PDA

View Full Version : Ruf RGT-8 GT3 - setup for better behaviour over bumps - Eau Rouge

DreamWeaver
12-05-2015, 18:59
I am having massive trouble to keep up with the AI even at 80 through Eau Rouge. The crest of Eau Rouge is very bumpy but the AI has no trouble. When I try to take it with the same speed I always loose the car over these bumps. The rear just breaks away violently. I raised the ride height, made it softer etc. but the car is still bouncing too much. On the other hand the AI cars seem to flow nice and steady like the bumps don't exist.

Any ideas for the setup?

yusupov
12-05-2015, 19:03
are you using traction control? i am not sure if i was or not but i took eau rouge flat out in this car & it seemed i could consistently crest it without an offtrack or spin, but it was very violent & tbh felt like i was cheating, did not feel like i should be getting away with it. idk if i had TC on or not & i think it was default setup so probably more downforce than youre running.

DreamWeaver
12-05-2015, 19:16
No assists. Wings are set to 1 / 3, but I think tyre grip and downforce is not the problem here. I could take eau rouge almost flat if it weren't for the bumps at the turn left crest that unsettle the car so much.

Ramiboo
11-06-2015, 14:34
did you sort this out. I'm just on the hunt for any setup tips for this car. I've heard that softening the front springs will make it not bounce at the front as much. I've yet to try it. Any other help out there?

JeyD02
11-06-2015, 14:38
Tighten up the dampers.

Ramiboo
24-06-2015, 14:25
all of them? Slow/Fast Bounce/Rebound? Surely this'll just put more load on already overheating tires??

graveltrap
24-06-2015, 17:49
I'd try softening fast bump a couple of clicks then use fast rebound to adjust the car behaviour over the bumps.

Is it bottoming out, do you hear a nasty grinding sound?

JeyD02
24-06-2015, 17:53
No assists. Wings are set to 1 / 3, but I think tyre grip and downforce is not the problem here. I could take eau rouge almost flat if it weren't for the bumps at the turn left crest that unsettle the car so much.

Can you post your current car setup and what exactly you experiencing?

Okay, soften bumps, increase bump stop, lower ride high a bit, harden spring rate both front and rear, Stiffen fast rebound. Check how it plays it out. Also make sure you have good tire pressure, if it's too hit increase the pressure

rocafella1978
29-06-2015, 18:18
I'd try softening fast bump a couple of clicks then use fast rebound to adjust the car behaviour over the bumps.

Is it bottoming out, do you hear a nasty grinding sound?

what do you adjust when you hear the nasty grinding sound? or way more sparks than usual? (bottoming out, but what to adjust?)

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
29-06-2015, 19:13
The Ruf RGT-8 does indeed have very soft dampers. Here, let me quickly calculate something for you...

http://i57.tinypic.com/an1pmq.jpg

More controlled damping over bumps with default springs.
http://i58.tinypic.com/303it1t.jpg

Alternate springs, ARB and damper settings for less front stiff bias, can help make the car feel more nippy. Probably requires an LSD change as well (something like in the other cars should work, like 20-30 acc, 30-40 dec, 40-100 preload) because the less understeery setup can make the car more prone to rotating with the almost open differential the car runs by default.

http://i60.tinypic.com/1zl6lcm.jpg

Equation
29-06-2015, 19:34
What is that Excel calculator, Jussi?

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
30-06-2015, 03:56
It's a little something (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22501-Project-Cars-Tuning-Guide-3f-and-case-studies-now-live!&p=1017700&viewfull=1#post1017700) I've worked on during the development of the game, and something that will be integrated in the setup sharing website (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32940-A-new-home-for-all-your-setups) eventually, if only people weren't asking RimanDK to put in unnecessary stuff like "console/mobile friendly views", "translations" etc. =)

I'm currently teetering on the edge of whether to release it publicly after all or not, since it probably will take quite a while before we'd get it up on the site, what with all the other feature requests people keep making.

SGETI
30-06-2015, 21:29
will a couple case's of beer or a very good bottle of your favorite spirit make you"teeter" towards posting? Hope to see it soon. thanks again.

Mr.Smoke
02-07-2015, 10:23
Ive started using this car on a regular basis & really like it for the most part. Its an absolutely fantastic car in the rain which i like very much. Still have to adjust some things on the car, but want to get my current issue sorted out first.

Im experiencing some slight pulling back n forth at high speed straights. Its accompanied by some FFB and makes it difficult to hold a smooth straight line.

If anyone else has had this issue with the RUF and managed to correct it, could you be so kind as to share what you did to fix it?

graveltrap
02-07-2015, 10:47
Setup wise toe and caster effect straight line stability, try a bit more toe in at the rear.

This could also be a FFB setup problem, but no idea where to start on that!

