PDA

View Full Version : Impossible to see the cars beside you!

Beagle Five
11-05-2015, 10:17
Well, struggling with the hypersensetive control, but just managed to set my first pole and the win! Yeeey!

But one of the biggest problem now is that looking left and right dont look far enough!
There is a huuuge gap in the viewing area! Making all cars directly next to you or slightly behind you invisible!!
Impossible too have any sort of close racing without hitting them!

Please correct this in some way!
Or if there is some setting I have missed?

chris4652009
11-05-2015, 10:25
+1 I'm having this issue too. I use cockpit view and Bonnet cam sometimes.

Beagle Five
11-05-2015, 11:04
Yeah I am driving 80-90% bonnet cam, I should add.

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 11:05
I think we'll add a pit to car notification along the lines of 'car left, car right etc.

chris4652009
11-05-2015, 11:16
I think we'll add a pit to car notification along the lines of 'car left, car right etc.

Just adding a blindspot indicator (like other games have) would work.

Beagle Five
11-05-2015, 11:20
Sounds good! Thanks!

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 11:24
Just adding a blindspot indicator (like other games have) would work.

I honestly don't like those arrows at the bottom of the screen. I think it detracts from where you should be focusing.

BazzaLB
11-05-2015, 11:28
What about virtual side mirrors? Not sure how spotter helps. Does he tell you when its no longer "car left" or does he keep repeating "car left" until there isn't one anymore?

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 11:30
What about virtual side mirrors? Not sure how spotter helps. Does he tell you when its no longer "car left" or does he keep repeating "car left" until there isn't one anymore?

Well, as we haven't done it yet I don't know yet. As usual you guys can give us input until it's as the majority like it.

Raven403
11-05-2015, 11:32
I honestly don't like those arrows at the bottom of the screen. I think it detracts from where you should be focusing.

I agree it takes away from immersion. If you did add some spotter input it would be just as helpful. I also race mostly bonnet cam sometimes in-car depending on car. Also can I say more Pit to Car info would be much appreciated, like damage, as of now there is no way to know how much damage you have from minor contact with other cars ( I play on PC and will on X1 when it releases tonight) If the Pit could tell me whether my car would suffer from it it would be much appreciated. Thanks to the telemetry app on your website I was able to deduce where damage and things came from but it would be nice to be able to get that info IN race, and especially because that telemetry app will be no help to console racers.

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 11:33

We can't add additional render targets without an additional processing hit.

Raven403
11-05-2015, 11:36

Well, in the past when a spotter in game would call cars he would say "Car Left", then when no longer there an "All Clear" They had that in games all the way back on PS2 in Nascar games it worked just fine. The F1 games had the arrows which worked great too but it took you out of the experience in my opinion.

Max Kelly
11-05-2015, 11:37
the audio is only in English, I disabled it (engineer) and many other Italians, because it can distract

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 11:39
the audio is only in English, I disabled it (engineer) and many other Italians, because it can distract

I can imagine a texted 'car left, car right' at the bottom would be a bit sub optimal :)

I do though think if it's only 3-4 phrases even the most linguistically challenged will catch on.

Scav3nger
11-05-2015, 11:42
Blind spots are a factor in all forms of driving though? Not just racing.

Raven403
11-05-2015, 11:44

Agreed. TBH I havent had too many instances of not knowing a car is around me. Between the rear view mirror and the track map I have a good idea of where a car is in relation to me. Im just trying to provide quality input lol.

Beagle Five
11-05-2015, 11:46
If the look left/right just looked more, as if one was looking over the shoulder, that would be enough for visual confirmation.
You dont really have the time to look, but at least you could take a quick peek on the straights.
But a voice varning would be great together with that!

Beagle Five
11-05-2015, 11:48

Absolutely! Just a little to big here I think.

Raven403
11-05-2015, 11:51
This thread is giving me flashbacks to NASCAR games, 'Car High......Still there........still there.........still there.......still there.......All Clear' Hows the Stig's Southern Accent??

chris4652009
11-05-2015, 11:52
Absolutely! Just a little to big here I think.

Yep, I have no problem flicking left or right to see if anyone is alongside, it's just that in this game you can't see enough either side

SpeedFreakDTM
11-05-2015, 11:52
I use the chase cam, and I would like to be able to instantly see what on the left of my car.

As it works at the moment for chase cam, if I move the view thumbstick to the left, my camera pans left, and shows me the left of my car. (not what is on my left)
When I click left or right on the view stick, I only want an instant view of whats on that side of me, I dont need to see my car. I also dont want the camera panning around. I need a split second look to either side.

Left and right, should be as instant as looking back.
Please no arrows on the bottom of the screen. Thats a codemasters mistake.

ThreeAngryOwls
11-05-2015, 11:58
Well, as we haven't done it yet I don't know yet. As usual you guys can give us input until it's as the majority like it.

Personally the way I think would work best is for the spotter to notify you when a car is alongside, so for example:

'Car Left' or 'Car Right'

The spotter could then notify you again after, say 5 seconds, if he's still there or alternatively, when it's clear. In addition, providing a visual aid on screen much alike the flags could be helpful.

So a situation could be something like:

'Car Left'
-5 seconds later-
'Still on your left'
'All Clear'

My opinion anyway. :)

BazzaLB
11-05-2015, 12:05

Ah yeah, sorry, I kind of forgot the constraint there. Well, maybe spotter is fine with "all clear" then.

Umer Ahmad
11-05-2015, 12:27
I think thats how iRacing does it, works good enough. Also have to consider the center car of a 3-wide pack. Does he hear both calls? Codies style opponent arrow indicators visualy solves this problem for all scenarios nicely. We sjould code up whichever is easier

LPlates
11-05-2015, 12:35

I understand why for pure sim racing you might not like these but it would be nice to give people the option. GT6 perception arrows are small, subtle and the blinking catches your peripheral vision without needing to take your attention.

You already have the option for racing line and turn indicators which are great options for people that want them. These aren't very "sim" either, so I see this fitting in to the same "assist" category as those.

Daurel
11-05-2015, 12:37
Spotter calls would be pretty nifty.

Something like:

"Left/Right side closing for overtake" 5sec
"Left/Right side closing on you fast, hold line / caution" 5sec
"Left/Right clear"

Same could apply to you if you are tucked in next to a driver (Multiplayer especially).

Ramiboo
11-05-2015, 12:37
I'm sure we don't want to keep swearing in these forums, but iRacing does the whole "3 wide" comment, and if you are 3 wide then you'll know where the other cars are, as you'll probably only able to fit 3 cars wide on most tracks!! I did a Clio Cup season the other day and I'm not sure any spotter could keep up with that crazy hornets nest!! ;)

Bigsteviet
11-05-2015, 12:40
Dear Lord, please not more radio chatter! As it is, it already comes when you're concentrating in the bends.

IRW, even Lewis Hamilton told his engineer not to talk to him in the busy stuff a couple of races ago!

Just make the side view more rear facing - problem solved...

