PDA

View Full Version : Get a cheap wheel circa 60 or stick with controller

Pablo2008jedi
12-05-2015, 07:14
I've put in 15 hours so far in game, I've played most racing games with a controller but I have a feeling the game would be better with a wheel. But I'm unwilling to save for and spend 200 for one game.

So the question is, is buying a cheap wheel worth it?

msmith1
12-05-2015, 09:29
I'm in the same boat mate, I do want one with ffb which as I can gather the t100 is the cheapest, but at 100+ it still seems alot for me.

martinm1289
12-05-2015, 11:07
I was in your boat mate, and I know I will sound like a broken record as all wheel owners will say the same but its worth spending the money. When I first looked into it and seen the costs I was like, holy....but then after a lot of reading, advice etc I saved up and bought the thrustmaster t300 and honestly it's worth every penny. I would not advice getting a wheel without FFB, which is what you would be looking at for 60. The FFB is what makes the wheel so good to use.

Pablo2008jedi
12-05-2015, 11:15
Ah, ok the T100 seems to be the next cheapest option with FBB then.. problem is I'd need to shell out for a stand too which is another 80-100. I just need to wait ad see how the game progresses before sinking in more money. Most of the racing I'll be doing is offline as my gaming sessions are too unpredictable to do proper online events.

martinm1289
12-05-2015, 11:52
The t100 does seem to be the next option, then there is a big jump in price. Yeah the stand is another annoying cost to consider I bought this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steering-Wheel-Stand-for-Logitech-G25-G27-Logitech-Driving-Force-GT-PS3-PS4-/161696951374?
It's quite a bit cheaper than most others so that's why I went for it. The build quality isn't amazing, it's slightly wobbly and doesn't feel too sturdy BUT it does the job. I am not sure if it's even available though anymore as that link is expired.

Feetabix
12-05-2015, 11:57
The quality will remain long after the price is forgotten......using a good wheel is night and day when you compare it to using the pad for everyone with more than a passing interest in a lap time.......:)

dwalldorf
12-05-2015, 14:14
I had the same problem for quite some time (when playing GT6) and I too did not want to spend that much money on a "toy". But after about 10.000 reviews, review-videos, gaming-videos and also trying and touching different wheels in different stores, I figured it's worth the money. I went for the T300 GTE just last week and I'm absolutely stunned. It just feels nice and not like it will fall apart after a few hours of heavy gaming. The FFB is superb, pedals are ok. It is compatible to PC, PS3/4, XBox and upgradable with some other stuff from Thrustmaster.

So yea, it really is a shitload of money but if you feel the urge to invest just one dollar, go for something that will fit you for the next years, instead of spending a 100$ now, and a 400$ next year.

Slicker_VR
12-05-2015, 14:19
don't waste your time and money on a cheap wheel - get a t300rs or t500rs if you want to play this game as it should be is my advice

Forbiddenracer
12-05-2015, 14:50
I got the T80 if you can live without force feedback it's a good wheel and makes it a lot easier to drive and pick your lines...cost me 65.

hol
12-05-2015, 14:50
A decent wheel will be a great investment if driving games are your passion.

dwalldorf
12-05-2015, 15:00
I got the T80 if you can live without force feedback it's a good wheel and makes it a lot easier to drive and pick your lines...cost me 65.

Until you start driving without traction control etc. You won't be able to feel what the car is doing without FFB. So yes, for playing some car games, it might be ok.
If you want to really get into it, drive for hours, fight for the last hundredth second, get a feel for the different cars, you will have a limited time of fun without FFB.

Chocoloco
12-05-2015, 19:33
You could also get a used wheel from ebay or something. I bought a used Momo a couple of months ago for around 90€ (which is pretty much for such an old wheel I guess but the cheapest available at that time). It's my first wheel and since I got figured out how to set it up properly, driving with it brings a huuuuge smile to my face. Seriously. Was worth every penny. Two days ago I ordered a T 500 RS for testing. Really excited what that's capable of. Ffb wheels are like crack. The Momo got me hooked and now I need some harder stuff. :D

BigDipper
12-05-2015, 20:22
Ah, ok the T100 seems to be the next cheapest option with FBB then.. problem is I'd need to shell out for a stand too which is another 80-100. I just need to wait ad see how the game progresses before sinking in more money. Most of the racing I'll be doing is offline as my gaming sessions are too unpredictable to do proper online events.

Just as many people i'm thinkin about getting a wheel.
Dont know jet if its going to be the T100 or the T300 depends on the mood of my girlfriend :)
But i'm going to build my wheel stand from scrap.
Just google DIY wheel stand and you will find enough options you can afford.

bent_toe
12-05-2015, 20:35
Any wheel is better than a DS4 when playing racing games.
I got the Playseat challenge, a matt and a Thrustmaster T80 and i'm perfectly satisfied with it. It's no "pro" gear but it does the job and adds 100% fun. It did set me back $400 though... :/

lordymatsuo
12-05-2015, 21:11
you can get the t100 with FFB frm Argos for 90 or keep your eye on amazon they keep popping up for 75 new but they sell out fast.

