PDA

View Full Version : Jekyll & Hyde?

Neutreus
12-05-2015, 09:24
Hi everyone,

New to the forum but have been lurking the last few days trying to pick up hints and tips for this game.

My experience on the Xbox One with the Thrustmaster TX so far has been very Jekyll and Hyde. I have had a lot of moments that genuinely had me giggling like a small child because they felt so good (Ginetta G40 on Silvertsone GP for example) and no other game has got so close to replicating the track days and such that I've done.

On the other hand, there are a few problems for me, some of which are detailed elsewhere, but a couple aren't that I can see.

1) I've changed the general FFB settings to where it feels good, but then the variance between different cars and how they handle is unbelievable. And I'm old enough and wise enough to not be talking about the difference between say FWD and RWD. Take for example the Ginetta mentioned above and then take out a Caterham Classic on the same track. The difference in FFB and handling is unbelievable. I appreciate that you have the individual car FFB settings (which is going a little to far in my opinion for console) but even having tinkered with those, something doesn't feel right. Anybody else finding that? Any suggestions?

2) The second issue linked to the above is that having spent a couple of hours tinkering with the Caterham settings, so that I could feel to some degree what the car was doing underneath me and then saving them, when I entered a career race in the same car, the settings haven't saved! Again, anyone else had this?

Overall SMS, I am massively impressed and whilst there are issues we are having on Xbox One that others don't seem to be having, I know that once remedied, this game will be stunning.

Beagle Five
12-05-2015, 11:20
I dont have wheel, but you are now talking about the two cars that feel/behave best and worse in the game basically!

I took the caterham out on nurburgring when the biggest bug in the steering was present, and it was horrible, as you can understand.
The little ginetta is the car that saved this game for me! After getting things as sorted as they can be, skipping on the asphalt through the turns in this little screeming wonder of a car really is the best thing in this game!

The caterham is driveable now, even more so if using d-pad to steer, but its something fishy with it. If it feels like this in real life or not I couldnt say, but it sure feels lightfooted as it should. The controller bug makes it rather impossible to play around with it, but in real life it is a car you drive with very easy to oversteer and having control over it.

But I have to say, LOVE the little ginetta! If they add cars to this game, add much more cars like that! Angry, small hp, little racecars! :)

Neutreus
12-05-2015, 18:16
If it feels like this in real life or not I couldnt say, but it sure feels lightfooted as it should. The controller bug makes it rather impossible to play around with it, but in real life it is a car you drive with very easy to oversteer and having control over it.

But I have to say, LOVE the little ginetta! If they add cars to this game, add much more cars like that! Angry, small hp, little racecars! :)

I've driven a Caterham at Bedford Autodrome and on their Gymkhana circuit and whilst it can be a little snappy if you get it wrong, you have to push the limits for it to do that, but maybe that's what I've done in the game!

Touche to adding more cars like the Ginetta, although I've driven others now that are just as much fun, if not quite as rewarding.

As to my original post, I actually came across another thread on here that said to check the way you calibrated the wheel (for example ensuring you hold the wheel when held at 90 degrees and save before letting go) and that made a big difference. Could certainly feel more what the Caterham was doing thankfully.

Now the only two things I really want sorted is the volume level of the tyres; I can't here when I'm losing traction or particularly, locking up under breaking. Secondly, sorting out the handling on cold tyres, it's like you are on ice, literally. Yes, cold tyres = much more difficult handling, but not as if on ice. I thin that latter point may well be on the 'to sort' list now thankfully.