PDA

View Full Version : Is this the game YOU have been waiting to come along and why?

spartanmike1978
12-05-2015, 07:59
Im picking the game up in the morning, and have been following this game for a while. The way it was advertised as being the best looking racer, and a hardcore sim racer piqued my interest. On consoles at least, most people seem dissapointed with the visuals and many seem to think the game has too many issues. Regardless im buying the game today, and am going in openminded. For those who already have the game, has it reached your expectations both visually and gameplay wise?

wilabidd
12-05-2015, 08:58
This game was the reason why I bought next gen, when I heard it wasn't coming to xbox 360/PS3 I upgraded awaiting the game last November. So then the delays started, and then delayed again. So when the digital editions turned up on the consoles store, I had to choose either xbox 1\PS4. I chose XB1 and turns out I made the wrong choice due to multiplayer option, anyway for me maybe after watch all the development of the game and waiting and waiting I was really looking forward to playing it and I was expecting more and feel a little disappointed, maybe I hyped the game up to much, but for me its not sim racing. I even invested in a wheel, so now I'm hoping that with patches/upgrades even dlc that this game will improve for me

spartanmike1978
12-05-2015, 09:04
Hopefully the patches come quick and regularly! Sounds like the game sure has some issues, i was under the impression that graphically this game would be king of the hill, but ive read pc players saying driveclub on ps4 looks better than project cars on pc ultra settings! How is that possible? Im a graphics whore and hope im satisfied when i pop this game in this morning

Revvin
12-05-2015, 09:27
I'm not going to pretend there are no issues with the game but I've not experienced some of the reported issues like crashing to desktop, graphics glitches or frame rate issues on the consoles and I'm playing across all three formats. What I do know is the game is a hell of a lot of fun and its the kind of game myself a quite a few friends have been waiting to come along for a long time. I really do believe its a better racing sim than Forza or Gran Turismo, its not a car collector game like those games are. In my opinion its the most realistic racing game on the consoles to date and the best looking game. Driveclub gets mentioned a lot but a lot of what you see posted online is using replays or picture mode with a lot of post processing effects added that you don't actually get in the game when playing. I was actually shocked when I first played Driveclub and saw the graphics compared to the slick video's that I saw promoting the game on YouTube etc. To me the lighting in PCars is more lifelike, you don't get any of the horrible yellow tinge you get in Grid or even Forza.

The car choice may not be as extensive as some of those car collector type games but its not meant to be that type of game, the cars it does have are nicely modelled and handle nicely. The tracks look great, the textures are nicely detailed right down to the different bits of kerb and run off matting and the surrounding track objects help convey a sense of speed.

Bear in mind that on any forum you visit you're going to see complaints, those who are happy playing the game are less likely to visit a forum and tell everyone how great it is or how much fun they are having where as an unhappy customer is far more likely to spend time telling anyone who will listen how terrible their experience has been, its just human nature.

menaceuk
12-05-2015, 09:35
Honestly, no.

I think it is a good game & I do not regret buying it, and I am having fun, but I expected better from SMS.

hillcrest34
12-05-2015, 09:50
I wanted/expected a codemasters race driver like experience w/ more options and more realism. Thats exactly what I got. I've also been lucky enough not to experience much in the way of glitches and bugs. So my experience has been pretty A+ so far

Benja190782
12-05-2015, 10:07
Project CARS is the best game I've EVER played! I'm on Xbox One with a Thrustmaster TX wheel and I can't believe how good this game is made! The physics, the replays, the sounds, the atmosphere, the graphics, the many options and even the music in this game is amazing!
I love the way SMS are here with us on the forums - everything about this game is EPIC!!!

Yes I got some problems on the XB1 like others do - but I can't believe how much potential this game have...

And I'm only just started!

Suburban Coot
12-05-2015, 11:05
Project CARS is the best game I've EVER played! I'm on Xbox One with a Thrustmaster TX wheel and I can't believe how good this game is made! The physics, the replays, the sounds, the atmosphere, the graphics, the many options and even the music in this game is amazing!
I love the way SMS are here with us on the forums - everything about this game is EPIC!!!