(I'd also like the option to rotate the right stick completely, including rear view - it feels very weird to look, say, right, keep rotating and end up looking at the roof!)

chris4652009
11-05-2015, 12:40
I did a Clio Cup season the other day and I'm not sure any spotter could keep up with that crazy hornets nest!! ;)

My thoughts too...most of the races i've been in would be nigh on impossible to verbally call out without becoming distracting.
Very interesting to see how this pans out

Daurel
11-05-2015, 12:41
Good point Ramiboo. I suppose its a case of turning your race engineer from giving you good race information to becoming your in car race commentator ;)

Scav3nger
11-05-2015, 12:42
I think thats how iRacing does it, works good enough. Also have to consider the center car of a 3-wide pack. Does he hear both calls? Codies style opponent arrow indicators visualy solves this problem for all scenarios nicely. We sjould code up whichever is easier

IIRC he just calls that "You're in the middle".

mikeyb1125
11-05-2015, 12:49
I think an over the shoulder view would be better than more radio chatter. Also the engineer would need to be in real time as when you're entering a corner the car that was on your right on the straight, could now be on your left to pass on the inside.

Ma5hEd
11-05-2015, 13:13
What about just showing how many feet the cars behind are? That used to work great online in Forza.

I'm doing fine just checking left or right from cockpit view at the moment though.

FederalHercules
11-05-2015, 14:34
Yep, I have no problem flicking left or right to see if anyone is alongside, it's just that in this game you can't see enough either side

I don't think this helps wheel users much though. I plan on trying to map some button to look left or right but I would welcome the option where I have a spotter giving me some guidance. Maybe another option is screen edge notification, a subtle highlight to indicate a car is on your immediate left or right (or both).

hillcrest34
11-05-2015, 14:34
+1 for car right and car left. In iracing it is extremely helpful and for a useful addition all you need are these lines

car right
Car left
Still there
3 wide, middle
3 wide left
3 wide right
Clear

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 14:37
+1 for car right and car left. In iracing it is extremely helpful and for a useful addition all you need are these lines

car right
Car left
Still there
3 wide, middle
3 wide left
3 wide right
Clear

There is the design doc team.

Apoc112
11-05-2015, 15:25
This certainly isn't unique to this game... what about something similar to hit-indicators used in FPS games that would subtly highlight the edge of your screen (or in a HUD location of your choosing) when a car was beside you?

justonce68
11-05-2015, 15:45
look left and right!

BrotherRogue
11-05-2015, 16:02
The best solutions are usually the simplest...

just increase the amount you can turn your head in helmet and cockpit cam

The outside view 3rd person chase cam can swivel a full 360 degrees, bonnet and roof cam should both do this...

please dont be adding things that are telling me where cars are.... thats full on Forza style, aaaaand I for one dont like it

-1 for car left car right idea

If there was an indicator telling me a car was left or right....... I'd still look, you would STILL have to if you wanted to reduce crashing, something telling a car is there just wouldnt be enough, to add to the point, EVERY car in the world has blind spots, even if you look through the rear window, the rear view, the wing mirror and do a good old life saver look back, the saying
"sorry mate I didnt see you" should be ever present in PCars

PerFixAlot
11-05-2015, 16:08

just increase the amount you can turn your head

I would be quite surprised if that isn't possible

It is possible with TrackIR and similar head tracking devices, but I find it very disorienting to do this frequently and more than 20-30 degrees to either side.
Maybe I will get used to it, but I think a little assistance from audio would go a long way to help people get started with watching out for opponents.

BrotherRogue
11-05-2015, 16:25
Edit : deleted last post, too many holes

whatever you add, just give me the option to turn it off, whatever it may be

chris4652009
12-05-2015, 08:10
I turned the FOV up to 90, it increases the coverage of the side to side look...there is still a small blindspot, however if you turn FOV up any more it starts to fisheye.

Acksios
12-05-2015, 10:23
I can imagine a texted 'car left, car right' at the bottom would be a bit sub optimal :)

I do though think if it's only 3-4 phrases even the most linguistically challenged will catch on.

Totally agree!!

Beagle Five
12-05-2015, 11:42
I turned the FOV up to 90, it increases the coverage of the side to side look...there is still a small blindspot, however if you turn FOV up any more it starts to fisheye.

Yeah I think I turned my FOV up the other day to get more feel of speed. But yeah, it easily can be to much fisheye instead.

dvc
15-05-2015, 15:41
Car left, Inside, Three wide, All clear... :D Cant wait for spotter to be implemented.

phoenix8000
15-05-2015, 15:46
how about a set of side views available in the HUD option - there are more than enough spare "dots" and surely cant be any more complicated that a rear view mirror

totlxtc
15-05-2015, 15:47
Car left, Inside, Three wide, All clear... :D Cant wait for spotter to be implemented.

Spotter! We are not in NASCAR/Indycar here (Well yet). Spotters are not needed in circuit racing. Use your awareness and you will be fine.

woodski
15-05-2015, 16:16
Spotter! We are not in NASCAR/Indycar here (Well yet). Spotters are not needed in circuit racing. Use your awareness and you will be fine.

Spotters are used in many forms of circuit racing.

Also, y'all saying for more head rotation...have you ever been in a racecar with your belts tight and a HANS device on? You can't turn your head much.

jsykes
15-05-2015, 16:41
Spotters are used in many forms of circuit racing.

Also, y'all saying for more head rotation...have you ever been in a racecar with your belts tight and a HANS device on? You can't turn your head much.

No, but you have many more (or better coverage) with your mirrors.

flatspunout
15-05-2015, 17:27
Would replacing the virtual rear-view with a virtual side-view mirror even out the processing requirements? Either/or, not both on at the same time I mean. I can't stand the arrows and more chatter is distracting. I'd like to see the look left/right command be snap-to (like look back) as opposed to a slow, casual head turn. When I look at the passenger side mirror in my street car it's just a flick of the eyes and takes a fraction of a second, I don't slowly turn my head to the right and then slowly turn back. Thanks for listening to our suggestions, loving the game!

ocat1979
15-05-2015, 22:37
The spotter is definatley needed. To the guys saying to use your awareness, that's just silly, we are looking at a 2d image with no way of using our peripheral vision as IRL. Also when we drive a real car, your eyes can move independently to your head, you can quickly glance at your mirrors without moving your head one bit. Simulators can only go so far to immerse you, and we do need help with little things like this to make it a much more enjoyable experience. Just YouTube some Iracing videos and you'll see a lot of the top drivers use it

babaluk
15-05-2015, 22:44
I agree that the bonnet cam or cockpit cam is not panning back enough. It should not "pan" at all. It should just look right or left and show a decent field of view.

A bigger problem is with the chase cam left/right look. When you look right the camera pans left. WHen you look left the camera pans right. Useless. Just "look" in the proper direction with no pan. Just like look "back". Look "back" works fine.

Beagle Five
15-05-2015, 23:34
Had a big moment yesterday because of this problem again, had a car close to me, but still behind me, then I messed up a corner a little bit and the guy disapeared ( however thats spelled ) and I looked behind and to the side but figured he mist have braked and be one of the cars further back, then next couple of turns and BAM!!! He was right next to me all along, and I looked all over several times really searching for him!
Surround sound should have helped you would think but no.

Well just a little bit more headturning would have been enough, but in the incar view, the seats are so big so wouldnt see anything anyway, so a little voice varning would be good, but what is most realistic?!
Can somebody get a racecar driver in here?! :) how much do the see?!

