PDA

View Full Version : Career Mode - AI driver speed

fallfromgrace
12-05-2015, 20:27
Another thread about AI skill, although this thread touches on a slightly different subject.

I must say I really, really enjoy the AI in career mode. Each race in the GT3 Euro Championship was, for example, a great battle. Problem is the championship in itself became a blowout because of the fact that each AI driver could only perform in specific races. The drivers that drove like demons on Brno were nowhere to be seen at Spa, etc. Some of it boils down to which GT3 that suits the track, surely. The Mercs were super dominant at Barcelona. The Audi performed better at Spa. My impression though is that the a lot comes down to a certain rate of randomness in which drivers that will perform at certain tracks in a given championship.

I can't swear on this "issue" being an actual fact. It could all be random happenings. In the 10-15 championships I've played this has happened everytime though. Even in the one make series (Clio, Formula Rookie), which seems like where there should really be a couple of drivers that perform better over the course of a full season.

For me, this will be a problem down the line. I suppose championships outside of career mode will be implemented at some point. Surely these will be much more entertaining for all of us if there's actually a top end of the driver pool, instead of everybody having one weekend where they perform.

Another cool feature for these eventual championships would be a feature that would present us with the opportunity to select which specific cars that the championship would consist of. Perhaps even choose the difficulty level for each car/driver. Just an idea.

So, I would very much enjoy hearing some kind of "official" wording on my thoughts, as well as general opinions. Are the AI drivers randomly quick at each round or is there something more to it? Games like GT Legends have special "talent" files which determined how fast each driver were. Are files like these used in PC as well?

riverreveal
13-05-2015, 09:11
After racing in career mode I have also come to the same conclusion that the drivers attributes seem random. I would like to know if this is true, or as fallfromgrace says is there more to it? If they are random Id love to see the AI given more of a persistent personality in the future and tools to customise it would be the icing on the cake.

Thales Baptista
16-05-2015, 03:38
These ideas were given in the development forum a time ago. I was hoping they would include it in the final version but they didnīt. Such a small programing would have a big impact on career immersion. I really dont get it.

Martin03
16-05-2015, 06:05
Yeah, the game really needs this. I have great races on career but the championships...are not that close...And maybe its easyer to add team stats? I mean since the AI drivers are changed every season, but the teams are not. So maybe make some teams better then others?...

Francorchamps
16-05-2015, 10:24
Yes they should make it so that that their top 3 tiers have their own "legend" drivers. 6 AI Drivers in tier 3, 2 and 1 with a personal driving style, their own story and pure winners. Also your team mate should be more on par with your results, he actually should be like your ghost. It would all make the career much more fun when it's well implemented.

Daffers
17-05-2015, 07:25
Another thread about AI skill, although this thread touches on a slightly different subject.

I must say I really, really enjoy the AI in career mode. Each race in the GT3 Euro Championship was, for example, a great battle. Problem is the championship in itself became a blowout because of the fact that each AI driver could only perform in specific races. The drivers that drove like demons on Brno were nowhere to be seen at Spa, etc. Some of it boils down to which GT3 that suits the track, surely. The Mercs were super dominant at Barcelona. The Audi performed better at Spa. My impression though is that the a lot comes down to a certain rate of randomness in which drivers that will perform at certain tracks in a given championship.

I can't swear on this "issue" being an actual fact. It could all be random happenings. In the 10-15 championships I've played this has happened everytime though. Even in the one make series (Clio, Formula Rookie), which seems like where there should really be a couple of drivers that perform better over the course of a full season.

For me, this will be a problem down the line. I suppose championships outside of career mode will be implemented at some point. Surely these will be much more entertaining for all of us if there's actually a top end of the driver pool, instead of everybody having one weekend where they perform.

Another cool feature for these eventual championships would be a feature that would present us with the opportunity to select which specific cars that the championship would consist of. Perhaps even choose the difficulty level for each car/driver. Just an idea.

So, I would very much enjoy hearing some kind of "official" wording on my thoughts, as well as general opinions. Are the AI drivers randomly quick at each round or is there something more to it? Games like GT Legends have special "talent" files which determined how fast each driver were. Are files like these used in PC as well?

exactly this, i can't understand why they chose random ai.
If you look at rfactor for example there is a talent factor for each driver.

Luke Townsend
17-05-2015, 07:41
+100 Really love this idea! Persistent AI talent in varying amounts. Would make the AI group more realistically in the races - currently they stick to each others tails pretty much for the first few laps, whereas in reality drivers usually end up in groups of different sizes or on their own for a while.

fallfromgrace
23-05-2015, 21:07
The more I play career mode, the more this becomes a glaring issue for me. Single weekends are great but career championships aren't as much. Kinda need to treat every race as a standalone one. The longevity of the game would be increased by quite a lot if AI drivers were to be more personalized. Just won the FC Euro even though I DNFed half of the races. Sure, bugs need to be taken care of first, but is this idea something that's being thought of? Would greatly improve the game for, what it seems, a lot of us.