Yes I got some problems on the XB1 like others do - but I can't believe how much potential this game have...

And I'm only just started!
Thrustmaster TX wheel Is the reason why you're enjoying the game right out the gate Haha. Try playing with the controller which has some issues atm :( And then there is the matter of the sound going all wonky in the headphones.(Not the breaking/cornering bug either) Other than that, this game is GRRRREAT!

Revvin
12-05-2015, 11:11
Thrustmaster TX wheel Is the reason why you're enjoying the game right out the gate Haha. Try playing with the controller which is totally broken atm :( And then there is the matter of the sound going all wonky in the headphones.(Not the breaking/cornering bug either) Other than that, this game is GRRRREAT!

Totally broken? Not true, I've played it just fine on the controller

menaceuk
12-05-2015, 11:26
Totally broken? Not true, I've played it just fine on the controller

Agreed.

I have put in around 18 hours of gamepad time.

Suburban Coot
12-05-2015, 11:36
Agreed.

I have put in around 18 hours of gamepad time.

Fixed my OP. I tried playing without really exploring the setups that some have posted on here for gamepads.

xtec77
12-05-2015, 11:42
This is the game I was hoping for as the XB1 was released. I hoped Forza 5 would be like that game, which was a big diappointment. Yeah I know this one got issues here and there, but come on, which game in the last years was ready at the release... I'm using a gamepad and it took me some laps to get used to it, but now I love it. This one is a challange and for the first time since the XB1 was released I can enjoy the great racing-feeling which I've been missing since TOCA... Love It !

totlxtc
12-05-2015, 11:46
It certainly has potential. I have put in just over 30 hours now and some cars for now are just undriveable at this time (90% of road cars). The settings, options, graphics, cars, tracks and potential are all there. For now I'm using cars I feel I can race (struggling between keeping a car on the track and pushing a car to its limit for now, using no assist) and get enjoyment. For those who want to know what cars I have found great enjoyment from here is a little list:

Formula Gulf - TONs of fun and great little race cars. Had good races with friends and finished the FG career
Mclaren 12C GT3 - Awesome car that has so much grip
Formula A - So much grip and steering. If this is a sim I have less respect for F1 drivers as these things are a doddle to drive! :)
Renault Clio - After 4000+ laps round Spa in FM5 this was my first car and track on Project Cars. It took 90 minutes to get through Eau Rouge facing the right way. Thats when I knew there was an issue. Now I have good settings this car is tons of fun to chuck around.
Lotus 78 - OMG that sound!!! Mega grip and good speed. Awesome car around Watkins Glen short.
BMW Group 5 - Love this car to bits. Takes a while to warm up but gives great driving feedback.
BMW Z4 GT3 - Great overall racer

There are a fair few more but these are my fav so far.

Lukeymonster
12-05-2015, 16:40
Yes it is. We all know its pretty and the physics are great and all that but it is so much more!

Its the stories and experiences that you walk away with. Unlike any other racing game I have played, I remember those great races in incredible detail. I remember the strategy I used. I remember when those tires fell off and how I struggled with it. I remember battling with my opponents for laps and laps setting up my move. I am even happy when I achieve my finishing goal, which is not always first based on how I am doing. The game forces you to be a realist if you choose not to restart the race upon every mistake or problem. It forces you to decide...attack or consolidate my position?...CAN i win or podium in this race or is this the best I can do based on my current situation? I love also how it randomly throws you curve balls like pit crew mistakes and such. Brilliant...

I went out with some friends for lunch today and we sat there bs'ing about last night's race and each of our experiences were different. We talked about the handling difference in cars with mechanical grip vs aero grip. The fact that the fwd Clio is such a handful. Our experiments with tire pressures and tuning. I've never done that with any other acing series and I've supported them all.

