PDA

View Full Version : Race officials

Slicker_VR
12-05-2015, 10:57
we at VRroom.org have been running fully marshalled leagues and race events on gt5/6 for around 4years. we have now moved to pcars and, on the whole, we are greatly impressed with the physics/handling, car/track lists and overall performance of the game - WELL DONE YOU *:) happy

there is, however, one major issue for the way we do things - on gt the room host has not raced, but controlled the room, watching the races, flicking from car to car and generally being Charlie Whiting *;) winking. we believe this is what sets us apart from the crowd when it comes to 'professional' online motorsport. we are passionate about what we do here and would like to be able to continue this practice.

would it be possible to add the 'monitor' facility to race sessions to enable us to do this?

please feel free to visit us at vrroom.org and see for yourself (and maybe even come race with us) you would be very welcome.

congratulations on pulling off what a lot of us thought was nigh on impossible and bringing pc-style simulation to the console world, we are more than happy with your achievement - a huge pat on the back for you all

VR-42
14-05-2015, 15:22
Slicker is right. its very difficult to marshal a race without the room marshal not being able to see what drivers are doing, this feature is essential to the smooth running of our leagues in vrroom.org

msmith1
14-05-2015, 20:51
I've just signed up to VRroom.com. How do I enter one of the 'race now' events?

JB5
14-05-2015, 20:52
I've just signed up to VRroom.com. How do I enter one of the 'race now' events?

Click the calendar at the bottom, it shows highlighted days with events taking place. Click the date and fill in the form.

Slicker_VR
14-05-2015, 22:14
Slicker is right. its very difficult to marshal a race without the room marshal not being able to see what drivers are doing, this feature is essential to the smooth running of our leagues in vrroom.org

yea, i really can't see any work-round for this - short of all/some of the drivers streaming the race and the marshal pulling off track, parking up and watching the streams, but i have noticed little bits of lag from guys who are streaming so this would be far from ideal :(

dvc
14-05-2015, 22:24
yea, i really can't see any work-round for this - short of all/some of the drivers streaming the race and the marshal pulling off track, parking up and watching the streams, but i have noticed little bits of lag from guys who are streaming so this would be far from ideal :(

One marshal cant watch everyone anyway. The solution would be implementation of iRacing like Car Contact / Off track penalty system. Who used iRacing before would agree. Who didnt i can explain how it works. And it works perfectly 99% of the time.

Slicker_VR
14-05-2015, 22:34
One marshal cant watch everyone anyway. The solution would be implementation of iRacing like Car Contact / Off track penalty system. Who used iRacing before would agree. Who didnt i can explain how it works. And it works perfectly 99% of the time.

have you read the original post? we've been doing it for years on gt AND IT WORKED.
what we don't need is an automated system we want a human race marshal and i know plenty of people who have played iracing who would NOT agree with you so please don't try and tell me what we want - i've already stated what we want lol

dvc
14-05-2015, 22:37
have you read the original post? we've been doing it for years on gt AND IT WORKED.
what we don't need is an automated system we want a human race marshal and i know plenty of people who have played iracing who would NOT agree with you so please don't try and tell me what we want - i've already stated what we want lol

IrideGravity
14-05-2015, 22:48

Curious, what is wrong with iracings penalty system. I thought it was automated, but officially reviewed via a saved replay too? Not sure if it's the license system or the $20 a month people are paying, but dirty racers don't exist there, the month I was there anyway. Such a more satisfying race environment. I can't see why it would not be copied. Best thing in simulation IMO. I hope you get your work around so you can apply same method they use, monitoring. That's the only thing that forces clean racing.

Jinobi
14-05-2015, 22:54
Computers will never be able to do this job properly. We have always had a human race official supervising our league racing at VRroom.org
Slightly Mad Studios, I am surprised this was not an option right from the start. You have trumped the competition with this game but this is one critical feature Gran Turismo has over Project CARS. Please give the ability to spectate the race live within the Online Lobby.
Massive congratz to the games success! We are loving it! :cool:

dvc
14-05-2015, 23:02
Curious, what is wrong with iracings penalty system. I thought it was automated, but officially reviewed via a saved replay too? Not sure if it's the license system or the $20 a month people are paying, but dirty racers don't exist there, the month I was there anyway. Such a more satisfying race environment. I can't see why it would not be copied. Best thing in simulation IMO. I hope you get your work around so you can apply same method they use, monitoring. That's the only thing that forces clean racing.

