PDA

View Full Version : Donington park qualification

Pikamark
10-05-2015, 19:53
Now that I've got my controller settings better I've started the Clio cup but trying to qualify for the race at donington park I can pretty much stay on track and make all corners apart from one which nearly every lap I get pulled off track or nearly go into a spin and it's hardly a corner I'm sure it's the camber of the track.
I think it's around turn 3 anyone else having this or is it just I'm needing more practise .

MRM3RL1N
10-05-2015, 21:18
Is it deffo Donnington? because i had a similar issue around oulton, and what it turned out to be is a downward left hand turn that you have to take at speed, now i kept trying to coast around the corner with no throttle but every time i did i kept oversteering and crashing, i plucked up enough courage and found this corner needs to be taken with a bit of a bang, i believe it could be down to the fact of how the car weight is being distributed? maybe when accelerating the rear end is hunkered down thus offering more traction?

Pikamark
10-05-2015, 21:57
Yer Defo donnington I think you maybe right about taking it faster think I just need more practise trouble is I get a it on the grass then get the flag saying lap time won't count.

MRM3RL1N
10-05-2015, 22:01
if you can tell me what car and corner you are having trouble with i can have a bash to see if i can find a solution to how to take it for you? only problem is i use a wheel so i may find it a lot easier

Pikamark
11-05-2015, 05:37
Yer you was right tried going flat out and managed to stay on and qualified 3rd eventually
It was in the Renault Clio at donington I'm sure it is the 3rd as you go down hill slightly left before the 4th right turn its barely a turn really

Thanks

drakau
11-05-2015, 06:44
I had the same problem, it's last turn in the Craner Curves just before the Old Hairpin. I've stood down there watching races before so I know that the crowd is getting a good kick watching me fly off :)

I had a similar sort of problem going into the left right chicane at Snetterton the next round where the AI seems to be able to dab the brakes but I have to brake a lot longer and coast round at a much much lower speed (yes i had warm tyres)

could_do_better
11-05-2015, 06:51
Yer you was right tried going flat out and managed to stay on and qualified 3rd eventually
It was in the Renault Clio at donington I'm sure it is the 3rd as you go down hill slightly left before the 4th right turn its barely a turn really

Thanks

Now you know how much of a simulation it really is! It's all about balancing the car, the only way to fast times is to know every bump and dip on the circuit and the car's behaviour. Donington has always been one of my favourites. Get the Cramer Curves just right and you can make up 1s get them wrong and its all over.

IXBEEFXI
11-05-2015, 06:55
Now that I've got my controller settings better I've started the Clio cup but trying to qualify for the race at donington park I can pretty much stay on track and make all corners apart from one which nearly every lap I get pulled off track or nearly go into a spin and it's hardly a corner I'm sure it's the camber of the track.
I think it's around turn 3 anyone else having this or is it just I'm needing more practise .

If this is the slight kink in the track that is downhill, i had this problem initially as well (again in the Clio cup). This area is the 3rd turn (Craner Curves) on the track and is notorious in RL for being difficult due to the change in camber, high speed and the fact that it is also downhill.

I found that for the 1st lap or two it is worth keeping the car a little more central on the track on your approach and just touching the brakes before you have to make the left turning, if you feel the car start to drift a bit add a LITTLE bit of counter steer and feather the throttle lightly.

After a couple of laps you can get away without braking but instead giving a little lift off of the throttle at the same point you were braking before.

Once you are fully confident and know how the camber affects the body roll of the car as well as what will happen under braking you should, once tyres are up to temp, be able to just about do this corner without breaking at all.

It took me a full 1.5 hours of going round this track to get this corner right the majority of the time but it still catches me out sometimes. I am sure there are various things that you can do in the car setup to help but i am not great at this so someone else will no doubt come along and help with that aspect of it.

As a small caveat, this is using the Clio in good weather conditions with little to nothing changed from the default set up (i may have lowered my tyre temps a little) but as soon as it starts raining.........:culpability:

K3NCars
11-05-2015, 07:04
Had the same problems on Donnington and Oulton, I've put a rubber band (0.5 - 1mm) round the left stick to avoid the max. steering angle.

Pikamark
11-05-2015, 08:51
If this is the slight kink in the track that is downhill, i had this problem initially as well (again in the Clio cup). This area is the 3rd turn (Craner Curves) on the track and is notorious in RL for being difficult due to the change in camber, high speed and the fact that it is also downhill.

I found that for the 1st lap or two it is worth keeping the car a little more central on the track on your approach and just touching the brakes before you have to make the left turning, if you feel the car start to drift a bit add a LITTLE bit of counter steer and feather the throttle lightly.

After a couple of laps you can get away without braking but instead giving a little lift off of the throttle at the same point you were braking before.

Once you are fully confident and know how the camber affects the body roll of the car as well as what will happen under braking you should, once tyres are up to temp, be able to just about do this corner without breaking at all.

It took me a full 1.5 hours of going round this track to get this corner right the majority of the time but it still catches me out sometimes. I am sure there are various things that you can do in the car setup to help but i am not great at this so someone else will no doubt come along and help with that aspect of it.

As a small caveat, this is using the Clio in good weather conditions with little to nothing changed from the default set up (i may have lowered my tyre temps a little) but as soon as it starts raining.........:culpability:

Yes that's the corner getting used to it a it now thAt I've driven the track for around an hour I'm sure this game will only get better
Thanks for the replys

Dresden
11-05-2015, 10:03
Yeah, Donnington Park was horrible for me too until I got used to it. There are plenty of parts that are off camber. Just study which parts of that track you can attack and which you must hold back on. I did the formula rookie second race in the pouring rain and learnt the new meaning of fear and blind driving. It was fantastic!

Plato99
11-05-2015, 11:07
Regarding Donington, and this is a very very small nitpicky niggle:
You've correctly taken out the Dunlop Bridge and Starkey's Bridge, but the big Sparkplug tower is still there between the Old Hairpin and Schwantz Curve. Thats gone too :)
Otherwise, its "just like being there" !! :)