PDA

View Full Version : honest opinion, graphics compared to forza 5? details please..

spartanmike1978
11-05-2015, 01:19
Just want some honest opinions, im picking up the game tuesday regardless, but for those who have it, how do the graphics compare to forza 5? Be specific please.

TenthDan
11-05-2015, 01:26
You might need to be specific too ;)

Are you referring to general lighting? Track detail? Car detail? Smoothness? etc...

Also remember pCARS has full time of day and weather effects, so the 'look' will change depending on what is selected there (I.e. Overcast can look more realistic in some cases, as can dusk/dawn etc, but they can't be directly compared...).

yusupov
11-05-2015, 01:42
yeah its almost not comparable bc forza 5 is pre-baked, everything can be made to look ideal for one specific time of day (or more if they have more than 1 option). doing it compeltely dynamically in all kinds of weather is another level.

spartanmike1978
11-05-2015, 02:01
To be more specific, is the lighting and weather on par with say driveclub? Also ive heard the xbox version has some ruff aliasing with jaggies? Im buying the xbox one version so just curious is the jaggies and aliasing are an issue, forza 5 aliasing was fine with me and i didnt see to many jaggies.

TenthDan
11-05-2015, 02:10
It won't quite be as detailed as DriveClub as DC runs at 30fps vs pCARS' 60fps.

I haven't seen the aliasing raised as a significant issue, so it may be down to how sensitive you are to noticing that type of thing....

ashasha
11-05-2015, 03:52
I am still waiting to play it since I'm in the USA, but I've been watching youtube videos of it all day. There was a great side by side with the PS4 version and while the aliasing was noticeable it wasn't bad. Ironically the detail on the xBox looked a lot better to me; specifically environmental things and especially in the distance. The PS4 looked like there was some kind of smoothing or masking going on.

stux
11-05-2015, 04:23
Just want some honest opinions, im picking up the game tuesday regardless, but for those who have it, how do the graphics compare to forza 5? Be specific please.

One thing I've noticed, and I like, in Forza 5 you often see little white blinky lines between panels on cars. I find that annoying. It doesn't happen in Project Cars.

Dresden
11-05-2015, 05:04
I think that the tracks are head and shoulders better than Forza. The tracks over there seem quite dull and 'locked' to me, the ones on PCars are so much better with their lighting, rubble marbles, wet surfaces, leaves etc. Forza still has the edge in car design and the garage look, no doubt due to the bigger budget. Therefore I am blown away by the number of tracks are how good they look.

And for things like car handling, braking and audio, it leaves Forza in the dust.

And I am not a Forza basher, I loved and played every one, but this game is far superior to me.

spartanmike1978
11-05-2015, 05:08
Forza 5 being a launch game, id assume this game should look better, a bit bummed with the 900p, i just think for racing games inparticular graphics lend to the immersion factor, i own both xbox and ps4, and driveclub looks phenomenal but is quite shallow with no tuning or customization, a game with driveclubs graphics and project cars features is badically my dream racer. I prefer to play on xbox one though, thats why im so interested in graphical opinions.

yusupov
11-05-2015, 05:10
a better comparison for driveclub is probably the order 1886, & no im not kidding. both 30fps locked showpieces, neither of them racing sims.

NVI0U5
11-05-2015, 05:13
Forza has gone backwards since FM3... once they went Horizon etc its become more $$ less Quality

menaceuk
11-05-2015, 05:46

Ok, let me start by getting the obvious out the way. Comparing PCARS to F5 is not really a great idea. 1.) F5 is first party and specifically built for the X1 hardware. 2.)It is made by a group of people very knowledgeable about said hardware. 3.) They have very different Goals in mind.

Now, In overall presentation and polish Forza 5 wins hands down, this is not a knock against P-CARS, very few games match Forza in this regard. In terms of graphics it is a bit of mixed bag. I think in General Forza 5 is better visually. However, P-CARS has some awesome environmental effects with time of day, Sun effects, and a general all round better atmosphere. Plus, it has weather, something I have been asking for in Forza since Forza 2. I have a feeling Forza 6 will have weather.

To be honest though, and maybe this is just me, visuals are the least important thing for me. With a game like this I want two things. 1.) Great Physics. 2.) Great Performance. Unfortunately, at this moment in time P-CARS fails on the latter.

FA RACING 01
11-05-2015, 05:53
Perhaps not right up there with Forza 5 on the graphics per se, but with all the day cycles and weather on PCars, it's very good imo and overall perhaps even better.

spartanmike1978
11-05-2015, 06:15
Thanks for the replies everybody, i know there is no definitive answer and opinions are subjective, i was just hoping this game would knock it out of the park in all aspects, seems like its been billed as the best looking racer since day one, i know that translates to pc and consoles just arnt as strong, but honestly a little dissapointed everyone seems to think forza 5, a launch game looks better than the latest console racing game available. I will have fun either way.

spartanmike1978
11-05-2015, 06:19
On a side note, i do think turn 10 will knock it out of the park with forza 6, supposedly using a new engine called "forzatech" plus the xbox one api and drivers have been significantly revamped since launch, and rumors point to forza 6 being the first full dx12 graphical showcase. Im pretty hyped, between project cars and forza 6, great times ahead for racing fans!

