PDA

View Full Version : My concern for this game's longevity

DozUK
11-05-2015, 08:19
Hi, first of all I love this game. The handling model and physics are fantastic as are the wealth of options, this game almost has everything right. Unfortunately the one area where it falls down on is a long term game breaker for me. Leaderboards.

I've broken the issues into three main concerns of mine. The first is quite clearly a bug, so I'm happy that this will be addressed in the short term but the other two are not there by design which worries my slightly.

1) Community events, as documented elsewhere time sunk into these events are not always rewarded with a time updated on the leaderboard. I put a number of hours into this over the weekend (Monza, Spainish GP and Brands Hatch event) producing plenty of clean laps. Only one updated with my best time (Brands Hatch). This was on Saturday evening but when I returned to the game on Sunday and pressed the 'find me' button I was informed that I had no registered time on the leaderboard (Despite being slower times than I previously had registered). As mentioned, this is clearly a bug so I'm sure will be resolved shortly.

2) It concerns me that by design I cannot have my best time registered per car on a particular track. The current time trial leaderboards on the PS4 will only store the fastest time on that track regardless of car. A big part of my enjoyment of this type of game is taking a car and sinking hours into tweaking and pushing every last once out of it in order to achieve my fastest time with that particular car. The hours put into this will go unrewarded and wiped as soon as I do this with a faster car in the same class (As it will take precedence on the leaderboards), which makes me not want to do it.

3) A little bit tied into the 2nd option but as a whole the lack of a friends leaderboard. I have a group of friends who (As mentioned in point 2) sink hours into taking a car and optimising it between us. If point 2 was remedied at some point and allowed best times per car on a track, we should be able to measure this performance and hours put into it by filtering for friends to add that competitive nature.

The last two points are staples really in any good racing game so I'm really confused why they're not in the game by design but I really hope do at some point.

I mentioned above that it's a game breaker for me and it really is. I can wait for now, but long term this is where I get my fun out of this type of game. Most of time that I put into this type of game is to get test myself and my friends out on the track and if these times and performance isn't recorded then I have nothing to play for.

I completely understand that Driveclub is a totally different game, it's not a sim and is more arcade at heart but it has these leaderboard features as standard and as a result is fun to play and compete against. What I was really looking forward to was re-creating this fun in a serious simulation environment which Project Cars brings. I really love this game, I just hope my points are brought in at some point as without them I think I'm going to struggle to continue to play. In the short term I can play career etc, but for this game to keep me interested it really needs to reward time put in by recording progress.

Pablo2008jedi
11-05-2015, 08:31
All valid points and concerns I have. Really surprised there is no "Friends" option on the leaderboards. But the should at the very least be leaderboards for each car and track.

I'm hoping the first point is a but, but I noticed my time wasn't updated instantly, I had recorded a time on an event on Saturday and beat it on Sunday, but the time hadn't updated, I was very annoyed as I spent a lot of time trying to better myself only to find that the time wasn't updated, but 30 mins, or so, the new time did appear.

hkraft300
11-05-2015, 08:37
1) Community events, as documented elsewhere time sunk into these events are not always rewarded with a time updated on the leaderboard. I put a number of hours into this over the weekend (Monza, Spainish GP and Brands Hatch event) producing plenty of clean laps. Only one updated with my best time (Brands Hatch). This was on Saturday evening but when I returned to the game on Sunday and pressed the 'find me' button I was informed that I had no registered time on the leaderboard (Despite being slower times than I previously had registered). As mentioned, this is clearly a bug so I'm sure will be resolved shortly.

2) It concerns me that by design I cannot have my best time registered per car on a particular track. The current time trial leaderboards on the PS4 will only store the fastest time on that track regardless of car. A big part of my enjoyment of this type of game is taking a car and sinking hours into tweaking and pushing every last once out of it in order to achieve my fastest time with that particular car. The hours put into this will go unrewarded and wiped as soon as I do this with a faster car in the same class (As it will take precedence on the leaderboards), which makes me not want to do it.

Having the same issue as (1) my time trial and community event times not registering. what's up with that? are there particular conditions to be met for the time to be recognised on the leaderboard?

(2) I reckon this should be thrown up on the suggestions thread mate :) definitely good to know what cars are being run.

DozUK
11-05-2015, 09:28
Having the same issue as (1) my time trial and community event times not registering. what's up with that? are there particular conditions to be met for the time to be recognised on the leaderboard?

(2) I reckon this should be thrown up on the suggestions thread mate :) definitely good to know what cars are being run.

I've just looked on the suggestions thread and it's already there in sorts. The most worrying thing though was the following reply from a WMD member:

>>>>>I'm sorry, but the only means to compare yourself with others is using the fastest cars (I know it sounds stupid, but that's what it is) and in the hosted events.

Not at all what I wanted to read, the game may as well just have one car per class. All the development time and effort gone into crafting the slower cars in a class has been wasted as far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to sink time into mastering a car if all my progress is lost as soon as I set a time with a faster car in the same class.

I'm very disappointed to read that, this game has such potential but looks like falling at smallest of hurdles

Siberian Tiger
11-05-2015, 09:33
Hi, first of all I love this game. The handling model and physics are fantastic as are the wealth of options, this game almost has everything right. Unfortunately the one area where it falls down on is a long term game breaker for me. Leaderboards.

I've broken the issues into three main concerns of mine. The first is quite clearly a bug, so I'm happy that this will be addressed in the short term but the other two are not there by design which worries my slightly.

3) A little bit tied into the 2nd option but as a whole the lack of a friends leaderboard. I have a group of friends who (As mentioned in point 2) sink hours into taking a car and optimising it between us. If point 2 was remedied at some point and allowed best times per car on a track, we should be able to measure this performance and hours put into it by filtering for friends to add that competitive nature.

The last two points are staples really in any good racing game so I'm really confused why they're not in the game by design but I really hope do at some point.

I mentioned above that it's a game breaker for me and it really is. I can wait for now, but long term this is where I get my fun out of this type of game. Most of time that I put into this type of game is to get test myself and my friends out on the track and if these times and performance isn't recorded then I have nothing to play for.

I completely understand that Driveclub is a totally different game, it's not a sim and is more arcade at heart but it has these leaderboard features as standard and as a result is fun to play and compete against. What I was really looking forward to was re-creating this fun in a serious simulation environment which Project Cars brings. I really love this game, I just hope my points are brought in at some point as without them I think I'm going to struggle to continue to play. In the short term I can play career etc, but for this game to keep me interested it really needs to reward time put in by recording progress.

1. Yes, there seems to be a Bug with the Uploading of Learderboard times on PS4 -> The Dev's are looking into it.
2. i can understand that, really hopefully they can Change that how the Leaderboards work.
3. This is afaik allready on the List for Improvements.

I know that there are sertain limitations on Console how Leaderboards can be send/Received but i doesn't know any Details...