PDA

View Full Version : Terrible User Interface Design

Tebbott
11-05-2015, 11:52
I've been looking forward to this game for what seems like years, and on the night of launch I purchased the digital edition. First off, the gameplay is excellent, everything I wanted from a racing game - but the user interface!!! It looks like you spent years and years developing the cars and maps, and then handed the interface design to a chimp. I literally have to get up from my sofa, and get my face right in front of the screen before I'm able to read parts of the interface.

The main Career screen, where you can view your inbox etc - red text on a pink background?! It's unreadable.

Some of the results screens - the text is such a light grey, and on a light grey background, and the font is like 1px thin! Again, completely unreadable.

The leading of the email text is so squashed up its bearly readable.

I'm genuinely surprised that you've launched the game when there are clearly so many obvious readability issues with the interface.

I've not downloaded a beta build or something have I...or even an alpha build....?! I'm asking because it surprises me that noone else has mentioned this problem.

Rifles
11-05-2015, 12:07
Totally agree, and the navigation of the menu system is appalling I used to be a web designer for a large multi national company and if I had shown this to any of my clients I would have been sacked on the spot.

RogsR35UK
11-05-2015, 12:21
My main issue is when checking out the specification of a car in the garage. It returns to my current car rather than the one I just checked.

Hobbsy
11-05-2015, 13:02
Totally agree, and the navigation of the menu system is appalling I used to be a web designer for a large multi national company and if I had shown this to any of my clients I would have been sacked on the spot.

Personally I'm not that put off by the UI, there are some things it does which bug me a little, Like when browsing through the Full track list (by location) if you go into the circuit choices for a given location then come back the the location list with no selection, it will jump back to the current location instead of continuing from where you were.

a little thing but nothing major.

I can appreciate that some of the screen text, images etc. are extremely small, and as such may look fine on a high res PC screen, but no so good for a low res TV!

So my question to you here Rifles, is what is so bad that would have gotten you the sack? and what would you change, or offer differently? I'm sure if you have some good suggestions, they could be considered for future projects ;) but giving no reason as to why its appalling will just be another forgotten post!

Tebbott
11-05-2015, 13:11
There are a number of user interactions that could be improved upon, for sure, but the main point of this thread is the design of the interface rather than the way it works.

I'm not in front of my PS4 currently, but I'll be sure to update this thread this evening with some images of areas of the interface that could quickly, and very easily, be fixed by a quick patch. Just using a slightly thicker font would be a huge help!

Francorchamps
11-05-2015, 13:29
How it looks is lees important than how it works. My major gripe with the interface is how it works. For example when you finish an event in the calendar the elected button is "abandon season" or when you finish a session the selected button is "exit" instead of "continue". You get steered in a way where you have to do everything over again instead of saving your results. I think how it works is really more important than how it looks.

marvin1959
11-05-2015, 13:29
I think the UI does have some issues ...

But more important (to me as a Thrustmaster 5oo user) is it that I am having troubles using the wheel set.

Since January 1 2014 I have raced with the wheel on my PS3 in the Gran Turismo 6 game.

In that game everything about the setup of the wheel and the pedals is logic (at least to me).

But in Project Cars there are not only a bunch of completely new terms as for setup (on PS4 version) but also I find it difficult to figure out how to get the wheel calibrtated (I don't find the instructions logical) and once it does get done the sceen says that some of the calibrations needs to be done (???) in order to proceed ....

Very annoying !!!

Maybe I should scrap the PS4 verion and buy the PC version? What do you think? Or are you guys also have (some of) the same issues?

BTW: My username is the same on PS3 if you want to play with me on GT6 (on PS3).

I have a lot of videos on Youtube from my GT6 game. And from my karting ...