Dresden
11-05-2015, 06:24
Once the Xbox has been patched it will be heaps better than Forza. One thing I cannot stand is the sliding feel that Forza cars have in braking. PCars kills Forza (IMO) because it has the best feel through the rubber that I had experience in a car game. Using headphones I can hear the chassis, brakes, wheels, engine, everything, working under braking. I went back to Forza yesterday and got none of that feeling. Plus the volume is so loud in Pcars. My television needs 45 on the volume to get the 'magic' sound feeling for Forza, on Pcars it only needs 24!

If I played this game on 45 the windows would shatter!

So yes Forza has better presentation and graphics for cars. But this game has better tracks, audio and handing. And that is more important.

TenthDan
11-05-2015, 06:24
Thanks for the replies everybody, i know there is no definitive answer and opinions are subjective, i was just hoping this game would knock it out of the park in all aspects, seems like its been billed as the best looking racer since day one, i know that translates to pc and consoles just arnt as strong, but honestly a little dissapointed everyone seems to think forza 5, a launch game looks better than the latest console racing game available. I will have fun either way.

Not 'everyone' thinks Forza 5 looks better ;)

But, remember Forza has static lighting and conditions. It's much easier to get the graphics nice in just those conditions than across a 24hr time scale with variable weather. We've seen it on the WMD forum as the game developed, sometimes the weather looked sublime, but night time or clouds would be broken. And it runs at mostly 60fps (Forza made compromises to hit that even with static lighting http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-23-digital-foundry-vs-forza-motorsport-5). Then that's fixed and other conditions change, it's more difficult that it may appear :)

spartanmike1978
11-05-2015, 06:47
Very true Tenthdan, forza does have baked lighting but does infact run at a full 1080 60, and all this was achieved with early hardware revisions and crap unoptimized mono driver at the time the xbox one launched. Much has been improved software wise on xbox one since launch, so this game running at a lower resolution later in the consoles lifecycle technically should look a bit better than a launch game. Like i said earlier, i am picking this up tuesday morning a d plan to enjoy it regardless of graphics either way.

Sankyo
11-05-2015, 07:03
Very true Tenthdan, forza does have baked lighting but does infact run at a full 1080 60, and all this was achieved with early hardware revisions and crap unoptimized mono driver at the time the xbox one launched. Much has been improved software wise on xbox one since launch, so this game running at a lower resolution later in the consoles lifecycle technically should look a bit better than a launch game. Like i said earlier, i am picking this up tuesday morning a d plan to enjoy it regardless of graphics either way.
Don't forget that pCARS's physics engine is more complex than F5's, eating a lot of power that cannot be spent anymore on graphics.

spartanmike1978
11-05-2015, 07:12
Forzas physics engine is top notch and praised by renowned professional drivers

spartanmike1978
11-05-2015, 07:15
There are trade offs in everygame i guess, pc has dynamic weather andtons of settings, forza has way more cars and customization

spartanmike1978
11-05-2015, 07:16
Then again pc has way more tracks

SN1P3R SK33T
11-05-2015, 07:25
Forza 5 definitely has a more polished look. Also the frame rate on Forza 5 is more stable. But it is understandable since Forza has a lot less going on.

menaceuk
11-05-2015, 07:26
Forzas physics engine is top notch and praised by renowned professional drivers

It does have a great physics engine. However, it lets down by the amount of cars Forza has to account for. Ergo, the cars in Forza generally feel rather generic in comparison to similar cars. PCars doesn't suffer this problem and there for all cars seem very different.

X30 Nemec666
11-05-2015, 07:32
If you're ever driven at the Nürburgring around noon in the rain, with an Audi R8 Ultra in the chase cam view and suddenly the sun rises and all immersed in beautiful orange - then you've forgotten what is Forza 5!

spartanmike1978
11-05-2015, 07:40
X30nemec666 sounds great! Cant wait till tuesday to try out this bad boy!

PumaSpec
11-05-2015, 07:41
You can't compare! I personally like PCars better. The best thing I love about this game is the 'Movement' of the car while inside the cockpit view.

There's me thinking this is going to be a Breeze in a RuF on Oulton Park and Brands. I was wrong... It's like sitting in a F-16 simulator at an Air Show.

Yes over exaggerated but I love it!

spartanmike1978
11-05-2015, 07:49
PUMASPEC, sounds great, i have no doubt this will be a great game which will age well with future patches and refinements, its great to have another option for a go to sim racer besides gt or forza, competition drives innovation!

spartanmike1978
11-05-2015, 07:51
Pumaspec, is the movement like driveclub with "camera shake" and such, i really enjoyed the movement effects in driveclub, really added to the immersion factor!