Mr Akina
15-05-2015, 23:52
Can somebody get a racecar driver in here?! :) how much do the see?!

I'm not a racing driver, but I've driven a few race cars (GT not Single Seater). Depending on your choice of position, (cockpit view for me) you do see fractionally more than in game - but on the whole, I've found it very realistic. Mirrors, like the ones in game are generally useless, so the engine noise from the chasing car should help - but that seems a problem with the game at the moment. Unless you're in NASCAR, you don't get a spotter telling you as you'd need a guy out on every corner. I'm against a spotter in game - unless it's for the Ovals, where it's a necessity. Arrows indicating a car's position would be the most logical - but I don't expect any of these being implemented.

The AI you hit was doing everything a normal racer would do. You made a mistake and he did his best to pass you. If you can't see a competitor in your mirrors or by looking left or right, you just need to assume he's on your rear-quarter and drive accordingly. This is why you bump into them and they turn into you - there are blind spots and there are definitely more blind spots with a race car.

Beagle Five
16-05-2015, 01:01
I'm not a racing driver, but I've driven a few race cars (GT not Single Seater). Depending on your choice of position, (cockpit view for me) you do see fractionally more than in game - but on the whole, I've found it very realistic. Mirrors, like the ones in game are generally useless, so the engine noise from the chasing car should help - but that seems a problem with the game at the moment. Unless you're in NASCAR, you don't get a spotter telling you as you'd need a guy out on every corner. I'm against a spotter in game - unless it's for the Ovals, where it's a necessity. Arrows indicating a car's position would be the most logical - but I don't expect any of these being implemented.

The AI you hit was doing everything a normal racer would do. You made a mistake and he did his best to pass you. If you can't see a competitor in your mirrors or by looking left or right, you just need to assume he's on your rear-quarter and drive accordingly. This is why you bump into them and they turn into you - there are blind spots and there are definitely more blind spots with a race car.

Well then maybe we should leave the game as it is, if its realistic.

I dont think he hit me, I think I messed up the corner again :) it is rather tricky to drive this thing right now :)

TMoney
16-05-2015, 01:15
I vote OPTIONAL car spotting from the pit engineer (separate from pit engineer). We'll really have to try it out to see how we like it though. I say optional because some may enjoy the pit engineer but have TrackIR, Rift, or triples and really don't need the extra awareness. So all that extra spotting could become rather annoying if you can see the car yourself.

I think it could be great for added awareness for most users but I could see it getting rather annoying/repetitive if not executed perfectly. Would really have to be done just right to be enjoyable I think. On that note hopefully we can look forward to some improvements on the pit2car radio. Would be great to hear more specifics and technical details rather that just "generic" messages.

Damoratis
16-05-2015, 01:20
I think we'll add a pit to car notification along the lines of 'car left, car right etc. Adding a spotter to the game is the main thing I really want I'm glad you guys plan on doing this.

VuDuBu
16-05-2015, 01:38
There is a mod for Assetto Corsa called "Helicorsa", which in my opinion solves this 'problem' quite nicely.
It basicly adds a little top-down radar which helps a lot for situational awareness. Might be something to look in to?
Altough I'm absolutely fine with an optional spotter:D

CPU M Rossi
16-05-2015, 01:39

just increase the amount you can turn your head in helmet and cockpit cam

The outside view 3rd person chase cam can swivel a full 360 degrees, bonnet and roof cam should both do this...

please dont be adding things that are telling me where cars are.... thats full on Forza style, aaaaand I for one dont like it

-1 for car left car right idea

If there was an indicator telling me a car was left or right....... I'd still look, you would STILL have to if you wanted to reduce crashing, something telling a car is there just wouldnt be enough, to add to the point, EVERY car in the world has blind spots, even if you look through the rear window, the rear view, the wing mirror and do a good old life saver look back, the saying
"sorry mate I didnt see you" should be ever present in PCars

Forza style? Forza doesn't have a spotter & in Forza 5 didn't even have how far people were behind you.
so how would adding a spotter be Forza style?

Mr Akina
16-05-2015, 10:02
Another thing that's already in the game and will instantly tell you if a car is along side.. A quick glance at the split time to the driver behind will tell you everything you need to know.

As mentioned, this wasn't in Forza 5, so be grateful it's in pCARS :)

Beagle Five
16-05-2015, 10:23
Another thing that's already in the game and will instantly tell you if a car is along side.. A quick glance at the split time to the driver behind will tell you everything you need to know.

As mentioned, this wasn't in Forza 5, so be grateful it's in pCARS :)

You got that right!!! Supertip!

Beagle Five
18-05-2015, 00:34
Well it turns out you CAN see if you have a cars beside/behind you!
When looking back you can also look around! Its tricky since you have to let go of the left stick and look with left thumb.
But I will change look behind to LB, Then I can look around with my right thumb!

There you go! :)

creepyd
18-05-2015, 08:00
I would like this on the PC version too - Arrows would be nice.

In real life it's much easier to 'feel' where cars are, you can really quickly glance at mirrors and stuff.
This is all impossible in a sim - so please give us the option of arrows.

Look left/right is much too slow and doesn't look enough.
Mirrors are terribly small on the screen - again in real life not a problem due to much higher resolution than any monitor.

I'm really struggling with online racing due to this really.
You'd get much better actual racing if everyone knew where the opponents were.
As it stands, it's just causing frustration.

menaceuk
18-05-2015, 08:01
I just want to be able to adjust my mirrors.

LPlates
18-05-2015, 12:35
Well it turns out you CAN see if you have a cars beside/behind you!
When looking back you can also look around! Its tricky since you have to let go of the left stick and look with left thumb.
But I will change look behind to LB, Then I can look around with my right thumb!

There you go! :)
There isn't a right stick on a wheel.... and you can't use the pad while using a wheel.

dwaynetheBLADE
18-05-2015, 12:52
As a proud mixed race wheel user I too would like to vote for an optional arrow system like in Grid Autosport, personally the idea of a spotter sound like it would A: be annoying at times and B: not quick enough when people dive down the inside etc

Beagle Five
18-05-2015, 13:03
There isn't a right stick on a wheel.... and you can't use the pad while using a wheel.

Aha... I only thought of the little pad users, sry!

D3nny0122
18-05-2015, 13:40

I like that idea a lot!

Initia1 B
18-05-2015, 21:00

Too true, you a truck driver too? We got a whole collection of em'

Scav3nger
19-05-2015, 01:32
Too true, you a truck driver too? We got a whole collection of em'

Nope, barely a regular car driver. Too many idiots on the roads and not enough eyes to watch what they're all doing.

dustyjo
19-05-2015, 03:46
I think having little arrows only on the sides of the screen would be alright, similar to how GT6 does it.

I would only really want a spotter on an oval track. Having it on the huge road courses currently in the game would be completely unrealistic.

justonce68
19-05-2015, 13:36
You have a look left and right function, you also have the car engine noise of any nearby vehicle, you also have a time to vehicle behind and in front. I have never driven a car sat on a bonnet or a bumper so how would you expect to see cars beside you?
Everyone wants a real to life Sim but then drives in bumper or bonnet (arcade) view and complains that they cant see vehicles beside them. Situational awareness is all that's required.