Some reviews have brought up a "lack of soul" but they don't get it. They expect the game to entertain and cater to them right out of the gate. This game is a vehicle for motorsport enthusiasts to entertain themselves and for me that is a slice of friend gold. The fact that were sitting there at lunch swapping stories about a game as if we were real race car drivers IS the soul. We never talked about graphics, force feedback, frame rate or glitches. We just talked about racing as if it was a real thing in our lives. Ive never done that with GT, or Forza and I've been big supporters of those series.

After just a day with the game I can say that I GET IT and IT GETS ME. What SMS was going for is there ten fold and it sings to the motorsport fanatic in me. With future improvements and a little bit of ironing, this will honestly be the perfect game for me.

LextersQuest
12-05-2015, 16:51
im certainly not disapointed with the game. To bad of all the bugs in the game. And there a lot off bugs.
But im really enjoying the game, the carreer is way more fun than other racegames. This should have been the first real simracing game on console. We will have to wait and see how they going to fix all the problems it has.
But it does make me think if i would want to take simracing serious i should get myself a pc.

rffanatic
12-05-2015, 17:12
It could be but it's so broken I may never find out. I love the options, the track list, the focus on racing. It's all fantastic stuff. However with the controller the game is unplayable for me. I spent all night last night trying to find some settings that would work to make it enjoyable and I never did. The sound bug means you can't race online because going into a corner on the brakes you can't hear your party and they can't hear you. Frame rate drop. Then just for fun it crashes to dashboard sometimes. This game could have been great. Maybe it will be someday but by the time it takes the team to patch it all I'm not sure I'll care. I feel like the game was released prematurely. Which is really interesting seeing as to how long it was delayed.

I guess I'm feeling a bit burned right now. It's hard to stand by a team that would release something this buggy. Top that off with the talk they are planning to launch a funding campaign for the sequel soon and I'm pretty close to pissed off.

Lukeymonster
13-05-2015, 05:07
This is the game I was hoping for as the XB1 was released. I hoped Forza 5 would be like that game, which was a big diappointment. Yeah I know this one got issues here and there, but come on, which game in the last years was ready at the release... I'm using a gamepad and it took me some laps to get used to it, but now I love it. This one is a challange and for the first time since the XB1 was released I can enjoy the great racing-feeling which I've been missing since TOCA... Love It !

Agree 100%. I was so let down by Forza 5, and if I am honest the past few Forzas. I have had a fantastic experience so far.

spartanmike1978
13-05-2015, 06:38
Forza 5 does feel a bit Arcady, hopefully 6 will be a little more aggressive. Project cars on the other hand just feels off at the moment, playing with a controller anyway. Feels like I'm driving on a frozen lake lol lots of sliding, driving in the rain is comical! Handling must be improved and tightened up substantially, just feels unresponsive and loose at the moment. I have faith in sms, and this game is a diamond in the not so ruff, almost there, but the meat and potatoes of any racer is handling, and let's hope sms can get it right.

Revvin
13-05-2015, 08:50
In regards to the handling feeling 'off' I don't see it, comparing it to games like iRacing, Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2 which are considered to be realistic I think PCars stacks up very well. I think for some console racers they may have picked up some bad habits from Forza and Gran Turismo that don't transfer well to PCars. I noticed this in years gone by when I've swapped between Forza and Gran Turismo and then played something like iRacing or rFactor 2.

Psychomatrix
13-05-2015, 09:19
The game has a lot of potential and here on the xbox we must be patient ang give sms the chance to make the best out of it. I think the game is much more near to forza than to iracing. I racing has a lot of updates and patches over the years to reach this level. It's not easy to bring the game on the consoles. Each console are different because they use different OS and drivers. it was frustrating that controls are buggy. But ian bell was permanently here to give us information about the progress. Never seem that before and shows that here someone is who care for his product and not only have dollar signs in the eyes. Sorry for my complicated english. Hope it was understandable what i was try to say.

menaceuk
13-05-2015, 09:23
In regards to the handling feeling 'off' I don't see it, comparing it to games like iRacing, Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2 which are considered to be realistic I think PCars stacks up very well. I think for some console racers they may have picked up some back habits from Forza and Gran Turismo that don't transfer well to PCars. I noticed this in years gone by when I've swapped between Forza and Gran Turismo and then played something like iRacing or rFactor 2.