Revvin
11-05-2015, 08:02
I think Project Cars looks better than Forza 5 and Driveclub. Remember a lot of the stuff you see online for Driveclub is using the photo mode which adds a lot of post processing effects, it doesn't look quite so great when you're playing. Forza always has a bit of a weird yellow tint to it where as pCars has more natural looking lighting to me. In terms of both the graphics and the physics/handling pCars is the game to beat on consoles right now.

PumaSpec
11-05-2015, 08:27
Pumaspec, is the movement like driveclub with "camera shake" and such, i really enjoyed the movement effects in driveclub, really added to the immersion factor!

Never played Driveclub mate sorry. Yes it's like camera shake but you really feel yourself being pulled along in the car. You can feel the G-Force. Even with a controller like I play.

gizziegod
11-05-2015, 09:34
racing games are all about the feel, i could be driving on a ribbon of tarmac with everything else blank, for all the notice i take when racing im focused on the ribbon. but i do like the sun flare effects they are very pretty

Plato99
11-05-2015, 09:54
EVERYTHING about PCars is better than Forza 5, including the graphics.

Weather effects, lighting, reflectance, AI, sound, the race cars have race interiors (i.e. no race cars with CD players and Aircon!!) and most importantly; no half-baked micro economy and coin grinding.
Give it a few weeks and none of us will look back.

Dresden
11-05-2015, 09:56
The one part that needs to be fixed in Pcars is the vehicle collisions. The side to side crashes are really horrible and tend to flip your car too easily. Forza had more 'weight' to the feel so it did feel better.

Race interiors and dash are fantastic in this game though. I noticed that the digital display logs the total driving distance. Really cool!

Seps1974
11-05-2015, 10:38

Weather effects, lighting, reflectance, AI, sound, the race cars have race interiors (i.e. no race cars with CD players and Aircon!!) and most importantly; no half-baked micro economy and coin grinding.
Give it a few weeks and none of us will look back.

Can't agree with you, I'm sorry but that's fan boy talk.
For someone like me that loves cars & gaming, it's great to have such awesome games to have fun with.
In some aspects P CARS is better than Forza and vice versa, but it's the differences between them that makes me buy both and enjoy them.

Cheers

Plato99
11-05-2015, 10:55
Can't agree with you, I'm sorry but that's fan boy talk.

Fanboy?!
How can I be a fanboy? I've only owned the game 2 days!
Mind you, in that time I've learned that Forza 5's coin-grinding micro-transaction based 3-lap bore-fest is not the route I want my racing games to go down. After Forza 3 and 4, 5 was a huge step backwards in my opinion.
PCars, in the limited time Ive had to play it, despite the initial disappointments with the controls, is shaping up to be a PROPER racing game. Not a cash-cow XBox One show pony pertaining to be a racing game.
Just my honest opinion.

Megalomanic87
11-05-2015, 10:56
I think the problem with Forza 5 is that it was rushed to co release with the console, the devs didn't have a lot of time to tweak it, although T10 in my opinion have been awfully lazy with their last 2 installments of Forza.

Project cars is definitely superior in a LOT of ways, Weather Dynamics, Time Progression, Tuning, Tracks. Everything a racing enthusiast wants in a game, Forza 5 was the shadow of Forza 3, and it was nothing compared to the great Forza 2.

All in all, Turn 10 have a lot of work to do to bring the fans back for Forza 6, as i can see myself being on Pcars for the long haul, who have better devs and a more committed team.

Seps1974
11-05-2015, 11:09

Sorry man, but when you make this kind of statement, to me that's fan boy talk simply because that's no true.

Plato99
11-05-2015, 11:14
Sorry man, but when you make this kind of statement, to me that's fan boy talk simply because that's no true.

The OP asked for honest opinions. I gave him mine.
Next time I'll ask if you agree before I post.

Srt8 300c
11-05-2015, 11:44
Forza vista is very pretty showing the car off in the garage to incredible detail. Project cars on xbox one isnt quite as "shiny"

In my opinion project cars looks better than forza 5 on the track. Day and night cycle/realistic weather even leaves blowing up on the track as you pass over them!!!

The light shining through the tree canopys and heat haze look beautiful.

They also replicate race weekend through practice few spectators to qualifying a few more to the race which is very busy with people.
But also keeps the eerie feeling of being alone on the track with your car.

Unfortunatley there is no option to spray your car or add decals but the selection of paint jobs are very nice and varied.

Graphics wont dissapoint you mate.

If you like Sim racers you will love this game!!!

Just remember it isnt forza and has a harder learning curve!!!

rauf0
11-05-2015, 11:56
I think the problem with Forza 5 is that it was rushed to co release with the console,

2 years release cycle. So it was perfectly just in time.
Like FH2 and now FM6 will be.

Seps1974
11-05-2015, 11:56
The OP asked for honest opinions. I gave him mine.
Next time I'll ask if you agree before I post.

