PDA

View Full Version : My review and honest opinion

caslad81
11-05-2015, 15:44
Well Ill start by saying that I have been waiting for this game the best part of 3 years, I used to be a massive PC sim gamer but due to family commitments etc. I sold my PC and stuck to my PS3 and trusty G25 mostly playing Codemasters F1 series and dabbling in the occasional FPS or RPG.

Well the time had arrived after another delay Project Cars had gone gold, I decided to go out and buy a PS4, sell my G25 and invest in a Thrustmaster T300RS, T3PA pedal set and TH8 shifter kit to go with my Playseat for the full Project Cars experience.

So my first impressions of the game, the graphics were absolutely stunning, I could not believe how good they looked! The cars and track looked unreal and were just as good as I expected them to be on the PS4.

Eager to have a drive I selected a solo weekend with the Formula B car at Sakitto at 90% and started a session. As soon as the car left the pits I was gobsmacked at how it handled, no more days spent playing F1 with only 250 degrees of wheel rotation. The car was responsive and the steering accurate and true. The sound of the exhaust blasting through my speakers made the immersion even greater. After a few laps I started to pick up the pace growing more confident in the car and the limits of the tyres, the car was a bit of a handful but this was part of the fun. I have driven single seaters and can tell you that this is as close as I have ever have "played" on a computer to real life, the way the cars turn and accelerate is absolutely bang on. After an hour or so I thought I would restart a full weekend at 100% and see how I got on, I jumped into the tuning menu and was a little perplexed that when choosing tyres I had no idea how long roughly each one would last and what tyres the AI was running, similarly I had no idea how many laps of fuel I would be carrying so went out to try and work it out manually. I opted for the softest tyres and went out on a run to see how I faired, as soon as I left the pits, boom! I was hit from behind before I had even left the pit lane. I continued out I started to push a bit on cold tyres to try and get some heat into them, into about the 3rd corner cars started approaching from behind and started overtaking me on the outside of corners. Wondering if the AI was starting on pre heated tyres and me on cold tyres I continued until I got up to temp, for the next 30 mins or so I started putting in good lap times occasionally going back to the pit (even though you have to do it by pausing and not driving into the pits another strange decision) So with 2 minutes left I thought I would go out and try to improve my time and started my last flying lap but all of a sudden the timing screens came up. You cannot finish a lap if the time runs out! I ended up finishing top of the board anyway by about a tenth. As the timing board came up I couldn't scroll down to see what the back of the fields times were, or again what tyres they had used. I was also unaware if I had a tyre allocation and if every time I had gone back to the garage had I been fitted with new rubber as I had no indication of any degradation as my lap times were always within a couple of tenths (the AI are too slow at 100%).

Anyway on the qualy, this was pretty much uneventful and the same as practice with the same AI problems at the beginning. I did notice that the AI cars would not move out of the way while I was on a hot lap and that I constantly got blue flags even though I was faster than them. On to the race, I had forgot to adjust my fuel amount in the settings and once qualy has finished you cannot change any setting as you are thrust straight into the race, this is where things get really frustrating. After having to restart the race upwards of 15 times due to the AI cars either ramming me clear off the track or causing a pile up, I managed to get a clear run. for the first few laps I was pulling out a tenth or so per lap over 2nd place and was really enjoying it, I did get the feeling that they could end my race at any time though. Lap 5 it started to rain, I still had a bit of traction so I thought I would stay out for one more lap before pitting, lap 6 I pitted for intermediate tyres but all of the AI stayed out! the tyres felt good for the conditions and I felt in control even though I was plumb last, the rain started falling more and my tyres started letting go again so lap 15 I pitted for wets. Again the AI stayed out! The wets were matching the conditions and I started putting in lap times that were the same if not faster than the AI, were they already on wet tyres? lap 22 and the thunder starts. My tyres turned blue and I couldn't keep any heat in them what so ever, 2 laps into the thunderstorm and the AI were pulling laps 9 seconds quicker than me. The inevitable happened shortly after and I crashed as I had absolutely no grip! A very disappointing end to the race, I restarted the race and everything happened exactly the same as before.

I have since recreated this on different tracks with different cars and get the same results unfortunately, it seems to be a weather and AI tyre issue that is coded wrong.

Since this race I have put approx. 40 hours into this game already and have had some great races, you just have to make sure that there are no weather changes or the whole experience is ruined. I could go on and on with the bugs and decisions that really ruin the game but instead I am going to concentrate on the good things. This game is far from finished but I think when all these problems are addressed this will be the best car sim ever made.

