's quite good. Unfortunately there seems to be too many people with major issues to be considered in a good release state as a whole. Hopefully as time passes these issues will be solved. Sure the game can be flawed but we still gotta be patient and give the devs time for them to be fixed.

Bloyski
10-05-2015, 19:22
Playing on PS4, there's some issues, I've had a qualifying session result cancelled when I got pole and had to start at the back of the grid for example.

But every game has issues. Does this have more than most? Maybe right now. But I've been loving the game, it's going to go down among the greatest racing games of all time. It's stunning in its present form and it will only continue to get better and better as time goes on.

People are asking for a refund? If people are having major problems and the game really is unplayable for them (and I mean something like huge frame drops, game constantly forgetting session results or the game often crashing/not loading) then I could understand some of the frustration.

But asking for a refund? That is laughable.

If you was experiencing the frame rate dropping I am getting, rendering the game basically un playable. Wanting a refund is not laughable as I have brought something that does work!

youngade
10-05-2015, 19:42
If you was experiencing the frame rate dropping I am getting, rendering the game basically un playable. Wanting a refund is not laughable as I have brought something that does work!

I presume as you mention Steam directly that you are playing on PC, the first thing I would ask is can you post your system specs in your sig. That way we may be able to offer some advice on solving your problems.

Bloyski
10-05-2015, 19:45
I am playing on XB1 and have already made a few posts regarding some of the issues I am having but the frame rate is the worst offender out of all the things that need fixing. I am playing on a 50" TV if you think that may be why I am experiencing it so badly but other games don't do it so it can't have anything to do with that.

youngade
10-05-2015, 19:57
Sorry Bloyski I mixed up your post with the OP who mentioned Steam, as for Xbox I'm not so sure I can offer any meaningful advice as I don't own one. I do know that the Head of Studio has been on this forum all day and has answered a few questions on that version so I'll have a quick look and see if I can find anything that might help.

Bloyski
10-05-2015, 20:05
Ok and thank you for trying to help, it is appreciated. But the frames mine is dropping is next to ge breaking and haven't seen anyone say that it's this bad but when I tried to go for the achievement to go under 9 mins on Cali highway, that whole track was basically dropping frames almost the whole way through. I have to keep coming off of the game as its is so frustrating and makes me annoyed that I paid Ģ50 for the pleasure.

caslad81
10-05-2015, 20:27
I agree that there a a whole load of bugs, sometimes it really spoils the game. Instead of venting your anger report them, these guys do try to help and Im sure they are trying to sort them out for future patches. Its very frustrating but just try to make the most out of it or wait until the patches start coming out.

Bloyski
10-05-2015, 20:39
If I waited for patches to release and fix the game then I would save money when eventually buying the game. It sucks that us people who pay full price for the game get something that's not been finished. Ģ50 well spent

JoaoAfonso
10-05-2015, 21:58
Iīm actually just enjoying the game!

You talk about all these problems, and sometimes i happen to get one or another, but i just breeze through them to the next race. weeeeee SUPER GAME!
All games have problems...

One thing this game has, that many donīt... is that they have a FULL TEAM STILL WORKING with the same enthusiam, as during the making of the game.
Just for us :)

You say that is their obligation... i find it rare, and i cherish it... :)

Keep it up :)

MaXKiLLz
11-05-2015, 02:38
One thing this game has, that many donīt... is that they have a FULL TEAM STILL WORKING with the same enthusiam, as during the making of the game.
Just for us :)

Unless you work at SMS, how would you know who is still working on this game?

TenthDan
11-05-2015, 02:51
Unless you work at SMS, how would you know who is still working on this game?

Because in the WMDPortal forum SMS post up build and progress notes and respond to feedback too.

People are allowed to be upset and frustrated and feel a refund is needed, what people aren't allowed to do is insult others and be disrespectful while engaging everyone here. You're all perfectly entitled to raise problems/concerns/bugs etc as long as it's done in a civil way.

And no, at the end of the 3.5 years not all bugs were fixed, not all desired features in, but the community and SMS did their best to work towards that. The big issues on XB1 were something none of us knew would happen, as it wasn't so on the PC where we did testing. That it also slipped through Microsoft's strict testing suggests it is specific to a limited selection of users, which is unfortunate for those affected.

NVI0U5
11-05-2015, 03:16
I have the game on XboxOne, I get framefreeze, steering lockout etc but you know what, those bugs only happen in big races with other AI cars, there's alot more to do on the game than just solo career racing or multiplayer, Im just doing the community events and getting involved in the tuning aspects of the game. The Community Events such as SMS-R I have only had the steering lockout twice in 4 days and zero frame freezing. Im waiting for the patch to come out so I can play the other modes with ease. The Team and customer service here is great, its not often you will get a reply to a complaint, but these guys are different, I would tbh just wait out for the patch, it will be an awesome game when finished.

