PDA

View Full Version : racing line braking points.

jam1uk
12-05-2015, 00:19
The braking point especialy on open wheel cars are so far out that after driving kver the point at which it turns red i am still accelerateing and changing up a gear before i need to brake. The smaller cars it seems fine but he more powerful the car the further the braking distance is out.

hewd
12-05-2015, 01:46
Why do you need the line? You will learn the tracks and cars better without it.

It's just a aid and it's never exact in any game.

yusupov
12-05-2015, 01:59
yeah id suggest trying to learn a track on your own, once youve got a consistent pace, turn the line on & see if it shows you anything you can improve on...otherwise not recommended.

NVI0U5
12-05-2015, 02:05
Driving line is only an aid, use it like a grain of salt, it just shows novice drivers where to position a car and a slow speed to get around the corners

jam1uk
12-05-2015, 02:06
Why do you need the line? You will learn the tracks and cars better without it.

It's just a aid and it's never exact in any game.

Theres not exact and theres being a mile off, and you totaly missed the point,

JJJC
12-05-2015, 02:08
I don't think it is meant to be an exact guide to be honest. Probably more so there as a general guide for new racers to position their car and start braking as a baseline to stay on the track and start to improve their times on.

I had it on at the beginning to get a feel for it, but now I've turned it off and am finding it better to feel around the track myself.

OneBadHuskerFan
12-05-2015, 02:46
Look at it as training wheels when you're learning to ride a bike the take the training wheels off once you get to know the track.

In reality I always think it's best to just never use the racing line. If you don't know the track just start slow and progressively go faster once you learn the turns.

thisisbleep
12-05-2015, 04:34
They are not car specific, so you will have to adjust based on the approach speed, grip and braking distance. Weather and cold tyres will also greatly affect the performance of the car.

gookiecrunch
07-06-2015, 20:22
They are not car specific, so you will have to adjust based on the approach speed, grip and braking distance. Weather and cold tyres will also greatly affect the performance of the car.

They seem bout right for cold tires first lap... Then just keep braking later till u brake too late.. as long as the braking line stays consistent then u can use it to judge your new braking points.. I find with it on I stare at it rather than the track.. so I never really learn the track.. lol

nissan4ever
07-06-2015, 20:50
Race line is a joke. Cut it off. Want to learn a track. Take whatever car to whatever track. Start off driving slow. Slowly getting faster & faster as you learn your braking points & apex. Done

LADY GEMMA JANE
07-06-2015, 20:53
Never use it

dominiczeth
09-06-2015, 09:40
Never use it

I also never use it. When i want to learn a track i drive rounds after rounds on it until i know every corner and every braking point while i'm sleeping :p

D1rty Duck UK
09-06-2015, 11:54
Maybe people don't have hours and hours to learn a track so the driving line helps them.

Way too many 'Elitist' on these forums.

DaFungho
09-06-2015, 12:00
IMHO it hast nothing to do with beeing "elitist" ... it (would) just kill(s) a good amount of fun... (at least for me)

itīs a nice feeling to crawl from lap to lap, taking boundaries a little further every lap until you feel comfortable/fast...

just try it.. itīs not hours and hours...

Raven403
09-06-2015, 12:18
I havent used it, and it hasnt taken me HOURS to learn ANY of the tracks in the game. I think youd be surprised how fast you learn them without the line. Not to mention the line is a hinderence. It makes you slower, I found the line to have you brake way to early in some of the Twitch and Youtube stuff I saw.

Sonic6L
09-06-2015, 12:31
I use the line to learn the track and adjust my braking points.

Olijke Poffer
09-06-2015, 12:35
No line for me. It is much certifier when driving without.

nissan4ever
09-06-2015, 13:01
Way too many 'Elitist' on these forums.

Wrong! With in 5-10 laps, you should have a good idea of breaking points, gearing, entry, apex, & exit. A little bit more lapping & you'll be honing in on doing just fine. What is it with British people saying "Elitist"? If you don't know the person personally, your more than likely way off base making an inaccurate assumption.

Dan77 DESTROYER
09-06-2015, 13:16
Wrong! With in 5-10 laps, you should have a good idea of breaking points, gearing, entry, apex, & exit. A little bit more lapping & you'll be honing in on doing just fine. What is it with British people saying "Elitist"? If you don't know the person personally, your more than likely way off base making an inaccurate assumption.

