PDA

View Full Version : pCARS overheating PS4

Josh3701
12-05-2015, 18:32
Every time I (and many others) play an extended session of maybe 2 or 3 hours, the PS4's fan goes crazy and often gets really loud. This hasn't happened to this extent on any other game except pCARS.

Although this isn't exactly SMS's job to deal with entirely, I thought that you guys could find a way to tone down the stress on the console without lowering any qualities of the game? Because I have had a forced shut down of my PS4 due to overheating once since the release, and I worry for any long term damage to my console.

staticthreat
12-05-2015, 18:34
Every time I (and many others) play an extended session of maybe 2 or 3 hours, the PS4's fan goes crazy and often gets really loud. This hasn't happened to this extent on any other game except pCARS.

Although this isn't exactly SMS's job to deal with entirely, I thought that you guys could find a way to tone down the stress on the console without lowering any qualities of the game? Because I have had a forced shut down of my PS4 due to overheating once since the release, and I worry for any long term damage to my console.

Just a tip because I do this every few weeks. Take a Q-tip and wipe down the side intake vents of your system, you might be surprised at how much dust can actually collect there.

Timmynator
12-05-2015, 18:36
Turning the question around, how is your PS4 positioned? Is it inside a cabinet, on top of it, are there other items sitting right next to it contributing their own warm air etc. ?

Maybe it's just a case of moving the PS4?

Josh3701
12-05-2015, 18:36
Just a tip because I do this every few weeks, take a Q-tip and wipe down the side intake vents of your system, you might be surprised at how much dust can actually collect there.

I do the occasional quick dust of the system but never do I do a thorough dusting. Will try soon, thanks!

Josh3701
12-05-2015, 18:40
Turning the question around, how is your PS4 positioned? Is it inside a cabinet, on top of it, are there other items sitting right next to it contributing their own warm air etc. ?

Maybe it's just a case of moving the PS4?

It's stood vertically on top of a desk, and I don't have any heat-producing devices near it when I'm playing.

Umer Ahmad
12-05-2015, 18:43
Yup, project cars is known to peg the hardware. On PC I can adjust this by fps capping to the level I find suitable but you guys don't have such a luxury on consoles. Strong gaming PCs running at full blast can warm up a small room in minutes.

Keep the air flowing INTO/OUT-OF and AROUND the unit at all times. Put a small fan on it if necessary.

RJ_Whitlock_556
12-05-2015, 18:44
It's stood vertically on top of a desk, and I don't have any heat-producing devices near it when I'm playing.

You're covering an intake vent by standing it vertically (unless you have a certain vertical stand that allows airflow). I have mine horizontally with extra rubber bumpers that raise it up. I spent two hours playing nonstop and didn't have a problem.

I would still do the q-tip trick, something I should do myself.

MONKEY3._.
12-05-2015, 18:46
Are you disc or digital?

Josh3701
12-05-2015, 19:04
Are you disc or digital?

Disc.

Josh3701
12-05-2015, 19:06
You're covering an intake vent by standing it vertically (unless you have a certain vertical stand that allows airflow). I have mine horizontally with extra rubber bumpers that raise it up. I spent two hours playing nonstop and didn't have a problem.

I would still do the q-tip trick, something I should do myself.

The intake vents I presume are exclusively on the USB-port side of the console? Otherwise I've still got air being allowed through. And besides, I've got no space to lay it horizontally anyways :p

Helmethead1031
12-05-2015, 19:47
I'm guessing this was tested with Sony and passed approval before launch. I play The Golf Club on PS4 and the fan runs overtime on that game. I emailed Sony and was assured the fan was working properly and was told they had tested the game to ensure it was not overworking the fan.

HarryHoodlum
12-05-2015, 20:13
Disc.

Shouldn't matter much anyway, now that all games are read from the HDD and the disc is simply an authenticator.

MONKEY3._.
12-05-2015, 20:22
It's just on the streams I've been watching on pslive the steamer was digital and was fine but another in his lobby was disc and complaining of a red hot ps4. thought it could be something to do with it. Seems like an issue starting to surface after prolonged play time with disc. Ps4 will still spin the disc every now and then, got to cause extra heat.

MrTRAPPER
13-05-2015, 00:05
Just happened to me after playing for a hour and then decided to take a pic in a thunderstorm to get a good pic. Then my ps4's fan start going crazy had to back out of photo mode and the fan was still loud. I ended up turning it off just to make sure I didn't overheat it.

Dreco
13-05-2015, 00:06
Game is too hot! (literally)

loslogo
13-05-2015, 00:08
Mine runs great endlessly, i'd try putting your ps4 horizontally

jezza599
13-05-2015, 01:01
Guys the problem is not covered vents because this only happens with pCARS and is also related to the crashing problem my system as more than the 10 cm of space recomended by sony and as for dust its practicly zero (i checked) because my system is brand new only a few months old

SL1DE
13-05-2015, 02:58
Just a tip because I do this every few weeks. Take a Q-tip and wipe down the side intake vents of your system, you might be surprised at how much dust can actually collect there.

I haven't had overheating problems, but I should probably do that. I haven't touched my PS4 since I got it last February. Got a thick as layer of dust on it. xD

IrideGravity
13-05-2015, 03:40

May seem trivial, but I mean it when I say get a fan. You have got to move some air around your ps4. Especially if it's sitting in a shelf pocket or something. Also, this gens system sits too close to the surface it sits on to allow airflow underneath. Stack some pennies or anything under it to get it more than 1/8 inch off desk.
Every title will heat up a ps4 in an extended session. It's a powerhouse processor and graphics chip and almost every game is GPU intensive. If your not utilizing a fan, expect to take some breaks especially if it's more than 70 in your house. In the winter my ps4 is a heat source and entertainment.
Anyway, chances are your doing the equivalent if leaving your baby in the car with the windows rolled up on a hot day.

cwinnbari
13-05-2015, 04:28
Random thought, are you multi-tasking on your PS4?

With the new update you could potentially have games running in the background (or other apps). When you're not playing do you power off your PS4 or put it in sleep?

Josh3701
13-05-2015, 06:08
I power off, and I normally am in a party, but that's what I almost always do in any game.

R2Dom2
13-05-2015, 08:37
I never turn my PS4 off at the end of a session. Always put it in suspend mode so the fans keep running until the fans have cooled it down. Having a hot PS4 and then just turning the thing off can't do the internals much good.

Nktrnl
13-05-2015, 09:34
I had a overheating issue with my PS3. After that I picked up a cheap laptop cooler. It's a flat stand with a couple fans pushing air to cool the laptop. I keep all my systems on these coolers now.

MrStef85
13-05-2015, 10:21
I have no issues...ive got the digital edition.

hkraft300
13-05-2015, 18:02
I've done 3-5 hour stints on pCars. PS4, sitting flat.

Takes it like a champ.

Joff81
25-05-2015, 16:13
The fan on my ps4 went crazy the other night but I was running 35 cars at the Hockenheimring with storm weather settings. I used the 90s DTM cars and managed half a lap before the wan went to max speed. Before that I was playing for about 2 hours the the internal fan was not too loud. After finishing the 5 lap race and exited to the menu the fan throttled back within 10 seconds.
It seems a combination of the stormy weather and a big grid causes the ps4 to be under quite a bit of processing load and heat it up

Ian Bell
25-05-2015, 16:14
We are pushing every core of the PS4 to 99%+ under heavy load. The GPU is worked to hell and back at above 95% at all times.