PDA

View Full Version : Don't make this game something it's not

robstav1
12-05-2015, 11:25
Firstly I must say that this game is so refreshing for a pure Motorsport enthusiast. Over the past 15 years I've owned almost every single realistic racing game on console right from the PS1 days. I've played the odd sim on PC too. And this has to be the best game since the TOCA games on PS2. The true Motorsport racing community has always had quiet home on PC with all the brilliant simulations. Although myself has never owned a gaming PC or any really expensive steering wheels, shifters etc... so as a result I've always enjoyed the 'pick up and play' compatibility of consoles.

Racing for me is all about challenging circuits and proper racing cars. Modern F1 tracks are too big, flat and have tonnes of run off. I'm absolutely ecstatic to see circuits such as Oulton Park, Brands Hatch etc. I've been to these circuits and they are represented perfectly here. The car selection too is astonishing. Utterly brilliant to be honest. I think the touring car section is a little light but surely there will be more to come in the future in the shape of DLC.

But what I'm really trying to get at and what is frustrating me so very much is all the negative comments about the content. Ok there's bugs, but who cares, they'll be fixed. It's comments about: "only having 60-80 cars", "where's the JDM Japanese cars", "where's Ferrari". "Can we drift?" "I want real cars", "It's too hard", that really annoy me. This game isn't that. I've been bored to tears of fantasy street circuits and stock/ standard cars for years. All racing games have them and to me it isn't realistic. Just think about all console racers, can you get a standard Audi R8 or BMW M3? Yes and race it around a fantasy street course? Yes? Think about it!!

I beg the developers to keep on their current track and commend their current efforts. Don't be pressured into going down the same route as everyone else. Just because some 13 year old kids can't drive flat out everywhere in a standard Ferrari, don't change! People don't play FIFA and complain it needs to be more like FIFA Street? or play GTA and say they want it like Saints Row?

It's annoying and quite frankly sad to see. Am I the only one getting increasingly frustrated at these comments or is it just me?

Pablo2008jedi
12-05-2015, 11:30
Yep this is the game I've been waiting for since the PS3. GT5/6 are nothing compared to this. I don't want to earn credits, I don't want to unlock tracks/cars. I wanna race!

poet
12-05-2015, 11:30
But what I'm really trying to get at and what is frustrating me so very much is all the negative comments about the content.

Best just to ignore it.
I like forums, and use them lots and cannot recall 1 single game release of recent years where the boards weren't filled instantly with hate and screaming and foot-stamping and swearing and threats and ............. etc etc etc .............. just because of 1 bug, or some fat kid living in his mums basement who can't "MAX OUT!" the graphics on his quad-SLI titans that she bought him.

Gamers today are quite horrible as a collective, even though it's a minority giving that impression.

marksy
12-05-2015, 11:31
here here finally someone else gets it its a racing game not all the stupid games where you soend loads of money to have a faster stock car than everyone else

Firstly I must say that this game is so refreshing for a pure Motorsport enthusiast. Over the past 15 years I've owned almost every single realistic racing game on console right from the PS1 days. I've played the odd sim on PC too. And this has to be the best game since the TOCA games on PS2. The true Motorsport racing community has always had quiet home on PC with all the brilliant simulations. Although myself has never owned a gaming PC or any really expensive steering wheels, shifters etc... so as a result I've always enjoyed the 'pick up and play' compatibility of consoles.

Racing for me is all about challenging circuits and proper racing cars. Modern F1 tracks are too big, flat and have tonnes of run off. I'm absolutely ecstatic to see circuits such as Oulton Park, Brands Hatch etc. I've been to these circuits and they are represented perfectly here. The car selection too is astonishing. Utterly brilliant to be honest. I think the touring car section is a little light but surely there will be more to come in the future in the shape of DLC.

But what I'm really trying to get at and what is frustrating me so very much is all the negative comments about the content. Ok there's bugs, but who cares, they'll be fixed. It's comments about: "only having 60-80 cars", "where's the JDM Japanese cars", "where's Ferrari". "Can we drift?" "I want real cars", "It's too hard", that really annoy me. This game isn't that. I've been bored to tears of fantasy street circuits and stock/ standard cars for years. All racing games have them and to me it isn't realistic. Just think about all console racers, can you get a standard Audi R8 or BMW M3? Yes and race it around a fantasy street course? Yes? Think about it!!