The forums are very helpful and the majority of the time you get an answer straight away. It proves that the devs and community are taking this serious. I have wrote this just to outline my experience, I don't want to bash the game even though I have spent in excess of 800 to play this game. Fun can be had but the game is a long way from been finished and imho should not have been released in this state. On the other hand I would rather be able to play it in this state than not at all. I have signed up to the forum to post problems and bugs to try and help get this sorted, if more people did this game would get sorted quicker.

I know it sounds a bit ironic as I have just complained myself, but at the end of the day this game could be an absolute master piece!!!

Happy racing!!!!

(Umer edit: some spacing added for readability)

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 15:44
Well Ill start by saying that I have been waiting for this game the best part of 3 years, I used to be a massive PC sim gamer but due to family commitments etc. I sold my PC and stuck to my PS3 and trusty G25 mostly playing Codemasters F1 series and dabbling in the occasional FPS or RPG. Well the time had arrived after another delay Project Cars had gone gold, I decided to go out and buy a PS4, sell my G25 and invest in a Thrustmaster T300RS, T3PA pedal set and TH8 shifter kit to go with my Playseat for the full Project Cars experience. So my first impressions of the game, the graphics were absolutely stunning, I could not believe how good they looked! The cars and track looked unreal and were just as good as I expected them to be on the PS4. Eager to have a drive I selected a solo weekend with the Formula B car at Sakitto at 90% and started a session. As soon as the car left the pits I was gobsmacked at how it handled, no more days spent playing F1 with only 250 degrees of wheel rotation. The car was responsive and the steering accurate and true. The sound of the exhaust blasting through my speakers made the immersion even greater. After a few laps I started to pick up the pace growing more confident in the car and the limits of the tyres, the car was a bit of a handful but this was part of the fun. I have driven single seaters and can tell you that this is as close as I have ever have "played" on a computer to real life, the way the cars turn and accelerate is absolutely bang on. After an hour or so I thought I would restart a full weekend at 100% and see how I got on, I jumped into the tuning menu and was a little perplexed that when choosing tyres I had no idea how long roughly each one would last and what tyres the AI was running, similarly I had no idea how many laps of fuel I would be carrying so went out to try and work it out manually. I opted for the softest tyres and went out on a run to see how I faired, as soon as I left the pits, boom! I was hit from behind before I had even left the pit lane. I continued out I started to push a bit on cold tyres to try and get some heat into them, into about the 3rd corner cars started approaching from behind and started overtaking me on the outside of corners. Wondering if the AI was starting on pre heated tyres and me on cold tyres I continued until I got up to temp, for the next 30 mins or so I started putting in good lap times occasionally going back to the pit (even though you have to do it by pausing and not driving into the pits another strange decision) So with 2 minutes left I thought I would go out and try to improve my time and started my last flying lap but all of a sudden the timing screens came up. You cannot finish a lap if the time runs out! I ended up finishing top of the board anyway by about a tenth. As the timing board came up I couldn't scroll down to see what the back of the fields times were, or again what tyres they had used. I was also unaware if I had a tyre allocation and if every time I had gone back to the garage had I been fitted with new rubber as I had no indication of any degradation as my lap times were always within a couple of tenths (the AI are too slow at 100%). Anyway on the qualy, this was pretty much uneventful and the same as practice with the same AI problems at the beginning. I did notice that the AI cars would not move out of the way while I was on a hot lap and that I constantly got blue flags even though I was faster than them. On to the race, I had forgot to adjust my fuel amount in the settings and once qualy has finished you cannot change any setting as you are thrust straight into the race, this is where things get really frustrating. After having to restart the race upwards of 15 times due to the AI cars either ramming me clear off the track or causing a pile up, I managed to get a clear run. for the first few laps I was pulling out a tenth or so per lap over 2nd place and was really enjoying it, I did get the feeling that they could end my race at any time though. Lap 5 it started to rain, I still had a bit of traction so I thought I would stay out for one more lap before pitting, lap 6 I pitted for intermediate tyres but all of the AI stayed out! the tyres felt good for the conditions and I felt in control even though I was plumb last, the rain started falling more and my tyres started letting go again so lap 15 I pitted for wets. Again the AI stayed out! The wets were matching the conditions and I started putting in lap times that were the same if not faster than the AI, were they already on wet tyres? lap 22 and the thunder starts. My tyres turned blue and I couldn't keep any heat in them what so ever, 2 laps into the thunderstorm and the AI were pulling laps 9 seconds quicker than me. The inevitable happened shortly after and I crashed as I had absolutely no grip! A very disappointing end to the race, I restarted the race and everything happened exactly the same as before. I have since recreated this on different tracks with different cars and get the same results unfortunately, it seems to be a weather and AI tyre issue that is coded wrong. Since this race I have put approx. 40 hours into this game already and have had some great races, you just have to make sure that there are no weather changes or the whole experience is ruined. I could go on and on with the bugs and decisions that really ruin the game but instead I am going to concentrate on the good things. This game is far from finished but I think when all these problems are addressed this will be the best car sim ever made. The forums are very helpful and the majority of the time you get an answer straight away. It proves that the devs and community are taking this serious. I have wrote this just to outline my experience, I don't want to bash the game even though I have spent in excess of 800 to play this game. Fun can be had but the game is a long way from been finished and imho should not have been released in this state. On the other hand I would rather be able to play it in this state than not at all. I have signed up to the forum to post problems and bugs to try and help get this sorted, if more people did this game would get sorted quicker. I know it sounds a bit ironic as I have just complained myself, but at the end of the day this game could be an absolute master piece!!! Happy racing!!!!