I have a T100 and to be honest there is something wrong with the handling, read my post here

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24263-PS4-Problems-using-Thrustmaster-T100-FFB&p=903578#post903578

I switched back to a gamepad after 10 hours and all the problems of twitching went away so it's the wheel / game somehow. I have seen half a dozen threads tonight with dozens of people saying the same thing so for me it's back to gamepad until they fix it and I'm returning my T100 to Argos under teh 14 day Guarentee :)

IrideGravity
13-05-2015, 22:25
I had the $100 DFGT from ps2 gran turismo days & it still works. Had to get a t300 for this gen & I'm so happy I did.
The $100 upgrade/t100 makes a world of difference, both in control and feel. The difference in the t300 is huge, much faster wheel that returns to center much faster and feels much more like a real car. You won't regret investing whatever you can afford into a quality input device. It will elevate the experience and sense of control immensely. Feel bad for people trying to race a wheel user with a pad and assists.

Xx-Rickdj82-Xx
14-08-2015, 13:52
I've got a t100 for sale it has had hours of use and works great with project cars my only issue with it was the accelerator pedal springs snapped so I had to fix them as the place I got it from was out of stock so could not exchange the t100. I brought the wheel at same time project cars was released so it still has warranty and I could send it back but the pedals work fine now and I have brought a spare set I got from eBay if they brake again, if interested pm me, I also have a dfgt for sale in great condition for any pc xbox users, I've upgraded to a G29 as I was enjoying project cars so much with the t100 I thought it was worth shelling out for.

Mr.Smoke
14-08-2015, 14:16
As others have said, if you are thinking of getting a wheel, get a good one. The T80 and T100 are literally childrens toys IMO. I had a T100 and put about 150 hours on it with pCARS before the accelerator pedal springs broke, like the other guy just above. Got an entire T100 replacement from TM and decided i wanted something more durable, reliable & robust, so i went with the G29.

I seriously considered the T300 as well, but the included pedals are internally identical to the T100 pedals, so adding the T3PA or pro pedals would be necessary as well as a different rim. With those added costs i couldnt justify the T300 as that stuff comes included in the G29. The icing on the cake was all the reported issues people are having with the T300 wheels. I wanted something which i felt would provide hundreds, if not thousands or uninterupted gaming enjoyment. With the known reliability of older Logitech wheels & the fact the G29 has basicalky the same tech inside, the choice was clear & easy.

Any wheel will certainly improve your experience, but you (usually) get what you pay for. If you buy an inexpensive wheel, dont expect a top quality product that will last for years & years.

Dizeaz
14-08-2015, 14:42
Until you start driving without traction control etc. You won't be able to feel what the car is doing without FFB. So yes, for playing some car games, it might be ok.
If you want to really get into it, drive for hours, fight for the last hundredth second, get a feel for the different cars, you will have a limited time of fun without FFB.

I have plenty of fun with my T80...some of us just can't afford hundreds of dollars. Or as in my case.. some of us can't afford to anger the wife that much lol

John Hargreaves
14-08-2015, 20:12
Unless you have actually tried one, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to assume that spending as much on a wheel as you did on the whole console is insane. However, if you ask anyone who has bought a decent wheel if they regret it, I would imagine very few people would ever go back.
A good, big, screen and a decent wheel transforms a good race sim beyond anything you would imagine.

So, toss up between a 50 DS4 and a 50 wheel, go for the wheel.
If you can, spend more and get a good wheel, you are unlikely to regret it unless your wife or GF finds out how much it cost.

I used a 50 wheel with the first great console sim, Richard Burns Rally, and it was well worth it until the PC version came along.

Skrillex
15-08-2015, 00:14
I have the t100 no its not the greatest but it has ffb and its fairly cheap for a ffb wheel. The t300 is WAY over priced and I wasn't willing to spend that kind of money on a wheel that has broken down for a great number of people within 2 months of use. I would love the Logitech g29 but I had a dfgt that worked great that I was unable to use for ps4 so I will wait until the price drops before I spend the money to get one. So to recap the t100 is not the best but for a ffb wheel it works great for someone on a budget and it beats using a controller hands down.

arthurino
15-08-2015, 05:44
There is one major problem with upgrading to a high end wheel that is often overlooked...if you have more than a passive interest in driving/racing games you will likely find it soon becoming an all consuming passion...button boxes, shifters, pedal mods, rigs...more will never be enough. I started with a t80 and it was amusing and fun then I read about FFB and was like...what the? You mean you can feel the road and tire forces?!? I sprung for a t300 and it was game changing...my wheel died 8 months later and with it a part of me...you've been warned...it will consume you.

bodyshop
15-08-2015, 06:46

Well i can 'feel' it as you say perfectly fine on my Spider TX, most of the time the FFB is rubbish anyway just search this forum for that info....