PDA

View Full Version : WHERE IS WALLY? - AKA I am unable to ascertain the location of my opponents.

MABlosfeld
11-05-2015, 15:41
"I'm running, I try to know where my opponents, look for mirrors, waste time and am overcome."
In some racing games there is an indicative arrow telling the closeness of the opponent, the left, right or behind.
My suggestion: put an option multiple choice, with or without indicating arrow.

vicdavery
11-05-2015, 15:45
This is a racing simulator, which closely represents real racing.

You have mirrors, the ability to turn your virtual head and gap indicators on the HUD. Plus of course the sound.

Learn to use these cues, and you'll never go back to the warning arrows.

MABlosfeld
11-05-2015, 15:52
I use the mirrors, I use the sound as reference but not all people use what ends up causing a lot of confusion and spoiling the fun. I know this game is a simulator but as already there are so many options on the menu I see no harm in suggesting something that reduces accidents.

MABlosfeld
11-05-2015, 15:57
My hoby is racing simulator, my first game was NASCAR RACING 2. Currently I have some simulators: ASSETTO CORSA, rFactor 2, GAME STOCK CAR, Simraceway, RaceRoom and PCARS. I may not have full knowledge of the subject but a light on the dashboard indicating the closeness would be very important to avoid unwanted closed.

Mahjik
11-05-2015, 17:00
There is no problem with providing suggestions. Just make sure to first search to see if your idea has been suggested, and also make sure to use the proper area of the forum:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?131-Feature-Suggestions

It would also be helpful to use a thread title that is a little more appropriate as many people will skip threads with titles like this..

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 17:01
There is no problem with providing suggestions. Just make sure to first search to see if your idea has been suggested, and also make sure to use the proper area of the forum:

It would also be helpful to use a thread title that is a little more appropriate as many people will skip threads with titles like this..

I don't know. I understood instantly that 'Where is Wally' means, I'm struggling with Ai alongside me.

MABlosfeld
12-05-2015, 14:15

You're right, maybe the title "WHERE IS THE OPPONENT?" would be more successful.
I apologize for posting in the wrong place, I always look if there is already a subject related but this time I was too hasty. Thank you for your attention and for the information.

MABlosfeld
12-05-2015, 14:21
I don't know. I understood instantly that 'Where is Wally' means, I'm struggling with Ai alongside me.

Use freetrack + opentrack (head movement) and even then it's difficult to know where is the opponent (single or multiplayer). A user posted that this game is a simulator and proximity sensors makes no sense, I disagree. Remember when implemented ABS brakes, many complained saying "... This game is simulator want to use ABS will play NEED FOR SPEED..." My opinion: if there is in real life can and must exist in the virtual life. sensores de estacioanamento e de aproximação é uma tecnologia que existe a muito tempo, não sei porque usar sensor de aproximação vai deixar o jogo pcars menos simulador.

Hondo
12-05-2015, 14:21
Bit more info from your race engineer or spotter where cars around you might be something that is better. Something like in iRacing.

vicdavery
12-05-2015, 14:38
A user posted that this game is a simulator and proximity sensors makes no sense, I disagree.

My opinion: if there is in real life can and must exist in the virtual life.

I can't tell if you're arguing for or against the proximity sensors. AFAIK there are no proximity sensors in real life for racing. (Parking, yes. Racing, no).

MABlosfeld
12-05-2015, 14:52
Bit more info from your race engineer or spotter where cars around you might be something that is better. Something like in iRacing.

good idea

MysterG
12-05-2015, 14:55
Title clarified ....

F2kSel
12-05-2015, 15:07
The engine sound of opponents is rather quite compared to some sims and you can't always see the side mirrors.
If I try and use the keyboard (not enough buttons on controller) to look around I nearly always end up in the wall or cause a crash.

It would be nice if the spotter could give you a clue, "inside/ outside" I found very useful in rF when using spotter mod.
We all don't have three monitors or Track IR ect.

Anything that helps reduce collisions can only be a good thing

MABlosfeld
12-05-2015, 15:17
I can't tell if you're arguing for or against the proximity sensors. AFAIK there are no proximity sensors in real life for racing. (Parking, yes. Racing, no).

I do not speak English I use google translator but am in favor of a system to report to the closeness of the opponent.

MABlosfeld
12-05-2015, 15:18
Title clarified ....

thks

sherpa25
12-05-2015, 15:48
Such an app would be nice, especially for single monitor users with limited/cramped FOV. Sounds are effective up to a certain extent only as it doesn't help with how much the car has extended for you to judge whether you can change lanes or not. Something like 'radar app'-Helicorsa in AC is a lifesaver. Likewise, the current angle of the look-left and right is somewhat insufficient. These have been mentioned/requested already so I didn't open a new one.

bigbawmcgraw
12-05-2015, 15:57
Agreed it would be good to have some kind of indicator to tell you where your opponents are. All in the name of safety of course ;)

yusupov
12-05-2015, 16:03
yeah i agree w/ OP -- no spotter & no extra visuals mean playing this on a single screen is NOTHING like real life, sorry. please dont argue bc you can press a button to look a certain angle left/right & have one mirror with one angle that you have the same kind of spatial awareness.

ive seen ppl say helicorsa for AC is 'arcade' so they wont use it or think its silly -- fine, dont use it then. it may not be the most immersive way but it gives single screen users a spatial awareness much more akin to real life. if youre fine (or think you are..) just dont use it. the people who arent fine will race cleaner bc of it...

