PDA

View Full Version : Setup Database / downloadable setups

NemethR
12-05-2015, 10:31
Hi guys,

I do not know about others, but I know about myself, and I do know, that I have no idea how to make a setup.
No idea were to begin, and how to do it, no idea what it will do if I change the camber, and no idea by how much should I change it and what direction to make a difference.

After all its a racing simulation... I repeat: a RACING simulation.
Its not a setup tuning game.

In Real Life, you don't see Lewis hamilton climb out of his car, and starting to adjusting the <name of car part> with a screwdriver or similar. Its not done by the drivers (most of the time).

Its nice that you can adjust your car the way you want, but its a limiting factor too.

There are some players who are really good at it, and would be nice if like the ghost cars, setups could be downloaded too.
After all the game is about Racing, not out tuning each other.

OR if there would be a nice Setup database, where players can download setups, and rate them with stars 1 through 5, or similar.

This is my suggestion.
Hope it will find the right ears.

NinjaWookiee
12-05-2015, 10:55
I completely agree - I never enjoyed the process of making setups in any game and nowadays I usually fiddle very briefly with the basics like gears, downforce, brake bias... and never touch camber or toe-in. That stuff just takes too much time figuring out - of course there can be joy in learning what's under the hood and how it makes your car react, but I agree, it should not be essential knowledge. And yes, a downloadable community-rated setup would be ideal.

Andymh5
12-05-2015, 22:06
An absolute must in a racing sim game. It would be ridiculous to only have on setup per car per track. Hopefully this will be added in the future.

nhitrac
13-05-2015, 07:28
Agree with you there on the missing feature, that'd be great to have. However just on the comment about racing drivers not tinkering with their cars - this I disagree with.

I'd say [ASSUME] all pro racing drivers will know how to tune their machines to get the most out of it. At the very least I'd imagine they'd need to know that altering XYZ will change how their car's handling, turn in, grip level or braking etc. I highly doubt that changes are made to their cars without them giving the feedback/instructions to do so. I'd say the cars are tuned to their driving style, not the other way around.

So what 's all this mumbo jumbo? At the very least try to learn the basics of car setup. There's a neat guide going with a description of each part and how it changes the car's characteristic.

creepyd
13-05-2015, 11:11
I agree with the OP.

I just found after doing around 30 laps around Oulten Park in a Community Event with the default setup that I basically have no chance.
I was 1.8s off the pace, even though I really felt like I had it mastered.
1.8s on a 53s lap is HuGE.

So I adjusted my setting to simply have a shorter gear ratio, more acceleration, lower top speed.
On my very first fast lap, I already took 0.3s off my best time.

Basically the other 1.5s is likely down to car tuning, which to me is very frustrating as like the OP I have no clue about that stuff, I just want to drive.

If setup's were downloadable at least I could grab some good examples and learn how to do it.
As it stands, I'm changing settings in the dark, trying to 'feel' what they do, which is nigh on impossible in a 'sim'.

Krieg 1
13-05-2015, 14:13
Agree with you there on the missing feature, that'd be great to have. However just on the comment about racing drivers not tinkering with their cars - this I disagree with.

I'd say [ASSUME] all pro racing drivers will know how to tune their machines to get the most out of it. At the very least I'd imagine they'd need to know that altering XYZ will change how their car's handling, turn in, grip level or braking etc. I highly doubt that changes are made to their cars without them giving the feedback/instructions to do so. I'd say the cars are tuned to their driving style, not the other way around.

So what 's all this mumbo jumbo? At the very least try to learn the basics of car setup. There's a neat guide going with a description of each part and how it changes the car's characteristic.

I agree with this thread with regard for needing to be able to save multiple setups. I also would like the ability to share setups with the community as I know the majority doesn't understand, or have the time, or the ability to run consistent laps within a tenth or two to really feel the difference to fine tune a setup.

However, historically, if you go back in time and look at all the great champions in you will undoubtedly read somewhere where their engineers praise them for their feedback which directly relates to the setup. In order to be able to setup a car you must first understand how the car acts and be able to quantify the result based on all the elements which lead to said result. Granted there are racers (I'm sure) that have never touched a car or know that shopping carts have caster (haha) but I'd bet a dollar they will never be great and are no where as passionate as champions past because lets be fair... If you love racing, you love cars and if you love cars how can you not want to get involved with the setup...Especially when it's your job and your result, your pay, your glory, your championship, your night out (haha), your everything you live for....is on the line. : )

Any who...please fix the setups. We need multiple setups 1st, the ability to share 2nd and anything fancy on the back burner/parking lot

NegSpec13
13-05-2015, 15:29
I lve spending time tuning cars no matter which racing game I'm playing so it would be nice to be able to share my tunes if people wanted them.

Francorchamps
13-05-2015, 16:06
Each car should have it's own tuned set-up for each race track in every water condition. This could be presented as the suggested set-up from the engineers. It's that simple frankly.

MULTIVITZ
21-05-2015, 20:17
You can save a tune for every track. You can save your base tune to every track if you want (be careful of overwriting valuable existing tunes and the 'create new tune' option, it will wipe current car settings to default (but tune would have saved to the last track you saved tune on). Or do what I'm doing, save a tune you like to all the tracks and when you're in prerace session have a quick tune after a drive. If you suck on a track, go have a tuning sesh there, or ask someone faster if they could revile there setup. There will be some tunes on you tube and here I'm quite sure of that. You most definitely will be seeing mine, I'm hoping to learn a thing or two, but I'm not holding my breath!

MULTIVITZ
21-05-2015, 20:25
Each car should have it's own tuned set-up for each race track in every water condition. This could be presented as the suggested set-up from the engineers. It's that simple frankly.

Theres plenty of simple things the developers have skimped on, thats plain to see. I don't think the game is going to give out gold stars for doing every track in every car in every track condion, it's not that type of game?! But some help with the setup storage structure wouldn't go amiss, you'll find they'll do something when the file sharing is added to the game, if not we'll just have to grin and bare it?!