PDA

View Full Version : Understanding tire pressure setup

CrustyA
12-05-2015, 01:00
I've been doing testing at Watkins short with the Z4 GT3 and experimenting with tire pressures to try and get a handle on how they affect handling, temperature and wear. (Gameplay option tire wear set to Real)

Can someone who knows more confirm/deny these findings?

Lower tire pressure = more heat and less wear
Higher tire pressure = less heat and more wear

Some Profiler results from a couple of 6 lap tests:
The low pressure test was Fronts @ 1.70 bar rears @ 1.60 bar

The high pressure test was Fronts @ 2.40 bar; rears @ 2.31 bar

Shinzah
12-05-2015, 01:24
I'll try to explain this concisely. When you run higher pressures, the tire reaches optimum temperature and maximum internal pressure faster. This makes the tire itself harder and thus causes the tire to gain less overall heat over time by a marginal factor. Racing teams therefore try to pressure the tires with lower initial pressures. The heat will build over time but it takes much longer for the tire to become as hard, the problem is it also takes much longer for the tire to reach maximum grip potential. The lower pressures provide a more consistent wear and grip level over time, with a more consistent speed falloff but have less of an initial speed advantage. (assuming the pressures are used on the same compound tire, multiple compounds gets tricky)

In sprint races and short runs or for qualifying, you'll want to have the higher pressures to get the initial optimum range for fast laps quickly. In stints like endurance racing you'll want the lower pressures to reach an envelope of fast but consistent laptimes over the stint.

This is exactly how things should be working ^^;

CrustyA
12-05-2015, 01:39
gotcha, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info.

TenthDan
12-05-2015, 01:41
I'll try to explain this concisely. When you run higher pressures, the tire reaches optimum temperature and maximum internal pressure faster. This makes the tire itself harder and thus causes the tire to gain less overall heat over time by a marginal factor. Racing teams therefore try to pressure the tires with lower initial pressures. The heat will build over time but it takes much longer for the tire to become as hard, the problem is it also takes much longer for the tire to reach maximum grip potential. The lower pressures provide a more consistent wear and grip level over time, with a more consistent speed falloff but have less of an initial speed advantage. (assuming the pressures are used on the same compound tire, multiple compounds gets tricky)

In sprint races and short runs or for qualifying, you'll want to have the higher pressures to get the initial optimum range for fast laps quickly. In stints like endurance racing you'll want the lower pressures to reach an envelope of fast but consistent laptimes over the stint.

This is exactly how things should be working ^^;

Nice description, and yes, Project CARS simulates the build up of pressure with heat and also once wear factors in temperature fluctuations will be more noticeable as the rubber thins.

danowat
12-05-2015, 08:20
So, if for arguments sake one of your front tyres is overheating too quickly, how would you tune this out?.

hkraft300
12-05-2015, 08:42
So, if for arguments sake one of your front tyres is overheating too quickly, how would you tune this out?.

lower pressure? Camber and caster angle change, maybe?

BugBeaR
12-05-2015, 08:55
First of all, sorry for my english, im not perfect but i try to help you according to my experience.

Tyre overheating could produced by various ways. First i always try is modify my braking points and giving a much "easier" apex to that specific tyre i should look after. The harder you break and turn, the more heat and wear you will generate.
However, if you are making consistent laps and still getting overheat than your first thing to do is look for the car balance. For example, if your break bias is front, then try to put it two click backwards which offload some pressure from your fronts. Also anti roll bar setting could effect your heat by the same reason - putting too much pressure on fronts.

If you want everything remain the same but just want to play with tyre pressure you should go by the following:
Check three area of the tyre if you can. (I don't know if its available in PCars telemetry yet) The inside and the outside of the tyre should be in +/- 5 celsius compared to each other at the back and 7 at the front.

If the middle temperature is too low, you must raise pressure. If the inside of the tyre is overheating, reduce pressure.