See http://www.kartingvideos.com

Regards

Marvin Lovenfeldt
(55 years old / from Denmark)

Tebbott
11-05-2015, 13:49
As I said, I appreciate there are ways in which the interface works...poorly - like when you finish a race and by default, the selected option is Restart... why would I want to restart the race if I've just finished it in first - surely the most logical choice to make next would be Continue - but this post is specifically about the poor interface design, rather than poor usability.

I dont want my point to become diluted with other discussions, so if we could keep this post to specifically User Interface Design issues - maybe our discussion will lead to the devs making some changes to the way the interface looks.

Katilla
11-05-2015, 14:20
The game is good, thank you!
but the text / background color choice is really not good! In many cases, illegible! Must be revised!

Revvin
11-05-2015, 14:33
I like the UI, its nice and clean looking and easy to navigate

Rifles
11-05-2015, 14:46
It needs to be made more user friendly, I have been setting some complex (well it was to me) force feedback settings, and in some instances I needed to go back to areas to make adjustments, you can either press R1/R2 to go to a sub menu or L1/R1 to move to a tab and I personally found myself going in the wrong direction and not finding where I was.

In the end I resorted to pen and paper to map the areas I needed to go to, that is in itself not a bad thing, but they need to go through the a scenario and improve the groups of menus and make them more intuitive.

In particularly the area for mapping the buttons, it just looks awful, lowercase letters at the beginning of some words and other times uppercase it just does not look "polished".

onimoD
11-05-2015, 14:53
I like the UI, its nice and clean looking and easy to navigate

I agree. Having played PGR, F1 and Forza on xbox for years, this UI is a pleasant surprise. Good job guys.

nuak
11-05-2015, 15:04
The UI is basically broken on TVs. It's thought for monitors, where the user will sit at 40cm of the screen. When sitting 2m from the screen, it's impossible to read anything. Menu navigation is also broken as well. As some others have noted, many times an unwanted action is selected by default.

This really needs to be fixed.

Revvin
11-05-2015, 15:51
The UI is basically broken on TVs. It's thought for monitors, where the user will sit at 40cm of the screen. When sitting 2m from the screen, it's impossible to read anything. Menu navigation is also broken as well. As some others have noted, many times an unwanted action is selected by default.

I've not experienced any glitches in the UI playing on the PC, XBOX One and PS4 versions over the weekend ,my only issue has been the XBOX Controller steering being erratic which I fixed by taking out the unusually large pre-set dead zone. I find the UI easy to navigate and easy to read whether its on my 24" monitor fitted to my Obutto gaming rig or my 46" TV in my living room.

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 15:56

Are you using a cathode ray tube?

Francorchamps
11-05-2015, 16:14
Are you using a cathode ray tube?

The UI is terrible on modern TV's. I have a Sony Bravia 40" full HD. It's funny you say cathode ray tube because that is what it sometimes looks like. For example when you get a invitation in career it's barely readable because of the poor color choices. Dark grey on fluo pink. Black would have been a much better option than dark grey. It's all over the UI.

There is a huge difference when you get on track, everything is polished, haven't ever seen a game that beautiful on PS4. But when it comes down to the menu interface it's like someone color blind did that job. And I don't mean I don't like the colors used in the UI it's just a bad color choice that makes the text unreadable. Most of the text is also too small for big screens.

Tebbott
11-05-2015, 16:17
Perfect summary of the problems with the UI. As Francorchamps mentions, increasing the font size, maybe using a thicker font, and choosing more suitable colour combinations would fix these problems very quickly.

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 16:58
The UI is terrible on modern TV's. I have a Sony Bravia 40" full HD. It's funny you say cathode ray tube because that is what it sometimes looks like. For example when you get a invitation in career it's barely readable because of the poor color choices. Dark grey on fluo pink. Black would have been a much better option than dark grey. It's all over the UI.

There is a huge difference when you get on track, everything is polished, haven't ever seen a game that beautiful on PS4. But when it comes down to the menu interface it's like someone color blind did that job. And I don't mean I don't like the colors used in the UI it's just a bad color choice that makes the text unreadable. Most of the text is also too small for big screens.