Beamin
19-05-2015, 13:41
You have a look left and right function, you also have the car engine noise of any nearby vehicle, you also have a time to vehicle behind and in front. I have never driven a car sat on a bonnet or a bumper so how would you expect to see cars beside you?
Everyone wants a real to life Sim but then drives in bumper or bonnet (arcade) view and complains that they cant see vehicles beside them. Situational awareness is all that's required.

What you are failing to realize is that in real life, we have peripheral vision and the ability to pan our vision very quickly and without much penalty to our main focus.

This doesn't bother me, really, and I don't consider it a flaw of the game. It's just you have this attitude like the guy is completely wrong and he's not.

Niveous21
19-05-2015, 14:49

This would be outstanding...a spotter to go along with the race engineer would be brilliant.

Outlier
19-05-2015, 15:01

I don't understand what you are saying. The OP is stating that the look left and look right don't look far enough left and right. But you are saying everyone wants a real to life Sim. In real life we can looks left and right and we can turn our head further around if needed. (or if seats and/or helmets restrict us we can use side mirrors and listen to spotters) I think the OP is simply asking for some way to improve situational awareness. This could be a better look left and look right view, or it could be spotters , or arrows, or even some virtual mirrors when you look left and right.

Spitfire77
19-05-2015, 18:39

Hi Ian.. what about a single large convex mirror simulated? This is a common mirror used in racing which gives a very wide view almost up to side by side. - (found an image online showing http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-cfg83-albums-mirrors-picture1768-rear-view-mirror.jpg) Some people don't like them vs the wink style rear view mirrors due to they make things appear much further than they are, but you can easily get used to it. - Obviously the wink style would require more CPU as with the additional virtual side mirrors, which is why I do not suggest it.

Otherwise the virtual rear view mirror is nice to have, and I am very happy it was programmed on. But in all honesty it is rather small - if you could allow us to adjust the size a least? or maybe have it follow the FOV adjustment?

Edit - To handle the lack of resources on the consoles - when the mirror size increases, do not change the resolution. Sure it would get pixelated when set very large, but the user would be able to find a sweet spot.

For slower racers like myself - knowing where people are behind you is a big help - so more mirror options would be a plus.

Schooner
19-05-2015, 18:43
Agreed with having a slightly larger virtual mirror with wider or user setable FOV.

mx5fornow
19-05-2015, 20:13

thank you thank you thank you!

Mr Akina
19-05-2015, 20:25

As long as we can switch that part of the engineer off. Some people bought this because we like it as a Sim.

ashasha
19-05-2015, 21:21
I have blind spot indicators on my car. It's just a yellow dot in the mirror that lights up when someone is over there.

So how about putting two little dots in the rearview mirror; one on the left, one on the right and when someone is in your "blind spot" it can light up to like a light green and as they pull up beside you it turns a bright yellow (I don't think that red would standout well. Make it a user selectable option so those that hate it can disable it.

Beagle Five
19-05-2015, 21:34

Well I have full surround sound home cinema with a sharp xv21000 projector thats about as good setup you can have, but cant hear or see the cars beside/behind me, and thats why I started this thread. In real life you dont have to turn your head very much since we have such a wide vision, but ingame you cant even look straight left or right. That creates a very large blind spot.
And I drive actually mostly with the inside view and its the same problem.
But sure, I drive a lot of gocart, in real life, and its very hard knowing if someone is behind you or trying to pass you because you dont see behind you at all and dont have time to look around all the time.

H00NIGAN
20-05-2015, 00:45
More pit to car interaction would be nice!

Mr Akina
20-05-2015, 11:50
I'd like to see this with a VR headset like Oculus Rift, Project Morpheus or whatever the Xbox version is? Chuckle Vision?

I wonder if this will eliminate the problem?

justonce68
20-05-2015, 15:41
Congrats on your set-up.... I hear close by cars fine on my s~@tty Samsung and turtle beaches.

RobIzYoDaddy
20-05-2015, 15:52
With no usable side mirrors and the side to side "looks" showing nothing I have had way too much contact due to my "turning in" then is acceptable in a "SIM". OK for a video game where bumper cars are the norm, but a Sim is about virtual representation of a actual racing experience. I carry a licenses in SCCA, and have been licensed in IMSA ans USAC. This SIM is not simulating perfectly but it is pretty dang fun and needs some tweeking to get there.

xxBENxx
20-05-2015, 15:53

How about a little Orange flashing indicator (Something similar to this >>) :emptiness: that would appear on the left or the right of the screen and would flash until its all clear. (Make it part of the hud)

Fanapryde
20-05-2015, 16:02
How about a little Orange flashing indicator (Something similar to this >>) :emptiness: that would appear on the left or the right of the screen and would flash until its all clear. (Make it part of the hud)This, or a little arrow...
Pleaso no more comments from the engineer (who does not do a very nice job either).
Now I do understand Kimi Raikkonen's comment a few years ago: "leave me alone... I know what I'm doing !"

Beltoon
21-05-2015, 12:21
Great to see that SMS is working on this. The "spotter" they use in iRacing should work perfect for PCars.

Huambo81a
21-05-2015, 14:37
I like the iRacing solution.

"Car left . . . . . Clear left"

Works well

Silversn95
21-05-2015, 15:57
I have blind spot indicators on my car. It's just a yellow dot in the mirror that lights up when someone is over there.

So how about putting two little dots in the rearview mirror; one on the left, one on the right and when someone is in your "blind spot" it can light up to like a light green and as they pull up beside you it turns a bright yellow (I don't think that red would standout well. Make it a user selectable option so those that hate it can disable it.

This has my vote along with more prominent opponent car sound as they come along side you. I find the opponent car sound washes out in the noise from my own engine most of the time.
I do not want more chatter coming from pit lane, would rather avoid this if at all possible.

Beagle Five
22-05-2015, 01:16
Congrats on your set-up.... I hear close by cars fine on my s~@tty Samsung and turtle beaches.

Well I did extra little test just for you today and my own car is very loud and almost drowns other cars, and the others are more like a beehive all over, had cars right next to me without hearing them and even when right behind them with there exhaust in my face all I hear is just a lot of cars all over the place. If it was only one car I might hear it, but these dont seem to make much sound, the ginetta g40.

And I tried the "look at the timer to the one behind"-trick, but the little red text is just to small and hard to process when racing with 100% concentration to not go of, with the controller.

And my own trick, looking behind and then looking left/right, its basically impossible during the heat of battle.

So, we need that spotter or a totally free camera to look as we want.

Ryzza5
23-05-2015, 08:10
It's a good tip (in racing and normal RL driving) to spend every free moment refreshing your mental radar (or helicorsa), then when your focus changes to nailing the next apex, you can use that awareness + a little bit of educated guessing as to where they will go. i.e. (if I was him I'd dive up the inside, or I'd hang outside then go for the criss-cross, or I'd hang back and wait for the next opportunity). A lot of this depends heavily on how defensive you drive and where you place your car on the track. Otherwise a quick glance at the minimap will help with determining if someone is on your tail.