For Qual settings use more pressure in tyre as you wont have time to build up heat and you want maximal performance in a minimum of time. But be aware, that you need a good warmup lap and then you can get 2-3 good lap without overhating (which will be ovbious).
Also adjust breaks to this.

For Race: You should consider how you want to build up your tyre strategy. Most of the racers goes by a setup which gives them a constant grip while the tyre reaches it maximum potential only about 75-80% of the race. That could give them spare time for overtaking but still can run consistent laps over the race.

Also please consider: you got fuel load. So over the race, as your fuel consumed by your car, your balance will change so tyre pressure and wear will form according to that. The heavy car at the start require lower pressure tyre and while it gets lighter the tyre should remain hot if you have the optimal settings.

Over the pressure itself, camber and caster settings are the most important factors where you can modify the inner and outer temperatures.
Also consider track temperature.

I hope i helped you a bit.

danowat
12-05-2015, 09:10
Thanks.

One thing I will say, the default setups aren't very good!

donpost
12-05-2015, 09:16
My target is to have the left and right hand tyres at the same pressure once up to temperature (but not necessarily same pressure front to back). This means that on a clockwise track you will want your right pressures slightly higher than your left pressures.

Only thing is I have no idea where you can see what your tyre pressures are while driving - does anyone know?

BugBeaR
12-05-2015, 09:30
My target is to have the left and right hand tyres at the same pressure once up to temperature (but not necessarily same pressure front to back). This means that on a clockwise track you will want your right pressures slightly higher than your left pressures.

Only thing is I have no idea where you can see what your tyre pressures are while driving - does anyone know?

You should change the HUD in game. Bind a key for it in the setup screen and you will see the complete telemetry data during the race. However i recommend you to download a telemetry app where you can see and analyze each corner afterwards.

However your question on pressure in left and right front is not that simple. Its not about clockwise or counter-clockwise track. Count the turns and categorize them into easy medium and hard ones also left and right. Then you will be able to see, where are your tyres overheating and where you will need more grip and also where you car should turn effectively.

But the basic ideal remains the one you wrote - change pressure according to turn number and turn type. :cool:

donpost
12-05-2015, 09:59
You should change the HUD in game. Bind a key for it in the setup screen and you will see the complete telemetry data during the race. However i recommend you to download a telemetry app where you can see and analyze each corner afterwards.

However your question on pressure in left and right front is not that simple. Its not about clockwise or counter-clockwise track. Count the turns and categorize them into easy medium and hard ones also left and right. Then you will be able to see, where are your tyres overheating and where you will need more grip and also where you car should turn effectively.

But the basic ideal remains the one you wrote - change pressure according to turn number and turn type. :cool:

Unfortunately tyre pressure doesn't seem to show on the telemetry HUD or any of the telemetry apps (not in the API apparently) :(

BugBeaR
12-05-2015, 11:35
Unfortunately tyre pressure doesn't seem to show on the telemetry HUD or any of the telemetry apps (not in the API apparently) :(

It does. When you changed your HUD to telemetry mode, you will see each tyre and three number above them. Accordingly you are able to monitor the inner / middel / outter temperatures. Also you'll see the temperature of the breaks and the traction of the tyres.

Here you can see from this YT screenshot what im talking about.

CazzaK77
18-05-2015, 17:26
I'm on PS4. Where can I find telemetry summary???

yusupov
18-05-2015, 17:33
6 laps, 1% wear, imo that has to be broken...

NocDevon
18-05-2015, 17:37
where did you get that report from

yusupov
18-05-2015, 17:39
http://www.tomshane.cz/profiler/

NocDevon
18-05-2015, 17:49
what.. wait.. what... so there is no telemetry in this "made by race fans" game????

SeaTac
18-05-2015, 18:05
It does. When you changed your HUD to telemetry mode, you will see each tyre and three number above them. Accordingly you are able to monitor the inner / middel / outter temperatures. Also you'll see the temperature of the breaks and the traction of the tyres.