This is true.

It is surprising how fast you can throw a Forza/GT car into a corner and get round no problem. Doing the same thing in a Sim racer generally ends with you spinning out or going head first into the gravel/wall. The weight transfer in a sim racer also plays a bigger part than in a Forza/GT game.

Bannsider
13-05-2015, 10:09
Yes it is. We all know its pretty and the physics are great and all that but it is so much more!

Its the stories and experiences that you walk away with. Unlike any other racing game I have played, I remember those great races in incredible detail. I remember the strategy I used. I remember when those tires fell off and how I struggled with it. I remember battling with my opponents for laps and laps setting up my move. I am even happy when I achieve my finishing goal, which is not always first based on how I am doing. The game forces you to be a realist if you choose not to restart the race upon every mistake or problem. It forces you to decide...attack or consolidate my position?...CAN i win or podium in this race or is this the best I can do based on my current situation? I love also how it randomly throws you curve balls like pit crew mistakes and such. Brilliant...

I went out with some friends for lunch today and we sat there bs'ing about last night's race and each of our experiences were different. We talked about the handling difference in cars with mechanical grip vs aero grip. The fact that the fwd Clio is such a handful. Our experiments with tire pressures and tuning. I've never done that with any other acing series and I've supported them all.

Some reviews have brought up a "lack of soul" but they don't get it. They expect the game to entertain and cater to them right out of the gate. This game is a vehicle for motorsport enthusiasts to entertain themselves and for me that is a slice of friend gold. The fact that were sitting there at lunch swapping stories about a game as if we were real race car drivers IS the soul. We never talked about graphics, force feedback, frame rate or glitches. We just talked about racing as if it was a real thing in our lives. Ive never done that with GT, or Forza and I've been big supporters of those series.

After just a day with the game I can say that I GET IT and IT GETS ME. What SMS was going for is there ten fold and it sings to the motorsport fanatic in me. With future improvements and a little bit of ironing, this will honestly be the perfect game for me.

Yeah you definitely get what Project Cars is all about. The experience of being a racing driver.
Just for fun last night I thought I'd try a 45 car, 5 lap race at Le Mans in a thunderstorm.

I was playing wearing headphones and the sound of the rain hitting the car at 180mph, coupled with the darkening and foreboding sky with sporadic flashes of lightning and rattles of thunder was quite frightening. At times I could see very little other than spray. Then after a few laps the deluge subsided and the sky cleared slightly (medium cloud setting IIRC) to show a warm red glow as the sun began to sink towards the horizon.

Then it all turned on me again, the clouds rolled in, the dark grey sky now crackling with lightning and the thunder seemed louder this time (just my overactive imagination, I know). The final lap seemed to last for ever and I longed to see the warm, comforting amber glow of the lights that illuminate the final chicane. At the Porsche Curves another flash of lightning and the rain was like machine gun fire against the windscreen.

Finally it was over. I finished in last place but I didn't care. I survived. I'll do it again. Thanks SMS.

BTW although the frame rate was more regularly below 60 fps than it was at it, the game was to me, still very playable. Curiously I didn't get the timestretching sound bug that happens to me occasionally in free practice either nor the screen freezing and sound carrying on bug either.

Forzatographer
13-05-2015, 10:59
Yes, It's the game I've been waiting for a long time. For multiple reasons:

1. I prefer race cars over road cars, and Project CARS delivers. Hopefully SMS will stay true to this mentality when adding more cars/manufacturers in the future.
2. The career mode makes me feel like a racing driver. It's not a soulless grindfest like in other racing games..
3. The # of tracks is impressive. My favourites (Monza, Imola, Brands Hatch, Monaco, Hockenheim..) are all here and I love them.
4. Nice graphics. A few glitches/problems here and there, but the weather effects are good and the lighting is very realistic, doesn't look "fake" at all.
5. The physics is also very good. Some cars (Sauber, 320 Gr.5, Ariel 500..) just feel amazing, love how they handle. Others (A-Class AMG, R8 Plus etc.) require a lot of patience, I can't drive them fast. Maybe It has something to do with the controller issues, but that's another matter..

