PDA

View Full Version : Things Assetto Corsa Did Right (and that Project CARS should have too)

Essobie
11-05-2015, 23:24
I think pCARS is probably the better overall title between the two, but there's a few things that AC did that I consider fairly important things to be missing from this title.

Fully customization HUD elements that can be placed anywhere (to the pixel) instead of slotted in to specific slots. Oh, and that persist between each driving session.
Individually rendered cameras for triple monitor support, along with supporting setup "apps" to make tweaking them trivial.
Ability to alter your display name separate from your Steam display name (for leagues that want your real name and such).
Hotlap mode that starts you on track before the last turn and has a time advanced ghost of your best time.

I'm probably forgetting a number of things... these are just the heavy hitters for me personally. What other things does AC do right that pCARS is missing out on?

yusupov
11-05-2015, 23:30
just fyi, to me this is a bit like making a thread on AC board (sorry, YET ANOTHER THREAD) about how there should be night, knowing full well the devs have said its an engine limitation -- if its not something that can be changed, no point complaining about it.

i guess i say the above bc id rather see constructive stuff than "if only..." stuff. ie whats stuff that AC does well, that pCARS could do too?

Essobie
12-05-2015, 00:32
just fyi, to me this is a bit like making a thread on AC board (sorry, YET ANOTHER THREAD) about how there should be night, knowing full well the devs have said its an engine limitation -- if its not something that can be changed, no point complaining about it.

i guess i say the above bc id rather see constructive stuff than "if only..." stuff. ie whats stuff that AC does well, that pCARS could do too?

Firstly, I don't know any SMS devs that have said that any of the above things are engine limitations... so I don't know how this is comparable to asking for night and rain in AC. The triple screen rendering COULD be an engine limitation I suppose, but I don't think that's the case. I believe elsewhere they've said that they plan on doing true triple screen support after release.

Everything else on that list is certainly doable. Are they trivial things? Maybe not (well, getting the HUD customization to persist is likely trivial to fix). But this thread is about one racing game taking notes from a comparable title.

I would recommend to you to not bother responding to Feature Suggestion threads unless you want to add to them. I don't think any thread in this section needs someone to drop in and say "no point in complaining about things", wouldn't you agree?

TenthDan
12-05-2015, 01:19

This is the feature suggestion section. And there's nothing flat out stating the above couldn't be done in future, so people can suggest ideas they think worthwhile.

yusupov
12-05-2015, 01:51
i didnt see the section, & im sorry if my tone came across as "dont complain you ungrateful swine", i think i mayve misread the tenses in the thread title & wanted to shift what i thought was the tone.

NemethR
12-05-2015, 10:55
The thing AC did right, and PCars could do is:

1.) Dirt on the windscreen
2.) Much brighter shifting indicator lights. (Sometimes you can't see them because the sun is shining on them.)
They are much brighter in real life also.

Other than that I cannot find anything where AC is better :)

Bealdor
12-05-2015, 11:00
I think pCARS is probably the better overall title between the two, but there's a few things that AC did that I consider fairly important things to be missing from this title.

Fully customization HUD elements that can be placed anywhere (to the pixel) instead of slotted in to specific slots. Oh, and that persist between each driving session. Known issue
Individually rendered cameras for triple monitor support, along with supporting setup "apps" to make tweaking them trivial. Triple screen rendering is already on the list to come
Ability to alter your display name separate from your Steam display name (for leagues that want your real name and such). Agreed, this would be nice
Hotlap mode that starts you on track before the last turn and has a time advanced ghost of your best time. Have you ever tried the "Time Trial" mode?

I'm probably forgetting a number of things... these are just the heavy hitters for me personally. What other things does AC do right that pCARS is missing out on?

Answers in your quote.

Cornflex
12-05-2015, 14:54
Would be nice to choose your opponent car brands as in AC.

Blackvault
12-05-2015, 14:57
This is the feature suggestion section. And there's nothing flat out stating the above couldn't be done in future, so people can suggest ideas they think worthwhile.

Agreed Dan. So long as this doesn't turn into a AC is better than Projects and visa versa argument!

Pete

donpost
12-05-2015, 14:59
Proximity indicator!!!!!

Although tbf I'd prefer the indicator from GT6 than the one from AC as it's more visible in your peripheral vision.

MisterO
12-05-2015, 16:19
AC has this app (or whatever these ingame programms are called) that shows you the name of the current section / corner. That's one awesome thing that I'd like to see here too.

Essobie
12-05-2015, 21:34
Yeah, the title of this thread may have been a bit heavy handed. As I said in the original post, I actually think pCARS is the better title overall, so I wasn't here to start arguments about this game versus that game, etc. If I had to do it over again, I'd rename the thread to "Some nice things that pCARS should barrow from other racing sims". Then I could also include stuff I like from things other than AC that pCARS would benefit from having!

Proximity indicator!!!!!

Although tbf I'd prefer the indicator from GT6 than the one from AC as it's more visible in your peripheral vision.