I beg the developers to keep on their current track and commend their current efforts. Don't be pressured into going down the same route as everyone else. Just because some 13 year old kids can't drive flat out everywhere in a standard Ferrari, don't change! People don't play FIFA and complain it needs to be more like FIFA Street? or play GTA and say they want it like Saints Row?

Its seriously annoying and sad to see. Am I the only one getting seriously annoyed at these comments or is it just me?

robstav1
12-05-2015, 11:32
some fat kid living in his mums basement who can't "MAX OUT!" the graphics on his quad-SLI titans that she bought him.

Gamers today are quite horrible as a collective, even though it's a minority giving that impression.

That last bit did crack me up! Couldn't agree more. People are more likely to comment if they are unhappy with something, and I hope that for every negative comment there is another 100 people having the time of their lives purely racing.

menaceuk
12-05-2015, 11:40

Its seriously annoying and sad to see. Am I the only one getting seriously annoyed at these comments or is it just me?

I agree with 99% of this. The 1% I do not is the "Ok there's bugs, but who cares, they'll be fixed" comment.

I love that the game is trying be a 'pure motorsport' experience and not another Forza or toned down GRID type of game. I want a challenge, I love a challenge.

I only have 2 issues, both a fairly big IMO--will not post her as I have posted them several times-- but once they get sorted the game will be heavenly.

poet
12-05-2015, 11:47
I only have 2 issues, both a fairly big IMO--will not post her as I have posted them several times-- but once they get sorted the game will be heavenly.

Exactly.

There's a few issues, some worse than others, but nothing worth throwing the baby out with the bathwater over. Gamers lately seem massively prone to face-spiting.

Andycoupe
12-05-2015, 11:53
I agree with this a pure racing game

Chris Old
12-05-2015, 12:06
Yep this is the game I've been waiting for since the PS3. GT5/6 are nothing compared to this. I don't want to earn credits, I don't want to unlock tracks/cars. I wanna race!

What made me put down GT6 is when I was driving around in a blue Honda Fit - the car I have in real life. When you have a child or want to throw a bike in the back, its fine. It is not fine to drive around a circuit. Virtually. I just thought 'this... this isnt want I want to be doing!' and left it at that.

Project CARS is a far more exciting and soulful experience that is so much more fun to play and represents racing much better IMHO. And remember - others that think that way are not as vocal as the ones complaining about the bugs or wanting refunds. Im sure lots of us are enjoying the hell out of the game :)

E30_Hntsvl
12-05-2015, 12:18
My thoughts exactly.

maTech
12-05-2015, 12:20
I agree with robstav1! In the career mode everytime I have races with road cars I am very bored. It feels like a mix of Need For Speed and GranTurismo for me.
But when I have races with some GT3, GT4 or LMP cars I have a lot of fun, especially the endurance multiclass races.
For sure the AI is not perfect at the moment but I think it will be over the time. That is what I call racing and what I call a racing game!
Thanks to Slightly Mad Studios! That is what I was searching for!

NemethR
12-05-2015, 13:23
This I very much agree with.

Daffers
12-05-2015, 13:27
Cant agree more with OP
Haters should play nfs or any other arcade racer, this not intended like that.

robstav1
12-05-2015, 13:27
I watched a video on YouTube of someone's first impressions of the game and how they found it "impossible". It was painful to watch him sawing at the wheel constantly with no patience or finesse. Braking too late, braking whilst turning in, braking on the grass, over correcting. You name it :/ So frustrating, I haven't really had any difficulties playing, you've got to approach it maturely and learn each car/ track and build the pace up. I've put the difficulty up with each race whilst I learn and it has been rewarding. I'm running 90% quite comfortably now.