Mr.Smoke
02-07-2015, 11:00
Setup wise toe and caster effect straight line stability, try a bit more toe in at the rear.

This could also be a FFB setup problem, but no idea where to start on that!

Will give that a go later today, thanks. Just to check, a negative setting is toe in, where positive is toe out, correct?

I will also try turning FFB off to see if its possibly causing the instability. Once again, appreciated.

graveltrap
02-07-2015, 11:10
It is the other way round, negative value is toe out, a positive value is toe in.

Mr.Smoke
02-07-2015, 14:36
It is the other way round, negative value is toe out, a positive value is toe in.

Thanks once again for the quick response. Hopefully some subtle changes to the car settings will help the stability.

AdM1
02-07-2015, 23:45

Which is a brain fuck for me and its the only car I notice it on but turning the front toe slider to the left, as in toe out improves it's stability issues at high speed.

That is what I found anyway. Did think it was a bit strange..

Mr.Smoke
02-07-2015, 23:55
Which is a brain fuck for me and its the only car I notice it on but turning the front toe slider to the left, as in toe out improves it's stability issues at high speed.

That is what I found anyway. Did think it was a bit strange..

So a toe out setting on the front of the RUF huh? Im hoping to get online soon & tinker with it.

AdM1
03-07-2015, 00:27
So a toe out setting on the front of the RUF huh? Im hoping to get online soon & tinker with it.

It seems to have worked for me so I'd love to see if it works for anyone else and if so, why? Seems odd toe out would stabilise a car.

Mr.Smoke
03-07-2015, 00:33
It seems to have worked for me so I'd love to see if it works for anyone else and if so, why? Seems odd toe out would stabilise a car.

I will test it out & see what happens. I really like this car, especially in the rain, but the stability issue at high speed is annoying. Havent encountered another car in this game that has the issue as bad as this one.

jimmyb_84
03-07-2015, 06:37
The Ruf RGT-8 does indeed have very soft dampers. Here, let me quickly calculate something for you...

http://i57.tinypic.com/an1pmq.jpg

More controlled damping over bumps with default springs.
http://i58.tinypic.com/303it1t.jpg

Alternate springs, ARB and damper settings for less front stiff bias, can help make the car feel more nippy. Probably requires an LSD change as well (something like in the other cars should work, like 20-30 acc, 30-40 dec, 40-100 preload) because the less understeery setup can make the car more prone to rotating with the almost open differential the car runs by default.

http://i60.tinypic.com/1zl6lcm.jpg

Thats impressive!! I'll stop requesting things for the setup website until that is added :)

Mellowyellow
05-07-2015, 18:24
Thought i would share my setup for the RUF RGT GT3 at Spa. I'll admit it's s tad extreme but it's got me in the mid 2:17's. The RUF is always going tho be a handful over Eau Rouge. For me its the understeer that I was trying to eliminate.

Please bare in mind that the testing was done without tire wear, fuel usage and the only assist used was ABS. Manual gears on DS4.

Fuel load 6 litres

Brake mapping 4

Restrictor 45.1mm

Tire compound soft

Brake pressure 100%

Brake balance 54%

Brake duct 0.00%

Steering ratio 3.4:1

LSAL 30%

LSDL 60%

LSP 0N-m

Radiator 0.00%

Gearing not adjusted.

Like I said its a bit extreme but it works for me. I've tried changing everything but to no avail. I don't know how it would work with tire wear fuel etc.

Hope it helps.

EDIT SWAY BARS

Front sway bar is 55N/mm (soft)

Rear sway bar is 55N/mm (stiff)

Mr.Smoke
05-07-2015, 23:00
Ive managed to get this car much more stable at high speed. I switched from Jacks bumps+ FFB to his 66% settings which helped out somewhat.

I got about 8 different tunes from a friend who had found them online & went through them. Once i found the one that felt best, i made some small changes to better suit me. More adjusting needs to be done still i think, but the car feels so much better.

I will post up settings later on, as im away from the house right now.

AdM1
06-07-2015, 03:21
Did the toe out on the front help like it did for me or am I the only one? lol.

Mr.Smoke
06-07-2015, 03:42
Did the toe out on the front help like it did for me or am I the only one? lol.

Oddly enough, it did seem to reduce the instability. It is still there, but not as bad as before. Ive noticed its worse on some tracks, but i still believe its something i can get rid of completely with proper adjustments.

The RUF has become my new favourite GT3 car!!

Globespy
18-08-2015, 00:03
Oddly enough, it did seem to reduce the instability. It is still there, but not as bad as before. Ive noticed its worse on some tracks, but i still believe its something i can get rid of completely with proper adjustments.

The RUF has become my new favourite GT3 car!!

Please post your final setup! Thanks.

Benja190782
23-08-2015, 12:20
Please post your final setup! Thanks.

This! Please post your settings!