What has his Britishness got to do with his comment?

nissan4ever
09-06-2015, 13:19
Because I've read on these forums lots of British based gamers quick to call someone an "elitist". Seems to be a trendy word over there. Pretty sure most people being called an "elitist" are far from it. I know I'm not one. Been called it myself & I'm definitely not one. I think it's a pointless adjective.

Sonic6L
09-06-2015, 13:20
Seems to be a trendy word over there. Pretty sure most people being called an "elitist" are far from it.

No lol, it's not.

Wrong! With in 5-10 laps, you should have a good idea of breaking points, gearing, entry, apex, & exit.

Not everyone learns at the same pace at other people. For some people to learn a track it can take an hour, for other people it can take days. I know Silverstone, Brands & Donny inside out, along with Yas Marina, Spa and Hockenheim but I still use the Braking Line to adjust where I brake, I prefer to brake late and always do in all games, I do this with the line on and that's how I learn. I never have it fully off. In terms of it completely off, the only track I could probably drive without ANY line is Silverstone but I prefer having the line on and would prefer a braking only line.

nissan4ever
09-06-2015, 13:25
No lol, it's not.

Not everyone learns at the same pace at other people. For some people to learn a track it can take an hour, for other people it can take days. I know Silverstone, Brands & Donny inside out, along with Yas Marina, Spa and Hockenheim but I still use the Braking Line to adjust where I brake, I prefer to brake late and always do in all games, I do this with the line on and that's how I learn. I never have it fully off. In terms of it completely off, the only track I could probably drive without ANY line is Silverstone but I prefer having the line on and would prefer a braking only line.

Black marks on asphalt is what you look for. The particular spot where you want to brake at. Not necessarily the beginning of the black mark, will vary by car & tune. Or use a tree or something that can't be moved during a race. It's what real race car drivers do. Very simple.

Sonic6L
09-06-2015, 13:35
Black marks on asphalt is what you look for. The particular spot where you want to brake at. Not necessarily the beginning of the black mark, will vary by car & tune. Or use a tree or something that can't be moved during a race. It's what real race car drivers do. Very simple.

No, you're missing my point. Everyone learns tracks differently and at different paces. What works for you doesn't work for someone else and vice versa, the method I use probably doesn't work for anyone else. I don't use anything on the track as a reference point. When I run without the line, I use the track surroundings and off track things as my reference points, boards, barriers, etc.

nissan4ever
09-06-2015, 13:39
No, you're missing my point. Everyone learns tracks differently. What works for you doesn't work for someone else and vice versa, the method I use probably doesn't work for anyone else. I don't use anything on the track as a reference point. When I run without the line, I use the track surroundings and off track things as my reference points, boards, barriers, etc.

Whats so hard about looking for a tree, particular mark on a barrier, or particular part of the black marks on the track for your braking point? Nothing.

Dan77 DESTROYER
09-06-2015, 13:40
On forza I used to have just the braking lines on but from the off with Pcars i haven't had that on and to be fair it's much much better in terms of you are concentrating on the track more rather than arrows on the track surface, if anything the arrows will mis-guide you in terms of your braking point and really only gives you one line through the corner when in reality there's many different lines to take through any corner on a track.
It is just a learning curve at the end of the day and not a big deal once you switch them off and persevere with it, there are so many reference points on track that are far more effective to use and to be honest are a lot easier to use than arrows on track,
Challenge yourself and try it, you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it. ;)

nissan4ever
09-06-2015, 13:41
My thoughts exactly ^^^^^

Sonic6L
09-06-2015, 13:43
Whats so hard about looking for a tree, particular mark on a barrier, or particular part of the black marks on the track for your braking point? Nothing.

You're missing the point. Everyone learns a track/game differently. What's so hard to understand that some people use the line to learn the track and their braking points compared to other people? Nothing. I can see both your point against the lines and other peoples point FOR the line. My point is in regards to people USING the line.

It's like talking to a brick wall.

Dan77 DESTROYER
09-06-2015, 13:51
Hearing you Sonic and understand that but I still say challenge yourself and try it, not as hard as you think it is ;)

Raven403
09-06-2015, 13:52
Yeah, The line is in the game for people to use it, and if its incorrect then it should be fixed. Not sure anyone needs to berate or condescend to anyone for using it. To each their own. The OP just wants the line fine tuned, its not a thread to debate with people who DONT use it. Jesus

Sonic6L
09-06-2015, 13:56
Hearing you Sonic and understand that but I still say challenge yourself and try it, not as hard as you think it is ;)

Truth be told, I tried without out and was off on the second corner at Hockenheim ring! Hard for me currently to race without it as I need more practice with PCars and no racing line, on Forza on the other hand I can race without it because I'm used to the game but I usually just have a braking line on on there as well. Reason being, I have it on so I know where to brake, but I brake that little bit later than where it shows TO brake. If that makes sense? I've been told I'm strange lol.