MABlosfeld
12-05-2015, 16:20
In pCARS the engineer or spotter reports that the opponent is approaching and suggests you step on the accelerator but not enough to avoid collisions.

Andjem
12-05-2015, 16:26
you can always map the 'look back' key and spam that!!

MABlosfeld
12-05-2015, 16:49
you can always map the 'look back' key and spam that!!

I do it but sometimes I just lose control of the car and lose position
look back on line is easy
look back around, inside or outside of the curve is complicated
already exists several features: mirrors, look behind and to the sides, sound opponents just missing the engineer or spotter join the race.

Bailey
12-05-2015, 16:53
I would appreciate some sort of indicator to help me out with situational awareness, be it verbal, visual, or otherwise. I would also like to see some options that enable you to change the way the driver turns his head when you press the look left/right butons. My drivers head just turns way too slow!
~Bailey

Mahjik
12-05-2015, 16:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxOl0b8K6FY

FWIW, some GT cars do have these types of implementations (take a look at the rear view monitor above). They are mainly for when cars are directly behind or just slightly behind on the sides.

MABlosfeld
12-05-2015, 17:06
I would appreciate some sort of indicator to help me out with situational awareness, be it verbal, visual, or otherwise. I would also like to see some options that enable you to change the way the driver turns his head when you press the look left/right butons. My drivers head just turns way too slow!
~Bailey

300 mph everything slows down .... heheh

MABlosfeld
12-05-2015, 17:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxOl0b8K6FY

FWIW, some GT cars do have these types of implementations (take a look at the rear view monitor above). They are mainly for when cars are directly behind or just slightly behind on the sides.

this video explains exactly the proposal of my post

robertedell
12-05-2015, 17:26

You have mirrors, the ability to turn your virtual head and gap indicators on the HUD. Plus of course the sound.

Yes this is a sim but in real life your FOV is a lot greater than the 74 degrees I get with just one screen. For one screen and a FOV of 74 arrows would be nice.

In the mean time I have buttons assigned for look left / look right on my wheel.

F2kSel
13-05-2015, 15:20
Unless I missed something in this game there is no Look To Apex setting unless your using helmet view.
I don't like the helmet view and it also mutes the sound, in other games when using Look To Apex when you turn the wheel you can see more in the wing mirrors this option needs to be made available to standard cockpit view.

AC has the same issue but there is a mod to enable it.

MutantOctane
13-05-2015, 15:50
Real life cars have blind spots. Build situational awareness through mirrors. Car closing one moment, not visible the next, assume they have a nose alongside and race accordingly

Sanuck
13-05-2015, 15:57
Hi
I really think we need some thing for single monitors and a realistic fov setting. Surely just a spit screen on hud showing side mirror views. ie virtual mirrors.
This might not be quite rtl but would be ideal. Size and postition options would be good.

Enjoy

Tomcul
18-08-2015, 08:58
The door mirrors on the car need to be adjusted to get rid of the blind spot they're angled too much away from the car..

the-D-
18-08-2015, 09:36
Head turn is too slow and the angle not wide enough, as for sound cues?, there are none :-/

R74NN
18-08-2015, 10:22
I wonder why would anyone defend not having this feature.

Even though this is a simulator, for obvious reasons it will never be the same as in the real car. Such an indicator would definitely be helpful in the case of cleaner racing. And those who don't want it, could always turn it off, right?

Or is it just the case of defending a missing feature just for the sake of it?

creepyd
18-08-2015, 12:29
I wonder why would anyone defend not having this feature.
Even though this is a simulator, for obvious reasons it will never be the same as in the real car. Such an indicator would definitely be helpful in the case of cleaner racing. And those who don't want it, could always turn it off, right?
Or is it just the case of defending a missing feature just for the sake of it?

Exactly this.

This is a 'Simulator' - it does it's best to simulate driving a racing car.
Being it's absolutely impossible to actually achieve that, there needs to be things implemented to make up for that fact.

Headlook is useless.
- It's far too slow, it will never turn exactly where you want to look instantly.
- When you headlook you have no clue where your car is going - in real life you can 'feel' that.
- Mirrors in game are obviously an infinitely lower resolution that real life, good luck seeing anything in them anyway.

Sound is useless (for some).
I play with speakers and have it turned down, I can't hear any other cars unless I'm surrounded by them.

Online play is carnage.
- If everyone had arrows there would be MUCH less carnage and the game would be much more enjoyable for everyone! Why would you fight that?
That single reason overrides ALL others imo - this is a game and I want to enjoy it.

Raven403
18-08-2015, 12:34
A simple Spotter audio would help immensely and maintain the immersion/simulation people want. Spotters have been in racing games for a very long time, it can't be that hard to implement

the-D-
18-08-2015, 13:29
Project Morpheus will make this problem go away, 'if' they fix surround sound too

SeeNoWeevil
22-08-2015, 10:03
The only solution is VR imo.

donpost
22-08-2015, 10:09

If you could just copy the indicator from GT6 it would be PERFECT. Just a simple STATIC arrow at the sides of the screen that tells you when a car is alongside to counter the lack of peripheral vision from real life.