PDA

View Full Version : AI Mistakes

Scottien
12-05-2015, 13:36
Firstly, I love this game it finally gives people a proper sim racer for consoles the likes of which Forza and GT don't even compete.

I've been doing alot of full race weekends including all practice sessions and noticed a few things with regards to the AI and their consistency. The AI is really great and miles better than other sim racers that I have played in the past (LFS, iRacing, AC), I love the battles that you can have with them and I think the way they dive up the inside of you to overtake you and tussle with position is just breathtaking. However, what is the deal with regards to cold tyre practice and qualifying laps.

It seems to me that the AI seem to deal with cold tyres in an inhuman way, they don't swerve to try and warm their tyres and they don't seem to have any issues with grip on cold tyres which in reality they would, they seem to drive flat out on these outlaps and seem unaffected by their tyre condition. What this means in reality is that they catch you very quickly on outlaps which means you're looking behind instead of concentrating on warming tyres and trying to get a decent run into the start/finish straight.

Also, within races, the AI seems uber consistent they never seem to make individual mistakes. I see the odd mistake during AI to AI interactions (overtaking, battling etc). However when they're out on their own and doing their own thing they seem to hit every braking spot, every apex and every gear change. I'm not saying to change the difficulty I love how hard the pro settings are but how about the occasional mistake when they're pushing really hard.

Maybe they try and push the braking spot to hard and run wide on a qualifying lap or they spin off after hitting the apex to hard?

I know that the constraints of AI are very difficult to expand on due to CPU limitations but some measure of this might be a nice feature. (Sorry if I worded this in a bug report kind of way it was supposed to be a suggestion)!

Thanks
Scott

tyl3r99
13-05-2015, 22:30
i agree, it seems like AI do not make any mistakes :( want to see that yellow flag appear makes it more interesting ;)

wilf
13-05-2015, 22:47
Also, within races, the AI seems uber consistent they never seem to make individual mistakes. I see the odd mistake during AI to AI interactions (overtaking, battling etc). However when they're out on their own and doing their own thing they seem to hit every braking spot, every apex and every gear change. I'm not saying to change the difficulty I love how hard the pro settings are but how about the occasional mistake when they're pushing really hard.

Maybe they try and push the braking spot to hard and run wide on a qualifying lap or they spin off after hitting the apex to hard?

I know that the constraints of AI are very difficult to expand on due to CPU limitations but some measure of this might be a nice feature. [/B]

Agree that they are great to race against much of the time but I also would like to see them make more mistakes and have more problems. It doesn't help that when they do run off the track, driving on grass or gravel doesn't slow them down in the way it does the user's car.

If you start a race at the back of the grid and stay last for the whole race, even with fields of 40 cars, the entire field always seem to finish in a neat, orderly procession with no AI cars crashing, making serious mistakes, falling off the back of the grid, having mechanical problems, no cars retiring or crashing out. Would love to see them have a bit more fallibility.

riverreveal
14-05-2015, 10:35
Can the AI suffer from mechanical errors? I have yet to see any which is a shame. Anything that adds more immersion to the AI im all for. I know people seem to have a problem with the way the AI drive but I think that part of the AI is great, its the general infallibility that breaks the immersion for me. That and the the randomised strengths of the AI drivers thats been highlighted in other threads.

Mr Akina
14-05-2015, 11:52
If you start a race at the back of the grid and stay last for the whole race, even with fields of 40 cars, the entire field always seem to finish in a neat, orderly procession with no AI cars crashing, making serious mistakes, falling off the back of the grid, having mechanical problems, no cars retiring or crashing out. Would love to see them have a bit more fallibility.

I started at the back of the grid in a Formula C race at Brno; on the first lap a crash ahead had taken out 4 cars. There were wheels and bits of bodywork on the track for the entire race (no Yellow Flags tho). So it does happen. :)

Initia1 B
17-05-2015, 07:32
I too have seen the remnants of crashed cars littering the track. Thing is the tyres, aero parts etc. stay littering the track. Where are the track marshall's to clear things up? As for the A.I. my main grievance is that when im on an out lap and obviously driving with more caution because of cold tyres I'm forever getting rear ended when entering corner's despite being way off the racing line. I too would like to see the A.I. effected by tyre temp. in the same fashion that we the players are.

skells22
17-05-2015, 21:23
I seen cars off in the gravel trap, blocked the hairpin at Azure Circuit (like Gp2 last year and yesterday Pau race F3) and i seen wheels on the track as well, so i think you need to put damage on if you want to see AL cars having issues

wraithsrike
17-05-2015, 22:28
I'm only at season 4 but in that time I've not seen the AI crash at all and I'm running full damage , and yeah they cold / wet tyre grip is amazing.