I play Grid/Toca without any racing lines :). I do need more practice but having the line on is very helpful even though I sort of ignore the braking points. Entry and Exit is similar to the line but I don't use the line for that :).

o Mike V o
09-06-2015, 13:57
I gave up the line last month because it's wrong sometimes, it has made me much better at learning tracks since I have turned it off.

Dan77 DESTROYER
09-06-2015, 14:14
Truth be told, I tried without out and was off on the second corner at Hockenheim ring! Hard for me currently to race without it as I need more practice with PCars and no racing line, on Forza on the other hand I can race without it because I'm used to the game but I usually just have a braking line on on there as well. Reason being, I have it on so I know where to brake, but I brake that little bit later than where it shows TO brake. If that makes sense? I've been told I'm strange lol.

I play Grid/Toca without any racing lines :). I do need more practice but having the line on is very helpful even though I sort of ignore the braking points. Entry and Exit is similar to the line but I don't use the line for that :).

Completely makes sense and I was exactly the same in terms of leaving the braking as late as I could into the red arrow braking zone, I also found (at first) on Pcars racing without them on was very sketchy and had quite a few offs which the first few nights was frustrating but I've stuck with it and it's been very good the more I've practiced,
I'm now at a point where I've got too much confidence at my braking points and I'm braking way to late into some of the corners and causing myself all sorts of grief lol, ultimately though I'm really glad I've turned that off and practiced night after night and now I couldn't dream of going back to using them again.

Sonic6L
09-06-2015, 14:20
Completely makes sense and I was exactly the same in terms of leaving the braking as late as I could into the red arrow braking zone, I also found (at first) on Pcars racing without them on was very sketchy and had quite a few offs which the first few nights was frustrating but I've stuck with it and it's been very good the more I've practiced,
I'm now at a point where I've got too much confidence at my braking points and I'm braking way to late into some of the corners and causing myself all sorts of grief lol, ultimately though I'm really glad I've turned that off and practiced night after night and now I couldn't dream of going back to using them again.

I definitely do need more practice, personally I'd prefer a more accurate braking online line so I can learn from that which I have put in the suggestions thread :). Hopefully with more practice I'll get better :).

Dynomight Motorsports
09-06-2015, 14:20
I raced with a line early in my virtual racing career because I didn't know the track. F1 for example. But I never learned the track better than when I took it off and had to pick out landmarks for my braking zone. PCars makes it easy because it shows the rubber on the racing line and you pick a spot that you know you know you can start braking and still make the corner. I gained so much but learning the tracks without that line, I don't think I could race with it ever again, its just a distraction. On Forza it will really slow you down and its not accurate either.
The fun thing about racing is the Challenge...Seeing what You the Driver can get out of the Car, not what is dictated to you from a line. The more you drive a track the faster you will become, its seat time. Also use your manual gears. I know what gear I'm supposed to be in, in every corner on every track I'm proficient with. That is how you control your corner speeds. I understand this can be difficult if you are using a controller, but you can get a non-FFB wheel for $90 USD, then you are Rock-n-Rolling!

Dan77 DESTROYER
09-06-2015, 14:45
I definitely do need more practice, personally I'd prefer a more accurate braking online line so I can learn from that which I have put in the suggestions thread :). Hopefully with more practice I'll get better :).

You will definatly,

never give up ;)

TrevorAustin
09-06-2015, 15:47
I use it as it's great, for me, when first starting a track, and it is easier to see than brake markers or trees, but can be used exactly the same way.

But mainly I use it as one of the bugs likes to progress my time for me at 25*, so by the time my 15-20 lap formula A race starting at 1pm gets to the last few laps it's pitch black:)

D1rty Duck UK
09-06-2015, 17:29

And whats my nationality got to do with anything?

As for my comment on 'elitist', It's an observation I picked up on when people have said unless your using a wheel then it's not a real sim.

Outlaw Peet
09-06-2015, 17:34
Well without a wheel it is less a sim

nissan4ever
09-06-2015, 18:56
And whats my nationality got to do with anything?