JSNFARRELL
11-05-2015, 09:45
*Not saying anything by this... no facts here*

I'm kicking back looking at random forum posts now that I can finally get in on this...

My pre-order consisted of two (2) digital copies... which I considered returning the other month when it was announced CARS was delayed again but there are not many racing sims on the market so I was locked-in.
- it was said the delays were due to the devs wanting to release a polished sim/game (delayed until it was 100%) yet this appears to be around 75% complete...
which would have been fine with me if it was released on the first announced date.

Many features that were said to be within the engine/SP/MP/etc. are missing or appear to not function as promised which of course could be patched in...
I've already got 45 hours into CARS (which has many bugs - most of which are a sim-breaking experience) so why is this already a topic of discussion *which to make things appear worse - has not been denied*

As for the 1st post
Let's put things in this way: pCars is a triple AAA game with very high ambition developed with a small budget and with the help of a community of players.
Both the game and the platform of the WMD were experiments, so we can't pretend to have a perfect game on day one and maybe will stay not perfect also two years from now. But it can be improved under many aspects. The SMS started a new franchise with this game and want to compete with the big guys Forza and GT on console. To be able to stay on top and be competitive against these they have to give the players a very cool game, without flaws. This means that in the next days/months the game will be fixed and polished where it needs to be fixed and polished. Give them some time, it's in their own interest to make everybody happy.
As for the single points you described, some of them will stay as they are in pCars 1.
The community would have loved to have the ability to modify the options of the controller simply pausing the game, without interrupting the race. This wasn't possible apparently.
We testers asked tons of features and stuff to the SMS but time and budget made some of them impossible to have on day one or impossible to have at all. So, some things will come during the next months, while some others will come in pCars 2.
Seeing so much being mentioned about a "pCARS2" when pCARS"1" was just released has me looking for a safety car. So far I'm not seeing anyone denying plans exists... sim titles are suppose to expand!
- if I wanted a new game/sim every year I would have stuck to a simcade title like Forza... hell up until CARS I was playing GTR2 and RaceInjection still.
*take Lockon/FC/DCS/DCS2.0 or Race07 for example*
Overall I suppose it would be wise if anything about a pCARS2 was "squashed" because this is only going to hurt the devs...
Obnoxious/Rude "backers" whom troll forums to talk down on "non-backers" aside... pCARS2 being mentioned on top of the state of this title at "multi-delay" release has me wishing I didn't buy a single copy!

On a positive note... its kind of reminding me of GTR2/Race07 minus its issues and lacking features... so its getting heavy on the sim side of things which is nice considering most racing games are for arcade (non-sim) crowds.

Anyway I could say a lot more but its going on 5am here... which is around the time I stopped hosting hours of a LeMans endurance (prototype/real) session yesterday.

Glad its out... will see where it goes in time.
Until then I refuse to start the Career... MP stats need reset as it is (which will probably never happen)

*If someone would please TURN OFF the AI auto-pilot crap ASAP I would fall in love with CARS... the AI piloted pit, rolling starts, post-race laps, etc. are the source of many problems right now*
Nord - AI pit pilot crashes car entering pits (hasn't worked yet)
Spa - AI crashes into wall on exit + somehow cuts track costing me the race
etc. - the AI pilot probably takes more time to add in so why wasn't Manual Control default (AI Control being some beginner option/assist) ???

RunsWithScissors
11-05-2015, 13:01
I'm gonna bump this topic.

The real problem is, the ones who tested the game during development had no rights to be testing a CAR game.

The physics are way off, especially in the drift, cornering, sliding, steering lock area.

If you wanted to create a sim, you needed to ask for backers that ACTUALLY KNOW HOW CARS WORK.

GamingCanuck
11-05-2015, 13:06

The real problem is, the ones who tested the game during development had no rights to be testing a CAR game.

The physics are way off, especially in the drift, cornering, sliding, steering lock area.

If you wanted to create a sim, you needed to ask for backers that ACTUALLY KNOW HOW CARS WORK.

You can't be serious. Out of the 80,000(or more) backers, you think that none of them know how cars drive? Maybe your opinion, because unless you've actually driven a race car that all it is, is wrong.

Blackvault
11-05-2015, 13:07

I'm sorry but a post like this isn't helpful.

If you feel the physics/steering/etc are off then please explain why in a constructive manner, giving examples via footage or telemetry. Suggesting improvements and not just demanding for them to fixed is the appropriate method of constructive criticism. If you are going to do this I would ask you to start a new thread in the correct area of the forum.

Pete