Fair enough :)

I've passed it to the team and they're on it.

e15f
11-05-2015, 17:04
I agree with you mate, I like the UI as well, makes a nice change to the console standard.

Hobbsy
12-05-2015, 12:36
This is what I like to see, criticism or suggestions can both be taken on board if delivered in a constructive manner.

case point above, the developers have noted it and can now look at a solution or suggestions to fix/improve the game, much better approach and feedback than I've seen from other dev's

Well done everyone, keep this up and we can all enjoy the benefits :encouragement:

iv-tecman
12-05-2015, 13:54
Its not the greatest ui granted, but I sort of see the colour scheme they're going for..

The photo mode ui needs to be more controller pad friendly. The mode appears to be designed for mouse control, and the text colours in career mode seem to clash, dark pink on dark background is a bit hard on the eye's.

The car selection screens are confusing folks with liveries. Some didn't even know about the second screen to change liveries in solo races etc... But the ui does work and doesn't stop you getting to where you need to be..

Roger Prynne
12-05-2015, 14:06
Yeah some of the colours are a bit much but everything else looks great on my 50" TV.

justslater002
12-05-2015, 15:44
hmmmmm

lauriehouse
12-05-2015, 16:37
^^^ How is that even a valid reply?

I'm not having any issues with reading anything on my TV. The colors are nice and bright.

IrideGravity
13-05-2015, 23:08
I more concerned with the usability than the look. Can see well enough, but can tell it's definitely not optimized for tvs. They are unintuitive and actually require way to many clicks and input on d pad to navigate. Definitely the same as what works on PC, but doesn't on console. I'd say the odd way in which liveries are selected is the most annoying. Shouldn't be two different locations to select car and then it's paint. And I agree with the rest mentioned.

Beardybrave
13-05-2015, 23:37
Yeah, usability is a big part of interface design, although visual design is also very important to readability and therefore usability.

I was a user interface designer for years, I'd offer help if I thought anyone would hear me. For me it's inconsistency that's the issue. Sometimes square activates an option, in other parts of the interface, triangle does, other parts X. Sometimes the bumpers and triggers shift you sideways from option to option, but then in Events it's the dpad. It's not intuitive, the amount of times I've pressed exit after a 10 lap race, only to lose my progress because I should have chosen continue, despite having finished the event.

It all smacks of well intentioned, but ill informed design choices. SMS likely has some poor soul banging the usability drum in the office. Trouble is, usability takes time, it's now time to listen to that poor sod, lest he walk out, exasperated, and take up photography instead. Like I did. =P

That said, given the choice between this interface and simulation, and say, Grid, with a fantastic interface... I'll take this every time. There may be much to gripe about, but they're the only devs out there aiming their racer squarely at me.
=)

IrideGravity
14-05-2015, 05:10
Yeah, usability is a big part of interface design, although visual design is also very important to readability and therefore usability.

I was a user interface designer for years, I'd offer help if I thought anyone would hear me. For me it's inconsistency that's the issue. Sometimes square activates an option, in other parts of the interface, triangle does, other parts X. Sometimes the bumpers and triggers shift you sideways from option to option, but then in Events it's the dpad. It's not intuitive, the amount of times I've pressed exit after a 10 lap race, only to lose my progress because I should have chosen continue, despite having finished the event.

It all smacks of well intentioned, but ill informed design choices. SMS likely has some poor soul banging the usability drum in the office. Trouble is, usability takes time, it's now time to listen to that poor sod, lest he walk out, exasperated, and take up photography instead. Like I did. =P

That said, given the choice between this interface and simulation, and say, Grid, with a fantastic interface... I'll take this every time. There may be much to gripe about, but they're the only devs out there aiming their racer squarely at me.
=)

This post is quite interesting to me. Usability is so importAnt, odd it would be so ignored, but every game does that. It's like they have a contract with the console manufacturers where they get paid for every extra click on an input device or something. UI almost always sucks and has extra steps that need not be there. Hmmmmmmmn n. Funny story.