Here you can see from this YT screenshot what im talking about.

I see temperature but no pressure. Which number is the tire pressure?

Outlier
18-05-2015, 18:07
not sure on PS4 but I believe left on the dpad for xbox one is the default button for Telemetry. (at least that is where i have it mapped now)

CazzaK77
18-05-2015, 18:28
http://www.tomshane.cz/profiler/

this link work for ps4 players too i.e. cross platform? Anyone know?
Great game but documentation poor and Console players a bit behind...

yusupov
18-05-2015, 18:32
no unfortunately its PC only bc its independently made & the guy cant access ps4 or xb1, only devs can.

i have seen several console users comment about this tho so dont be afraid to bring it up to SMS & they may make it compatible

Ch1ps N Queso
18-05-2015, 18:34
this link work for ps4 players too i.e. cross platform? Anyone know?
Great game but documentation poor and Console players a bit behind...

PC Only.

NocDevon
18-05-2015, 19:18
I have to assume that since the brake temp is in C that the tire temp is also in C??
If thats the case then my tires get to optimal temp in the first straight? Hell they start at 77 degrees..wtf.

NocDevon
18-05-2015, 19:23
I've been doing testing at Watkins short with the Z4 GT3 and experimenting with tire pressures to try and get a handle on how they affect handling, temperature and wear. (Gameplay option tire wear set to Real)

Can someone who knows more confirm/deny these findings?

Lower tire pressure = more heat and less wear
Higher tire pressure = less heat and more wear

Some Profiler results from a couple of 6 lap tests:
The low pressure test was Fronts @ 1.70 bar rears @ 1.60 bar

The high pressure test was Fronts @ 2.40 bar; rears @ 2.31 bar

I am really confused at this, you say your high pressure was set to 2.40 bar, buy yet your PSI shows at a min of 102. That cant be right, 2.40 bar would be equal to about 34-35 psi as the initial setting. So is that a minimum average? How would you average and average.. doesnt make sense.

NocDevon
18-05-2015, 20:19
Ok, so the units are in F. So I lowered the tire pressure and go the tires up to 186 degrees and the car handled like a champ. Now I am going to tweak that along with the caster and camber, toe and brakes. I am starting to like this game a little more now... thanks.

Shinzah
18-05-2015, 21:05
I am really confused at this, you say your high pressure was set to 2.40 bar, buy yet your PSI shows at a min of 102. That cant be right, 2.40 bar would be equal to about 34-35 psi as the initial setting. So is that a minimum average? How would you average and average.. doesnt make sense.

I believe you are confused. Nowhere in the images does it show the PSI pressure. The number you're quoting is from the tire rps calculation.

Crashman
18-05-2015, 21:25
For example I have been driving on Brands Hatch. My left front tyre has a difference between inner-outer temperature 4-5 degrees. Left rear have a difference 3-4. So it is normal. But my right tyres have only 1 degrees celsius difference or don't have it at all. I suppose it happens due to right turns majority on this track? Should I use assymetrical right-left camber setup to correct it?

NocDevon
18-05-2015, 22:02
I believe you are confused. Nowhere in the images does it show the PSI pressure. The number you're quoting is from the tire rps calculation.

Yup, your right... I was confused and blind.
Sorry

Dam351
26-05-2015, 06:44
I'm not sure about Z4 as its GT3 and I might have read that wear is slower. So here's what I know as of 1 hr ago. Z4 Brands indy 51 laps no pit. My friend did this to win his first race, beating myself (pitted lap @30, I needed fuel and don't think I changed tyres that stop or any repairs) although several other randomly joining players had chosen to have a dishonourable discharge earlier on in the race. PROJECT CARS- TOO MUCH FUN! I came 2nd and still am feeling great about to start another one. :)

donpost
26-05-2015, 09:01
Here is a C+P from the thread in my signature where I did some tyre pressure vs. temperature testing. Hope it's relevant here :)

Did some more testing with the Aston Martin GT4 at Watkins Short. Default front tyre pressures are 1.70 bar. I adjusted the FL only (the hot one) and noted the max temperature I saw when warmed up.

Pressure (bar)
Max temp

Yes, there really was a massive leap between 1.60 and 1.65 pressure - I even double checked it to be sure.

EDIT: I guess it makes sense for the temp to go up wildly like that. If the pressure is too low, the tyre heats up more, which increases the pressure so it's closer to 'optimal'. Whereas if the pressure is too high, the temperature goes up, which makes the pressure go up even more, which makes the temperature go up some more...etc

MULTIVITZ
27-05-2015, 20:18
You'll find if your shocks are giving the tyres a hard time after a while you'll get temperature run away with some cars. Could be over or under damping or poor ARB adjustment or too low ride hieght. Skipping tyres also heat the edges. Sometimes its better to go with medium compound if available. GT cars are easier though. I'm still getting to grips with the telemetry, but I find orange rings means rapid heating. No slip rings means your hooked up good:cool:

MABlosfeld
28-05-2015, 21:27
I've been trying to change the tire pressure and the angle of camber but is not taking effect
what am I doing wrong?

MULTIVITZ
29-05-2015, 00:38
You may have a too softer ARB or the front bound maybe too low. Don't over do the camber, if it turns in then washes out, could be a sign its too low. The caster effects turning in(forget about stability) and the wippy feel you get from the steering! Braking into corners is effected by your chosen caster. Adjust the shocks to allow movement then aim for a steady ride. Get the back up on soft springs, too high and it will drift out entering corners. Some cars wont be effected but it puts wieght on the front wheels.
Drive hard don't slide once the tyres are warm. Once it drives fair on cold slicks, start speeding up and look at the cars body angle and bounce. Is it controlled, could you reduce the slow and increase the fast damping ? Look at the chase view, see how it drops down a kerb, adjust and look again.
bound reduces how far the spring moves when hit, this has an effect like increasing rebound becausd the spring now has less energy to return! You'll get scuttle shake if you increase the fast bound too far.
Get it right and you'll hit kerbs without the drama, and be able to flick it in.
You're gonna be good next week.:cool:

MULTIVITZ
29-05-2015, 01:08
If the suspension isn't working with the tyre 2 things will happen, wheel hop, sliding force before the car has leaned (completed the wieght tranfer from other areas and springs). Both will make it slide eventually. If the geometry isn't working then you'll lose camber thrust from any wheel and have a reduced contact patch effectiveness. The car will lose stability as well. Remeber when you brake the back end goes up and the rear neg camber reduces! Try low rear camber first to get accel grip then try and use as little increase as needed for rear end stability when hard trail braking.
Yeah boiyeee.

MULTIVITZ
29-05-2015, 01:33
I know this thread is about tyres, I want people to see the relationship between the suspension and tyre. Tyre pressures are a result of how hot the rubbers going to get if theres not enoigh air it is too soft and gets too hot and can even collaps for a split secound making the car jerk and at a low speed it will leave the road, no questions asked.
Tooo hard a pressure and you may notice that squirmy noise has gone. The car turns in efficiently but as rubber temp and speed rise you get temperature run away, same as a too low a pressure, but more likely to slide off the road when pushed.
Roasting tyres=faster wear, not necessarily lose of grip. Tyres lose heat to the air and road.
Just some of the problems you may get told, in a different way. I don't think it theres mistakes, but I can clarify for the confused or smart assisst

miagi
29-05-2015, 01:56
With high tire pressure the contact patch of the tire is reduced. Leading to a higher pressure in the contact patch of the tire, making it easier to build up heat in the tire surface. But the carcass get lower deformation, so less heat from inside the rubber.
Lower tire pressure(to a certain limit) increases the contact patch, producing lower peak pressure in the contact patch, giving more grip esp longitudinally and getting less skid. The surface runs a bit cooler but the carcass is getting more deformation, so the tire gets more heat from inside the rubber.

How the tire reacts to lower or higher tire pressure also depends on the carcass structure. How stiff or soft the belt is and esp for cornering and initial turn in how big the apex is. If you increase the tire pressure you may hit a point where the car skids too much an the tires overheat because of that.

How a tire heats up also depends on what is in the compound. Silica makes is easier to heat up and has higher resistance to wear(most wet tires relay on Silica in the compound), but on a dry track for a race tire, carbon black is still the first choice.

General tire pressure behavior should be that with more tire pressure it creates less lateral force on lower wheel load resp. lower slip angel. And more lateral force on higher wheel load resp. slip angel. Meaning, with more pressure there is more grip on the limit but less on turn in. And all the other way around with reducing tire pressure.

MULTIVITZ
29-05-2015, 02:04
If the tyre wants more air give it some you should be able to push on it harder.
If your car won't turn increase the front springs and increase the rebound to hold it when leaned over, too much slows directional change. Too much rear rebound will eventually make the front brakes lock very easily but before thats possible under steer, keep going n youll see over steer, keep going and you'll get fish tailing. Infact a too weak rear ARB can cause this(its not controlling enough when the rear springs release their stored energy) or a too stiff rear ARB, it is a spring, boingy spring that need damping too! Or does it do the damping? That depends on its linkage position design.
Thats how I see some of the commen problems, your car will have a mix of these most certainly. Remember springs move the car, nothing happens usually until energy is released from them, ok?

MULTIVITZ
29-05-2015, 02:10
Hot rubber indeed!

For tuning high downforce cars and specials. It dependends on the vehicles requirements it was designed for. Lots of hidden factors compound the decisions made in the handling setup.

All cars in this game have good tyre models that represent EVERY aspect of tyre behaviour the WMD member Miagi has stated, for every car. Thats what we're experiencing in Pc

FACT0RY PIL0T
29-05-2015, 04:49
Ok here is what im wondering. In TT what time of day is it at the diffrent tracks. I want to build setups but in TT it starts at lets say 246 for temp and jumps to 262, and the best grip seems to be at 231? And free practice I only get to 252 with the same exact setup? So 10deg less its so random, and yes I know, well it depends on the day etc etc, but something just seems off. If theres a thread about the tire diffrences from mode to mode point me there.

jake92
29-05-2015, 11:37
My temperatures are higher when raising pressure, and vice versa, in the RUF GT3

transfix
29-05-2015, 11:46
Some great info in here for anyone trying to get a grip (pun intended) on tire pressure.

mcarver2000
29-05-2015, 12:21
Tire pressure can also affect the spring rate of the car. More pressure, the harder the tire, the stiffer the spring rate affect. Less pressure, the softer the tire, the softer the spring rate affect.

http://www.carlosparacio.com/how-to-adjust-tire-pressure-for-performance/

MULTIVITZ
29-05-2015, 23:50
It effects the frequency, the ride height is effected as is the dynamic camber, but the suspension controls the time and direction of weight and forces the tyres see as they're sandwiched between the road and car. I wouldn't call it rate, its too varied to put a value to and you get carcass damping designs too which reduce the spring effect of the air. On a racing circuit the tyre pressure has to support the side wall and keep the tyre beading in the wheel well(thats what everyone calls it!)at the point of heaviest load experienced on that circuit when at operating temperature.
The article in the above link is for setting up tyres, not to adjust the ' spring rate' of a tyre for other reasons. Tyre manufactures are VERY fussy about calling a tyre a spring, its a carefully engineered component. Thanks for reading.

transfix
30-05-2015, 00:46
It's crazy to see how the littlest of adjustments can be felt immediately. Never thought I would have a true sim experience on a console. Surely bringing out the tuning junkie in me. LOL

MABlosfeld
30-05-2015, 13:30
when I change the fine tuning of the car:
A) lap times are affected
B) but do not feel change in driving

20 cars running for 90 minutes leave much rubber on the track.
QUESTION: How it affects driving the car?

MABlosfeld
30-05-2015, 13:44
You should have an option to import fine-tune setup of other drivers
help people to develop their own fine adjustments
fine adjustment is complex and takes time to learn
there are few players who have conditions to learn
is a good incentive because it makes the most competitive players
driving will be more fun and professional.

miagi
31-05-2015, 01:30
My temperatures are higher when raising pressure, and vice versa, in the RUF GT3
Yeah, why not, read my post again ---> #36 (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23950-Understanding-tire-pressure-setup&p=952083&viewfull=1#post952083)

pj_28_
01-06-2015, 01:19
Ok I have read a bunch of threads because I am admittedly clueless on how to set up cars in games. My question is will tire wear matter at all in Kart races? I started out my career at the low level just to get used to the courses and racing in general and I am up to the 250 superkarts. It doesn't seem to matter what pressure I set the tires at my rear left will get red but I won't have any ill effects no matter how hard I drive. Are those races (15 laps) just so short that tire wear doesn't matter at all?

rocafella1978
23-07-2015, 20:34
anyone seen this and what do you think? (positive/ negative? good or bad tutorials?)

Project C.A.R.S - Tuning Guide Part 2A: Tyres and Brakes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQF1poJshJo
Project CARS - Tuning Tutorial - Tyres - Brakes and Traction Slip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCgGnS5qUWQ

hkraft300
24-07-2015, 03:16
Seen them. They're good as an introduction, but I think pCars tire model is much too complex with variable conditions for tire pressure effects to be explained in a 5-minute video. Maybe there are more pCars tuning guide videos being released eg advanced tuning/ case studies that cover the topic.

Either way, testing and doing laps is the best way to go. Car behaviour on worn tires is a different ball game again...

jimmyb_84
24-07-2015, 13:47
Seen them. They're good as an introduction, but I think pCars tire model is much too complex with variable conditions for tire pressure effects to be explained in a 5-minute video. Maybe there are more pCars tuning guide videos being released eg advanced tuning/ case studies that cover the topic.

Either way, testing and doing laps is the best way to go. Car behaviour on worn tires is a different ball game again...

All I ever seem to do on this game is test, not that I'm complaining actually quite enjoy it.

Warn tyres are a different ball game, once I've actually driven all the GT3 cars and got baseline setups that's my next job

AdM1
25-07-2015, 00:56
Mine go red faster with lower pressures..

rocafella1978
20-08-2015, 14:02
since release of game i have not figured out what to set 4x tire pressures to for night racing in GT4 and GT3 classes, no matter what pressure and what compound, 1.5 to 2.5 bar, tire temps drop after 2-3x laps to under 80 degress celsius...struggle keeping them at temp, start sliding and pushing into corners and out of corners with wheel spin to keep temps up, I can't imagine it is that bad at night for temps..i knownit is cooler and yes effects it, but not being able to keep even mid 80's or close to 90's...hmm hmm hmm! very strange!

jimmyb_84
20-08-2015, 16:37
since release of game i have not figured out what to set 4x tire pressures to for night racing in GT4 and GT3 classes, no matter what pressure and what compound, 1.5 to 2.5 bar, tire temps drop after 2-3x laps to under 80 degress celsius...struggle keeping them at temp, start sliding and pushing into corners and out of corners with wheel spin to keep temps up, I can't imagine it is that bad at night for temps..i knownit is cooler and yes effects it, but not being able to keep even mid 80's or close to 90's...hmm hmm hmm! very strange!

Without testing it properly yet I'd run softest compound with low temps, I'd also where possible run with closed brake ducts to retain heat from the brakes into the wheels. If I get a chance I'll do some testing Le Mans and Monza will be the worst for tyre temps through the night.

Maybe there is a solution within camber angle too.

hkraft300
20-08-2015, 16:45
So what if it is low 80c ? Your lap times are probably slower at night. Even if your pace is same, you are doing well to keep your temps so close. What I think from your description that I also find strange is scrubbing the tires don't do much to increase temp.
I don't think pressures have a huge effect until they are significantly high/low, but at such pressures the car feels bad to drive anyway. Instead of scrubbing to try increase temps, just drive as fast as you can =)

Something that may be of interest to you: I drove in the rain for 15+ laps RuF GT3 with <75c tire temp and the car didn't drive significantly worse or have much worse tire wear. Rain tires at low temp is different to cold slicks at night. But unless it's slowing you a lot, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

rocafella1978
20-08-2015, 17:05
thanks guys for all the great replies and ideas, will test some more and figure it out. and yes very correct, at night slower pace anyways for sure, about 1-2secs (could that be? or way too slow?) just curious, and the problem is when the tires fall and fall off temp, become blue, and you start sliding, rather than driving...and i have tested this so far with 2-3x GT3 vehicles and 2x GT4 vehicles, somehow at least strange for me that have identical symptoms. (i looked at settings, cars were at 40% brake ducts) will have to test some more and figure it out, since I know or think, too low of pressure can wear tire out quicker? since less air/ more surface, but also wearing out rubber quicker? correct?
and more air/ pressure, takes longer for tire to heat up, but air in tire then actually does warm up and tire works but also less surface/ less grip???

MrFlibble81
20-08-2015, 17:49
thanks guys for all the great replies and ideas, will test some more and figure it out. and yes very correct, at night slower pace anyways for sure, about 1-2secs (could that be? or way too slow?) just curious, and the problem is when the tires fall and fall off temp, become blue, and you start sliding, rather than driving...and i have tested this so far with 2-3x GT3 vehicles and 2x GT4 vehicles, somehow at least strange for me that have identical symptoms. (i looked at settings, cars were at 40% brake ducts) will have to test some more and figure it out, since I know or think, too low of pressure can wear tire out quicker? since less air/ more surface, but also wearing out rubber quicker? correct?
and more air/ pressure, takes longer for tire to heat up, but air in tire then actually does warm up and tire works but also less surface/ less grip???

I believe you are correct yes. Less tire pressure = more grip but hotter tires so they wear out quicker. Vice versa for higher tire pressure.

Like anything with a race setup there's always going to be a pay off with something else. It's just finding a setup you like and rolling with it. That's what I do anyway! haha.

hkraft300
21-08-2015, 01:10
Closed brake ducts do help maintain tire temp - heat from brakes conducts to tires and this is simulated in the game.

nhitrac
23-08-2015, 06:21
Is it ok to have different pressure for all four corners to maintain similar temps across all four?

I assume temp would be more important than having the same pressure in your tyres... But don't know if this would have any negative impact for the long straights?

rams1de
23-08-2015, 06:53
Yes.

The pressure in each tyre will increase with heat in any case and will change as you drive. Since patch 3.0 the effect can be seen as the telemetry now includes a pressure reading.

hkraft300
23-08-2015, 06:59
Is it ok to have different pressure for all four corners to maintain similar temps across all four?

I assume temp would be more important than having the same pressure in your tyres... But don't know if this would have any negative impact for the long straights?

Test it out, bud. I personally stick to symmetrical setups. I've seen fast guys run 4 different pressures and cambers at each corner for a GT3 car.
Instead of playing with the pressures much I tend to concentrate more on temps and wear rates. I try to balance left/ right temps by playing with sway bars and front/rear with brake bias. The latter with more success.
Honestly I have little idea what tire pressures the different cars should run - in a night I'll drive everything from FC to LMP1/ group 5/ GT4... Now that we have more extensive telemetry you can analyse on the fly. "Work" load of each tire, pressure and temperature are interlinked - so balance each to achieve the desired effects of optimal grip and tire life.