PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Wear / Lap Life Span

Rug22
10-05-2015, 19:05
First part:

I haven't seen this listed in the game, so I apologise if it's blatantly obviously and I've used my man's eyes.

When you load a track to use with a certain car (GT3 Ruf for example), does it tell you anywhere what the expected number of laps you'd expect to get from a set of tyres?

Second part:

I'm guessing this is going to be app related and may only come in for PC gamers, but in the telemetry you can't see the tyre life as you drive but I imagine the PC guys will get this in an app, does anyone know of such an app coming for ps4 / x1 gamers?

dvc
11-05-2015, 05:57
In real life you measure tire wear by lap time and how the car feels. It comes with practice. IMHO its good that there's no gauge showing tire wear

TenthDan
11-05-2015, 06:18
First part:

I haven't seen this listed in the game, so I apologise if it's blatantly obviously and I've used my man's eyes.

When you load a track to use with a certain car (GT3 Ruf for example), does it tell you anywhere what the expected number of laps you'd expect to get from a set of tyres?

Second part:

I'm guessing this is going to be app related and may only come in for PC gamers, but in the telemetry you can't see the tyre life as you drive but I imagine the PC guys will get this in an app, does anyone know of such an app coming for ps4 / x1 gamers?

Yes the Apps on PC provide wear info, i.e. pCARS Profiler or pCARS Telemetry app etc.

For most cars the softs should last reasonably well unless endurance racing, but how they last can be affected by track temp, weather, setup (i.e. pressures) and driving style, so it's good to get to know how the car feels when the tyres start falling away (more sliding - though this doesn't necessarily mean spinning out, just that braking points will be later, more understeer/oversteer etc).

Blackvault
11-05-2015, 06:43
First part:

Second part:

As a rough guide a set of tires on a GT3 car will last around one stint, which is 45-60mins. Obviously it depends on your driving and the track but hopefully this guideline helps.

Pete

Rug22
11-05-2015, 07:19
Thanks for the replies, and I do fully appreciate the feeloof a set of tyres will change during a race.

It'd just be nice to know from the outset the projected lifespan, then tyre wear can be increased and such.

But again thank you

hkraft300
11-05-2015, 08:53
Reckon there are a few different types of tires used in this game

They'll all have a different lifespan, according to the type and conditions and what car is running them

Sounds like a good excuse for a tire test session xD

Katilla
11-05-2015, 09:14
Where is tire wear indicator? How do you know the current status of the tire?
------------------
PS4 is not from the app?
eg: DashMeter (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sensadigit.dashmeterforacpc)

Blackvault
11-05-2015, 09:18
Where is tire wear indicator? How do you know the current status of the tire?
------------------
PS4 is not from the app?
eg: DashMeter (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sensadigit.dashmeterforacpc)

You currently can't see the wear in the HUD. Unfortunately the application you mentioned don't work with consoles so at the moment you have no way of knowing the current wear rate.

I believe there is a request in to try and add the wear to the HUD. I'll try and dig out the thread.

Edit - Here is this the thread (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22811-Worn-Tyres&p=890311&viewfull=1#post890311) and comment from Ian Bell.

Pete

Pablo2008jedi
11-05-2015, 09:29
I was thinking the same thing over the weekend. "where do I find how the tyres life is?" But yeah in a sense I ended up just knowing they were shot by losing rear grip. This was in a McLaren F1 car around Zolder, tyres lasted about 20mins but I had several spins :P

caslad81
11-05-2015, 13:56
Tyre wear does not effect the player, just the AI. I believe it is being looked into at the moment.

Bealdor
11-05-2015, 14:19
Tyre wear does not effect the player, just the AI. I believe it is being looked into at the moment.

That's not true. You can feel the tires degrade (unless I missed a dev confirming a bug with this).

Ecfc
11-05-2015, 20:22
The option of little guages indicating tyre wear and updates from the race engineer would be a huge advancement.

hkraft300
12-05-2015, 07:13
I'd go with an engineer's call over the radio but not the gauge. I can tell by the feel of the tire - sometimes I lose it in 4 laps if I've had a few spins, sometimes it'll last me double that with hard clean driving.

oKUKLINSKIo
12-05-2015, 07:42
First part:

Second part:

Hello there mate. I actually asked this in a separate and I had the good fortune to,speak to Ian Bell. I suggested a graphic to show tyre wear and he thought it was a great idea and said h would get the devs on the case. So fingers crossed it will arrive soon. And for all those who say you don't have one in real life I should imagine you could turn it off.
Gary.

Pablo2008jedi
12-05-2015, 08:08
I'd go with an engineer's call over the radio but not the gauge. I can tell by the feel of the tire - sometimes I lose it in 4 laps if I've had a few spins, sometimes it'll last me double that with hard clean driving.