With all that said I'd go with audio spotter clues as a first additional preference, followed by a radar display. Both optional.

siemens123
30-05-2015, 23:34
a spotter is defo needed in this game ... for the ones that dont want it , the devs can make an option to disable it. this way everybody will be happy.

SpeedLimitUnknown
31-05-2015, 02:11
I think the easiest fix for now is to simply allow more angle to the view left/right buttons to simulate real life peripheral vision. The in-car cockpit only moves 90 degrees each way and bonnet/roof moves 60. Make all views 120 degrees on each side and add a slider which controls how fast the view moves to max angle.

An additional volume slider for other engine noise would help too. Not as realistic but I still want to hear the AI cars when they're around me.

titanic tony
31-05-2015, 10:10
if u cant race side by side your doing something rong
random multiplayer sessions where you don't no the people 9x out of 10 someones going to be in the barrier
that doesn't mater what u do to put in the game u will get the same outcome
it takes one of them to back of and that would fix it
but this is console racing so that's hardly going to happen in public rooms { unless there using mics }

pk500
01-06-2015, 00:44
Spotter only. Ian is right: No arrows or blind spot indicators. This is a racing sim, not a street car game.

pk500
01-06-2015, 00:47
Also realize it's almost impossible for drivers in major open-wheel formulas and NASCAR stock cars to see much more than 90 degrees each way in their periphery.

Drivers in both of those types of cars wear HANS devices, which limit neck rotation.

Open-wheel cars, such as F1 and IndyCar, have extremely high cockpit sides to prevent the driver's head. The cockpits also are surrounded with impact-absorbing foam that nearly form-fits around the driver's helmet, preventing much head rotation.

Stock cars now have carbon-fiber flaps that wrap around the driver's helmet area, preventing excessive side-to-side movement of the head in crashes. That limits visibility, too.

FMS TopSecret
01-06-2015, 03:31
if u cant race side by side your doing something rong
random multiplayer sessions where you don't no the people 9x out of 10 someones going to be in the barrier
that doesn't mater what u do to put in the game u will get the same outcome
it takes one of them to back of and that would fix it
but this is console racing so that's hardly going to happen in public rooms { unless there using mics }

its not your fault if you can't race side by side, racing next to someone when using a controller is different to using a wheel as a wheel gives you much control of the car allowing you to be smoother and hold your line if your say two wide on a corner. but for all controller users you get used to a line for every single corner that you do every lap on every track, so when forced of that line being two wide unless you have the experience or the skill in that particular situation something is guaranteed to go wrong as a controller is limited for a users car control. doesn't matter whether its randoms or friends.this game is still new and people are still finding their touch, especially since the controller update just came and the old patch meant you couldn't do those small corrections with a pad. a spotter would be beneficial for beginners whether this game is a sim or not.

Fanapryde
01-06-2015, 05:26
Also realize it's almost impossible for drivers in major open-wheel formulas and NASCAR stock cars to see much more than 90 degrees each way in their periphery.

Drivers in both of those types of cars wear HANS devices, which limit neck rotation.

Open-wheel cars, such as F1 and IndyCar, have extremely high cockpit sides to prevent the driver's head. The cockpits also are surrounded with impact-absorbing foam that nearly form-fits around the driver's helmet, preventing much head rotation.

Stock cars now have carbon-fiber flaps that wrap around the driver's helmet area, preventing excessive side-to-side movement of the head in crashes. That limits visibility, too.
That may be true, but these drivers have mirrors they can actually see.
Unless you have a triple screen it is impossible to see the side mirrors in cockpit view.
So yes, small indicators would be welcome.
Spotter... No... most real life racing classes don't have them either.

pk500
01-06-2015, 14:05
That may be true, but these drivers have mirrors they can actually see.
Unless you have a triple screen it is impossible to see the side mirrors in cockpit view.
So yes, small indicators would be welcome.
Spotter... No... most real life racing classes don't have them either.

Change your FOV in the Visual settings.

Fanapryde
01-06-2015, 14:34
Change your FOV in the Visual settings.oh, I tried that. I left wheel and pilot out, and when changing FOV I either sit in the back of the car (then I can see the mirrors, but the roadview is bad) or I am too close tot the windshield, can only see part of the car's hud.
With my actual setting (forgot for a moment what they are) I am sitting in the car like irl, BUT in most cars I can see only a small part of the left mirror or totally no mirror, let alone the right one.
As I said, a triple screen setup would be great, but since I'm on PS4...

Little indicators would be great for me, spotters may be great for someone else, at least, SMS should give us a choice.
If you don't like indicators and rather have your spotter shout at you the whole time, great, but I prefer the indicators.
I watched a video of GSTE a few days ago. The spotter was yelling STAY HIGH, STAY HIGH, STAY LOW STAY LOW.... It was not even on an oval....

Vlhare
05-06-2015, 15:11
Do you know what takes you off the simulation? starting 100 races and, in 90 of them , don't reach to first corner without 20 or more crashes!!
SPOTTER NOW!, ridiculous!!,
Copy others, just go check other (and way better) sim car games out there, and make a dam spotter!.
let google do the work, don't be original, jus DO IT! this game was so expensive to get this awful online experience!.
Just some positive criticism here..... you're welcome.

beetes_juice
05-06-2015, 15:38
Do you know what takes you off the simulation? starting 100 races and, in 90 of them , don't reach to first corner without 20 or more crashes!!
Copy others, just go check other (and way better) sim car games out there, and make a dam spotter!.
let google do the work, don't be original, jus DO IT! this game was so expensive to get this awful online experience!.

No yelling

MysterG
05-06-2015, 15:45

Epic first post.
Make your 2nd one BETTER!
No arguments, DO IT!

We do positive criticism slightly differently to what you must be used to. ;)

HTH. You're welcome.

Mr Akina
05-06-2015, 15:48

Learn to be more aware of your competitors. There's my positive criticism. :) A spotter won't help you avoid someone using you as a brake.

Beltoon
23-07-2015, 11:05

Any update on this? When using a steering wheel it's impossible to check if there is a car next to me.

Dan77 DESTROYER
23-07-2015, 11:28
Any update on this? When using a steering wheel it's impossible to check if there is a car next to me.

Was just about to say the same, got smashed out of a race last night for this reason, be good when something is implemented to make it easier to avoid contact when side by side

Fanapryde
23-07-2015, 11:36
I mapped two buttons on my wheel to look left and right when in cockpit view.
Works for me...

Dan77 DESTROYER
23-07-2015, 11:42
I mapped two buttons on my wheel to look left and right when in cockpit view.
Works for me...

What functions did you lose as a result of mapping those buttons?

Fanapryde
23-07-2015, 11:55
What functions did you lose as a result of mapping those buttons?

None at all, since I am using a BT keyboard. Every possible control is mapped now.
I use the DPad for looking left, right, even up and down (though I don't use these two).
Not that a keyboard is very practical to use when racing, but being able to move your seat while in game is pretty nice.

Dan77 DESTROYER
23-07-2015, 11:58
None at all, since I am using a BT keyboard. Every possible control is mapped now.
I use the DPad for looking left, right, even up and down (though I don't use these two).
Not that a keyboard is very practical to use when racing, but being able to move your seat while in game is pretty nice.

