PDA

View Full Version : Do retailers offer refunds on games?

robwdavies
11-05-2015, 13:33
I appreciate that a lot of work has gone into the game and that the development team are no doubt working hard on addressing issues as we speak, however I'm having a lot of trouble with this game.

All I've been able to get working is a simple free run around a track with no other vehicles on it.

The game has crashed on loading numerous times.
The game has frozen whilst preparing for a race numerous times.
When I try to start a career, the frame rate fluctuations make it impossible to race.
When I do manage to get a free run up and running, I get a number of glitchy control issues, the greatest of which is the annoying tendency to suddenly take a sharp turn right when I'm on a straight (crashing me into the wall).

I've tried all the advice on this forum (reinstalled, got latest patch, configured controls, etc.), and the issues are persisting.

It's a real shame as I think there is the underpinnings of a very promising game. That said, I don't think that anyone should have to pay for a clearly flawed product in the hope that it can be fixed. I'd be happy to buy again once it is all working properly, but I can't justify paying 44 for something I can't use.

I purchased from Tesco. I don't know if anyone has had any joy getting a refund out of them, but I have a horrible feeling I'll get to the desk and be told their refund policy doesn't cover videogames.

Do I have some statutory right in this situation?

Elmo
11-05-2015, 13:35
If you want a refund you need to talk to the shop you bought the game from.

But I recommend you hang in there. The devs are working flat-out on the issues.

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 13:38
We're actually out or running out of stock in most stores now. We've had a word with Bandai to encourage stores to offer refunds if possible (not sure they can swing it, but there is no harm in pushing) as there's nothing worse than eager punters being unable to purchase the game in boxed form.

robwdavies
11-05-2015, 13:52
Thanks for the quick replies guys, I do appreciate it.

I've no problem in supporting the game once it's all up and running, but at the moment it's little more than a 44 coaster. It's a real shame as I haven't looked forward to a game launch this much for ages.

I'll speak to Tesco.

robwdavies
11-05-2015, 14:00
Right, brief chat with Tesco...

Apparently due to copyright law there are limitations on what they can offer in terms of refunds, and that the first course of action will be to offer a replacement copy of the game...

They have said the best thing to do in these instances is contact the manufacturer directly.

Not sure where that leaves me to be honest.

Blackvault
11-05-2015, 14:02
Right, brief chat with Tesco...

Apparently due to copyright law there are limitations on what they can offer in terms of refunds, and that the first course of action will be to offer a replacement copy of the game...

They have said the best thing to do in these instances is contact the manufacturer directly.

Not sure where that leaves me to be honest.

To hang on in with us as the devs are working at getting the big issues resolved.

Pete

robwdavies
11-05-2015, 14:08
Hi Pete, I understand where you're coming from, I really do, but what if this is as good as it's going to get?

I assume this issue was known about prior to launch? I can't imagine this hadn't been picked up at all before this point. And if it was known about, would it not have been resolved then.

It's not even possible to play the 'first' career event (Karting in Glencairn). At the moment I've paid 44 to do laps around an empty track (until it decides to fling me off into a wall when going down a straight).

It also poses serious questions of the numerous professional reviewers who have been playing the game and not managed to report a single issue.

robwdavies
11-05-2015, 14:10
In addition to my message above, even if the 'big' issues are resolved (not that I'm confident a 4-7% performance boost will do that) then there's still the swathe of medium and small issues.

Blackvault
11-05-2015, 14:14
Hi Pete, I understand where you're coming from, I really do, but what if this is as good as it's going to get?

I assume this issue was known about prior to launch? I can't imagine this hadn't been picked up at all before this point. And if it was known about, would it not have been resolved then.

It's not even possible to play the 'first' career event (Karting in Glencairn). At the moment I've paid 44 to do laps around an empty track (until it decides to fling me off into a wall when going down a straight).

It also poses serious questions of the numerous professional reviewers who have been playing the game and not managed to report a single issue.

I fully understand that a 50 game might be a luxury to some people and that you feel a little aggrieved at spending your hard earned cash on the game that has a issues from the get go, however I don't believe this is the best that it will get. If so the devs might as well pack up and go home. Ian Bell has already confirmed that they have replicated and fixed the XB1 controller issue and it is in the next stages of becoming a patch. The turn around time to get this done clearly shows that SMS/WMD care about their customers and working flat to stratify them as quickly as possible.

I'm not sure the ins and outs on whether some of these bugs where picked up prior to launch so I can't really comment on that.

I don't believe Karts are the first career event. Project Cars as a sand box approach to its career so please feel free to jump into another class and see if that is any better.

Hope this helps.

Pete

MonkeyCH
11-05-2015, 14:44
>>The game has crashed on loading numerous times.

In about 50 hours this happened not one time here. The game crashed only one time just yesterday evening after a very long play session of about 10 hours, but never else. Where is your game installed? On the internal HD or an external USB one? Try to unplug your console form the Network and see if this does solve this issue.

>>The game has frozen whilst preparing for a race numerous times.

Never seen this yet. There a reports that this happens only on the disc version and not onthe DL Version. Do you have the disc version?

>>When I try to start a career, the frame rate fluctuations make it impossible to race.

I'm not realy sure what you mean, but I think you mean the ugly kart racing. And yes this sucks. Start a new career in any other class and its fine, aisde the broken, over sensible gamepad steering.

>> When I do manage to get a free run up and running, I get a number of glitchy control issues, the greatest of which is the annoying tendency to suddenly take a sharp turn right when I'm on a straight (crashing me into the wall).

This is konwn and we will get a patch soon. For now, set the steering deadzone to 0.

robwdavies
11-05-2015, 15:32
>>The game has crashed on loading numerous times.

In about 50 hours this happened not one time here. The game crashed only one time just yesterday evening after a very long play session of about 10 hours, but never else. Where is your game installed? On the internal HD or an external USB one? Try to unplug your console form the Network and see if this does solve this issue.

>>The game has frozen whilst preparing for a race numerous times.

Never seen this yet. There a reports that this happens only on the disc version and not onthe DL Version. Do you have the disc version?

>>When I try to start a career, the frame rate fluctuations make it impossible to race.

I'm not realy sure what you mean, but I think you mean the ugly kart racing. And yes this sucks. Start a new career in any other class and its fine, aisde the broken, over sensible gamepad steering.

>> When I do manage to get a free run up and running, I get a number of glitchy control issues, the greatest of which is the annoying tendency to suddenly take a sharp turn right when I'm on a straight (crashing me into the wall).

This is konwn and we will get a patch soon. For now, set the steering deadzone to 0.

Thanks for your reply.

Game has been installed on both. First internal, then external, now back on internal. No perceptible difference on any of them. Console is connected to network wirelessly so can't 'unplug' as such, but will try disconnecting. Thanks for the tip.

Yes I have the disc version. It's little consolation that the download version doesn't have this issue.

Not just karting, I'm suffering in any race which involves a number of cars and anything other than sunny day (weather/time). The karting is particularly bad though. Besides, it's a bit rich to promote a game on the basis of being able to rise from karting to the very top of Motorsport (even putting it as one of the 3 main career goals), to then say 'the karting doesn't really work, try something else instead'.

Tried the deadzone fix, doesn't really seem to have done a huge amount.

Will try taking it back to Tesco tonight I think.