This is a public forum, so you can have your opinion and I can agree or desagree with it.
Saying everything about P CARS it's better than Forza it's not honest.
Forza race cars with CD player and aircon, don't remember the Audi R18 with this(just an example). Forza graphics are better to me as is photo mode, P CARS photo mode is very limited. P CARS with wheel it's tons of fun, just love it. Forza with wheel, the behaviour of the cars don't feel natural to me.

Keeping in mind that SMS doesn't has SONY or Microsoft behind, what they achieved with P CARS it's huge.

_mrP_
11-05-2015, 12:03
yeah, coinciding with a day 1 release of a brand new console, that's everyday normal, not rushy at all.

I mean, you are a member/backer, you understand how these things work.
And what if that console had its entire online system changed the last moment? thats nothing too.

Seps1974
11-05-2015, 12:06

Turn 10 had to deal with a new platform, so it wasn't the "normal" 2 years cycle.

Ironfistedmonk
11-05-2015, 12:07
No the graphics aren't as good, for reasons already mentioned, but Forza is a hollow shell of the game it used to be. The touted Forzatech is probably just another way of making the cars look all shiny in Forzavista, so if you ever wanted to stare into the boot of a VW Rabbit in all it's 1080p glory you can to your hearts content, racing seems to be an afterthought in that series these days, I'm hoping Forza 6 proves me wrong but I'm not hopeful

Plato99
11-05-2015, 12:15
This is a public forum, so you can have your opinion and I can agree or desagree with it.
Saying everything about P CARS it's better than Forza it's not honest.

So I'm dishonest too? For giving my honest opinion? I'm really pleased you know my own mind better than I do, that's reassuring if i should ever need a therapy session.

The OP asked for opinions. I gave mine. He/ She didnt ask for other's opinions on those opinions. Not going to enter an extended debate about this, I'm more grown up than that. This poster aint for trolling :)

Seps1974
11-05-2015, 12:37
So I'm dishonest too? For giving my honest opinion? I'm really pleased you know my own mind better than I do, that's reassuring if i should ever need a therapy session.

The OP asked for opinions. I gave mine. He/ She didnt ask for other's opinions on those opinions. Not going to enter an extended debate about this, I'm more grown up than that. This poster aint for trolling :)

I'm thinking of substitute my Wheel Stand Pro for a Playseat... I'll accept the Playseat as a payment for therapy :p

Plato99
11-05-2015, 12:45
I'm thinking of substitute my Wheel Stand Pro for a Playseat... I'll accept the Playseat as a payment for therapy :p

Chuck in the stand and you've got a deal mate ;)

No One
11-05-2015, 14:41
racing seems to be an afterthought in that series these days, I'm hoping Forza 6 proves me wrong but I'm not hopeful

i have been thinking this since FM4. it seems like they have a community game with racing as an alternate activity.
FM5 for me was a disaster. once i saw a car lifting the rear wheels off the ground a few feet into the air under its own breaking power, i quit. i have never seen a car do this in real life. oddly enough, it was a VW Rabbit. a car i have owned several of, over 2 decades. my last one, i sold about 10 months ago.

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 14:43
Honest opinion. They are running baked single time of day lighting with no weather on a single system.

We're running fully dynamic time of day with no baking and fully dynamic weather on multiple systems.

Given the above, we're doing very well indeed.

rauf0
11-05-2015, 14:45
yeah, coinciding with a day 1 release of a brand new console, that's everyday normal, not rushy at all.

I mean, you are a member/backer, you understand how these things work.
And what if that console had its entire online system changed the last moment? thats nothing too.

So it's not rushed in any way, rather planned and released on time?
What dou you mean last moment? There was day one patch, but i guess hardware and all technical stuff behide was ready much earlier due to world wide distribution (well almost world wide).

menaceuk
11-05-2015, 15:53
Honest opinion. They are running baked single time of day lighting with no weather on a single system.

We're running fully dynamic time of day with no baking and fully dynamic weather on multiple systems.

Once you sort out the performance issues.

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 16:35
Once you sort out the performance issues.

Miaow

Patrik Marek
11-05-2015, 16:57
only think I like in Foza5 more is the Autovista mode, where you can look at your car from closeup,
As many said, you can't that easily compare the two, becasue one is fully dynamic and the other fully baked.

there are times where Forza5 will look better, and then there are times where pCARS will look much better.

important for me is the racing, in pCARS it feels like proper racing career mode, in Forza it's just 'track day' after track day, no real purpose ( other then grinding $$$ for more cars)
also the 2 lap races? where you always start from the back?

but if you can, have both and enjoy each one for their strengths

spartanmike1978
11-05-2015, 17:07
All being said, a game releasing a year and a half later than a launch title should have a graphical edge regardless, from streams, which are honestly hard to go by, I DO think project cars looks better than forza 5, lighting looks more natural, dynamic weather is a huge plus, and the sheer number of tracks is awesome and was forza 5's biggest issue for me, not expecting a huge graphical jump over forza 5, but honestly project cars should look better than a launch title plain and simple