It will be good when we've got full functionality of the buttons on the xbone

Fractured Life
23-07-2015, 12:08
Left and right don't show enough, agreed. So what I ended up doing is setting look behind to back on right analogue, look left and right are still left and right on analogue so when I look back I can edge left or right to get the view of whats just behind to the left or right. Massively helped me to avoid crashing into AI (although they just drive off track and rarely suffer when I try to 'convince' them not to try and take me on the outside by running them a little wide!) which means I'm less often driving like a d!ck playing catchup :)

Beltoon
23-07-2015, 12:18
Left and right don't show enough, agreed. So what I ended up doing is setting look behind to back on right analogue, look left and right are still left and right on analogue so when I look back I can edge left or right to get the view of whats just behind to the left or right. Massively helped me to avoid crashing into AI (although they just drive off track and rarely suffer when I try to 'convince' them not to try and take me on the outside by running them a little wide!) which means I'm less often driving like a d!ck playing catchup :)

That is indeed an option when you're racing with a controller, although it's only possible when you have enough time and not when you're in a corner. When using a wheel we don't have an analogue stick, nor do we have any buttons free to map the look left & right. I hope we're getting this spotter soon.

d4ninho
23-07-2015, 12:19
the game cannot have peripheral vision like we do in real life, no game can, you would need a 3 screen setup for this to work.

you cant really be flicking buttons to look left and right when approaching corners it just wouldn't happen, pick your line and drive it, if they go past you then its your turn to harass them and they cant see either,lol

Beltoon
23-07-2015, 13:25
Indeed, that's why we need a spotter. I really hope this isn't one of the things they tease us with to keep us happy but will eventually release in pCARS 2.

OverHaased
23-07-2015, 13:56
The look back should be super wide angle that shows a quarter panel on a car beside you. My real life track car has a panoramic rear view mirror that completely erases any blind spot my side view mirrors miss. Since we do not have functional side view mirrors in hood/roof or bumper cam the "Pano" rear view mirror would solve everything.

beetes_juice
23-07-2015, 14:38
nor do we have any buttons free to map the look left & right.

I've found that if not in a DRS/KERS car mapping look left to Y and look right to B works fine on the wheel.

Beltoon
23-07-2015, 14:53
Which means changing the button mapping everytime when I change car. That is a ridiculous solution. What about cars with KERS or DRS?

beetes_juice
23-07-2015, 15:00
Which means changing the button mapping everytime when I change car. That is a ridiculous solution. What about cars with KERS or DRS?

Dk I tend to not switch up FA and gt3 cars to often so I don't see the problem and find this to be an easy solution.

Also, I know its a pain and I wish xbox allowed more button mapping but I mean how long does it seriously take to switch the two buttons...25-35 seconds?

g33k hack3rs
23-07-2015, 16:10
I hope this is not going to end up with a spotter. I get the intend but a spotter on a road track just seems to far fetched for a sim racing game. Where will the spotter be at LeMans? You might need 10 or 15 different spotters on the longer tracks to really be able to give feedback regarding your position. An easy way to implement Look Left/Look Right on the wheel and controller should be the first focus. Ideally this will just briefly show the side mirror and side window in the cockpit or the 45deg angle to the side of the car from any outside view so you can identify any other drivers in your immediate vicinity.

Fanapryde
23-07-2015, 16:18
I surely don't want a spotter, but small flashing arrows on both sides of the screen, warning you that a car is Next to you, would add a nice touch.
But I think there is allready a topic about that...

Plato99
23-07-2015, 16:20

No no no, not like Grid Autosport !! Aaaarrgghhhh !!!!! :)

Beltoon
23-07-2015, 16:22
It might not be the most realistic solution but don't forget that our view is quite limited. If we we're all pro we wouldn't be racing on our computer. I think it's a great solution to make the races cleaner. The ability to switch this feature off ensures the game stays the same for you.

I have no idea how they will be able to implement a way to control your view while racing with a wheel. If possible it's another way to solve the problem.

Fanapryde
23-07-2015, 16:27
No no no, not like Grid Autosport !! Aaaarrgghhhh !!!!! :)It could be a small flashing light then...:D

What I mean is that a spotter will be far more distracting and totally unreal.
How about a few hundred spotters around the Nurnburgring ??

I saw a video of GSCE, where the spotter was always yelling: STAY HIGH, STAY HIGH ..... STAY LOW STAY LOW.
It was at Spa Francorchamps !!!

LPlates
23-07-2015, 16:31
As said above, the game doesn't simulate our human peripheral vision so having some kind of indicator seems necessary to me. Something subtle that doesn't take your focus away from the main view but just gives an indication of someone close by.

In GT6 the little flashing indicators are very subtle and change from red to yellow to white to show the distance. For me this is like parking sensors and works very well to provide a bit of peripheral info.

Redslayer
23-07-2015, 18:35
There is a mod for Assetto Corsa called "Helicorsa", which in my opinion solves this 'problem' quite nicely.
It basicly adds a little top-down radar which helps a lot for situational awareness. Might be something to look in to?
Altough I'm absolutely fine with an optional spotter:D

I just made a thread earlier suggesting this. I am 100% behind the top down radar idea. I think all games should have it until VR is as common as controllers.

Both my truck (F350 w/ 35 foot trailer, often with a 10-11 foot wide boat on it) and my car (95 eclipse) have 0 blind spots on the sides. This is due to proper mirror set up, and the fact that I can move my eyes around. In neither vehicle do I need to rotate my head to see someone at my left rear quarter panel. and with both, for the right side, I only need to turn my head far enough to be able to see the mirrors.

Racecars are a bit different, but the left mirror is still more usable in real life than it is in game. Optional hud assist are nice. The whole "it's a sim" argument flew out the window the moment "racing line" was added to the game.

Beltoon
25-07-2015, 13:07
The whole "it's a sim" argument flew out the window the moment "racing line" was added to the game.

Haha good one! It's a shame there is something like a racing line... It has a bad influence on the race. People who use it don't focus on the track but simply on the line. They brake on strange moments and don't have the same overview as people who are racing without the line.

redriot
26-07-2015, 06:23
I surely don't want a spotter, but small flashing arrows on both sides of the screen, warning you that a car is Next to you, would add a nice touch.
But I think there is allready a topic about that...

That would be a perfect solution! Maybe the arrows could change color to show how close is the other car beside you: changing from green to red as it's getting closer. Of course this indicator should be optional, and must be possible to turn it off in the help options menu for those who find it "arcadeish", but I would gladly use it.

I don't find it a realism-destroyer. I think it's the opposite! You couldn't have real-like peripheral vision without a 3 monitor setup and I don't think it's a cheat to simulate peripheral sense. OK, you can move your view with the right thumbstick, but is it more realistic than indicator arrows? Do you have to use a little joystick to turn your head when you drive your real car? So I don't have problems with some little warning signs when a car enters your peripheral vision area around your car. It would make racing safer and cleaner in a not-unrealistic way.

Onikami
03-08-2015, 13:38
Been wondering what would be best in this issue too. Maybe add like a proximity indicator at the middle of the screen just like those fps/espionage games where the more near the enemy is the brighter the indicator gets?