Paragraph-tastic!

vicdavery
11-05-2015, 15:46
Someone buy this guy a return key, please. :p

Umer Ahmad
11-05-2015, 15:47
That's literally a "wall of text". Time for more coffee so I can start analyzing it.

JB5
11-05-2015, 15:50
Don't they teach English in schools anymore? :confused:

MysterG
11-05-2015, 15:51
Well Ill start by saying that I have been waiting for this game the best part of 3 years, I used to be a massive PC sim gamer but due to family commitments etc. I sold my PC and stuck to my PS3 and trusty G25 mostly playing Codemasters F1 series and dabbling in the occasional FPS or RPG.
Well the time had arrived after another delay Project Cars had gone gold, I decided to go out and buy a PS4, sell my G25 and invest in a Thrustmaster T300RS, T3PA pedal set and TH8 shifter kit to go with my Playseat for the full Project Cars experience.

So my first impressions of the game, the graphics were absolutely stunning, I could not believe how good they looked! The cars and track looked unreal and were just as good as I expected them to be on the PS4. Eager to have a drive I selected a solo weekend with the Formula B car at Sakitto at 90% and started a session.
As soon as the car left the pits I was gobsmacked at how it handled, no more days spent playing F1 with only 250 degrees of wheel rotation. The car was responsive and the steering accurate and true. The sound of the exhaust blasting through my speakers made the immersion even greater. After a few laps I started to pick up the pace growing more confident in the car and the limits of the tyres, the car was a bit of a handful but this was part of the fun. I have driven single seaters and can tell you that this is as close as I have ever have "played" on a computer to real life, the way the cars turn and accelerate is absolutely bang on.

After an hour or so I thought I would restart a full weekend at 100% and see how I got on, I jumped into the tuning menu and was a little perplexed that when choosing tyres I had no idea how long roughly each one would last and what tyres the AI was running, similarly I had no idea how many laps of fuel I would be carrying so went out to try and work it out manually. I opted for the softest tyres and went out on a run to see how I faired, as soon as I left the pits, boom! I was hit from behind before I had even left the pit lane. I continued out I started to push a bit on cold tyres to try and get some heat into them, into about the 3rd corner cars started approaching from behind and started overtaking me on the outside of corners.
Wondering if the AI was starting on pre heated tyres and me on cold tyres I continued until I got up to temp, for the next 30 mins or so I started putting in good lap times occasionally going back to the pit (even though you have to do it by pausing and not driving into the pits another strange decision) So with 2 minutes left I thought I would go out and try to improve my time and started my last flying lap but all of a sudden the timing screens came up. You cannot finish a lap if the time runs out! I ended up finishing top of the board anyway by about a tenth. As the timing board came up I couldn't scroll down to see what the back of the fields times were, or again what tyres they had used. I was also unaware if I had a tyre allocation and if every time I had gone back to the garage had I been fitted with new rubber as I had no indication of any degradation as my lap times were always within a couple of tenths (the AI are too slow at 100%).

Anyway on the qualy, this was pretty much uneventful and the same as practice with the same AI problems at the beginning. I did notice that the AI cars would not move out of the way while I was on a hot lap and that I constantly got blue flags even though I was faster than them. On to the race, I had forgot to adjust my fuel amount in the settings and once qualy has finished you cannot change any setting as you are thrust straight into the race, this is where things get really frustrating.