As for my comment on 'elitist', It's an observation I picked up on when people have said unless your using a wheel then it's not a real sim.

Because I've only seen people from UK use that word. Playing a sim based game with a controller is less sim. Just like the post above my post stated as well. It is what it is. Has nothing to do with being a so called "elitist".

I've had quite a few friends finally get a wheel, since this game has launched. They all said the same thing." games like this should be played with a wheel ". They now understand after buying one.

TrevorAustin
09-06-2015, 21:32

oh don't be so elitist, or snobby or patronising. Now what nationality must that be to think that;)

GT_Racing
09-06-2015, 21:33

Yeah that makes sense. The controller changes the game. Who knew? :rolleyes:

nissan4ever
09-06-2015, 23:30
oh don't be so elitist, or snobby or patronising. Now what nationality must that be to think that;)

Alex, I'll take Brazil for $200

Dynomight Motorsports
09-06-2015, 23:44
If you want to get to the nuts and bolts of it, a wheel will make this game as close to racing as you can get without the seat of your pants feel. What do you use a controller to drive with in real life? RC cars... Just saying! Not everyone can afford a wheel, but if you can make that investment you will enjoy this game to the fullest. If that makes me an Elitest, than so be it. I found and awesome deal on a wheel and bought it 3 months before I got the xbox1 because I didn't have the money to get both at the same time. I had a perfectly good Fanatec CSR wheel that would have worked with the PS4, but I wanted to stay with the Xbox. And I love the Thrustmaster TX. Makes the Fanatec feel like a toy almost.

TrevorAustin
10-06-2015, 09:27
Alex, I'll take Brazil for $200

I so wish:)

nissan4ever
10-06-2015, 10:03
I so wish:)

It was a Jeopardy pun, smh

TrevorAustin
10-06-2015, 12:48
It was a Jeopardy pun, smh

I know, still wish it was true, lol.

rtmcginnis
10-06-2015, 12:48
Personally I world like just a static thin line showing the teaching line around the course. I don't want the red/green info.

I never use the racing line, but a simple thin line around the track would be useful to shorten the time to learn new tracks. Put it on for a couple laps then your good.

That or a short 1min flyover video of the tracks, but that obviously takes a lot more resources to develop.

Raven403
10-06-2015, 12:59
The AI give you a decent Idea of where to brake usually, and what line to take, Throw a few AI in a quick race and chase em around, its a nice easy way to learn a new track quick.

DartRalph
11-11-2016, 06:39
I see this topic is "dead" for a while now, but hopefully I will get an answer....
Does the racingline Help with Braking ?
I mean it this way; if you brake much too late, does it "catch" you or slows you Down More, so you still can make the turn ?
I ask this because in our community there is only one person Who uses the Line and he can brake much later than any of us Who doesn't use it.....

Greetz

Roger Prynne
11-11-2016, 10:07
^ The visual racing line is just that, a 'visual aid' and does not help in any other way.

Konan
11-11-2016, 18:16
^ The visual racing line is just that, a 'visual aid' and does not help in any other way.

Yep...but in saying that...it does show you (approximatily) WHEN to brake and how to take the corner (racing line)...:cool:

bradleyland
11-11-2016, 19:49
Yep...but in saying that...it does show you (approximatily) WHEN to brake and how to take the corner (racing line)...:cool:

That depends on the car. I have experimented with the guiding line a lot. I turn it on periodically to see whether my line matches the guiding line, or if there are any areas where my line is just plain dumb (heh, of course it is).

In some cars, the braking point is nowhere near optimal, and I mean several car lengths too shallow in to a corner. For example, LMP1 cars. You can brake many car lengths deeper in to the corner than the guiding line indicates on some corners in some circuits. It depends on whether the corner is at the end of a straight, or in a complex. In any case, it's wildly inconsistent.

I think that is probably what the OP was on about to begin with. The guiding line is less than a suggestion. It's flat out off by a bus length in some cases.

Konan
11-11-2016, 19:53
It's flat out off by a bus length in some cases.

...maybe it was made for busses?...lol

All kidding aside though...the general purpose of a visual racing line is knowing when to brake and how to take a corner as fast as possible...i never use it so i'll take your word for it that it doesn't serve it's purpose with some cars...:cool:

DartRalph
11-11-2016, 21:01
Thanks very much for the info !!👍

Greetz