PDA

View Full Version : Possible online improvements?

Rendor
11-05-2015, 14:25
Hi all,

First of all I'd like to just say how much I'm enjoying the game and what a fantastic job has been done so far - the delay was most definitely worth it! Now, I know the game isn't finished and I'm sure the devs will be looking to continue polishing and adding features, however, there are some quite vital aspects missing for those of us who enjoy championship racing online.

The first of these is the lack of password protected lobbies. Is this something that will ever be added to console versions of the game? It would be great to open up a 90 minute practice session and for our championship guys to join when theyre ready via a password, rather than having to be invited as this means I have to stop doing what I'm doing in order to invite them. I saw that this was possible in the PC version so I'm a little puzzled why it would be removed for consoles.

The second is the ability to view people's best lap times. As part of our championship we award a racer with an additional bonus point for a hot lap during the race. Is this something we're are likely to see in the future?

The third is the ability to switch target during saved replays. Another massive aspect of our championships, and I'm sure many others, is the ability to create highlights videos from the replays. However, to do this we need to be able to switch from car to car to be able to highlight the best of the action rather than following one car around the track. Any word on this?

The fourth and final, is the ability to select a livery for online races. I haven't managed to do this so far... Is there a way or is it another small aspect that has been overlooked.

On a positive note, all of our guys are thoroughly enjoying the game and looking forward to getting started; it would just be nice if the smaller things are on the horizon to make what's so far a good game, into a GREAT game. The racing is fantastic and we want the other aspects to be at the same level. I know we are just a tiny part of what is a huge community, but I have heard these things echoed around other forums, and I also realise that there are more pressing issues at the moment, but hopefully in the future we will see some of these things implemented. :cool:

Voxalizer
11-05-2015, 15:36
Great suggestions. I'd like to add some of my own.

1. I'd really love a lobby system like in Gran Turismo 6 where players can freerun while waiting for players to join or waiting for the race/qualifying to start.

2. Some form of textchat would be really helpful for some quick announcements.

3. More power for hosts. Hosts should be able to disable all mics, disable trackvoting. Also they should be able to kick anyone without the need of a votekick feature.

4. While maybe not very realistic, a no-collision mode or atleast a feature where extremely slow or stationary players become transparant. Same goes for ppl opening their menu or driving in the wrong direction. Not only would this tackle abusive players, it would also create more safety in situations where people disconnect, have to move away from their console for any reason, etc.

5. The ability to name a lobby. This might seem something small, but naming your lobby "clean GT3 Nordschleife 1-lap races no assists" for example gives players an idea of what to expect when joining.

6. Multiple slots to create various customizable lobby presets. Just so you don't have to setup the same room over and over again. Being able to save multiple lobby setups would be great.

I really enjoy what PCars has to offer so far, it has the potential to become something truly great.

Josh3701
11-05-2015, 18:14
Great suggestions. I'd like to add some of my own.

1. I'd really love a lobby system like in Gran Turismo 6 where players can freerun while waiting for players to join or waiting for the race/qualifying to start.

Something else I'd like to add to that point is a freemode type of race in general. A good way to mess about with friends is always something I would like in order to always enjoy a game.

Rendor
11-05-2015, 23:03
It would also be nice to see more than just 20 lobbies. I know these are all relatively minor things but that's what makes me believe they are worth the time implementing.

beastwez
12-05-2015, 15:34
Couldn't agree more on

5. The ability to name a lobby. This might seem something small, but naming your lobby "clean GT3 Nordschleife 1-lap races no assists" for example gives players an idea of what to expect when joining.

bent_toe
12-05-2015, 16:25
Dedicated servers? Renting servers?

MisterO
12-05-2015, 16:36
Afaik dedicated servers are PC only, at least for now.

Rendor
12-05-2015, 16:50
Dedi servers aren't that much of a priority for me personally. I think the disadvantages of the current setup could easily be overcome with a signal strength gauge at lobby list level. I think the other improvements are much more important for ensuring the best online experience. That's just me though. Some great ideas here, let's just hope the guys feel the same :)

Marcd23
12-05-2015, 17:32
When you have a smash bad enough you are completely pulled from the race. Not just sent to the pit and able to rejoin. you can obviously watch the rest of the race on the monitor. But this would also force players into playing clean. Leaving the lobby after a bad crash should also go against you to stop players coming in, smashing players up and leaving after a bad crash.

IrideGravity
13-05-2015, 22:48
Sadly, I think this forum is for players to connect only. I think our suggestions are just blowing in the wind. I'd be curious to know if we will see a rep from SMS here ever or if WMD members will be wielding ban hammers here. I think any real discussion of what's a priority to fix is happening at WMD's portal. Those folks did buy into a kick starter campaign. Us as average consumers likely are not going to be heard or worried about. Would be great to know what's going down and being talked about at WMD. Have not seen anyone here to stand in and address the issues being mentioned and assuring a fix for bugs and such. The improvements you guys are suggesting are all good & deserve consideration, and some should be slam dunks for inclusion. Let's see if anyone hears. There's another damn good physics engine held back by a lack of attention to details.

Rendor
14-05-2015, 14:42
Sadly, I think this forum is for players to connect only. I think our suggestions are just blowing in the wind. I'd be curious to know if we will see a rep from SMS here ever or if WMD members will be wielding ban hammers here. I think any real discussion of what's a priority to fix is happening at WMD's portal. Those folks did buy into a kick starter campaign. Us as average consumers likely are not going to be heard or worried about. Would be great to know what's going down and being talked about at WMD. Have not seen anyone here to stand in and address the issues being mentioned and assuring a fix for bugs and such. The improvements you guys are suggesting are all good & deserve consideration, and some should be slam dunks for inclusion. Let's see if anyone hears. There's another damn good physics engine held back by a lack of attention to details.

There are definitely devs here, including the head of studio, as I have read his replies to other threads. We just need to try and keep the ideas rolling and keep the thread near the top of the list so that it is visible to them, as at the minute it's becoming more of a selling forum than anything else...

FoxMulder
14-05-2015, 16:46
Very good and imo essential features to online play, cheers guys. bump

dvc
14-05-2015, 23:21
Something else I'd like to add to that point is a freemode type of race in general. A good way to mess about with friends is always something I would like in order to always enjoy a game.

Just set up a private 90minutes x 2 practice session :)

ChrisK
14-05-2015, 23:34
Only being able to see 20 lobbies is a real problem imo. That's just not enough of a variety when you consider the depth of the game. The different tracks, classes of cars etc. Yesterday we set up a bathurst event but cos it wasn't listed, no one could see it and join. I don't think that's minor personally.

Rendor
15-05-2015, 09:00
Regarding the online replay stuff, I had this reply in another thread :)

It's also a Feature that is wished by the WMD Community, so i think it will find it's way into the Game sooner or later....

IrideGravity
16-05-2015, 23:51
It does seem odd that the same lobby's always on the list. Anyone else noticing the top spot staying the same all the time, regardless if it's even joinable or not? Like the room is preferred or promoted? Is it related to amount of time it's been open?

IrideGravity
16-05-2015, 23:59
There are definitely devs here, including the head of studio, as I have read his replies to other threads. We just need to try and keep the ideas rolling and keep the thread near the top of the list so that it is visible to them, as at the minute it's becoming more of a selling forum than anything else...

Yeah, I've seen them around saying the right things here and there. Not as many WMD members as I would have expected participating, but they prolly don't want anything to do with a console, guessing there all laughing on their pcs enjoying each others dedicated servers.