To sum it up, It's not a perfect, flawless game but It will get better and better, I'm sure of that.

JimmyClark
13-05-2015, 11:23
Great game with many issues on both consoles, I bought it to race while we wait on Gran Turismo 7, while PCARS looks and races great they have left out the south American and Asian circuits and , where is my GT-R(R-32)?

Bannsider
13-05-2015, 12:15
Great game with many issues on both consoles, I bought it to race while we wait on Gran Turismo 7, while PCARS looks and races great they have left out the south American and Asian circuits and , where is my GT-R(R-32)?

Yes would be good to see some tracks from those parts of the world. Hopefully those will come in the near future.

Alter_Schwede62
13-05-2015, 12:34
I am an offline gamer, and I like the game very much, because:

From the first start of Project Cars all cars are available
Too all tracks are available
The very good sounds of the cars, extremly good! :D
The great feel and look of the cars and driving, too the AI who is similar good, as I, using the correct strength
The great feel an look of the tracks, with weather changes, day/night changes
The hope/certainty, that more and more tracks and cars will be integrated.

What I would like to see, is that all races and training results and records (too the not career races and training results/records) are going to be saved, and reviewable.

HBK
13-05-2015, 12:41
Well, it can't be the game that I dreamed of when I was a kid, as those games already came out into existence quite some time ago (their names were Operation Flashpoint and Test Drive Unlimited).

Still, this is the kind of game I never expected to come out. Not that this was a kind of game I didn't want to come out. Rather that this is the kind of game I never dared to dream could come out. An ambitious sim-racer for the consoles (also for the PC of course but consoles were not neglected). A sim-racer exhibiting a true sense of passion for motorsport.

Don't get me wrong, other games such as GT or Forza have a lot of qualities, but they are arcade racers at heart. pCARS is the first game on the consoles that manages to somewhat reproduce the feeling of being in a real race event with some actual realistic car behavior.

Other games have realistic physics but have an arcady sandbox game structure. Other games recreate the feeling of "being there" but do so using arcady "physics".

At last we have a console game that "gets" the feeling of being a race driver while delivering on the "realism" front.

Kudos to that.

tremblax
13-05-2015, 15:32
I'll try and keep this brief...but it's not my strong point.

This game was the reason I bought a console in January (in anticipation of the March release). I have been following the progress of this game for the past year, and was kicking myself because I only found out about it after it was too late to donate to the cause.

I've always been a sim racer right back to the days of Grand Prix Legends and GTR2, but I'm not a huge fan of gaming on computers and unfortunately, my dedicated gaming time has drastically decreased with age. The issue with PCs is that you always need to stay ahead of the curve by spending money on your PC, plus I find games crash more and there are so many different input options that it doesn't create a level playing field online (and it takes quite a bit of time to find the right controller and the right balance). Also, in most cases, you need to sacrifice visuals for performance and strike the right balance that way as well. Plus I didn't want to shell out money on a nice monitor or sit in an uncomfortable office chair when playing.

So long story short, I went with a console version because it would deliver everyone a consistent experience and would be optimized for the one supported controller and two supported wheels on the console. I picked xbox because I have a bunch of racing friends from my 360 that were upgrading and I thought the online service was more reliable than PS4.

So first things first,I love the track selection, the career mode setup and the dynamic environment. Between the real racing cars and class setup, the customizable sliders for AI, race length, class and weather, it's exactly what I wanted my game to be. But when you hit the track on the XB1, it's a complete disaster. All sorts of distracting visual issues, from randomly appearing and disappearing shadows, to weird inconsistent lighting, to constantly changing framerates to visual jaggies like what we saw on the old PS1 days. Unfortunately, the only controller they needed to support in this version is useless without changing the settings. I was motivated enough to research on the forums to figure out a better setup, and although it's slightly better, there are still massive issues with using the controller, to the point where I found the d-pad more effective for steering. I love the idea of this game, but quite frankly, it's not ready for release. I believed SMS when they said it was 99% ready and just needed to perfect it before the launch, and I applauded them for not cutting corners like other developers and rushing the game. The fact is that this game is not ready for XB1, and I'm scared now that although they may have generated more $$ in getting the game out early, that there will be no community left to play it on the XB1 after the disaster it was at launch.

