PDA

View Full Version : In game voice chat quality

Liquid7394
12-05-2015, 14:28
I hate to be a negative nancy but the in game voice chat is really low quality. It's really hard to hear people because everyone ends up sounding like they're talking into a Pringles can, the moment people start talking at the same time then it becomes impossible to hear anyone.

Is there anyway that you could possibly look into improving the voice chat quality in the future maybe? I know you've put a tremendous amount of work into this game but the in game voice is easily the worst part of the game for me.

Liquid7394
24-05-2015, 10:29
Can I get a reponse to this? The in game voice chat has a lot of bass to it, too much in fact. Is there anyway the team can look into possibly lowering the bass on voice chat after the major bugs are fixed? Talking in groups iss difficult and the voice chat gives me a headache sometimes when I use headphones.

tmitch45
24-05-2015, 12:34
I hate to be a negative nancy but the in game voice chat is really low quality. It's really hard to hear people because everyone ends up sounding like they're talking into a Pringles can, the moment people start talking at the same time then it becomes impossible to hear anyone.

Is there anyway that you could possibly look into improving the voice chat quality in the future maybe? I know you've put a tremendous amount of work into this game but the in game voice is easily the worst part of the game for me.

Agreed the voice chat in online lobbies is really bad. When you have to rely on this as there is no chat function its a big let down. I thought GT6 was bad but I'd gladly take the voice quality of GT6 in the pCARs lobby. I have used chat party through the PS4 but that only supports 8 players I think but for limited number lobbies up to 8 its the best work around for now. Its a bit of a pain as you have to get everyone in the room running a parallel voice chat party so please can we have improved voice chat soon.

Carlos81255
24-05-2015, 15:07
I don't think this is a project cars issue I think it's a psn issue I've had this problem on a few games now

HarryHoodlum
24-05-2015, 15:10
Making a private chat party doesn't hurt, though it's just another step to deal with.

tmitch45
24-05-2015, 15:43
I don't think this is a project cars issue I think it's a psn issue I've had this problem on a few games now

It must be a PCARs issue as the party chat via the ps4 and psn is crystal clear. When we have been playing pcars online and switch from lobby chat to psn party chat its like coming inside out of a hurricane!

IrideGravity
24-05-2015, 18:58
Dude. That's whining. Don't listen to more than one or two at a time then. What else would you expect. Radio chatter is radio chatter. Works when used properly. Any extra quality used for audio would just hurt bandwidth. Nobody needs to hear all 16 racers in perfect clarity, impossible anyway.

J00N10R
25-05-2015, 00:53
I hate using my mic, it picks up every little sound, like my wheel shifters. the ps4 needs a push to talk feature so the mic isn't always on.

hobieone
25-05-2015, 05:27
well, in my experience part of the issues i have heard lately is on the users end as well as people don't use the mic setup in the ps4 settings and assume mics work soon as you plug them in, users using cheap mics with no noise cancellation, some have the mic to close to their mouths and thus sound like they swallowed their mic. the only time i use my mic is in private party chat with friends. at least that way everyone is speaking the same language and you don't have to listen to some 8 year old screaming your cheating or start swearing at you when you block them or pass them.

madmax2069
25-05-2015, 05:52
One thing you can do which will instantly make voice in game a lot clearer is to turn down the Mic gain in the PS4s systems settings.

Go to settings on the PS4s menu screen, go down to devices, then select adjust Microphone level and turn it down (at or just under the first line). For some reason the game amplifies the Mic level past what its set in the system setting and cause the voice to be very distorted to the pont of not being able to understand what people are saying (so far this is the only game ive see do this).

You're also going to have to turn down the in game audio settings so that you can hear people (so that the music and sound effects dont drown out peoples voices).

tmitch45
25-05-2015, 08:45
Dude. That's whining. Don't listen to more than one or two at a time then. What else would you expect. Radio chatter is radio chatter. Works when used properly. Any extra quality used for audio would just hurt bandwidth. Nobody needs to hear all 16 racers in perfect clarity, impossible anyway.

All I'm saying is you have 8 people in a lobby using the ingame chat and it sounds terrible mainly the background wind blowing type noise. You then switch to voice chat in a ps party with the same 8 players using the same headsets and its crystal clear this is fact. Yes agreed only 2-3 people talk at one time but when your trying to run an organised event and relay messages this becomes very difficult. In most organised rooms there are more than 8 people who need to listen and talk therefore party chat is not an option. If it helps maybe having a push to talk function would be cool and would make things more realistic.