Patrik Marek
11-05-2015, 17:11
plan and simple ? only it's not that plain and simple at all

yes, if it used same methods such as baked in lighting, if should look better, that's true, but it's not
if you have 10 lighting scenarios over your entire game, you can tweak them to perfection quite easily,

when dynamic lighting & weather gives you 1,000,000+ scenarios, well you can't do tweaks to fit certain combination

and then there's also engine coding/optimizing experience, where someone as big as Turn10 with so many years of experience with Xbox are in different situation then a small team from UK ( as much as I don't want to use this excuse, because I don't like to hear it from other titles, where people use it a lot if any criticism is presented )

spartanmike1978
11-05-2015, 17:17
Forza 5 may not have been "rushed" but the hardware wasn't static and software wasn't final, turn10 were shooting at a moving target, and it was still the only 1080 60 launch exclusive for either console and I thought a great launch game! I also own ps4 and enjoy driveclub but it runs at half the framerate and has no customization or tuning and a quarter of the cars! It SHOULD look better obviously! I can imagine if forza 5 ran at a locked 30 fps the graphical fidelity would be twice as good too. Honestly I'm fine with a locked 30 fps like driveclub and horizon 2, both feel great and very smooth, racers should look as real as possible, to me gameplay and graphics are key to immersion for racers

MLSXLD
11-05-2015, 17:45
Forza5 shows a more smooth present as a result of 1080p and better anti-aliasing. On other aspects Pcars is better. I think the biggest issue for the graphics of Pcars is the poor anti-aliasing, PS4 and PC with MSAA is apparently much better then the XBOX version.
The jags on my 24' monitor really make me suffer:(

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 17:47
Some appear to be ignoring the non baked, dynamic lighting and dynamic weather aspect.

Think about that and remember even first party games run at 30 FPS when they have some or all of the above.

menaceuk
11-05-2015, 17:48
Miaow

LOL.

_mrP_
11-05-2015, 17:51

I will wait until first performance patch before I comment on the above.

You do agree that for a racing game, consistent framerate is required, yes?

bybyeGTi
11-05-2015, 20:10
Hard to compare graphics. Cars look to be a similar level of detail, tracks look similar in comparable conditions. For the most part PCars also doesn't run anywhere near 60 FPS for me. Dips in performance are regular, some so significant they cause a total lock up, with me losing control and writing off my race. IMO targeting lots of platforms shouldn't be used as a excuse. Neither should real time lighting be a excuse, if using a physically based lighting system, like any good modern game, then the switch in conditions should be causing minimal amounts of pain if the materials are setup Properly. Maybe PCars spent too long in development, resulting in a slightly outdated engine. But that maybe harsh.

Graphically my only complaint is a real lack of detail in places that you'll see regularly - pit lanes for example. Materials look flat and lack any real depth. Also the lack of 3D detail here- the pit garages look more like a car park for race cars. Where's all the stuff you see in real pit garages? Tyres, tools, monitoring equipment, mechanics etc. It's a small gripe but you really do spend enough time in pit lanes to notice.

Overall, coming from Forza, I don't think you'll be disappointed Graphically. But neither will you be dazzled.

menaceuk
12-05-2015, 09:57
Some appear to be ignoring the non baked, dynamic lighting and dynamic weather aspect.

Think about that and remember even first party games run at 30 FPS when they have some or all of the above.

Some appear to be ignoring the performance issues ;)

Yes, F5 is pre baked and all that and P'CARS isn't. However, P'CARS was marketed s 60FPS and it really isn't 90% of the time. Hell, Oulton Park in the Formula Rookie season often turns into a slide show.

It is fine saying one has this and another has that, but you need to think of the product as a whole. What good is awesome graphics and weather when the performance is in the toilet? Forza Horizon had a massive open world, impressive lighting, dynamic day & night, and dynamic weather. Sure, it was 30FPS, but it was consistent and stable.

Performance in a racing title is king.

UntrainedN00B01
12-05-2015, 10:17
Some appear to be ignoring the performance issues ;)

Yes, F5 is pre baked and all that and P'CARS isn't. However, P'CARS was marketed s 60FPS and it really isn't 90% of the time. Hell, Oulton Park in the Formula Rookie season often turns into a slide show.

I disagree with the comment about it turning into a slide show. I have had some framerate issuse but nothing as bad as what you claim.

menaceuk
12-05-2015, 10:26
I disagree with the comment about it turning into a slide show. I have had some framerate issuse but nothing as bad as what you claim.