Gambit74
20-10-2015, 18:23

This is what I want as well. You should be able to see the back quarter of your own car, this way you'll see what brushes you and what pulls out from behind.

This link, it is quite easy to see yellow of the corvette being driven.
http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Tommy-Milner-C7.R-Helmet-Cam-720x340.jpg

Roger Prynne
20-10-2015, 18:33
I know it's not the same thing but Crew Chief (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?38922-Crew-Chief-an-alternative-race-engineer-for-PC-users) has helped me no end with knowing what's beside me. (PC only)

Fractured Life
20-10-2015, 20:00
I got around this pretty early on pad, I have look left and look right inverted on the right analogue, and down is look behind, so I just pull down and left or right to see what's behind on that side. Works a charm. Apologies that it's f#@k all use to the wheel boys!

TAAT GUNA
21-10-2015, 23:17
Well, struggling with the hypersensetive control, but just managed to set my first pole and the win! Yeeey!

But one of the biggest problem now is that looking left and right dont look far enough!
There is a huuuge gap in the viewing area! Making all cars directly next to you or slightly behind you invisible!!
Impossible too have any sort of close racing without hitting them!

Please correct this in some way!
Or if there is some setting I have missed?

Go to settings, camera and try 100 % or higher and that should fix it...try diferent values until you like..but with 110 you can see you side mirrores perfectly.

TAAT GUNA
21-10-2015, 23:21
Another thing,you can add an extra rear mirror to your car like in PC games, for me that im using controler i just press left 2 times on Dpad...another thing to avoid cars on right or left (to devs) is to fix the game chat and we can talk to each other...Sorry lol

SUBGTRACER
22-10-2015, 00:36

+ 1 for this

Schnizz58
22-10-2015, 01:25
I just want to be able to see them.

SUBGTRACER
22-10-2015, 01:33
I have found the solution to the mirror problem

SMS can you add this please

odemode
22-10-2015, 06:21

Any update?

Gambit74
22-10-2015, 07:46

I just want to be able to see them.

I suspect menaceuk is using 3 screens like me.

madmax2069
22-10-2015, 08:45
I suspect menaceuk is using 3 screens like me.

His platform shows xbox, on consoles tripple screen isn't supported at all in this game.

donpost
22-10-2015, 09:15
I know it's not the same thing but Crew Chief (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?38922-Crew-Chief-an-alternative-race-engineer-for-PC-users) has helped me no end with knowing what's beside me. (PC only)

That Crew Chief app spotter is fantastic, if SMS could just assimilate that into the game it would be perfect. All the work has been done for them!

KkDrummer
22-10-2015, 09:29
That Crew Chief app spotter is fantastic, if SMS could just assimilate that into the game it would be perfect. All the work has been done for them!

Crew Chief's developer has confirmed he will work on a version for consoles. It will be a PC app that will pull data from Xbox Live...

tonypbeck
22-10-2015, 09:47
The spotter app for the PC does just this, it tells you car left, car right etc.

You can also ask it questions like, how's my aero, how's my fuel, how are my tyres, and it will tell you. Not sure if this is possible for consoles though.

KkDrummer
22-10-2015, 10:08
The spotter app for the PC does just this, it tells you car left, car right etc.

You can also ask it questions like, how's my aero, how's my fuel, how are my tyres, and it will tell you. Not sure if this is possible for consoles though.

If the app runs on the PC, Voice Commands should work...the recognition is done by the pc, not the console. Unless an app is developed for the Xbox One, which could use kinnect...

Raven403
22-10-2015, 11:13
That Crew Chief app is miles ahead of what the game shipped with, and Im actually still really suprised by how little information the Standard Engineer gives you, considering they marketed that aspect quite a bit, hes borderline useless as a Crew Chief

Akra
22-10-2015, 11:30
The standard engineer is a bit...special.

"Your times are a bit erratic?" No they aren't....the last 5 were within 2 tenths!

"Your pace is slowing!" By half a tenth!?

"Your now 10th, pick up the pace" Yeah well I just pitted, come on, lets see how the stops shake out?

Why does he not tell me about stuff that should be happening? Leader pitting? Championship rival pitting? Is rain due? Is it going to dry out?

He's not an engineer - he's a cheerleader right now. He comments on things you've done, rather than helping you plan ahead.

Beltoon
22-10-2015, 11:46
+ 1 for this

This was 5 months ago, do you really think they will implement this in this pCARS? Sounds like a lot of work, maybe they can sell it as DLC.

KkDrummer
22-10-2015, 11:55
This was 5 months ago, do you really think they will implement this in this pCARS? Sounds like a lot of work, maybe they can sell it as DLC.

not PCars1, but as it's been said before an app could be coming our way soon. Second thought...maybe not even PCars 2 will offer this type of crew communication...it may be just too much for consoles too handle in terms of processing power...

Raven403
22-10-2015, 12:03
not PCars1, but as it's been said before an app could be coming our way soon. Second thought...maybe not even PCars 2 will offer this type of crew communication...it may be just too much for consoles too handle in terms of processing power...

I dont think it's too much. Their optimizing the Tire physics to use less power and with the DX12 sdk it'll probably be even better. It really doesn't take much more than what the Engineer is doing now, he's just ssying different things

KkDrummer
22-10-2015, 13:28
I dont think it's too much. Their optimizing the Tire physics to use less power and with the DX12 sdk it'll probably be even better. It really doesn't take much more than what the Engineer is doing now, he's just ssying different things

I would prefer SMS to use up ram memory and processing power to ensure the game runs 60fps at all times then focusing on the engineer, specially if there is a third app that can do it...

Akra
26-10-2015, 12:37
Moved onto Multi-Class racing now and finding the engineer even worse.

"Pick up the pace, we need to catch the cars in front" - I'm leading P2 and pulling away.

He even said "It's due to rain in 30 minutes"...as it begun to rain right that second. So that was a bit useless.

One good thing he did say was to make up time in the Porsche Curves. Track specific message! That was nice.

Chiraq
26-10-2015, 14:32
Moved onto Multi-Class racing now and finding the engineer even worse.

"Pick up the pace, we need to catch the cars in front" - I'm leading P2 and pulling away.

He even said "It's due to rain in 30 minutes"...as it begun to rain right that second. So that was a bit useless.

One good thing he did say was to make up time in the Porsche Curves. Track specific message! That was nice.

Yes man the engineer is really useless. I think he only has specific messages on Le Mans. I wish he'd tell us where to push harder and stuff, like in which sector we lose time or something more car specific but no, nothing. I guess Imma turn him off

Raven403
26-10-2015, 15:37
Yes man the engineer is really useless. I think he only has specific messages on Le Mans. I wish he'd tell us where to push harder and stuff, like in which sector we lose time or something more car specific but no, nothing. I guess Imma turn him off

Agreed he's next to useless. Its a shame really. The PC only MOD available is so much more useful and I really hope the feature is improved for Pcars2

Akra
26-10-2015, 15:41
I recently moved from PC Gaming to the X1 and now really enjoy sitting with my wife on games like Assassins Creed and Dragon Age. However this game is pushing me back towards PC Gaming, as they have it much better than the Xbox users. Custom cars and mods would drastically improve this game. So much so that I'm considering converting my PC into a Steam Box and buying pCARs on the PC and getting a Steam Pad to play with it.