Liquid7394
25-05-2015, 09:43

So it's whining to ask for decent voice chat? Okay genius. "Don't listen to more than one or two at a time" I have more than two friends. "Nobody needs to hear all 16 racers in perfect clarity, impossible anyway" Didn't ask for perfect clarity, I would like a decrease in bass. Plenty of other games have better voice chat. Your entire comment reeks of stupidity.

Liquid7394
25-05-2015, 09:44
I hate using my mic, it picks up every little sound, like my wheel shifters. the ps4 needs a push to talk feature so the mic isn't always on.

Push to talk would be nice.

Liquid7394
25-05-2015, 09:46
Making a private chat party doesn't hurt, though it's just another step to deal with.

I do use party chat but it's limited to 8 people. Party shouldn't be mandatory for decent communication in any game.

Liquid7394
25-05-2015, 09:50
One thing you can do which will instantly make voice in game a lot clearer is to turn down the Mic gain in the PS4s systems settings.

Go to settings on the PS4s menu screen, go down to devices, then select adjust Microphone level and turn it down (at or just under the first line). For some reason the game amplifies the Mic level past what its set in the system setting and cause the voice to be very distorted to the pont of not being able to understand what people are saying (so far this is the only game ive see do this).

You're also going to have to turn down the in game audio settings so that you can hear people (so that the music and sound effects dont drown out peoples voices).

I know about that, it helps but I still think there's too much bass on Project CARS voice chat, other games work fine.

tmitch45
25-05-2015, 10:50
I know about that, it helps but I still think there's too much bass on Project CARS voice chat, other games work fine.

Yes the bass is one problem but its also overall sound quality and the dreadful background noise on the chat which isn't present on GT5or6 chat. Don't get me wrong I really like the game and think its a huge step forwards for sim racing on PS4 and Xbone but compared to GT6 its a step backwards in quality that's all. No game is perfect the purpose of the forum and this thread is to highlight bugs/problems and to discuss things related to the game. All we are doing here is raising what I think is a problem and discussing options while we (hopefully wait) for the situation to improve. There have been some good suggestions about sound setting (which I will look at) and using party chat. Also the idea about a push to talk function has been discussed which I think would be a great option. So this whining as you call it doesn't seem to have been a waste of time after all does it. And while people keep making argumentative and defensive comments this can only be a good thing as it keeps the topic at the top of the forum.

GHR Gynoug79
27-05-2015, 13:41
Would love to see the voice chat quality being improved. Party chat is not really an option in league races with more than 8 people....

LPlates
27-05-2015, 13:55
+1
This is a genuine issue. Party chat quality is always significantly better for me but we often have more than 8 racers so have to use the in-game chat.

I suspect this is limited by the game to free up bandwidth. If this is the case then please let us decide the quality ourselves with an option in the lobby.

Marcd23
27-05-2015, 15:53
I to think this needs looking into. BUT... there are more important issues that need sorting first in my opinion.

Rod Trip
27-05-2015, 16:41
Yes, that is the matter with the mic, no doubt.

madmax2069
27-05-2015, 16:58
Yes the bass is one problem but its also overall sound quality and the dreadful background noise on the chat which isn't present on GT5or6 chat. Don't get me wrong I really like the game and think its a huge step forwards for sim racing on PS4 and Xbone but compared to GT6 its a step backwards in quality that's all. No game is perfect the purpose of the forum and this thread is to highlight bugs/problems and to discuss things related to the game. All we are doing here is raising what I think is a problem and discussing options while we (hopefully wait) for the situation to improve. There have been some good suggestions about sound setting (which I will look at) and using party chat. Also the idea about a push to talk function has been discussed which I think would be a great option. So this whining as you call it doesn't seem to have been a waste of time after all does it. And while people keep making argumentative and defensive comments this can only be a good thing as it keeps the topic at the top of the forum.

See the whole issue with GT5 and GT6 is that its on a totally different platform, a platform that has a good squeltch system in place (meaning it wont transmit any sound under a set sound level), as well as a way to set up a Mic to where it wont pick up TV sounds that the game produces (a setup in the PS3s system menu for feedback when you choose which Mic to use). The PS4 completely lacks these (so the voice system will always transmit anything it can pick up due to the lack of squelch), and will pick up game audio coming from the TV due to no way to set up the Mic to reject feedback from game sounds (would be good for PlayStation eye/camera users, and users where they dont have game sound coming through their headset). Until SONY implements this on the PS4 you'll always have these issues.

