PDA

View Full Version : A Question on Grip

NegSpec13
11-05-2015, 10:01
Hi guys

I was wondering if someone can answer my fairly noobish question.

I'm currently driving the Mustang Boss in career and finding a bit slidey.

How would I go about improving the grip?

Sankyo
11-05-2015, 10:08
This car is probably understeery by default (if that's what you mean with 'slidey'). Softening the front suspension will help a bit.

If the rear end steps out all the time when on the throttle, try to be more gentle on the throttle, or lower the rear anti-roll bar stiffness. Not sure if the car has an acceleration differential that you can change, if yes then raise the acc diff value to make it less power-oversteery.

GRD 4 3L
11-05-2015, 19:38
Hi guys

That question opens up a lot of more questions. "SLIDEY" in general? "SLIDEY" in braking? "SLIDEY" in acceleration? "SLIDEY" in corner entry/exit?

TO ME, when I find a car feels slidey it is usually due to the suspension being too stiff or dialed heavily towards "fast response". The suspension needs to be dialed back toward "grip". Generally speaking I use the simple rule for springs, arb, bump dampers:

Softer = More grip (to a point) + slower response. Too soft will make the car plough.
Stiffer = Less grip + faster response (to a point). Too stiff will make the car "slidey".

Should use about 80% of the front ride height to brake hard then turn in.

MULTIVITZ
04-06-2015, 10:14
I have a tight setup for the Boss on here!. And some advice on ARB adjustment in a thread I'm in. Balancing the letf over spring N/mm clicks with slow rebound works to get precise control over weight transfere over the axle. Its a mathmatical relationship that is used for understanding the theory of suspension physics. The game represents physics well unlike other games that just give you slider bars. I was involved with development consultation of some games tuning apps last year all good fun. You can dial the bounce using the bound settings once rebound has been astablished. This allows confident control of the sprung ride to give a starting point some find impossible to find. But there's no hard and fast rules, just have fun. If you need extra help just ask someone? Hope this helps, maybe redo that bit of carreer?

Marrrfooo
04-06-2015, 10:25
Hi guys

It is quite tail-happy by default due to the amount of torque it carries. Most of the suggestions here are pretty solid I think.

It's handling characteristics are somewhat complicated by the fact it's a laterally mounted engine - meaning that under revving, rather than rotate the car in the opposite direction of the torque of the crankshaft (usually clockwise, as you sit in the car looking forward) it actually has the capacity to make the front of the car lift slightly. This means that the car will rotate laterally under the crankshaft torque and slightly back/upwards due to the laterally-mounted engine torque. It means the inside wheel can lift off the ground even on a level circuit under extreme throttle/acceleration (Vin Diesel/Dominic Toretto) would approve)!! Careful over the crests of hills as adding throttle at the wrong time can cause some very difficult to collect air when the car returns to earth (as she'll potentially pitch and roll on you if there's enough air).

anothergameworthspit
20-06-2015, 07:54
the handling, period! in this game is dreadful, you can spend the next few days configuring car set ups and in the end youll realize you wasted all that time and still end up with a car that handles like a bucket of wheat. the games great graphics wise, handling physics are shite!

hkraft300
20-06-2015, 09:12
the handling, period! in this game is dreadful, you can spend the next few days configuring car set ups and in the end youll realize you wasted all that time and still end up with a car that handles like a bucket of wheat. the games great graphics wise, handling physics are shite!

Just because you can't drive doesn't mean the physics are off.
Some cars are supposed to handle shit eg classic touring cars vs modern GT3...
Well not that they handle shit, they just take patience and a little more TLC.

GamingCanuck
20-06-2015, 12:27

Ha, the racing cars all handle fairly well. I'd ask you to explain the issue and why so people can help but it's clear you're just here to talk nonsense.

Roger Prynne
20-06-2015, 12:34
Don't waste your time as he's been Banned.

Outlier
20-06-2015, 16:08
I agree w GRD 4 EL. If I go too tight on suspension I find the tires slide more. I've found the same w too little neg camber.