PDA

View Full Version : OK you got me beat

Ironfistedmonk
12-05-2015, 12:20
I can't do it, I really can't, I've tried my best and it just isn't good enough, it's beyond my skill set, that damn Caterham!

Running with no assists this thing just skates across the track, it's tyres never heat up and the pre-heated tyres cool down after a handful of laps, whoever did the physics for this car is a cruel cruel man.

Putting the assists on though it's a beautiful car to drive, loved chucking it (tentatively!) round Oulton Park, marvellous.

Any other cars out there people are struggling with?

MysterG
12-05-2015, 12:43
I assume you are talking R500 if so stick with it. ;)

Have you tried the Classic CAT. Really great fun and less power means much harder to get totally out of shape.
I've just spent 20 minute at Snetterton 100 with it and had a blast :cool:

QPRLad
12-05-2015, 12:43
Aston Martin Hybrid Hydrogen Rapide S around Cadwell Park. Struggs

Invincible
12-05-2015, 12:54
Lotus 98T with extremely low downforce on Monza. 3rd gear, full throttle? Welcome to the jungle...

caslad81
12-05-2015, 12:59
[QUOTE=Ironfistedmonk;902065]

Running with no assists this thing just skates across the track, it's tyres never heat up and the pre-heated tyres cool down after a handful of laps, whoever did the physics for this car is a cruel cruel man.

Not sure that the tyres should be cooling down unless your not getting up to speed. Ill give it a try tonight, always up for a challenge!

F2kSel
12-05-2015, 13:03
I can't do it, I really can't, I've tried my best and it just isn't good enough, it's beyond my skill set, that damn Caterham!

Putting the assists on though it's a beautiful car to drive, loved chucking it (tentatively!) round Oulton Park, marvellous.

That's kind of odd as I find the Caterhams in this game amongst the easiest versions I've tried.
If you think they're wild now you should have tried the earlier versions when if felt like they were on ice and the braking system was more realistic as the car would snake around.

Franco Ferrari
12-05-2015, 13:09
Mk.IV on the 'ring... or any other track for what it's worth.

Umer Ahmad
12-05-2015, 13:20
Run the cateham at BRNO , it's a nice wide track with constant radius corners. Really good for practice.

Crouser
12-05-2015, 13:29
Lotus 98T with extremely low downforce on Monza. 3rd gear, full throttle? Welcome to the jungle...

hahaha! ;)

vicdavery
12-05-2015, 14:08
Yeah, 520bhp/tonne on road (albeit soft) tyres. The R500 is something of a handful.
Gentle with the throttle is definitely the key.

Are you using a pad or wheel? It's hard with wheel and pedals, it must be a proper hellcat with a pad. :)

Ironfistedmonk
12-05-2015, 17:15
I was driving the classic Cat, your scaring me off the R500 now! Yeah I'm a pad user, without assists it just slides across the track before doing a bit of Autocross, really difficult for me to handle but I'm not that great at racing games anyway and I'm not afraid to use the assists.

I'm not touching those old F1 Lotuses until I've had a few months practice :)

Yuyuko
12-05-2015, 18:05

Tires running too cool? A lot of the cars default setups ship with tire pressures that are about 5~15% too high, causing the tires to actually COOL DOWN even under very hard cornering. The 125cc Kart is particularly guilty of this, and I wonder if it's the same for the Caterhams.

camillozockt
12-05-2015, 18:09

pfff go turn up the wastegate pressure !!! it goes up to almost 1200 hp ^^ , now thats just no fun at all

Invincible
12-05-2015, 18:25
pfff go turn up the wastegate pressure !!! it goes up to almost 1200 hp ^^ , now thats just no fun at all

I know, thats what I did - pressure to max and you're off the exact moment the turbo kicks in... somehow a WMD member managed to keep it on track with 6 bar and 0 downforce at Monza and even got a decent time...

andyparks
12-05-2015, 18:26
Come here and I'll get my bat out

caslad81
12-05-2015, 19:52
It took me 2 laps to warm the tyres, no cooling though. Great fun tbh! The only downside is the ai with the warm tyres straight from the pit lane!!!

ZnarF
12-05-2015, 20:00

Sadly we lack a Monza track feasible for the age and car, i.e. no chicanes!:)

Aldo Zampatti
12-05-2015, 20:16
Come here and I'll get my bat out

Please avoid such comments. If it was an honest comment, please re-phrase

Invincible
13-05-2015, 10:14
Sadly we lack a Monza track feasible for the age and car, i.e. no chicanes!:)

If I recall correctly, in times of the Lotus 98T (1988 - 1989) Monza already featured those chicanes. So it IS correct for this car / age with the chicanes. The Louts 49 Cosworth though should have been used on the old layout without the chicanes.

The Lotus 72D again would have been a year too late for a no-chicanes-version, as the track has been modernized between 1971 and 1972