PDA

View Full Version : Bottoming out

Stretch
11-05-2015, 14:03
So I've raised the ride hight fully on my Mclaren GT3 and still I find it bottoming out at some tracks, you can hear it scraping on the floor quite a lot too. Is there anything else I can do to fix this? I have raised the suspension settings to a harder setting too

Elmo
11-05-2015, 14:05
In some situation you just can't avoid bottoming out in a race car. Especially if you have crest and bumps on a track.

donpost
11-05-2015, 14:08
Can't remember what is tuneable on that car off of the top of my head - but in addition to what you've already done you can try stiffening the front slow bump damper or increasing the size of the bump stop, but honestly if it's just the odd scrape on the group here and there I wouldn't worry about it. Only worry if bottoming out is accompanied by unintended spinning or other noticeable loss of grip :)

danowat
11-05-2015, 14:13
Not tried tuning the car in question, but too much downforce?

Roger Prynne
11-05-2015, 14:35
Watch a real life race and you will see the cars bottoming out quite often in some classes. (depends on the track though)

Disposable_Hero
11-05-2015, 14:45
Not tried tuning the car in question, but too much downforce?
Definitely plays a role too, lower downforce allows lower ride height because the wings don't push the car onto the asphalt:).
But thatīs for corners taken at approx. 120km/h+.

Stretch
11-05-2015, 22:02
Can't remember what is tuneable on that car off of the top of my head - but in addition to what you've already done you can try stiffening the front slow bump damper or increasing the size of the bump stop, but honestly if it's just the odd scrape on the group here and there I wouldn't worry about it. Only worry if bottoming out is accompanied by unintended spinning or other noticeable loss of grip :)

Some corners are a nightmare, can't take no kerb either. Always hated tuning! :D

could_do_better
11-05-2015, 22:11
Perhaps drive a different GT3 car if the Mclaren does not suit your style. There are plenty to choose from.

MULTIVITZ
25-05-2015, 08:39
If you have a race event comming up and are worried about the cars durability, take it for a spin with damage enabled and see the replay to check if anything fell off? I would hit the bumps over and over again as some parts of the cars are stubbon and if you want 100% reliabillity thats what you should do. I recommend a vigorous 'shake down' to see how a car fairs through bumps, driven wrongly, and with roasting or wrecked tyres!! Some handling traits can be remedied with simple tweaks to stop wayward handling if the car gets in a bad state. Hope this is useful to ya?

Doug914
25-05-2015, 14:29
As others have said, bottoming out is just unavoidable on alot of the race cars at some track. Not necessarily something that needs to be tuned out entirely. The only time I'll tune it entirely out is at a track like lemans where is drags down your top speed which you carry for so long there..
Don't get caught tuning to hard to fix one problem. It throws 10 other things out of wack and you'll just end up with a poor handling car ..... that dosen't bottom out ;)

Its all about balance and compromise....not unlike life :)