I know a lot of it is because the XB1 is a difficult platform to work with, but that doesn't excuse SMS from releasing this game before it was ready. I know it's not a game breaker, but I'm so depressed that I just spend $500 on a system and game just to find out that it's the only platform that doesn't have public lobbies that you can pick from online. That's the most important component to this game and it's incredibly disappointing. It might be a bit extremist but I feel like I've been lied to as I hadn't heard of this until after it was released.

Bigsteviet
13-05-2015, 16:45
So very, VERY nearly, but at time of writing? No.

I love the concept and the approach and I hope the strong day one sales have shown the big publishers there IS an audience out there hungry for exacting racing titles. Maybe one of them will back SMS for PCars 2 with some big dollar - now isn't that a tempting prospect?

I wholeheartedly support the focus on fewer cars, with stronger distinctions between them. (That said, I would welcome a few more, but I don't need 5 versions of a Skyline - GT, I'm looking at you!) And FINALLY a game with a decent (possibly generous?) selection of tracks! This is key for me. I cannot tell you how fed up I have become with GT and Forza trotting out the same tracks time and again...

When it gets it right, this game captures the feeling of being in a car, in a race (yes, I have done it IRW) better than maybe any game to date. But - and it's a big but - the XBone version should not have shipped as it was. It took me four days, a lot of trial and error and some net research to make the game playable on a controller (the way that by FAR the majority will be experiencing it.) I bet there's been a fair few controllers chucked in a strop this past weekend and early word of mouth will damage sales. This is a console audience, not PC users who are used to tweaking.

Will it be the game I've been waiting to come along? Over time, I think it may well be, with continued support from the devs, which seems to be happening. Good on yer, lads! (And laddesses?)

I've enjoyed some great racing since finding my settings and I'm looking forward to the next patch and the addition of MOAR cars and tracks. And yep, happy to pay for tracks if they're to the same standard as the ones we're already enjoying.

If I look at this as an ongoing 'platform' or SaaS, then maybe - just maybe - it will be what I've been waiting for...

tremblax
13-05-2015, 16:48
@BigSteviet

I agree. Potential is there but it's simply not ready for XB1. I wouldve been happier with another delay and wait for the game to become more polished as I fear that the early release will be so problematic for the average player that they'll scrap it. I worry that there won't be much of a community because the initial reactions will be so poor.

mx5fornow
13-05-2015, 16:51
I enjoy what PCars brings to the table in the way of a more realistic racing experience but the feel of the cars is just not predictable enough. I would love more in the way the wheel responds to wheels locking up under heavy breaking. This is a big issue for me.

Also the track not being laser scanned has taken alot of fun out of some of my favorite tracks as i am so used the real versions on other games that i am not longer able to keep old sight lines. I assume that they will eventually go to laser scanned tracks and then will have the same issue forza did with a small track list upon release of their new title Not excited about having to learn track all over again.

Either way though i will continue to support the title as it brings more fans to the sport with there absolutely dedicated style. anybody new to the sim world im sure will enjoy every second of time spent.

Suburban Coot
13-05-2015, 18:21
There should've been a warning label stating : This game is not your casual console racer.(It will chew you up and spit you out) Well there goes my $63 ...

That being said, Great game! It's definitely got that sim vibe going on.

I had no idea how far this game went until I found the Wiki page and read all about it. Unfortunately, I always had games like GT and Forza holding my hand and making life easy. Never have I imagined a console racer that could be so simulated. Those other racing games always claimed to be "Real simulators" Boy was that ever a lie. SMS has gone and blown em out of the water with Pcars. Great job Boys/Girls.