PDA

View Full Version : Crash physics unrealistic

Synergist
10-05-2015, 22:31
I've noticed that when you do have some contact online, the physics go crazy. The cars seem to 'stick' together and whoever is on the inside of a corner will easily push the other car off. It's like gravity and inertia suddenly don't apply to the 'victim' car. The other car seems to just follow them straight off too, almost in a straight line like somehow they're on rails. It's really weird.

This means that for lower powered touring series, like Clio Cup -- where a bit of paint swapping is quite normal -- you dare not touch someone, lest you ruin both people's races. You'd expect to be able to jostle the cars a little bit, a little tap here, a nudge there. In other respects, aside from the weird way cars interact when you collide online, the physics are very real (bouncing over raised kerbs through chicanes is really fun to do, and gets two wheels in the air like you'd expect).

Barnezy318
10-05-2015, 22:52
yeah I noticed this a bit. Is there an option for the person making contact to be automatically given a penalty? It would help a lot with all the bumper car racers out there!

Mahjik
10-05-2015, 22:54
In some respects, it does sort of simulate when cars get bodywork locked together (which does happen). It shouldn't happen often unless it's a pretty big hit. I've had races with people during the development phase where we have bumped and not had the problem. However, with the smaller sample of people who were racing during the testing phase compared to now that it's been released, you were able to have more trust racing closely as you knew the person really well. With public racing, it's sort of a crap shoot as to who you are racing against so the contact is likely a lot harder.