You can disagree, but that doesn't change the fact that it does happen. It didn't happen to me when I was doing the touring car season--still got plenty of slow down--but in formula rookie it happened in practice, qualifying, race 1& 2.

itakethepics
12-05-2015, 10:29

Yeah i've never noticed anything as bad as a slideshow of framerate drop. Maybe the odd bit of framelag but nothing im pulling my hair out over. Seen so many different stories though so its weird why some people are getting the issues compared to others. Going to rig a USB 3.0 SSD to my machine at the weekend and run pCars from there. Should load the game better since it should utilise the SSD at 3Gbps rather than the 5400rpm HDD in the Xbox One. Anyone done this??

Budski
12-05-2015, 11:04
Forza is better, clearly better and all those I play with agree, but the dynamic effects in pcars are much harder to produce so it will struggle to look as good. People saying this looks better are blind. Having said that I would rather have the dynamic environment of pcars than the pre-done gloss of forza. I can't tell you how happy I was when a spring came flying off my car in a huge accident and bounced through the gravel, really cool.

totlxtc
12-05-2015, 11:29
As an avid and long time Forza fan I have referred to Forzas graphics as more polished. I would compare them to a picture perfect image. In fact I think they are too perfect and maybe lack a little life.

Project Cars circuit feel alive, more populated and race tracks are not picture perfect. They are usually smelly, dirty and gritty places and I think Project Cars has nailed it. Add the dynamic weather and lighting and no one here wouldn't think blasting down the Mulsanne with the sun dropping behind the trees, god rays beaming through, cars lights ablaze, flames firing from the exhausts does not feel special.

Forza is your photoshopped pin-up, Project Cars is the girl next door.

Ixoye56
12-05-2015, 11:41
Forza 5 Has a bit more polished look, PCars other hand, with all the day cycles and weather it's very good imo, and overall perhaps even better.
But what is more important imo, is that the PC cars have the superior physics.

HBK
12-05-2015, 13:10
Honest opinion ?

Basically what the boss said.

Under similar conditions, Forza 5 tend to look better and holds a rock solid 60 frames per second refresh.

But there are so many conditions FM5 doesn't simulate it's ridiculous.

SMS/WMD managed to deliver a racing game with almost 30 tracks, 60-something cars (all pretty different), fully dynamic time of day and weather (on all tracks :p), all while aiming for a 60 frames per second refresh rate at a decent resolution (1600x900 if i'm not mistaken) on what is basically notebook hardware.

And while there are issues holding the 60 frames per second refresh (that they are reportedly improving in an upcoming patch), it hits those 60 frames per second on a regular basis (much more than GT6 or even GT5 for example).

So all things considered, and while holding a 60 frames per second refresh is indeed paramount and should be prioritized for the upcoming patches, I think the games looks quite good and compares very well to FM5.

Or even FH2.

Starting a practice session with a slight fog and having the sun gradually piercing through the dissipating fog is a sight to behold. And even if the game have a hard time maintaining its target framerate and suffers from some aliasing, it provides sceneries that are nowhere to be found in FM5.

Benja190782
12-05-2015, 13:53
Imho. Forza looks way more cartoonish than PCARS - infact you can't even compare these to because of the weather system and Day/Night.

TriggrPullrUSMC
12-05-2015, 15:30
Imho. Forza looks way more cartoonish than PCARS - infact you can't even compare these to because of the weather system and Day/Night.

I agree- I jumped on for about an hour this AM before leaving for work just to kind of play around. I like to concentrate on the driving portion and the track and not so much the surrounding areas so I am probably not the best judge. However, after driving Spa 3 laps and Nurb. 1 lap I was very pleasantly surprised at how nice everything looked. I can't wait to spend more time with it.

One thing I noticed is the feeling of speed is much less in PC than Forza I am really curious to try to figure out what is causing that. I really seemed to be going like 80mph but was really at 170+ odd

revolverdyret
12-05-2015, 15:36
The tracks and cars on Forza 5 is better than on PC, the tracks on Forza 5 is unmatched in any racing game in my opinon because they laser captured most of the tracks, like every bump in the concrete on Sebring, the tracks feel more to scale than on other racing games, but of course since Forza 5 is an Xbox One exclusive it's more tailored to the console, so of course it will look better and have better performance, although it doesn't have any dynamic weather it's hard to compare them and say one is better than the other. Also it might be that a smaller third party studio might not have the budget to laser capture several cars and tracks.

yusupov
12-05-2015, 15:37
are you running motion blur on full? tbh i always just turn it off as im used to it, but i noticed when forza laserscanned the ring a comparison of it with some PC (computer :)) sim, & the sense of speed was drastically different, much more dramatic (im trying not to say better) in forza. i figured it was just very good motion blur.

ashasha
12-05-2015, 21:57
I have a lot of aliasing in Project CARS that I don't notice in Forza. Only did some solo practice runs and there is stuttering. FFB is proving to be an extremely tough nut to crack.