Im sure after the hype will cool down a bit I will go back to iRacing and happily pay for "proper" racing... and wait and hope that pCARS online system will be changed. Apart from that this sim is 10/10.

Now on topic part:

I've signed up for VRroom.com today but your attitude tho...

Hengist
15-05-2015, 00:57
Thanks for posting Slicker, I've been looking for a good league and have just signed up. I'm interested in the Touring class that's featured on the site.

VR_Green
15-05-2015, 02:08
its also annoying how you can't use the save replay function to review incidents! so that needs a fix please, along with the ability to take photos from the save replay. screen capture doesn't do it justice, of the graphics on the ps4

Computer controlled marshalling doesn't work....and it is impossible for one person to marshall a whole race. a spectate mode with the ability for one person to marshall would be awesome, having multiple onboard views, lap time info/drive list, telemetry views although you don't actually need that for marshalling but still looks insane, map, notifications of flag situations....what else would you need????

IrideGravity
15-05-2015, 02:33
Im sure after the hype will cool down a bit I will go back to iRacing and happily pay for "proper" racing... and wait and hope that pCARS online system will be changed. Apart from that this sim is 10/10.

Now on topic part:

My attitude tho...? Please clarify

Not really interested in a gentlemen's club. I'm in it for sport. Sorry if I rubbed you wrong way. Wish I knew more like minded individuals. Vrooooom on

It looks like the PC lobbies can be legit, from what I just saw on twitch. think I'm headed that way
my ps4 copy will just be for career & practice.

dvc
15-05-2015, 03:30
@IrideGravity That on topic part wasnt directed to you :)

Slicker_VR
15-05-2015, 13:43

Now on topic part:

i have to apologise for the rather rude reply i made to your original post, mate - it was late and i was tired, sorry. here is my reasoned reply:-

1) the race official's job at vrroom is not simply about awarding penalties, he runs the league races, watches for incidents/bad driving, warns of potential danger points, has the option in the event of a major incident to call a 'yellow flag' (effectively an invisible safety car, slowing the field behind the leader to allow damaged cars to pit for repairs and rejoin at the back of the field) and many other bits and pieces, including taking down results and entering them on the website. a computer can't do these things.
2) from a technical standpoint implementing an iracing style penalty system would be a much bigger job for the devs than simply providing a 'monitor' facility in-race, and we want to start running leagues sooner rather than later.
3) we have had great success running our leagues with a human marshal, who also has the option to review the replays, etc. and,as i said in my original post, we think it's what makes our racing as good as it is.
once again, apologies for first reply, and i look forward to meeting you on track in the future.

Freddyforehand
15-05-2015, 14:11
iRacing isn't perfect either, in to many cases ive been penalized for other drivers mistakes and i to agree with the human element being a key factor in the success of this game. Algorithms will only get you so far but just like in the real world we need the ability to watch these races properly and banish the unruly drivers.
100% agreed - we need the ability to physically watch these races in a private lobby.

Slicker_VR
15-05-2015, 17:22
My attitude tho...? Please clarify

Not really interested in a gentlemen's club. I'm in it for sport. Sorry if I rubbed you wrong way. Wish I knew more like minded individuals. Vrooooom on

It looks like the PC lobbies can be legit, from what I just saw on twitch. think I'm headed that way
my ps4 copy will just be for career & practice.

that was me who rubbed him up the wrong way, sorry.
VRroom is not a gentleman's club, we are 'sim-racers' from top to bottom, mate and just want to keep our racing clean and hard as it always has been.

IrideGravity
15-05-2015, 20:34
[QUOTE=Slicker_VR;914403]that was me who rubbed him up the wrong way, sorry.
VRroom is not a gentleman's club, we are 'sim-racers' from top to bottom, mate and just want to keep our racing clean and hard as it always has been.