NXP3
16-05-2015, 08:36
I've been looking forward to this game for what seems like years, and on the night of launch I purchased the digital edition. First off, the gameplay is excellent, everything I wanted from a racing game - but the user interface!!! It looks like you spent years and years developing the cars and maps, and then handed the interface design to a chimp. I literally have to get up from my sofa, and get my face right in front of the screen before I'm able to read parts of the interface.

The main Career screen, where you can view your inbox etc - red text on a pink background?! It's unreadable.

Some of the results screens - the text is such a light grey, and on a light grey background, and the font is like 1px thin! Again, completely unreadable.

The leading of the email text is so squashed up its bearly readable.

I'm genuinely surprised that you've launched the game when there are clearly so many obvious readability issues with the interface.

I've not downloaded a beta build or something have I...or even an alpha build....?! I'm asking because it surprises me that noone else has mentioned this problem.

Well may I offer some suggestion? You can turn on Accessabilty features of the ps4. I like the zoom option that will magnify anything including the game. Yeah it sucks, I have bad eyes too, that's why I play real close to the TV, developers should be more sensitive to people. A lot of people are partially color blind.

cloakdeath
16-05-2015, 19:32
For balance, I've never had a problem reading the text on my tv (1080).

MULTIVITZ
19-05-2015, 13:21
Yeah some of the colours are a bit much but everything else looks great on my 50" TV.

Hhhhhhhmmm indeed. Where are you sitting? 1 meter from it with sunglasses on whilst being poked in the eye with a baby wipe!!!!! Idiot. My tv and surround are referenced the gamma on this games graphic engine is WRONG. The font is SMALL you need to be sitting at a 24 inch display 1 foot from it, like the developers did, do, done, to think that it is remotely acceptable, try reading your telem at 200mph! Menu buttons are not HIGHLIGHTED. It don't feel 60fps, resolutios is so bad I think I'm still playing night driver on an ATARI!! Truth hurts, but its not all doom and gloom. They say it's community driven, to stop us being shafted is there a managment excuse/reason sticky........anyone?

MULTIVITZ
19-05-2015, 13:40
I see the betas, I see the hd intro, I compare to the forzas, I then start to play the game, whilst sitting forward, looking for my brake markers, looking for menu help, looking for meaningful telemetrey, looking for best lap times, looking for controller setup advice, looking to my expert settings in my plasma tv....... I've got a brain, I've got very good eyesight, I'm an extraordinarily patient man, been driving 30 years, been playing almost every driving game made since the birth of the pixel. I blame the parasites, no joke. If you accept this game as is then you need to ask why, 'cause lots of people are asking WHY oh why have the management not been able to afford NONE retarded staff. Lol. Just sort it out

Ian Bell
19-05-2015, 13:44
I see the betas, I see the hd intro, I compare to the forzas, I then start to play the game, whilst sitting forward, looking for my brake markers, looking for menu help, looking for meaningful telemetrey, looking for best lap times, looking for controller setup advice, looking to my expert settings in my plasma tv....... I've got a brain, I've got very good eyesight, I'm an extraordinarily patient man, been driving 30 years, been playing almost every driving game made since the birth of the pixel. I blame the parasites, no joke. If you accept this game as is then you need to ask why, 'cause lots of people are asking WHY oh why have the management not been able to afford NONE retarded staff. Lol. Just sort it out

You seem to be contributing nicely from your posts so I'll let this slide. But please don't call our staff retarded.

c172fccc
19-05-2015, 13:50
'causes lots of people are asking WHY oh why have the management not been able to afford NONE retarded staff. Lol.

That is completely irrespectful. I would expect better from a full grown man, if you're really one.