Fabian Fa5
13-05-2015, 04:28
Just got my hands on my copy today tracks are amazing but having trouble setting up my controller holy moly talk about sensitive. Lol

spartanmike1978
13-05-2015, 05:09
Picked up the game today and since I started this post felt my duty to weigh in. I really think the graphics are awesome, the bloom, lighting, track detail, and cars are all top notch. The weather effects are right there with driveclub, and I think the lighting rivals driveclub. The cars to have a bit of aliasing, though nothing terrible, a patch might do the trick. All in all a great looking game, but here's my gripe, the controls are horrendous!!!! I'm sliding everywhere, way to twitchy, and very frustrating. If anything that's what will be the games downfall, if it doesn't get ironed out soon. Otherwise the graphics are awesome to me! Better than expected, now just PLEASE fix the controls and we have a monster game on our hands!

thisisbleep
13-05-2015, 05:33
Just got my hands on my copy today tracks are amazing but having trouble setting up my controller holy moly talk about sensitive. Lol

Picked up the game today and since I started this post felt my duty to weigh in. I really think the graphics are awesome, the bloom, lighting, track detail, and cars are all top notch. The weather effects are right there with driveclub, and I think the lighting rivals driveclub. The cars to have a bit of aliasing, though nothing terrible, a patch might do the trick. All in all a great looking game, but here's my gripe, the controls are horrendous!!!! I'm sliding everywhere, way to twitchy, and very frustrating. If anything that's what will be the games downfall, if it doesn't get ironed out soon. Otherwise the graphics are awesome to me! Better than expected, now just PLEASE fix the controls and we have a monster game on our hands!

The developers are aware of this and a patch is being tested which will resolve or at least improve the controls when using the controller.

Check here for details (patch notes are on page 3) = http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24176-SEE-POST-27-INSIDE!-PATCH-INFO-HERE

spartanmike1978
13-05-2015, 05:41
Thisisbleep, I'm aware the developers are working on a patch I'm just curious as to what the target for this games controls are? Gran turismo like? Forza like? Shift like? Right now it's near impossible to play with a controller, there are the top handling cars in the world, and with full assist on for newcomers, I feel it should really be more accessible, forza like. Assists turned off, full hardcore sim, this would strike a balance and make the game more appealing to a wider audience. Really interested to see what direction they take the controls post patch.

thisisbleep
13-05-2015, 05:46
Thisisbleep, I'm aware the developers are working on a patch I'm just curious as to what the target for this games controls are? Gran turismo like? Forza like? Shift like? Right now it's near impossible to play with a controller, there are the top handling cars in the world, and with full assist on for newcomers, I feel it should really be more accessible, forza like. Assists turned off, full hardcore sim, this would strike a balance and make the game more appealing to a wider audience. Really interested to see what direction they take the controls post patch.

The issue is that the left analogue stick is not fully used for most/all people, so changing that to work for the whole range of movement will make it a lot easier to control and less twitchy.

The PC version handles well with an Xbox 360 controller, so it should reach that standard for the Xbox One version after the update.

spartanmike1978
13-05-2015, 05:55
Thisisbleep, thanks for the response, when you say the p's version handles fine, can you be more specific? Is the less sliding, is cornering easier? Is the powerbrake useful? In which ways specifically does the game handle better? That would give me a better idea of what to expect post patch, and something to help me convince my friends who want to get rid of the game to hold on till the patch rolls out

RubberDave
13-05-2015, 06:40
In reference to the feeling of speed, I know Forza used an effect akin to the dolly zoom scene in Jaws, only slightly more subtle, to enhance the feeling of speed(can't seem to share it on my phone but you can search for it on youtube). I haven't had long enough with PCars to know if it is used in this too, but it is very effective!

thisisbleep
13-05-2015, 07:34
Thisisbleep, thanks for the response, when you say the p's version handles fine, can you be more specific? Is the less sliding, is cornering easier? Is the powerbrake useful? In which ways specifically does the game handle better? That would give me a better idea of what to expect post patch, and something to help me convince my friends who want to get rid of the game to hold on till the patch rolls out

Turning is more controlled on the PC version with the Xbox 360 controller, it can still be difficult to fine tune your direction, but that is a common problem with controllers over using a wheel.

When driving the two community events (Catalunya and Brands Hatch, which just ended) on PC and Xbox One there was a noticeable difference in control. The PC is still on the default controller settings and the Xbox One has the 0 deadzone settings to counter the issues with the controller. It will never be perfect, there will always be some downsides to using a controller over a wheel, but it should get a lot better.

One thing that I have not tried is to use the Xbox One controller on the PC version, if I have time I will try that tonight.

HBK
13-05-2015, 07:38
In reference to the feeling of speed, I know Forza used an effect akin to the dolly zoom scene in Jaws, only slightly more subtle, to enhance the feeling of speed(can't seem to share it on my phone but you can search for it on youtube). I haven't had long enough with PCars to know if it is used in this too, but it is very effective!
Somewhat similar settings are available in the advanced visual settings. If I'm not mistaken they are disabled by default.

I didn't check these settings to see what they actually do, but going by the way they are named they should produce the kind of effect you are looking for.

