PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help setting up the DS4 Controller

SgtMajSquish
13-05-2015, 06:51
Im having trouble using the controller in game. I can turn fine until the back end comes out and then it is impossible to save at any time. I have tweeked the settings a bit but dont understand why it doesn't work right out of the box (Every other racing game/sim on console works so it is to be expected)

sab25
13-05-2015, 06:54
Hi,

i agree with you.
Its so Frustrating that they hadnt delivered an out of the box Controller Settings that works well.

Games like Forza or Gran turismo Are well playable Without Any Settings for the Controller.

SgtMajSquish
13-05-2015, 06:59
It is one thing for this problem to be on the PC(i have a copy as well), as Assetto Corsa is not controller friendly either, with the same issues. With the step into the console world a working setup is an EXPECTATION. Gran Turismo, Forza, and even the god awful Test Drive Unlimited 2 was much better out of the box than this.
I'm not asking for NfS handling models but the way it is is not acceptable either. Or is this the new norm for games now......incomplete, broken, and dlc'ed to death

HeeseyChelmet
13-05-2015, 07:07
I haven't raced sim for years and i mean since early 2000 and that was on PC. The only racing games I have played are the Forza series (from 2 onwards) and GT. PCars is a whole new ball game if you're used to racing games that aren't sims. Big thing here is, they're console based and not on a pc so wheels are the exception. PCars is the other way around. I agree, the control defaults are poor but a quick search on the forums will bring up plenty of threads to show you some settings you can use. I done this and chose some settings, ran free practice and then tweaked the settings again and so on. Now, my controller settings are sweet. As for loosing the arse on the cars, I find this quite realistic (unlike Forza and GT that are too easy). Some I catch, others I don't. Bottom line, you're playing a sim not an arcade racer. Keep practising and adjusting your controls to suit, you'll crack it.

Ecfc
13-05-2015, 07:41
Try the latest suggest by PuntNL they work great

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21864-Dualshock-4-Controller-Settings-Problems-amp-Solutions

David McKenna
13-05-2015, 07:41
Hi,

i agree with you.
Its so Frustrating that they hadnt delivered an out of the box Controller Settings that works well.

Games like Forza or Gran turismo Are well playable Without Any Settings for the Controller.

That's because they are not Sim ?

sab25
13-05-2015, 08:07
I have Seen that Coming.
NFS Shift 1&2 from slightly Mad had the Same Problem.

Yes, for me GT and Forza Are also Sims.

SgtMajSquish
16-05-2015, 08:01
The issue i am seeing is the counter steering. turn in is great, but my driving style is to rotate the car more, and when i make mistakes in that i need to be able to correct. the controller settings lack the replication of letting the wheel spin in your hand to catch the rear end in an extreme oversteering situation. I can have the snappiest, twitchiest steering on entry, but it moves like cold syrup when i try to counter steer. Not to mention anyone who wants to drift will absolutely love this

Gran Turismo 6 is a sim. You dont build racing careers out of NfS or Forza.

Deadzone
16-05-2015, 08:38
The issue i am seeing is the counter steering. turn in is great, but my driving style is to rotate the car more, and when i make mistakes in that i need to be able to correct. the controller settings lack the replication of letting the wheel spin in your hand to catch the rear end in an extreme oversteering situation. I can have the snappiest, twitchiest steering on entry, but it moves like cold syrup when i try to counter steer. Not to mention anyone who wants to drift will absolutely love this

Gran Turismo 6 is a sim. You dont build racing careers out of NfS or Forza.

I agree with you about the controller feeling the way it does, despite many different settings I can't seem to "tune" this out. This combined with no tactile feedback for wheel spin, brake lockups or slip angles makes it hard to really get a feel for what the car is doing underneath you.

SnakeEyesX80
16-05-2015, 18:35
Here's what I've been using and it works well for me (I also use mostly helmet cam). Try it out. If you don't like it just reset.

Steering Dz - 15
Steering Sensi - 50

Throttle Dz - 10
Throttle Sensi - 30

Brake Dz - 10
Brake Sensi - 15

Clutch Dz - 10
Clutch Sensi - 45

Speed Sensi - 75
Cont Filter Sensi - 50

FFB - 100

Cont Input Mode - 3
Advanced - On
Soft Steer Damp - On
Visual Wheel Filtering - On
Opposite Lock Help - Off

superchargedk20
16-05-2015, 18:52
I really don't get how people have such a hard time with default settings . I have zero problems all aids off game set to realistic. It's all about learning how the car functions and learning the track . Perfect example is the lycan hypersport . I spun out on every corner on California highway track . Took my time and learned the car and track . Then I setup a race with 5 other lycans on 70 difficulty . Came in 1st place . People get to frustrated if after a few tries they don't get it and immediately blame something else instead of there lack of skill

nolag
16-05-2015, 19:21
It was already mentioned in other threads that there are at least two very different ways how people use the left stick for steering. The presets mostly suit the players tapping the stick and usually the people with problems are the ones expecting the steering to be smooth. I am one of the latter and all presets are way to twitchy because of the large dead zones and high sensitivity. After setting dead zone to 0 and reducing the sensitivity this transformed the game for me.

booboo640
25-05-2015, 06:36
Ok I just got Project cars on Friday and have had major issues with the controller settings. Now I've come from playing every GT game except 6( I find every GT game is the same just has more cars and some new tracks.)I also find it very easy and don't find the racing challenging at all. So you could imagine my surprise when I selected PRO and found that I couldn't even go around a corner without losing it.
At the moment I have all the sensitivity and dead zones set to zero but I have the controller filtering set to about 50. This is good for some cars but some are still hard to drive but I'm thinking this is mostly the car. But I have been able to turn off traction control and ABS.
My biggest issue is the feedback or rumble if you like. The controller starts to rumble as soon as I touch the brake ever so slightly. So the only way I can tell if the brakes are locked up is the sound and by that time it's too late.

rotorrian
25-05-2015, 06:59
I use the base setting with increased steering deadzone and reduced sensitivity.

I would start with those and then start fiddling with the more technical setting to fine tune your setup.

booboo640
25-05-2015, 09:52
I use the base setting with increased steering deadzone and reduced sensitivity.

I would start with those and then start fiddling with the more technical setting to fine tune your setup.

The way I've looked at it, the more sensitive the less you need to move you analog sticks or trigger buttons. So I have sensitivity set to Zero to give me more control over my throttle, braking and steering.
But my biggest issue now is with feedback during braking. As soon as I brake I get vibration and doesn't change whether the wheels are locked up or not.
I'm still having a issue with oversteer some laps the car handles fine the next lap it's a monster that won't drive straight.