Edit: kinda ninja'd

beer_n_frites
19-05-2015, 13:56
I find it impossible to read the email invites that pop up. Also the line height on the email within the inbox isn't big enough. The colour choices are wrong, red and pink, really? Who's idea was that?

I'm also struggling to see any usefulness in the fake twitter stream or the emails in general, what's the purpose they don't provide any real info and after a few races you stop reading them

It would also be handy to have a skip button on invite events and some way of seeing the full championship details e.g. other courses in layer rounds without having to scroll through the calendar.

Roger Prynne
19-05-2015, 15:37
Hhhhhhhmmm indeed. Where are you sitting? 1 meter from it with sunglasses on whilst being poked in the eye with a baby wipe!!!!! Idiot. My tv and surround are referenced the gamma on this games graphic engine is WRONG. The font is SMALL you need to be sitting at a 24 inch display 1 foot from it, like the developers did, do, done, to think that it is remotely acceptable, try reading your telem at 200mph! Menu buttons are not HIGHLIGHTED. It don't feel 60fps, resolutios is so bad I think I'm still playing night driver on an ATARI!! Truth hurts, but its not all doom and gloom. They say it's community driven, to stop us being shafted is there a managment excuse/reason sticky........anyone?
Are you calling me an idiot?... must admit I have been called worse than that... :bi_polo:

And yes I do sit a 1 meter in front of my 50" TV... but admittedly I play on PC and not PS4 so that's all I can comment on at the moment.

MULTIVITZ
21-05-2015, 20:45
Come on, we spent years putting up with Forzas unexpainably small font and its ok on a hd projector, it's ok on a quality PC monitor, but on a large tv sitting at a normal distance! I'm glad staff have taken offence to me, the ones who decide to go small have no consideration for me and the thousands of other people with not so good eye sight. Do something about it, no? The text is probably too inbedded into the data to issue a patch over an astoundingly short sighted small font desision. Make the next one with bigger font PLEASE, you're all forgiven this time because of the lovely experience the gameplay is giving everyone. DON'T DO IT AGAIN!
........Christ alive!!!

Spitfire77
21-05-2015, 22:31
I have had no problems with reading the UI in the menus - but I have a 47" 1080p tv that I sit about 45 inches away from (yes I measured to set my FOV) I can see it pretty well a little further back too - but it is obviously designed more for pc or sitting up close and not for couch console setups. When I have my racing wheel setup I always sit close for that realistic perspective.

Many other games on my ps4 I can't read the settings menus well from my couch and I normally set everything up closer to the TV and then sit on the couch while playing and don't need to read menus.

This is one of those things were for me it works so I do not see a problem (literally) but if it can be improved to help the masses I would support that it go on the "to be discussed" meeting list.

MULTIVITZ
22-05-2015, 09:20
My point is still not getting throught to some. I don't always play on my own. If I have guest around and they want to sit down and just watch the game, it becomes inconvenient. Whoever wants to play either sits forward, or as my bro-inlaw insisted he stands. If someone were to be 1 meter from my screen their fat head would be in the way of other peoples view. I have a sound field and because, by hifi standards my sitting room is short and wide, its been setup by me(in a professional manner) to give seamless surround sound when you're seated. Lean forward too far and its spoilt, some may say they can't tell the difference, but my system is 1.5kw RMS referenced in a 4x3m area! It will play anything at full volume as clear as a bell, I play pC at below third volume. And it sounds magnificent, I knew the sound would be good, but it has the most realistic sound track to ANY driving game of lately.
I'm lost for words again to describe how good and impressive it is! Hitting into the barriers around Nurburgring, we couldn't keep doing it, the sound shock us up, and it weren't at a realistically high volume!! My neighbours would think something had hit the house lol

KK78
22-05-2015, 09:21
Bad UI? You've never played Medal of Honour Warfighter or tried to navigate an Xbox One then? :beguiled:

MULTIVITZ
23-05-2015, 21:35
I have, but Forza was bad enough lol. I'm taking back the poor resolution comment as after turning up the exposure setting in the visual menu in options (I thouht it was for the in game camera errr). All the graphics have come to life and after getting a tacho if feel like a new man lol sad ain't it. Sorry staff. Anyone got got some tyre blankets????