There's an app for AC called Helicorsa which is a top down radar HUD element that only becomes visible when there are other cars nearby, and shows you your location in the center with other cars in relation to you. It is a bit odd at first, but once you get used to it, it REALLY helps with situational awareness. The kind you get from sitting in an actual car without having to even look around. Beats trying to see arrows on the edges of your screen or a guy screaming in your ear (spotter).

yusupov
12-05-2015, 21:39
AC has this app (or whatever these ingame programms are called) that shows you the name of the current section / corner. That's one awesome thing that I'd like to see here too.

YES i forgot to mention this. this is so small & easy to do but its one of my favorite features of AC.

flymar
12-05-2015, 21:44
Hotlap mode that starts you on track before the last turn and has a time advanced ghost of your best time.

That's Time Trial with "use best in session" ghost. But I prefer taking 3 ghosts faster then mine and race them:)

Neil Bateman
12-05-2015, 21:54
I really dont like the proximity arrows but i have 18 buttons on my wheel and shifter available to help me look all round the car very quickly and easily, i guess if you use a controller its much more difficult to constantly look left, right and behind.

Essobie
12-05-2015, 22:41
I really dont like the proximity arrows but i have 18 buttons on my wheel and shifter available to help me look all round the car very quickly and easily, i guess if you use a controller its much more difficult to constantly look left, right and behind.

I have TrackIR and looking around doesn't feel like enough. I feel like sim racers should get some additional, non-visual awareness of nearby vehicles. Audio gives SOME of this in game, but not as good as it does in real life. Just driving on the freeway I can tell when a car is near me just because the differences in how the air and engine sounds from my car sound bouncing off of their car. My guess is that that type of thing isn't modeled in the sound engine in this (or any other) sim.

Also, I remembered another nicety from AC that pCARS could use! When deciding how much fuel to put in your tank in the pits, calculating the current amount of fuel needed per lap would be super useful, especially in Career mode where you don't necessarily have practice laps before races.

NoBrakes
14-06-2015, 11:43
Besides something like HeliCorsa I'd like to see something like the ptracker/stracker app in an upcoming (planned?) true dedicated server environment. It's not only because it makes it very easy to get appropriate racing results at once for e.g league racing but it covers some other useful things like exchange of car setups vice versa the players ... as it is possible in rF2 in another way.

kwakaman39
14-06-2015, 19:30
The controller/wheel presets. (saves re configuring controls every time when switch from H to paddles etc).
OSD for Brake Bias etc (roll bars also).
In game spotter rather than boring pit engineer (Ben Collins). Know it a add on mod for AC but pCars could do with it.

Know its comparing to AC, but pCars have things AC should have also.

gripe...do hope the tyre wear gets sorted soon. Only temp has a handling affect at the moment.

nomen nescio
14-06-2015, 19:58
Different TV cameras which you can choose during replay maybe?

ABS, TC indicator >> HUD

yusupov
14-06-2015, 20:11
The controller/wheel presets. (saves re configuring controls every time when switch from H to paddles etc).
OSD for Brake Bias etc (roll bars also).
In game spotter rather than boring pit engineer (Ben Collins). Know it a add on mod for AC but pCars could do with it.

Know its comparing to AC, but pCars have things AC should have also.

gripe...do hope the tyre wear gets sorted soon. Only temp has a handling affect at the moment.

i agree about tire wear, but it seems to be a rate thing. ive cranked up the multiplier & it definitely had an effect on how the car felt. so if you want it to have an effect, you at least technically can. problem is idk which wear rate is 'realistic', not to mention thats subject to endless debate anyway...

btw, AC doesnt exactly punish the tires either. in fact in the (very) little test i did its not all that different from pcars. 5-10 sloppy laps around silverstone on soft slicks with a gt car and barely a dent (2% in pC, 3% in AC i think), if i do that in rf2 the tires are dead.

SketchyRacer
15-06-2015, 14:18
Fully customization HUD elements that can be placed anywhere (to the pixel) instead of slotted in to specific slots. Oh, and that persist between each driving session.

this would be nice... i like the dash in the middle (bumper cam) but with the wheel it gets obscured... would be nice to move it up a tad but there is no slot for it :(

Pamellaaa
15-06-2015, 14:45
i agree about tire wear, but it seems to be a rate thing. ive cranked up the multiplier & it definitely had an effect on how the car felt. so if you want it to have an effect, you at least technically can. problem is idk which wear rate is 'realistic', not to mention thats subject to endless debate anyway...

btw, AC doesnt exactly punish the tires either. in fact in the (very) little test i did its not all that different from pcars. 5-10 sloppy laps around silverstone on soft slicks with a gt car and barely a dent (2% in pC, 3% in AC i think), if i do that in rf2 the tires are dead.

I would have thought this would be pretty realistic to be honest, GT cars will often do multiple tanks of fuel on a single set of tyres so even the 'soft' will last a pretty good amount of time.