I'd rather like this option. But its the driver who really knows what's going on. The race engineer should tell you how many laps they 'should' last but ultimately its down to the driver.

king-goji
13-05-2015, 15:10
I've been having tire wear / temperature issues.
I was driving a Gumpert Apollo on Laguna Seca, and about half way through my first lap, the right front went red and lost grip.
The left front went red in a hard turn, but gradually went back to green. The right front stayed red and had almost zero grip for the rest of the race.

I tried to turn off tire wear altogether, and still had the same thing happen in another race.

Is there something I am missing?
I'm confused, not only at why the tire isn't cooling at all, but also why my tires are giving up grip with the wear supposedly turned off.

Love the game though!

Umer Ahmad
13-05-2015, 15:22
Disabling Wear/Damage does NOT disable the grip-loss due to temperature. That's temperature behavior cannot be disabled.

You're likely simply "over-driving" these tyres. Are there other choices of Tyre compound for this car? Should be 1-2 others you can try.

king-goji
13-05-2015, 17:09
Disabling Wear/Damage does NOT disable the grip-loss due to temperature. That's temperature behavior cannot be disabled.

You're likely simply "over-driving" these tyres. Are there other choices of Tyre compound for this car? Should be 1-2 others you can try.Under tire selection, it is set to automatically choose the appropriate tire based on weather.

Is there a different section to pick compound?
I didn't see any compound choices in the race settings menu. Just the 'slick, intermediate, wet' type of choices.

Thanks for the help!

Umer Ahmad
13-05-2015, 17:10
you found them. I assume your testing the Apollo with the "slick" tyres then? Select the "slick" (don't use Auto by weather) and see if it helps.

king-goji
13-05-2015, 17:37
Yeah I tried the slicks, and had the same result as using the 'Auto' option.
Since the weather was sunny, I assume the game was also choosing the slicks, when the auto option was on.

The tires should be cooling at least a little, right?
I understand the concept of tires over-heating, especially in a tight turn or when locking up the brakes, but for one tire to remain solid red for 4 laps out of a 5 lap race, with no cooling at all, doesn't seem right.

Thanks again for your assistance / insight.

Umer Ahmad
13-05-2015, 17:42
Gumpert @ Seca, 5 laps. I'll try now and make a video. Hang on.

Umer Ahmad
13-05-2015, 21:30
http://youtu.be/BpKhbHDSnBo

5 laps, no overheating.

king-goji
13-05-2015, 22:38
Something's going on.
I just did a 6 lap race on Laguna, with a Ruf CTR3 SMS-R.
During the long left hander after the corkscrew, my front right went red.
About the same place on the second lap, my left front went red.
About the same place on the third lap, my right rear went red.
At this point all three were red.
By the 5th lap the left front and right rear were fluctuating between red and green.

The right front stayed red til the race ended.

What could be causing this?
I have the ABS turned off, but I manually 'pump' (repeatedly tap) the brakes. Very rarely do I just jam them on. I'm also using a controller, if it matters.

I'm also not hearing any tire squeal at all, so it doesn't feel like I'm pushing the tires that hard.

Edit:
I have to apologize, too.
It was the Ruf the whole time not the Gumpert. When I turned the game on I had the Ruf in my garage and ran the above race. After which I hopped in to the Gumpert and did the same race, and I had no issues with the tires.

iamthenight
14-05-2015, 08:53
Well i had an endurance race now at silverston. Until first stop 3 tyres were blue all the time but doesn't seems to afect grip (light rain all the way until stop).

Katilla
14-05-2015, 09:27
You currently can't see the wear in the HUD. Unfortunately the application you mentioned don't work with consoles so at the moment you have no way of knowing the current wear rate.

I believe there is a request in to try and add the wear to the HUD. I'll try and dig out the thread.

Edit - Here is this the thread (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22811-Worn-Tyres&p=890311&viewfull=1#post890311) and comment from Ian Bell.

Pete

Thank you Pete! Sorry! I'm waiting to get into PS4 version of it!

king-goji
14-05-2015, 10:56
Right now, the tire over-heating issue I'm having on Laguna Seca only seems to be effecting the RUF CTR3 SMS-R. And it's consistent. Every other car I entered in to the same race last night was fine. No issues. Put the Ruf back in, and boom solid red right front from the third to last corner of the first lap, all the way through the rest of the race.

I really threw some of the cars around too. Lots of squealing and tire smoke. They'd go red briefly then cool right back down. The Ruf had no major drama at all, no tire smoke no squealing, just suddenly and almost permanently over-heated. The only time I got it to cool back down to green was sitting parked on the side of the track for like 6-10 seconds. Of course, as soon as it went through a turn it went right back to red.