"Keep our racing"
All I ever hear from these clubs
Never see invites
When I see one seeking to expand its talent base, that's inclusive & reaches out to new racers, I'll believe it's something other than a club and something I'd enjoy. I usually see quite the opposite.

madmax2069
15-05-2015, 20:43
we at VRroom.org have been running fully marshalled leagues and race events on gt5/6 for around 4years. we have now moved to pcars and, on the whole, we are greatly impressed with the physics/handling, car/track lists and overall performance of the game - WELL DONE YOU *:) happy

there is, however, one major issue for the way we do things - on gt the room host has not raced, but controlled the room, watching the races, flicking from car to car and generally being Charlie Whiting *;) winking. we believe this is what sets us apart from the crowd when it comes to 'professional' online motorsport. we are passionate about what we do here and would like to be able to continue this practice.

would it be possible to add the 'monitor' facility to race sessions to enable us to do this?

please feel free to visit us at vrroom.org and see for yourself (and maybe even come race with us) you would be very welcome.

congratulations on pulling off what a lot of us thought was nigh on impossible and bringing pc-style simulation to the console world, we are more than happy with your achievement - a huge pat on the back for you all

This is one of the many things I loved with GT5. And it was with things like this that kept potential wreckers out of the game, or people breaking the rules out of the game.

A funtion like this is seriously needed in Pcars.

Slicker_VR
15-05-2015, 22:42
[QUOTE=Slicker_VR;914403]that was me who rubbed him up the wrong way, sorry.

"Keep our racing"
All I ever hear from these clubs
Never see invites
When I see one seeking to expand its talent base, that's inclusive & reaches out to new racers, I'll believe it's something other than a club and something I'd enjoy. I usually see quite the opposite.

if you read this thread thoroughly you'll see that one guy at least has already signed up at vrroom - we do welcome new drivers - no need to be fast, just clean, but as you've already decided to stick to pc there'd be no point inviting you, would there?

IrideGravity
16-05-2015, 02:06
[QUOTE=IrideGravity;914986]

if you read this thread thoroughly you'll see that one guy at least has already signed up at vrroom - we do welcome new drivers - no need to be fast, just clean, but as you've already decided to stick to pc there'd be no point inviting you, would there?

I see the invite in there now, but it kinda gets lost in the thread. Thread seems more geared toward asking for a fix for monitoring races. It's titled "racing officials"? Without any tools to Marshall with, what are people signing up for? Implied clean racing that's self regulated? Are people going to be saving their replays, then posting them to youtube if they have a complaint.
It comes off more like your group is here for a solution, not to recruit. Which makes sense considering you don't have the tools you need yet.
And because of the attitude comment I mistakenly thought was directed at me, I thought it came off as someone saying they would invite me, but my attitude didn't fit with the group? Which seemed exclusionary for no reason. See where my confusion came from? Cheers. Hope it goes well and you get the tools you need.
There is at least a 30 second gap on twitch you know? Might be a way to utilize that, but pain in the ass and extra bandwidth. Would require a quick relay of protest. Then the Marshall could tune in on twitch stream to see the reported incident. Hopefully he doesn't miss it & see a commercial instead.

I have an ATI GPU, not invidia, so may not move into PC as soon as I hoped. Always interested in a clean series race

tmitch45
16-05-2015, 07:34
I've raced a number of leagues on GT6 and this includes VRroom and I have to say having a system of in lobby monitoring works very well indeed. In fact its this combination of the marshalling system and the fair racers in the league that makes this league successful. Computer penalty systems just don't work as they view everything as black and white. For example a person goes of track on a corner because he is pushed off by another. I computerised marshal would give that car a penalty for cutting track a human would see the whole incident and not give a penalty. The marshalling system used at Vrooms in GT5 and 6 works very well and if there is anyway for the developers to implement this in PCARS it would be great.

And to all those suggesting that people want to keep the racing to themselves in their own league please read the OP and the comment properly. I have found vrooms to be nothing but friends in welcoming new members and driver and not only welcoming them to race with them but also helping new drivers develop and maximise their potential by sharing tips and running race night to explain set-ups etc. Obviously people are kind of checked to make sure they can race clean and not take people out which is the point of joining a proper league. The guys don't JUST want fast drivers the focus is on clean drivers.

tmitch45
16-05-2015, 07:36
Double post

Slicker_VR
16-05-2015, 13:14
[QUOTE=Slicker_VR;915332]

I see the invite in there now, but it kinda gets lost in the thread. Thread seems more geared toward asking for a fix for monitoring races. It's titled "racing officials"? Without any tools to Marshall with, what are people signing up for? Implied clean racing that's self regulated? Are people going to be saving their replays, then posting them to youtube if they have a complaint.
It comes off more like your group is here for a solution, not to recruit. Which makes sense considering you don't have the tools you need yet.
And because of the attitude comment I mistakenly thought was directed at me, I thought it came off as someone saying they would invite me, but my attitude didn't fit with the group? Which seemed exclusionary for no reason. See where my confusion came from? Cheers. Hope it goes well and you get the tools you need.
There is at least a 30 second gap on twitch you know? Might be a way to utilize that, but pain in the ass and extra bandwidth. Would require a quick relay of protest. Then the Marshall could tune in on twitch stream to see the reported incident. Hopefully he doesn't miss it & see a commercial instead.

I have an ATI GPU, not invidia, so may not move into PC as soon as I hoped. Always interested in a clean series race

the thread was and is totally geared towards getting the tools we need to run our leagues - that was the whole point in posting ;)
any recruitment effect was/is unintentional but welcome as far as i'm concerned, at the moment we aren't running leagues but we do have 'race now' events every night 20:00 to 22:00 BST, anyone who is interested in serious, clean racing with no aids and full damage is welcome to go to the website, register and sign up for the events on the calendar:-

http://www.vrroom.org/

Jinobi
17-05-2015, 23:35
Watching the current action during an online lobby is pretty standard in online games. I don't know why it is missing. It goes without saying. :(

Slicker_VR
18-05-2015, 09:51
Watching the current action during an online lobby is pretty standard in online games. I don't know why it is missing. It goes without saying. :(

true, mate - i hope the devs are reading this thread :)

evanzo7
19-05-2015, 06:02
true, mate - i hope the devs are reading this thread :)

It would be handy for little things too like someone getting disconnected and being able to join again just to watch!
(probably mentioned previously! haha!)

Katilla
19-05-2015, 06:42
This is one of the many things I loved with GT5. And it was with things like this that kept potential wreckers out of the game, or people breaking the rules out of the game.

A funtion like this is seriously needed in Pcars.

but
there is
such

madmax2069
19-05-2015, 06:59
but
there is
such

What are you talking about ?

Slicker_VR
19-05-2015, 11:58
think he may be meaning this facility is available already, it is, but only in practice/qualy sessions, not during the race

tmitch45
19-05-2015, 13:13
Really what we need is an improved GT5/6 lobby environment?

Slicker_VR
19-05-2015, 17:49
Really what we need is an improved GT5/6 lobby environment?
would be nice, but for me the only thing that really matters is the ability to watch the race from inside the room (therefore being able to still speak to the room and control the races) there have been mentions of a future update allowing multiple users to watch from outside the lobby, but this wouldn't really answer our issue

Revvin
20-05-2015, 11:56
<oops wrong thread please delete

Slicker_VR
01-06-2015, 13:07
bump

still hoping for an official response :emptiness:

Slicker_VR
06-06-2015, 10:07
bump

still hoping for an official response :emptiness:

and again

RobMUFC1987
06-06-2015, 11:05
This would be good if they fix monitor mode, especially so we can jump into a friends lobby and watch instead of waiting till the race is finished. Another thing from GT, they have lobbies where as soon as you load in, you can go straight to track while waiting for qualifying or the race starts. Host changes track? Fine, put us back in the lobby while the track loads and jump straight in when it does

Gavin Thomas
06-06-2015, 11:14

I don't mind iRacing and their automated system, I do however hate their payment model (But I won't rant about that here) I do believe that the pay monthly thing does keep a lot of kids away from the game however.

But if I could run a race with official marshals over an automated system I'd choose the real life people!

Freddyforehand
06-06-2015, 11:30
Thats what www.VRroom.org has been doing for the last 4y.. Its a much better system believe me .. Please please please DEVS implement this option, its the only thing that stops this game/sim being the GAME OF CHOICE for many of us who run proper websites for proper simracing. On the track its about respect not algorithms and the only way to create a community like ours which is a army of true simracing enthusiast is to have a Race Official in these rooms. Just allow us to jump onboard with the driver during a race... Because to me its been done on purpose, why else would they take away/lock this option.

IrideGravity
06-06-2015, 23:27
I'm sensing a pattern here when it comes to "user requested features" instead of bug reports.
Another 4+ page thread with no "official" reply.
:culpability:

Slicker_VR
07-06-2015, 13:28
maybe one of the mods could bring this thread to the attention of the devs, pleeeeeeeease

chig88
08-06-2015, 08:10
Never tried it so I'm not sure if it's possible, but could the guy who will be the race official retire to the pitbox & watch the race on the monitor there?

Or does it just kick you back to the main menu when you retire in multiplayer?

Freddyforehand
08-06-2015, 11:17
Yes this is our current workaround but it far from perfect.. I do think that there's a lot of other communities out there missing this same feature.

Please please introduce this feature in a future update.

Slicker_VR
08-06-2015, 14:49
pretty please with bells on???????????

Slicker_VR
09-06-2015, 22:37
guess i'm just pi.. er, whistling into the wind :barbershop_quartet_

IrideGravity
09-06-2015, 23:18
guess i'm just pi.. er, whistling into the wind :barbershop_quartet_

Yeah. Gets a little more silent here everyday.
A month without a patch and dropping dlc on people will do that. Got to capitalize while the gettins good though I guess. No hope for the features were looking for.? I doubt they squash all the bugs either. Just another lousy PC port. It seems.

evanzo7
11-06-2015, 07:52
pretty please with bells on???????????

You have to do a special rain style dance for Mods to appear!

Ian Bell
11-06-2015, 07:53
We're reading everything guys, no mod pointers needed.

I'll leave it to the Network coders but we are adding a lot to the online features over time.

evanzo7
11-06-2015, 07:57
My special touch seems to have done the trick! ;)

Bealdor
11-06-2015, 08:36
Last posts about AI DNFs moved here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29025-Confirmed-Post-44-AI-mechanical-failures-and-DNFs&p=981690&viewfull=1#post981690).

Freddyforehand
11-06-2015, 14:29

I'll leave it to the Network coders but we are adding a lot to the online features over time.

Thank you Ian. We at www.VRroom.org appreciate you taking the time to look at this .. This is such a important feature certainly for our website as we have dedicated staff who love nothing better than the ability to watch/Marshal these rooms.

Slicker_VR
11-06-2015, 17:47

ok, ian, thanks for your response - guess we'll just have to wait and see. :subdued:

SaladCream
12-06-2015, 21:51

Thanks Ian! It seems that these guys have been doing it for years so it would be great to see these guys continue what they are doing :)

Ian Bell
12-06-2015, 21:53
I've already made the initial requests to the network coders. We're working on some things already. Please don't hold your breath though as these things can take a while.

Slicker_VR
12-06-2015, 22:16
I've already made the initial requests to the network coders. We're working on some things already. Please don't hold your breath though as these things can take a while.

thanks again, ian - i'll try to be patient - honest :friendly_wink:

theitalian06
12-06-2015, 22:42
A very big thank you Ian and we will wait as long as is needed. Perfection takes time we know.

VR-42
13-06-2015, 07:56
Great news Ian. Loving the game and loving racing with VRroom.
And best of all is the contact through these forums.

theitalian06
13-06-2015, 11:34
Ian why don't you pop into one of our races,one night. You would be very welcome and it would be an honour for all of us.

SaladCream
16-06-2015, 10:08
I know this thread is about monitoring the races but wouldn't it be nice to be able to watch everyone on a replay and not just yourself?!?

theitalian06
22-06-2015, 15:48
Anymore news on this ???