PDA

View Full Version : I so frustrated!!!! .. and I'm loving it!!

Pablo2008jedi
12-05-2015, 07:26
Last night i was doing a 30mins race (reduced real time), day -> night changes. Had a bad qualifying and ended up 20/20 :( Then I practiced and practiced and practiced for Race day!

beep, beep, beeeeeeep Go Go Go! Racing was fun, I got to 6th place I was fallowing 5th place for a few laps trying to find a place to pace, lap after lap after lap. Finally! He makes a mistake I get passed! As I was in much delight as I zoomed passed.... I missed the next braking point....offf I go in to the gravel.... Re-joined in 10th...pushing hard to regain my previous place, I started missing braking points....then another spout of oversteer but corrected... Car is getting twichy..uh oh.. tyres shot need to pit and re-fuel. While in the pits I had to take deep breaths try and focus... ended up 13th.

It's fun, this is racing, this is how it has to be. I didn't quit and restart the race, I manned up. I took the result.

Some laps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FJy_nWoZUo

MysterG
12-05-2015, 07:30
Nice story :cool:

Padmod
12-05-2015, 07:33
Yep! Racing isn't always about winning. I find games with rewind mechanics really prevent this sort of experience, always pressuring you to retry that corner or that overtake. In this game mistakes matter, and that's why I love it!

HeeseyChelmet
12-05-2015, 07:52
same exactly the same. Couldve smashed the telly on friday/ saturday. Come saturday night/ sunday I was amazed

Pablo2008jedi
12-05-2015, 08:04
Yep! Racing isn't always about winning. I find games with rewind mechanics really prevent this sort of experience, always pressuring you to retry that corner or that overtake. In this game mistakes matter, and that's why I love it!

Yeah I have to agree, I used to play Grid Autosport on the PC and I will admit to have used the rewind mechanic. So glad its not in pCARS. I got so annoyed with myself as I spent many hours practicing the car and track only to have let myself down with a silly lack of concentration.

My next step is to switch off "Allow Restarts" when entering an event ;-) as I decided not to use it.

Revvin
12-05-2015, 08:20
Last night i was doing a 30mins race (reduced real time), day -> night changes. Had a bad qualifying and ended up 20/20 :( Then I practiced and practiced and practiced for Race day!

beep, beep, beeeeeeep Go Go Go! Racing was fun, I got to 6th place I was fallowing 5th place for a few laps trying to find a place to pace, lap after lap after lap. Finally! He makes a mistake I get passed! As I was in much delight as I zoomed passed.... I missed the next braking point....offf I go in to the gravel.... Re-joined in 10th...pushing hard to regain my previous place, I started missing braking points....then another spout of oversteer but corrected... Car is getting twichy..uh oh.. tyres shot need to pit and re-fuel. While in the pits I had to take deep breaths try and focus... ended up 13th.

It's fun, this is racing, this is how it has to be. I didn't quit and restart the race, I manned up. I took the result.

Some laps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FJy_nWoZUo

I'm not the fastest racer by any stretch of the imagination and when I used to run a league in iRacing I was often mid pack scrapping it out online but it was great fun and close racing. I agree games with the rewind option can sometimes rob you of a fun race and I had to reset my own mind-set going into PCars after playing games like Forza 5 where I got into a habit of rewinding not just for crashes but for poor cornering as the races are so short you don't get time to catch up.

dwalldorf
12-05-2015, 11:03
Cool storry bro ;)

That's exactly why I think, pCARS is a nice sim. You cannot jump back in time for things like trying that corner again. But also, if you really fuck up, crash into another driver or get off the track, you have to deal with it. Give your best, try to catch up and be as good as you can. That's how racing is in the real world, that's how it should be in sims :)

Andycoupe
12-05-2015, 12:02
This what I like to hear. Love the racing in this

BigDipper
12-05-2015, 12:03
I'm always driving in the middle of the pack and my friends drive in front but I have as much fun as they do.
I drive my own race and have my own struggle.
For me the most important thing is that I get better at what I'm doing.
Race on and have fun that's what's it about.

PerFixAlot
12-05-2015, 12:16
I'm always driving in the middle of the pack and my friends drive in front but I have as much fun as they do.
I drive my own race and have my own struggle.
For me the most important thing is that I get better at what I'm doing.
Race on and have fun that's what's it about.

I wonder what it would look like if classic sports were invented now.. imagine the first people showing up for basket ball/volleyball/football(soccer)/etc games, insisting on getting a 2nd try every time something is not perfect..
And 90% of the people quitting if they are not in the top 3 of their team.

I guess part of the online gaming problem is that we lack a lot of the personal interaction and the social scene, were in a classic sports situation you would have more social context, physical cues (eye contact, body posture, facial expressions, etc), and shared environment (which results in shared attention, looking to others for references). Are there any online games out there that are even close to compensate for these missing elements?

dwalldorf
12-05-2015, 12:37
I wonder what it would look like if classic sports were invented now.. imagine the first people showing up for basket ball/volleyball/football(soccer)/etc games, insisting on getting a 2nd try every time something is not perfect..
And 90% of the people quitting if they are not in the top 3 of their team.

I guess part of the online gaming problem is that we lack a lot of the personal interaction and the social scene, were in a classic sports situation you would have more social context, physical cues (eye contact, body posture, facial expressions, etc), and shared environment (which results in shared attention, looking to others for references). Are there any online games out there that are even close to compensate for these missing elements?

I guess the the problem behind this is that in real-world sports, you have to be among the best to even get into a professional team. You don't need to be among the top 10 of the planet for any sport, ok. But you have to be far better than the average person.
So you know how much practice, commitment, pain, etc. you need to invest, in order to be where you are. And you know how hard it is to find yourself in the list of top players / racers / scorers / whatever.

While in gaming, you can just buy what you think is fun. That's great! But on the other hand, if you suck at a game, it's very easy to say that the game is crap, instead of practicing, learning, etc.