PDA

View Full Version : A question about Karts handing

PeteUplink
11-05-2015, 12:11
I'm having a problem with the handling of the Karts, and I can't figure out if it's the game or me. At Glencairn I'm fine, but Dubai and Chesterfield I'm nowhere. If I let the AI driver drive it looks like it's driving really slowly, yet managing to do good lap times and be faster than the other AI. If I try to drive the same way the other AI cars leave me behind, but if I try to push I just understeer through all the slow corners and they out accelerate me along the straights.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Seems odd that I can drive the Formula A cars with no driver aids just fine, but I can't handle a Kart... :confused:

xX_PHLOX_Xx
11-05-2015, 12:27
I am very new to racing and don't really know what I'm doing but I was experiencing understeer on the karts in my career mode. I set the tire pressure on both front wheels to 65 (from 70). I havent changed any other settings. This helped a lot.
BTW I am playing on Amateur so I'm sure I have lots of other driving aids helping me out as well!!

PeteUplink
11-05-2015, 12:45
Funnily enough I've figured it out. Just after I posted this I went and had another go around the Dubai Kart track and it suddenly clicked as to how I should be approaching the corners. Basically, I was trying to drive them the way I would any other racing car and getting all my braking done before I turn in to the corner and then accelerate through the apex without too much sliding. This, though, just resulted in lots of hideous understeer in the slow corners. What I've found that if I don't brake quite as much, carry a bit more speed in and allow the rear to sort of drift while balancing the throttle, the front end pulls round the corner a lot better and I can drive a lot smoother and faster.

hkraft300
11-05-2015, 14:40
Weight distribution and brake balance adjustments, maybe?

I have to brake before the turn then throttle out - slow in fast out - and get better time with the karts. Can't drift the karts yet - I can catch a slide in a Formula A/B better.

Hellbringer
11-05-2015, 15:09
Pete, it took me some getting used to. I can drive the M1 around the Nordschleife in the rain no problem, but it was almost back to the drawing board with the 8th Tier Karts.

Braking was hard to nail first off, I tried reducing my %, shifting the balance, in the end I just revised my entry and style. Actions on uneven surfaces really do hurt these Karts too!

theredshore
11-05-2015, 15:24
i have raced go karts similar to the first go karting series and no offense but they got the karts very very wrong, go karts by nature are easy to turn, they turn fast, they accelerate fast and they are simply easy to drive, these things have the turning circle of an oil tanker, the Superkarts are pretty good but the other go karts are fairly painful to race

JB5
11-05-2015, 15:30
All you need to do in the karts is (remember its rear braking) brake in a straight line BEFORE the corner just enough to scrub some speed off, then THROW it into the corner and power slide round, rinse and repeat. If you have a few corners that follow on (no straight to break them up) then you just slide one way and then chuck it the other and counter steer it while putting in the power push you round. Easy once you get used to it :encouragement:

Pirategenius
11-05-2015, 17:36
I've raced Karts and can say these are terrible. Never have I ever had no power on low speed spins in real karts. But these karts spin like a spinney thing. They also don't turn. Please sort them out

Clutch
11-05-2015, 17:43
Brake then turn. I also increased the steering dead zone.

Skeme_DBT
13-05-2015, 22:41
Took me about about 20 mins of practice to get how to handle the Karts. I didnt change any settings. Just turned all assists off.
Now Im addicted to them! Super fun to drive when you get the handling down.

Skeme_DBT
13-05-2015, 22:43
All you need to do in the karts is (remember its rear braking) brake in a straight line BEFORE the corner just enough to scrub some speed off, then THROW it into the corner and power slide round, rinse and repeat. If you have a few corners that follow on (no straight to break them up) then you just slide one way and then chuck it the other and counter steer it while putting in the power push you round. Easy once you get used to it :encouragement:

Yup! Thats how its done.

Jonf1927
04-06-2015, 17:11
Funnily enough I've figured it out. Just after I posted this I went and had another go around the Dubai Kart track and it suddenly clicked as to how I should be approaching the corners. Basically, I was trying to drive them the way I would any other racing car and getting all my braking done before I turn in to the corner and then accelerate through the apex without too much sliding. This, though, just resulted in lots of hideous understeer in the slow corners. What I've found that if I don't brake quite as much, carry a bit more speed in and allow the rear to sort of drift while balancing the throttle, the front end pulls round the corner a lot better and I can drive a lot smoother and faster.

I find if I carry too much speed in, the cart add simply dies what it does with too little speed ie understeers horrifically into the nearest wall. Also when taking corners at high speed ( the first corner at Dubai for example) it grips fine, then about three quarters of the way through the corner I get a wall of grip that makes the car veer off to the inside. If I slow up the Ai blasts by me. Any tips cos this is driving me mad? Can you only slide the cart with assists on our something as I've changed pretty much every running setting on the bloody kart and it seems to make only a marginal difference

Jonf1927
04-06-2015, 17:51
Should have said I'm reverting to125cc karts only the 250cc are fine. Can anyone out there seriously drift a 125cc kart? The understeer is laughable on all settings