Blunt RS
26-10-2015, 15:49
Regarding spotters car on your left etc. That's one thing I think ruins realism, I thinks its the mirrors that need adjusting so the cars appear sooner.

TKMSte66
26-10-2015, 20:17
I assume this has been suggested but i'll do it anyway.

How about just increasing the look angle to 90 Degress??????? Problem solved. Last time a checked I was easily capable of moveing my head 90 degrees to the side. Hey in karting I actually look behind. The spotter idea is stupid in anything other than ovals.. and lets face it, it will probably be bugged.

The fact this is still an issue is rediculous. It should never have even been an issue in the first place.

Not against arrows either.

Raven403
27-10-2015, 11:15
tbh I dont have an issue telling where cars are next to me. I either know theyre there, or look at timing/scoring gap and see that they must be there. It hasnt been an issue for me just being a bit more cautious when i know/think a car is there. It'd be NICE to have a spotter say so, like in the PC crew chief mod, but its not a game breaker

and honestly if there was a spotter and it didnt tell you a car was there for whatever reason, and you crash, people will be in here starting threads saying "SPOTTER RUINED MY RACE!!" So its probably best to establish practices on ones own

TKMSte66
27-10-2015, 23:01
Oh jesus christ! Just increase the loo kangle. It's so bloody simple. It's that bloody simple people are coming up with STUPID solutuions.

Fanapryde
27-10-2015, 23:08
Oh jesus christ! Just increase the loo kangle. It's so bloody simple. It's that bloody simple people are coming up with STUPID solutuions.
Talking about stupid "solutions" here is one.
Never heard about a correct field of view I guess...

SUBGTRACER
28-10-2015, 04:04
Solution VR

Pfalzdriver
12-11-2015, 08:31

I'd like to bring this topic up again. Will or wont this feature be added?

Right now I'm using Crew Chief V3, which is kind of helpful. But I'm more a visual guy, because I have some problems with my hearing, and thatz why I luv the Helicorsa-App in AC. I really dont need the "full radar mode" of Helicorsa, imho it would be enough if you have a big red dot on the left/right side, if a car is beside you.

To adress the ppl writing about realism in this case, PCars has a full onscreen hud with map, SIL, etc. etc., which can all be turned off. So noone is forced to see a minimap, a SIL, etc. etc. And personally I prefer the cockpit view, but I'd still like to know if a car is beside me. So plz give us this feature.

Edit: Didnt realise this thread was in the XBox-Section, mea culpa. I'm a PC-user. :)

Beltoon
12-11-2015, 10:39
Edit: Didnt realise this thread was in the XBox-Section, mea culpa. I'm a PC-user. :)

People on Xbox have the same problem but a lot less buttons to deal with it. People with a controller can use the right stick to look around. People who have a racing wheel, like me, don't have that opportunity. All we can do is check our mirrors, leave some room when needed and pray for the best.

We got a response in this topic a couple months back, saying that SMS wanted to do something about it. Haven't heard anything about it anymore so I guess we have to wait for pCARS 2 for this feature because money.

inthebagbud
12-11-2015, 12:37
People on Xbox have the same problem but a lot less buttons to deal with it. People with a controller can use the right stick to look around. People who have a racing wheel, like me, don't have that opportunity. All we can do is check our mirrors, leave some room when needed and pray for the best.

and after all that if all else fails hope the other racer had less balls than you and gives way :)

mr_belowski
12-11-2015, 21:17
Tim's been able to have a quick test of Crew Chief on the consoles - looking promising :)

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?40113-IN-PROGRESS-Companion-app-UDP-streaming&p=1169547&viewfull=1#post1169547

STEELJOCKEY
12-11-2015, 21:38
Woohoo, come on patch 7!!!!

KkDrummer
12-11-2015, 21:46
Tim's been able to have a quick test of Crew Chief on the consoles - looking promising :)

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?40113-IN-PROGRESS-Companion-app-UDP-streaming&p=1169547&viewfull=1#post1169547

can we test it now for consoles?

STEELJOCKEY
12-11-2015, 22:04
You can use it now on PC, but the bits needed in pCars to make it work on consoles won't be added until patch 7

andrewz
28-08-2016, 13:19
I bought the game just weeks ago, more than a year after it's initial release, expecting that all essential parts will be tuned to perfection. It's hard to believe that even such basic thing as quick look right and left is not working properly. It is slow even when driving Ford Focus RS and I haven't even driven Formula A. Can we expect fix in future patch please? Can we expect any more patches at all? Looking back when pressing "Look right" and "Look left" buttons simultaneously would be nice too. I believed such things are standard these days...

Ian Bell
28-08-2016, 13:48
I bought the game just weeks ago, more than a year after it's initial release, expecting that all essential parts will be tuned to perfection. It's hard to believe that even such basic thing as quick look right and left is not working properly. It is slow even when driving Ford Focus RS and I haven't even driven Formula A. Can we expect fix in future patch please? Can we expect any more patches at all? Looking back when pressing "Look right" and "Look left" buttons simultaneously would be nice too. I believed such things are standard these days...

You bought the game just weeks ago, after joining in May 2015 and making 78 previous posts about the game before those weeks ago? Just wondering.

You forgot to log in with your alt right? :)

LukeC
29-08-2016, 00:32
You bought the game just weeks ago, after joining in May 2015 and making 78 previous posts about the game before those weeks ago? Just wondering.

His alt bought the game just weeks ago and his alt is very dissapointed.;)

andrewz
29-08-2016, 11:55

No, it's the same "me" as before. I'd buy the game on day one, but I already betatested Windows 10 at that time, so I was busy in this regard... Lot of my feedback was based on gameplay videos, since many issues were visible even without playing the game. Now I'm finally playing it in up-to-date version, but still not very happy with the current development stage and I hope you did not abandon it yet. There is a huge potential in it, but many issues reported months ago (but in fact not fixed yet) ruins it for me (choppy hand movements inside cockpit, shortened and choppy replays, cars teleporting on starting grid, crashing my car inside pits where I cannot control it, HUD placement not getting saved, force-feedback getting weaker during the race, poor particle effects, insane physics when crashing hard, ...).

Bealdor
29-08-2016, 12:06
If you want look left and look right to react quicker, use cockpit cam, not helmet cam.

andrewz
01-09-2016, 12:31
Thanks for your tip, but I cannot use automatic head turning to the turns in this mode. What's worse, I played the game even more and found some more problems.

1) when I restarted the solo race, no countdown appeared and I could not control the car, only go back to menu

2) when I went out of track and touched barriers by side of my car, my car stopped from high speed to zero in a millisecond

3) on the start of the race, sometimes the car is under my control even before the view of my choice is active and before the countdown takes place (on Nordschleife, you start on a hill and your car goes backwards without you doing anything, which results in penalization)

4) it is impossible to see anything on your dashboard without turning lights on (mostly on Audi road cars)

5) sometimes the game starts minimized and no matter what I do (Alt + Tab, running Task Manager and selecting the game from there, clicking taskbar icon, ...), I cannot make the game appear; when I right click it and close from taskbar, it is the only time it appears for few milliseconds