Edit :

It will never be perfect, there will always be some downsides to using a controller over a wheel, but it should get a lot better.
With a few tweaks (based on the default setting "3") the game is definitely playable with the X1 controller. Especially if you put your pride aside (for now ;)) and activate "car assists" (TCS, ESP and ABS). It's even a tad more forgiving than FM5 without any assist (bar the absence of rewind).

Psychomatrix
13-05-2015, 08:57
I personally think both are awesome games and comparison is difficult. Because each game follow it's own philosophy. Forza has awesome textures and carmodels but everthing in brighter colours and more contrast. In pc are the tracks much more realistic beside the racing line. Pc have much more detailed suspension-and gforce simulation. So weight became a much more important factor. Tires seem better simulated in forza. In project cars i often don't know how the grip status of the tires are. I combination with the sensitive steering its realy hard sometimes to handle exiting slow corners or fast corners too. I play with x1 controller on the x1.

wraithsrike
13-05-2015, 17:15
Not read all this thread so just going to answer the original question.

Ive been a day one fan/player of T10 and now playground and I can honestly say in term of graphics project cars is simply in a different class.

The graphics in this game, well put it this way that department alone should be awarded, no seriously we're not talking baked here guys but we are talking all bells and whistles.

That's before you even think about the full blown weather effects.

How does project car's compare with forza in terms of graphics it doesn't forza is not in same league so unfair to compare, maybe when T10 up there game a little you might be able too but at the moment, no lol.

Shiningpath76
13-05-2015, 18:55
Game is just as good as Forza 5. But the tracks, the Lotus 98T, weather and time of day make it a far better game. I am sorry but this is the new benchmark in racing games turn 10 and codemasters have to get there act together.

Patrik Marek
13-05-2015, 19:01
you can still find situations where pCARS looks funky, but overal I think it's definitely the new standard

only game that might be better is DriveClub , however driveclub "suffers" from not being a PC title. It looks great on screenshots, but when you are actuall driving, it's somewhat limited, if it was on PC, I would say it's better

but all these are solid games and they have their audiences. it's so great we can chose between so many

the stig.
13-05-2015, 22:09
So it's safe to say I won't be disappointed coming from an Xbox 360 and Forza 4, when I pick up my copy and the new x1 tomorrow.

spartanmike1978
14-05-2015, 00:17
The stig, no you will not be disappointed, project cars on Xbox one looks miles better than anything on Xbox 360!!!

o Mike V o
14-05-2015, 00:40
From someone with 1000+ hours into Forza 5, Pcars feels and looks much better.

Mr Akina
14-05-2015, 01:30
So it's safe to say I won't be disappointed coming from an Xbox 360 and Forza 4, when I pick up my copy and the new x1 tomorrow.

I'm playing in 720p mode and it's still looks ok, but with possibly a higher frame rate than the 900p setting. It's a bit FM4 looking - but it's definitely more playable now.

Patrik Marek
14-05-2015, 04:19
I'm playing in 720p mode and it's still looks ok, but with possibly a higher frame rate than the 900p setting. It's a bit FM4 looking - but it's definitely more playable now.

really cool that there is option to change resolution I think

E46_Z3RO
14-05-2015, 05:33
Let me preface this with the fact that I have been playing FM since FM2. FM3 was a huge let down, but by the time FM4 came around the magic was gone. Fast forward to FM5, at first I was really impressed with the physics model, audio and graphics. But after playing the game for so long you start to notice things.

FM5 has a level of polish that is expected for a first party studio, which is something Project Cars could not match. Nor was I expecting it to. Now without a doubt this game has FM beat in the sim department. But I am disappointed that the game launched in the condition that it is currently in. They have laid the ground work for something truely special, hopefully they can bring it together to create the sim I have been waiting for.

Shiningpath76
14-05-2015, 22:28
You wont be disappointed with this game and you might as well pick up Forza 5 its cheap and a great game. The Lotus E21 is to die for in Forza 5 and since you play forza 4 if you log on to forza motorsports website they will give you free credits towards the game to buy the f1 car. 202548

Psychomatrix
15-05-2015, 00:17
FM 5 is one and a half year old and it was a start title on xbox one. I bet forza 6 will be much better than forza 5. E3 next month will show us more. By the way i love both games and i will hope pc cars will be running stabilize with the upcoming patches.

Mrbrown33
15-05-2015, 00:54
Forza 5 killed it for me. I brought the game only to be buying all the same stuff over again and what had been brought in the past 3 or 4 previous games. Biggest money grabbers going. I will never buy another forza again. This game however, has came with plenty of cars and tracks and over all a much better game by far.

Rockefelluh
15-05-2015, 00:56
FM 5 is one and a half year old and it was a start title on xbox one. I bet forza 6 will be much better than forza 5. E3 next month will show us more. By the way i love both games and i will hope pc cars will be running stabilize with the upcoming patches.

Forza 6 should look stunning.

I think fm5 and pcars look fairly similar as far as graphics, both awesome.