***PS. I'm playing with the game pad as my GT steering wheel isn't compatible (don't get me started on that subject)

NinjaWookiee
12-05-2015, 14:00
I've found pCARS' handling to be the most approachable of any of the racing sims I've touched in the last decade (playing with a wheel, all assists off), in terms of trying out a new car/track combination and keeping it on the road with consistent lap times (AC being a close second). Maybe you need to be in a certain mindset to "play" a simulation and if this is someone's first sim it might be a bit of a culture shock - but I wouldn't want it any other way!

Big Thumbs up to everything OP said!

robstav1
12-05-2015, 15:00
I've found pCARS' handling to be the most approachable of any of the racing sims I've touched in the last decade (playing with a wheel, all assists off), in terms of trying out a new car/track combination and keeping it on the road with consistent lap times (AC being a close second). Maybe you need to be in a certain mindset to "play" a simulation and if this is someone's first sim it might be a bit of a culture shock - but I wouldn't want it any other way!

Big Thumbs up to everything OP said!

Absolutely! I remember when I first gave rfactor a go after years of console gaming. A completely different kettle of fish, but so "pure" and rewarding once mastered. Grid 2 is the worst culprit of everything I have described in this thread. I quickly got bored of aimlessly sliding the cars about with ease and the endless street tracks all with 90 degree turn after 90 degree turn got tiresome. Atleast Grid Autosport was better.

Going back to pCars I really do hope that they can go from strength to strength, attain some more licenses/ series and really give the big cash cows something to worry about. I can't stop praising this game enough. A new standard has been set for sure.

F2kSel
12-05-2015, 15:31
A lot of the negativity comes because many of the bugs and issues have been around for several years and still haven't been fixed.

menaceuk
12-05-2015, 16:15
Exactly.

There's a few issues, some worse than others, but nothing worth throwing the baby out with the bathwater over. Gamers lately seem massively prone to face-spiting.

That is just how gamers in general are nowadays it seems. Instantly read to bash, insult, ridicule a game or other people. If it isn't bugs it is graphics. If it isn't graphics it is resolution. Etc.

NinjaWookiee
12-05-2015, 16:35
Grid 2 is the worst

That game was literally a slap in the face of anybody who takes racing seriously. I was very disappointed too, because I had such fond memories of the first GRID for half-realistically depicting Le Mans. Thanks so much to SMS for refreshing those dusk-lit special moments. Codies seem to be getting it with their new rally game, although I haven't tried it. But yes, arcade racing games and racing sims are two different genres, like Call of Duty and ARMA, but look even more similar, which might be decepting for people who have never tried the let's call it hardcore side of life. You can understand that any developer wants to reach and satisfy as big an audience as possible but at some point that is impossible whilst not making two different games. So I'm glad to see that people playing with controllers/on consoles seem to enjoy the game as much as PC/wheel enthusiasts.

Rhime
12-05-2015, 16:40
/thumbs up on the OP's post...!

menaceuk
12-05-2015, 16:50
That game was literally a slap in the face of anybody who takes racing seriously. I was very disappointed too, because I had such fond memories of the first GRID for half-realistically depicting Le Mans. Thanks so much to SMS for refreshing those dusk-lit special moments. Codies seem to be getting it with their new rally game, although I haven't tried it. But yes, arcade racing games and racing sims are two different genres, like Call of Duty and ARMA, but look even more similar, which might be decepting for people who have never tried the let's call it hardcore side of life. You can understand that any developer wants to reach and satisfy as big an audience as possible but at some point that is impossible whilst not making two different games. So I'm glad to see that people playing with controllers/on consoles seem to enjoy the game as much as PC/wheel enthusiasts.

I loved it. It was a fun game.

NinjaWookiee
12-05-2015, 16:55
I loved it. It was a fun game.

And if you like Project CARS at the same time, that's totally rad and a compliment to SMS!

PorcheDad986
12-05-2015, 16:55
I have only played around with a Ruf RT-8 and a F1 car so far, but the sound is amazing, the graphics are stunning,and the physics - the realism - is phenomenal. I think this drives better than iRacing, better than AC. I think it's a Sim that you can jump into like a game if that's what you want, but if you approach it like a sim, you will get faster and faster and enjoy it more and more. I think the sim racers are loving it, but some of the gamers maybe not so much.

