PDA

View Full Version : My Review (PC)

JughedJones
11-05-2015, 13:14
This game is perfect in a lot of ways.

It fills the gap between Iracing AC and Fun. If I don't want to strap on my wheel, and just have some fun with my gamepad playing a
beautifully modeled racing game... this is the one.

However, it's terribly optimized. I see horrible jaggies happening all over the place, and the FPS crashes if I try to get it any better.

I'm sure a lot of folks have Titans and duel 980s, but I'm just playing on a 1080

I'm sure the devs will get this together. I can't wait to have a game that bridges that gap. Sometimes, I just don't feel like plugging my wheel in. Pcars is
that game.

Roger Prynne
11-05-2015, 13:18
The thing is you don't tell us what hardware and settings you are using... if you do we might be able to help you sort that out.
For example have you tried using FXAA to get rid of the jaggies?

Edit: Put your system specs and settings in your sig... that will help in the future to try and sort out any probs you might be having.

JughedJones
11-05-2015, 13:21
i7 4770 @ 4.5 GTX 780 FTW edition 16 gigs corsair SSD Windows 8.1

1920 1080 60\\\I'll check right now if I have FXAA on.

JughedJones
11-05-2015, 13:24
I have DS6x and SMAA at Ultra.

Im getting 60 fps locked. Should I go to FXAA?

JughedJones
11-05-2015, 13:31
Still bad jaggies with FXAA.

In the cockpit it looks great, but on the horizon it looks like a mess.

I don't know, I don't mean to nitpick, but I can't handle jaggie horizons, man. I also don't have a good enough rig to downsample to a hardcore resolution.

whatever. maybe they'll figure it out soon. it's a lot of fun to drive. I just can't handle the weirdness.

E30_Hntsvl
11-05-2015, 13:35
Its not a nitpick. The jaggies drive me nuts also. I smoothed them out last night by applying some Supersample in Inspector to a otherwise default pCARS profile. Even 2x knocked some down.

Khyber GT
11-05-2015, 13:37
most in-depth review ever

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 13:39
Metacritic will be right on it.

JughedJones
11-05-2015, 13:40
most in-depth review ever

Great game, poorly optimized.

8.5/10 Boom.

Bealdor
11-05-2015, 13:41
Still bad jaggies with FXAA.

In the cockpit it looks great, but on the horizon it looks like a mess.

I don't know, I don't mean to nitpick, but I can't handle jaggie horizons, man. I also don't have a good enough rig to downsample to a hardcore resolution.

whatever. maybe they'll figure it out soon. it's a lot of fun to drive. I just can't handle the weirdness.

If you had a solution for this, you'd be a rich man. ;)

Seriously, that's a problem that plagues a lot of racing games. You have a very high drawind distance, are moving fast and you have lots of thin lines on the tarmac and at the fences.
I tried lots of different AA modes and nothing seems to help.

Somebody should bribe NVIDIA to make the Negative LOD Bias Clamp work again. This alone would solve most of those problems. :rolleyes:

8.5/10 Boom.

Please show me the racing game that has better performance/fps with the same amount of cars on track while still looking this good.

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 13:41

8.5/10 Boom.

Love parsimony.

JughedJones
11-05-2015, 13:49

Seriously, that's a problem that plagues a lot of racing games. You have a very high drawind distance, are moving fast and you have lots of thin lines on the tarmac and at the fences.

Somebody should bribe NVIDIA to make the Negative LOD Bias Clamp work again. This alone would solve most of those problems. :rolleyes:

Please show me the racing game that has better performance/fps with the same amount of cars on track while still looking this good.

Brother, Assetto Corsa looks great with 12 cars on the track. No jaggies, I got that stuff dialed in. Better physics too.

I bought this to have a game that wasn't quite the SIM that it AC is, I just wanted something close I could play with my gamepad
and not have to strap on my wheel. It does everything great, except look like crap on the horizons for me.

JughedJones
11-05-2015, 13:54

Love parsimony.

I don't even know what you mean.

I'm just saying what I'm saying, man. I love you, Chewie.

Ultralow
11-05-2015, 13:56
poorly optimized? I have a 3rd gen I-3 with a gtx 760 got mostly everthing on high getting great FPS.......

JughedJones
11-05-2015, 13:59
poorly optimized? I have a 3rd gen I-3 with a gtx 760 got mostly everthing on high getting great FPS.......

I have almost everything on ultra. Getting great FPS. Getting flickering jaggies on the horizon.

Kinda crappola. Sorry.

Bealdor
11-05-2015, 14:01
Brother, Assetto Corsa looks great with 12 cars on the track. No jaggies, I got that stuff dialed in. Better physics too.

I bought this to have a game that wasn't quite the SIM that it AC is, I just wanted something close I could play with my gamepad
and not have to strap on my wheel. It does everything great, except look like crap on the horizons for me.

Apart from your jaggies observation, I don't see where AC is better optimised.

JughedJones
11-05-2015, 14:07
Apart from your jaggies observation, I don't see where AC is better optimised.

alright. that's just silly.

I can have 12 cars on the track and get it so I don't see jaggies on the horizon, with 50-60 fps w/vsync. (and it looks as pretty or better.)

EDIT: You know what? Maybe I'm wrong with the 'optimized' thing.

Pcars plays at high FPS at high settings with mid-high gear.

It just doesn't look great. Better?

Bealdor
11-05-2015, 14:11
alright. that's just silly.

I can have 12 cars on the track and get it so I don't see jaggies on the horizon, with 50-60 fps w/vsync. (and it looks as pretty or better.)

I'm pretty sure any AC driver would tell you so.

It seems like we're having a different opinion of the meaning of "optimisation". It could totally be that the AC engine works better with some AA modes but for me that's more a case of "design" instead of "optimisation".

JughedJones
11-05-2015, 14:14
It seems like we're having a different opinion of the meaning of "optimisation". It could totally be that the AC engine works better with some AA modes but for me that's more a case of "design" instead of "optimisation".

You're absolutely right, and I apologize. Please see my edited post above.

I've been massacring the definition of 'optimized,' and I apologize.

Bealdor
11-05-2015, 14:21
You're absolutely right, and I apologize. Please see my edited post above.

I've been massacring the definition of 'optimized,' and I apologize.

No problem mate, all good. :)