After having to restart the race upwards of 15 times due to the AI cars either ramming me clear off the track or causing a pile up, I managed to get a clear run. for the first few laps I was pulling out a tenth or so per lap over 2nd place and was really enjoying it, I did get the feeling that they could end my race at any time though. Lap 5 it started to rain, I still had a bit of traction so I thought I would stay out for one more lap before pitting, lap 6 I pitted for intermediate tyres but all of the AI stayed out! the tyres felt good for the conditions and I felt in control even though I was plumb last, the rain started falling more and my tyres started letting go again so lap 15 I pitted for wets. Again the AI stayed out! The wets were matching the conditions and I started putting in lap times that were the same if not faster than the AI, were they already on wet tyres? lap 22 and the thunder starts. My tyres turned blue and I couldn't keep any heat in them what so ever, 2 laps into the thunderstorm and the AI were pulling laps 9 seconds quicker than me. The inevitable happened shortly after and I crashed as I had absolutely no grip! A very disappointing end to the race, I restarted the race and everything happened exactly the same as before. I have since recreated this on different tracks with different cars and get the same results unfortunately, it seems to be a weather and AI tyre issue that is coded wrong.

Since this race I have put approx. 40 hours into this game already and have had some great races, you just have to make sure that there are no weather changes or the whole experience is ruined. I could go on and on with the bugs and decisions that really ruin the game but instead I am going to concentrate on the good things. This game is far from finished but I think when all these problems are addressed this will be the best car sim ever made. The forums are very helpful and the majority of the time you get an answer straight away. It proves that the devs and community are taking this serious.

I have wrote this just to outline my experience, I don't want to bash the game even though I have spent in excess of 800 to play this game. Fun can be had but the game is a long way from been finished and imho should not have been released in this state. On the other hand I would rather be able to play it in this state than not at all. I have signed up to the forum to post problems and bugs to try and help get this sorted, if more people did this game would get sorted quicker. I know it sounds a bit ironic as I have just complained myself, but at the end of the day this game could be an absolute master piece!!! Happy racing!!!!

HTH

IXBEEFXI
11-05-2015, 15:52
Woah!!! It's like a wall of headache!!

caslad81
11-05-2015, 15:53
Sorry, I typed it on a notepad on my phone!

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 15:53
Sorry, I typed it on a notepad on my phone!

I'm feeling a Roy Castle rendition of 'dedication' coming on.

Umer Ahmad
11-05-2015, 15:54
Thanks you OP for the kind and detailed write-up. Glad you're enjoying it despite the bugs you've encountered. Ian's team is addressing everything as we speak. Keep posting your thoughts and ask questions here, the community is supportive to all.

Jason Ganz
11-05-2015, 16:01
Wall of text or not, seeing reviews from people who buy the game and play it and take the time to acquaint themselves to the game, is just as important as those in the media. Great review! Much Post.

onimoD
11-05-2015, 16:19
Great job guys. I've been hunting for a PGR 4 replacement for years (no really). I think this could be it. :D

Just one thing I would like to see (apart from the bug fixes of course) - Lap Times!

During the time trial, I'd like to see my best lap time and last lap time on the HUD. If it's there already, please tell me how to get it displayed.

Ian Bell
11-05-2015, 16:21
Great job guys. I've been hunting for a PGR 4 replacement for years (no really). I think this could be it. :D

Just one thing I would like to see (apart from the bug fixes of course) - Lap Times!

During the time trial, I'd like to see my best lap time and last lap time on the HUD. If it's there already, please tell me how to get it displayed.

I do believe there's a HUD cycle option for that. I could be wrong though.

Bealdor
11-05-2015, 16:26
I do believe there's a HUD cycle option for that. I could be wrong though.

Afaik there's a "Cycle/Toggle Lap Times" hotkey.

Roger Prynne
11-05-2015, 16:32
I think it's Tab by default but I map it to a button on my wheel.

onimoD
13-05-2015, 18:19
I'm an Xbox One user guys.

Suburban Coot
13-05-2015, 18:24

https://youtu.be/K-gJV_kM33M

onimoD
17-05-2015, 12:40
I found it! D-pad left, cycles through the various HUD options.

BuToNz
17-05-2015, 13:01
I found it! D-pad left, cycles through the various HUD options.

HUD cycle is a different key to the Cycle/Toggle Lap Times key. Map it in settings.

Eric Rowland
17-05-2015, 17:55

Roy was a jazz trumpeteer! (Unfortunately this led to his demise)