Northstar
12-05-2015, 16:56
OMG Where is the NAAWWWSSSsss (NOS) button and mods at?

J/k =P

I agree with the OP - I really enjoy this game. I look forward to all the future developments!

evohicks
12-05-2015, 17:36
I actually got into online racing with Toca Race Driver 3, the best racing was the Clio Cup, it was really close racing, like the top 6 separated by about 2 seconds. I never thought I'd see that again until last night in P Cars. The racing was awesome, generally clean stuff but the odd rammer was vote kicked. Everyone seemed to be on the same wavelength, giving way in quali etc..
I have been part of Project Cars since 2012 and seen it develop over time and I must admit I'm really pleased with the outcome.
My 3 screens run flawless and my crossfired video cards run the best they have ever done, both maxing out and giving good fps.
Well done to the devs and I'm glad to have been a part of it!

Le Fix
12-05-2015, 19:11
I didn't know I was waiting for this game just until one day prior to its release. I bought it. Haven't looked back. Thought I'd regret it, since I also bought Assetto Corsa (and was hugely dissapointed). PCars didn't dissapoint. I was skeptic though. Because everything is available from the beginning (wtf?). That's unusual. But it acutally works great!

Agreed, there are bugs. They better get fixed. And I also think there's a lack of significant cars and courses. But I trust the game will be updated and the developers will stay true to their mission. To make a game for racers by racers.

Paul Swanepoel
12-05-2015, 19:27
SMS is committed to fixing the remaining bugs - they will be squashed, be assured of that. More cars and courses are coming too !

Martin G Webb
12-05-2015, 19:35
It's refreshing to read that others are now having the same experience WMD members had quite a while ago. Yes it's frustrating when you've paid good money for something and it doesn't meet your expectations, everyone is entitled to their opinion and perspective.

Eric Rowland
12-05-2015, 20:32
/thumbs up on the OP's post...!

Double thumbs up!!:yes::yes:

Barred
12-05-2015, 23:40
I have been waiting so long for P.C. to arrive. I was hoping that it was a chance to relive the glory days of GTR and those that followed on the PC to the PS4. You have not let me and those others who feel the same way down, a big THANK YOU.

You have used the power of these new consoles in a way that they should be, not just tarting up old games for a quick buck.

Please do not water down the experience as there are plenty of other games out that cover those areas for those who want them. Me I want P.C. to remain what it is.

Thank You

gizziegod
13-05-2015, 00:16
i couldnt agree more i had a look in the car wishlist thread and most people are asking for road cars, just more racing cars please

smithy
13-05-2015, 00:41
Agree with OP and most of the others....if you want arcade games and cash for upgrading/progressing cars, look elsewhere. I run a fairly high spec PC and wanted truly top notch PC sims and built my PC to go with them...Pcars and Assetto Corsa and some others didn't disappoint. If you want a real racing sim go with Pcars and/or Assetto Corsa, GPL etc...I like them all.

Some of the cars are indeed very difficult to drive quickly....as they should be....if it was easy we'd all be driving F1 IRL. Try punting the 67 Lotus 49 around a track quickly..! A light car, way too much hp and very little in the way of grip....skating rink comes to mind....it's absolutely awesome and very true to life.... and the graphics engine is equally awesome. Have a look at the detail of the engine & suspension when looking from behind, you can even see the uni joints and shocks etc.. working....a masterpiece...I keep having to remind myself that it's just a game..!

Well done to all who contributed...

Cheers and keep up the good work,
Smithy.

Dutchmountains
13-05-2015, 10:23
But what I'm really trying to get at and what is frustrating me so very much is all the negative comments about the content. Ok there's bugs, but who cares, they'll be fixed. It's comments about: "only having 60-80 cars", "where's the JDM Japanese cars", "where's Ferrari". "Can we drift?" "I want real cars", "It's too hard", that really annoy me. This game isn't that.

Its exactly my feelings...
People look at the fantastic dynamic weather system.
When its raining in real life its raining also on the track (99%)!
I hear no one talking about this unique system.
No game have this.
Its totaly new .

Ok there is work to be done.
Within the time everything is gonna be ok!!

Great job they do and keep up the good work !!!:yes: