PDA

View Full Version : Question about optimization on Xbox One

Colossal
12-05-2015, 21:52
I would like to know if SMS have taken advantage of the freed up GPU power that was previously reserved for the Kinect, which gives an option for developers to take advantage of that --- for example, Destiny was originally going to run at 900p, the beta did, but this allowed Bungie to bump it up to 1080p. Does anyone know if they (SMS) have used the 10% power that was previously reserved for Kinect?

Also they later opened up part of the 7th core previously reserved for UI so allow even more power to developers, what about that too?

I'd like to know.

EDIT: confirmed that they have utilized the 7th core update, still no word on the GPU update which freed up 10% power.

Lukeymonster
12-05-2015, 21:56
Yes they are. There was a bunch of news stories a few weeks ago outlining the utilization of the 7th core.

Here is one of the articles. They all use the same press clip anywhere you look.
http://wccftech.com/project-cars-7th-core-xbox-cpu-offload-tasks-game-utilizing-amds-eqaa/

Colossal
12-05-2015, 21:57
Okay, that's the 7th core but was that a yeah about the 10% that was previously reserved for Kinect also?

Im Sorry
12-05-2015, 22:02
I'm starting to think the Xbox one isn't up to running this game properly!!

chillgreg
12-05-2015, 22:05
I believe the Kinect resource was freed up as part of the SKD provided to developers, probably similar to the updates we receive as end-users. It's a fairly safe assumption that development teams would already be using it.

Until DX12 comes along later this year, any further optimisations will likely be in "code efficiency", as the engine will already be using ~100% of the hardware's capabilities.

Of course I too would like to hear further clarifications from SMS/WMD on this :)

Lukeymonster
12-05-2015, 22:11

When running into the issues I can see how you could draw that conclusion. After tinkering and trying to workarounds I have to disagree though. It took me awhile to setup my controls the way I like but now it is gravy. Unfortunately its hard to take someone else's settings and have it work for you. I tried last night and came to the conclusion that I just needed to practice and build my own. The cars are all so different and everyone uses their controller in sims differently.

It can run the game even in the demanding weather conditions with very little issue. Check out this thread if you want to try some of the workarounds for FPS.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23107-Workaround-for-Fps-drop!/page3

chillgreg
12-05-2015, 22:20

Relax a tad mate ;)

It's now common knowledge (and really the subject of a whole 'nother debate) that Don Matrick and whoever else was responsible at the time had a deeply flawed vision for the Xbox as a home entertainment platform, investing billions into Kinect R&D and the (now defunct) Xbox entertainment division. This lead to budgetary shortcomings for hardware development, and along with other equally-flawed decisions resulted in (from a pure gaming perspective) the hardware being somewhat neutered. The subsequent releasing of Kinect resource and the extra core may have (slightly) helped game performance, but the side effect is a sluggish OS and interface. Have you noticed how long it takes to open the friends list/party app/invites/achievements?

The billions that went into Kinect resulted in a CPU equivalent to a lowly laptop CPU, and the GPU, while slightly more powerful, still only equivalent to an aging HD7850. The only saving grace is the efficiency (ironically forced upon them by the requirement to minimise heat and power to avoid RROD style hardware failure) of the unified SOC architecture with the adoption of a small pool of ultra fast ESRAM for caching and the (still relatively massive) 8GB of unified RAM.

We (both PS4 and Xbone) could have been enjoying the fruits of significantly higher specification hardware and true 1080p/60fps, but Matrick and his executive cronies took their millions of $ for doing a shitty job and ran for the hills, leaving Phil Spencer and his team mopping up the mess.

Now we either convert to PC elitists (sorry meant enthusiasts lol) or stick to our preferred console platform, and just grin and bear the glaring inadequacies of the current gen until the next generation comes along in a few years. Or more... :s

Ixoye56
12-05-2015, 23:07
Will PC Cars take advantage of DX12 when it becomes available ?

SMS PC Lead
13-05-2015, 01:16
I would like to know if SMS have taken advantage of the freed up GPU power that was previously reserved for the Kinect, which gives an option for developers to take advantage of that --- for example, Destiny was originally going to run at 900p, the beta did, but this allowed Bungie to bump it up to 1080p. Does anyone know if they (SMS) have used the 10% power that was previously reserved for Kinect?

Also they later opened up part of the 7th core previously reserved for UI so allow even more power to developers, what about that too?

I'd like to know.

EDIT: confirmed that they have utilized the 7th core update, still no word on the GPU update which freed up 10% power.

Yes we used the GPU update and the extra power that was reserved for Kinect for our rendering.

koda.72
13-05-2015, 01:44
So do I have to disconnect my Kine ct to get the extra processing power?

TenthDan
13-05-2015, 01:53

Give it a try and let us know your findings...

thisisbleep
13-05-2015, 02:20
The developers are looking into improving tracks with areas of lower performance and they already mentioned gaining something like 4-7% in performance, so it should improve during the next few updates.

SMS PC Lead
13-05-2015, 02:55
The developers are looking into improving tracks with areas of lower performance and they already mentioned gaining something like 4-7% in performance, so it should improve during the next few updates.

A further 2% was gained today, so the performance increase in an upcoming patch will be around 6-9% depending on the complexity of scene, number of AI etc.

ElusiveAura
13-05-2015, 02:59
Quick question SMS PC Lead. I read the patch notes but didn't see it mentioned besides rumble triggers. Will this patch fix all the controller issues (not just the left or right movement being locked and causing a wreck) we are experiencing and is there a way to give us an option to lock at 30fps? Thank you.

Lukeymonster
13-05-2015, 04:59
A further 2% was gained today, so the performance increase in an upcoming patch will be around 6-9% depending on the complexity of scene, number of AI etc.

SMS PC Lead - With my digital version installed on an external drive Ive been seeing great performance, as have others over in the FPS thread. There was a point today where the FPS tanked with a full Clio Cup field and rain. I just hard reset my xbox and tried again and it ran as smooth as glass and has been ever since. I just tried a full field at Le Mans and saw very little fps drops. Why would the reset have made such a big difference? Can performance leak over time?

thisisbleep
13-05-2015, 05:26
SMS PC Lead - With my digital version installed on an external drive Ive been seeing great performance, as have others over in the FPS thread. There was a point today where the FPS tanked with a full Clio Cup field and rain. I just hard reset my xbox and tried again and it ran as smooth as glass and has been ever since. I just tried a full field at Le Mans and saw very little fps drops. Why would the reset have made such a big difference? Can performance leak over time?

It could be a cache issue, where it is storing old files and not removing them when no longer required, which will reduce the performance.

Pepsighost
13-05-2015, 09:04
One question @ Ian Bell or anyone else from SMS I know you're all very busy trying to sort out the wealth of teething problems with the game .you state the game is built for the future does this mean it will be taking advantage of DX12 when it becomes available to the console ?
P.S the game is good at the moment ,once the bugs are sorted it has the potential to be great

nissan4ever
13-05-2015, 10:27
If you playing an Xbox One game & have kinect, take a look at it while playing a game. If the developer is using the freed up power from kinect, the 3 infra-red lights won't light up on kinect. 2 games that do this are GTA V & Forza Horizon 2 while playing the game (when in pause screen on either, lights come back on). I noticed on my kinect that Project Cars is already using that extra power from kinect. Unplugging kinect changes nothing. There are lots of kinect less Xbox One's out there.

Finally, I saw on a thread here, they will not further optimize this game for DX12 when Microsoft releases it later this year.

SMS PC Lead
13-05-2015, 11:48

The game automatically disables Kinect - you don't need to disconnect :)

HBK
13-05-2015, 12:01
As nissan4ever said, check your Kinect. If the 3 red leds are off, then Kinect is disabled by the game and said game can use its resource reservation (both CPU and GPU).

Beware though that many games reactivate Kinect while in their menu screens (as per Microsoft guidelines), though not all games do this (I don't think pCARS does).

bobblebob
13-05-2015, 12:24
Rebooting the machine helps with framerate/stutter so dunno if there is some memory leak issues?

Wingles
13-05-2015, 18:53
The Xbox One has had an issue since launch with random performance drops. If I recall it is due to a memory dump issue or lack thereof. Essentially it doesn't dump the memory like it should and can lead to UI and general system performance and stability issues. When this happens most users cycle the Xbox One to resolve the issue. Though it will happen again over time. I ran into Project CARS performance issues last night while playing and forgot about this issue. I'll try a power cycle when I get home. Hopefully it will help.

From the xbox.com support site...two options. I always do the physical power cycle option.

Power Cycle Console via UI

1.Go to the Home screen.
2.Press the Menu button on the controller.
3.Select Settings.
Note You can say “Xbox, go to settings” from any screen, but you’ll need a controller once you’re on the Settings screen.
4.Go to Power & startup.
5.Select Turn Xbox Off.
6.Select Yes. The console powers down.
7.Turn your console back on by pressing the Xbox button on the console or the Xbox button on your controller.

Note: If you don't see the green boot-up animation when the console restarts, repeat these steps. Make sure that you hold the power button until the console completely shuts down.

Physically Power Cycle the Console

1.Turn off your console by holding the Xbox button on the front of the console for approximately 10 seconds. The console will power down.
2.Turn your console back on by pressing the Xbox button on the console or the Xbox button on your controller.
Note If you don't see the green boot-up animation when the console restarts, repeat these steps. Make sure that you hold the power button until the console completely shuts down.

Important: If your console is in Instant-On power mode, the above steps will shut the console completely off. Instant-On mode, or the ability to turn on your console by saying "Xbox on," won't be enabled until you restart the console.

WildcatKNH
13-05-2015, 20:11
Just a little heads up as some XB1 users may not know about this, but if there is an issue with caching (as was mentioned above as a possible issue), there is a way to manually clear at least some of the XB1's cache.

It can be found at:
Settings > Disc & Blu-ray > Persistent Storage > Clear persistent storage

I've read some say that this cache is only used by DVDs or Blu-rays ... bit I've also read others say that this cache is also a non-recyclable 'temp' area for the XB1's OS. I have also read multiple places from MS support personnel (and been told this personally through MS phone support) that it is a good idea to clear the persistent storage occasionally ... and particularly if you're having issues. Can't hurt to try this if you're experiencing any problems.

Benja190782
13-05-2015, 20:12
The game automatically disables Kinect - you don't need to disconnect :)

But we need an external HD installation of Project CARS to run this as smooth on Xbox One, as on the PS4 version?

My game is stuttering alot on Oulton Park and Watkins Glen with only 1 car on track in clear conditions - please help me.

I got the Day One patch installed (18,5 GB) Internal install on Xbox One.

Benja190782
13-05-2015, 20:20
Just a little heads up as some XB1 users may not know about this, but if there is an issue with caching (as was mentioned above as a possible issue), there is a way to manually clear at least some of the XB1's cache.

It can be found at:
Settings > Disc & Blu-ray > Persistent Storage > Clear persistent storage

I've read some say that this cache is only used by DVDs or Blu-rays ... bit I've also read others say that this cache is also a non-recyclable 'temp' area for the XB1's OS. I have also read multiple places from MS support personnel (and been told this personally through MS phone support) that it is a good idea to clear the persistent storage occasionally ... and particularly if you're having issues. Can't hurt to try this if you're experiencing any problems.

1. Could this damage my Saved Game?
2. Isn't this what the system does auto. when doing a HARD RESET off the Xbox One. (Clear the persistent storage)

WildcatKNH
13-05-2015, 20:26
1. Could this damage my Saved Game?
2. Isn't this what the system does auto. when doing a HARD RESET off the Xbox One. (Clear the persistent storage)

1. Don't think it has anything to do with game saves. I've done it multiple times on my own XB1 and have never had any issues with game saves.
2. Not sure, it probably does clear it when doing a Hard Reset. This way is just quicker because you don't need to wait for the XB1 to boot back up.

chillgreg
14-05-2015, 07:52
The Xbox One has had an issue since launch with random performance drops. If I recall it is due to a memory dump issue or lack thereof. Essentially it doesn't dump the memory like it should and can lead to UI and general system performance and stability issues. When this happens most users cycle the Xbox One to resolve the issue. Though it will happen again over time. I ran into Project CARS performance issues last night while playing and forgot about this issue. I'll try a power cycle when I get home. Hopefully it will help.

From the xbox.com support site...two options. I always do the physical power cycle option.

Power Cycle Console via UI

1.Go to the Home screen.
2.Press the Menu button on the controller.
3.Select Settings.
Note You can say “Xbox, go to settings” from any screen, but you’ll need a controller once you’re on the Settings screen.
4.Go to Power & startup.
5.Select Turn Xbox Off.
6.Select Yes. The console powers down.
7.Turn your console back on by pressing the Xbox button on the console or the Xbox button on your controller.

Note: If you don't see the green boot-up animation when the console restarts, repeat these steps. Make sure that you hold the power button until the console completely shuts down.

Physically Power Cycle the Console

1.Turn off your console by holding the Xbox button on the front of the console for approximately 10 seconds. The console will power down.
2.Turn your console back on by pressing the Xbox button on the console or the Xbox button on your controller.
Note If you don't see the green boot-up animation when the console restarts, repeat these steps. Make sure that you hold the power button until the console completely shuts down.

Important: If your console is in Instant-On power mode, the above steps will shut the console completely off. Instant-On mode, or the ability to turn on your console by saying "Xbox on," won't be enabled until you restart the console.

Excellent advice.

I have also been told that removing the power cord for 10 minutes ensures that all memory and cache has been cleared.

RetroNooB
14-05-2015, 18:02
I unplugged my kinect, game appears to run a lot better

Apoc112
14-05-2015, 18:48
I unplugged my kinect, game appears to run a lot better

Placebo effect. The two have nothing to do with one another. Having your kinect plugged in does not take processing power away from the game. The developer has already disabled kinect integration, and the OS-level resources the xbox reserves for things like voice commands do not get allocated back to the game just because you disconnect the hardware.

GRD 4 3L
14-05-2015, 19:19
I have turned off all of the graphics processing (good to have but not a must at the moment) and it did slightly improve the framerate around certain corners (Oulton Park). The framerate drop was particularly nasty going through the 2nd chicane.

Just as a precaution, I also QUIT all other background running apps. I'll do a clean restart + Persistent Storage and see if the Oulton Park framerate improves.

thisisbleep
15-05-2015, 03:26
But we need an external HD installation of Project CARS to run this as smooth on Xbox One, as on the PS4 version?

My game is stuttering alot on Oulton Park and Watkins Glen with only 1 car on track in clear conditions - please help me.

I got the Day One patch installed (18,5 GB) Internal install on Xbox One.

Make sure that the internal hard drive has lots of space if you do not have an option to use an external one. Another issue with the console is that the performance decreases if the hard drive is nearly full.