Sevaru
01-06-2015, 18:09
On the Console: In the Controls View, why do I have to press the bumpers to select a column that's already visible on the screen to edit it's contents? I'm referring to the Motion, Vehicle, Assistance, Camera & View, and Game Columns on the page. When in a column, the analog/d-pad buttons are on a snap to grid scheme any ways so I don't get why I couldnt just use the analog or D-pad to move the cursor to the next column area. I'd understand if the columns were actual tabs with their content hidden but in this case the contents are all arleady visible on the page thus removing the need for a tab system to begin with! And why can't we change/tune control settings while out on the race track?

In pitbox I think I can see best splits or other opponent's fastest laps, but after a Multiplayer race concludes I only see their total race time. Give us some useful stats to read while we sit and twiddle our thumbs waiting for the very long 180 second timer to expire. Or let us atleast change the camera to watch the back markers race to the finish. Also, it's annoying when players have a bad race and instead of finishing the race, they park on the track and go afk, then when the leader finishes, eveyone has to wait the full 180 seconds to expire since the system is still techincally waiting on the last cars on the track to finish the race but that will never happen because they parked and went afk.

Also, I think someone mentioned before in another thread...The error dialog box telling you that you have not mapped all mandatory controls doesn't highlight what those controls are...

ImStylinOnYaBro
01-06-2015, 19:58
one thing i dislike is certain options "yes" is the top option and "no" or "cancel is the bottom. yet other things "cancel" is the top option and "yes" is the bottom option.

Buelliful
01-06-2015, 20:08
I have to agree with most of the comments in this thread. I *love* this game but it is let down by some strange UI decisions.
When a race has been successfully completed I don't expect to be given a default EXIT option. Why is it not "Continue"?
The text and background colour presentations are almost completely illegible on my 40" HD TV where I sit around 6ft back on my sofa.
1. Please, I ask of you, please change the colour and thin font of the text information presented in the game.
2. Please set the default option after a race be CONTINUE.
3. The intermediate time panel on the HUD is useless. I nearly always turn it OFF. It doesn't tell me anything I want to know.

Overall, I love the game. I feel that with a few small changes it could be made a bit better for the user.

Cheers,

Alan

lordymatsuo
01-06-2015, 20:30
I find it clunky in places, the main gripe I have is being unable to change some options whilst in game I have to completely back out to the "My Profile > Options" on the home screen just to change some settings i think should be accessible from the pause menu.

Still loving this awesome game :)

sgohsixthree
07-07-2015, 04:09
Want to bump this, especially after trying to use the replay feature to take a picture on the PS4.

You scrub all the way through a 20 minute race (holding the R2 button for a minute and half to the last lap incident), go to clear the UI off the screen, and hit Circle button by accident, automatically backing out to the main 'Highlights" screen. Having to start all over again, just to take a screenshot.

irritating as all hell. Add that in with the stuff people above have mentioned. I hope the effort going in pCars 2 is a massive improvement in User Interface / Usability. It almost certainly will not be addressed in the current iteration.

jimmyb_84
07-07-2015, 10:44
The only real issue I have is reading career mode related content when i play remotely on the Vita, I have to squint (recentely had eyes tested 100%) I sit around 2-3m from my 40" samsung 3D tv and do struggle sometimes a small improvement would be welcomed

Im not sure what control SMS have with the remote play option? I have noticed when I pause a race and go back to it the controls feel sluggish/delayed

Bluedice
13-07-2015, 23:58
Yes! It usually sets the focus on the least desirable option you can have. They should fix that asap, it's madness.