The muffled/bass sounding voice chat is another issue in itself

tmitch45
02-06-2015, 06:58
The other night we were racing online with nine people using the online in game chat. The sound quality was so bad some people couldn't be heard and the background noise was so bad it sounded like we were in the middle of a storm. Now this is all happening pre race on the setup screen where we are trying to relay race rules and instructions to drivers, this also happens during the race as well. Anyway one person left leaving eight so we all switched to ps4 party chat and instantly every person could be heard and the background noise stopped. It was like closing a door to a storm! Now I find it hard to believe that there is nothing that can be done to improve this and I'm not suggesting its an easy fix. The excuses that its peoples mics or headsets, or the way they have things configured just doesn't stack up in the above example where the only difference was chat through the game and chat through PS4 Party. It would be great if this function could be improved to give chat quality like the PS4 party as its so important to be able to communicate with other drivers. If for any reason this cannot be fixed could SMS/WMD please think about giving PS4/Xbone a text chat function so we can at least get accurate info out to drivers all drivers in the lobby. Many thanks for listening to us.

thehotlap
02-06-2015, 13:45
In game sound quality is bad. I with my friends use the party chat, and we all connect through that when playing together. Quality is crystal clear. Of course....this works when your playing with friends and setup in a private lobby. Would certainly be great in order to use the in game voice and meet new people, but all the time the quality is so poor, it won't be happening.

sirsilver1968
02-06-2015, 18:22
The most annoying thing I find is when players are using their cameras for voice chat as it picks up everything, thank God there's the option to mute.

Katilla
03-06-2015, 07:23
The most annoying thing I find is when players are using their cameras for voice chat as it picks up everything, thank God there's the option to mute.

Entire rooms can be muted at the same time? (all Racer)
Or just one at a time?

MULTIVITZ
03-06-2015, 07:38
The band width is unacceptable, the network states 'chat online to other gamers' hmmm yeah right!? Poor show, not fit for purpose really in a legal sense, lose of ablilty to communicate? Nothing to do with Sony as such, but do complain to Sony do. Jmo

jenslaursen89
04-06-2015, 11:11
Funny that the in game chat sucks so bad but the samme players in the playstation party just works? And it would be nice to be able to adjust the sound level of the chat and mute it all together when playing the idiots online who uses mic and surround sound..

sirsilver1968
04-06-2015, 19:18
Entire rooms can be muted at the same time? (all Racer)
Or just one at a time?

I think it's one at a time

hkraft300
04-06-2015, 21:13

Go to settings on the PS4s menu screen, go down to devices, then select adjust Microphone level and turn it down (at or just under the first line).

^THIS +928318247295263486501

Whatever mic you're using just turn the gain down FFS don't wanna hear the echo of your TV...

I think it's one at a time

yes, one at a time. its 1-3 culprits per race/ lobby so its not too bad an issue.

madmax2069
04-06-2015, 21:25

Whatever mic you're using just turn the gain down FFS don't wanna hear the echo of your TV...

yes, one at a time. its 1-3 culprits per race/ lobby so its not too bad an issue.

Turning the Mic gain down won't stop this, all it does it keeps peoples voice from distorting.

Turning down the TV will fix that issue to a point. What we really need is SONY to implement a squelch setting, and a anti feedback setup like the PS3 had (so that it rejects in game sound from being picked yp by the Mic).

As well people need to learn to mute the PS camera and use a normal Mic you plug into the controller (or a set of Tuttle beach). Using thr PS camera as a Mic automatically makes you sound like crap (like you're using a few tin cans and some string).

Spitfire77
04-06-2015, 21:47

I was hoping there was a way to turn off chat in game completely. I use the Sony Wireless Headset so voice chat is on.. I always mute myself and when I am in a bad room I used the Chat vs Game sounds control and dial down the chat as a current solution.

Edit - Could also just start a private party chat and not invite anyone.. that would disable game chat.

tmitch45
06-06-2015, 09:10
This voice chat in game is killing the experience when there are more than 8 in the room and psn party chat is not an option. Please SMS/WMD can this be looked at??

Human
06-06-2015, 09:44
Firstly, SMS and WMD you have done a fantastic job with Pcars, hands down an awesome and encapsulating sim, there may be a few teething issues but I am in it for the long hall and look forward to what the future has to hold for Pcars, keep it coming!!

However, I find the multiplayer lobby chat unbearable, we have tried all volume and gain options but the quality is awful. If there is eight of us we just use the Ps4 chat and the difference is amazing. Pitch perfect and clear, like coming in from a storm force gale. I am sure it will be addressed in the future, just my thoughts. Keep up the good work !!

siemens123
06-06-2015, 13:10
besides fixing audio chat in online (which is terrible) , SMS could add a writing chat , just like GT6 had.

i'm mostly interested in a chat, than what car the X choose and other useless details ... and i guess the writing chat will go well with making the possibility of ppl to watch races (after u had an incident or u just came in too late).