PDA

View Full Version : Formula A engine sound briefly cutting out with each shift?

ammonthenephite
12-05-2015, 03:23
Not sure if anyone else has this minor issue, but for some reason every time I shift in the Formula A car, the engine sound completely cuts out for a tenth of a second or two. Its very brief, but very unnatural and a little immersion breaking. Seems to do it everywhere for me. Anyone else experience this?

smithy
12-05-2015, 20:49
Hi ammonthenephite,

I think you'll find it's quite normal, the gearboxes aren't automatic as such, they are manual boxes which are shifted electronically via the shift paddles and engine management system....in the real world F1 cars cut the ignition for a very short time to "unload the gearbox" so the gears can change without stressing anything, most sequential type gearboxes use this method. The motorcycle riders among us know exactly what this is too....we will throttle-off for short time to allow "clutchless" up-changes.

I hope this helps explain things for you..Of course I stand corrected but I believe this is close to what happens.

Cheers,
smithy.

F1Aussie
13-05-2015, 00:53
F1 are seamless shift so essentially there us no break in power delivery. I have noticed the same thing ever before purchase when watching youtube vids, it is a bit unnatural or not well implemented

fazlee712
13-05-2015, 01:49
same thing happens for me in some GT3 cars (Z4 noticeably,) the engine noise completely goes away – it doesn't 'rev down' or anything when shifting it just gets muted for the duration of the shift then comes back at full volume.

ammonthenephite
13-05-2015, 02:09
the engine noise completely goes away – it doesn't 'rev down' or anything

Cool, good to know its not just me. Its not a reduction in noise or power, its complete silent during the shift. I'm familiar with the 'lifting off' when shifting, its something I did in shitfter karting, but with this there is simply zero sound whatsoever. Modern f1 cars shift in about 0.05 seconds, and this break in sound is 2-4 times as long. Hope they can get it sorted as it is kind of immersion breaking.

ChipWood
13-05-2015, 03:11
Happens to me when it red lines. Its not like engine dying its like the audio is cutting