PDA

View Full Version : If I was patching the controls in project cars.....give your ideas..

spartanmike1978
13-05-2015, 14:10
Figured since it seems to be a consensus that the controllers while playing with a gamepad need some work, let's give sms some input. In my opinion the cars feel too weighty, when braking into a corner it's like sleigh riding. Also the cars don't seem to be able to hit turns as well as some of these super cars should. The powerbrake is way to sensitive and results in me spinning out immediately. So in my opinion these elements need some refinement, tighter controls with less sliding. I understand it's a sim but so is gran turismo and forza, this games controls are too rigid as of right now. I know a patch addressing the issue is coming, but let's give sms opinions here, be specific as possible...

Tillj
13-05-2015, 14:23
Forza is by no means a sim nor is gran turismo. The handling is fine, you just need to learn how to drive the cars.

MoneyMan300
13-05-2015, 14:36
Forza is by no means a sim nor is gran turismo. The handling is fine, you just need to learn how to drive the cars.

Ummm...no, the handling is not fine, the controller is broke. The 2 biggest issues for me is there is no ability to "smooth steer" with a controller, you have to slap steer. The other is no ability to correct in a turn....you can't steer out of a slide, since the steering remains locked.

spartanmike1978
13-05-2015, 14:37
The handling is not fine hence the incoming patch buddy, and yes forza and gran turismo are both sims with some of the most obsessive car physics in any game. The controls on this game are way off and people are raging about refunds for that very reason all over the Internet, so the controls in their current state are NOT fine!

Ibanezman
13-05-2015, 14:38
I'm guessing, much like real life, different types of cars have different braking parts and pressure, so it requires you to get to know the cars a bit more

For me, this game is going to be much more challenging and rewarding than games like Forza, as on there you could just race in a Clio, then a Lambo and then a Viper and still lap well in them all. In real life these cars would be hugely different, so you need to put in some time with each car to perfect it...... just my take anyway

Also, you can adjust the braking pressure if you find it really offensive, or use ABS

Siberian Tiger
13-05-2015, 14:40
The handling is not fine hence the incoming patch buddy, and yes forza and gran turismo are both sims with some of the most obsessive car physics in any game. The controls on this game are way off and people are raging about refunds for that very reason all over the Internet, so the controls in their current state are NOT fine!

Please keep in mind that not All Platforms and EVEN not all Players are affected by the Controller Bug ;)

And the fix is allready on it's way. Just needs to pass Bandai Namco and Microsoft Aproval...

MoneyMan300
13-05-2015, 14:41
@Ibanezman - I don't disagree with your take and that's what I expect from this game, compared to a Forza or GT. But at the moment, it's broke.

Spreaderz
13-05-2015, 14:43
Put the control settings onto mode 3. now select a vehicle go into your garage by pressing Y press the right trigger button twice turn the steering down to slow press A to save and make sure you have a tick on the option all then press X to save and back out ,, you have to do this on all cars but only once , since doing this its made the game very playable for me Moneyman ,, try it out and hope it helps till the patch is available.:)

Apoc112
13-05-2015, 14:45
I would like to see calibration and visualization of the analog inputs right there in the settings screen, perhaps in the big unused pane on the screen. Show me the throw of the sticks via a bar similar to what we get in the telemetry view. If I could ensure that my controller is even working properly, I would know whether wonky problems like the Citroen touring car not steering lock to lock is a car bug or settings-related. For as many options as we have, I feel like the diagnostics/output to see what those settings are actually doing are severely lacking.

Also, some better defaults based on some of the setups in this forum would be kinda nice for new players.

Ibanezman
13-05-2015, 14:46
@Ibanezman - I don't disagree with your take and that's what I expect from this game, compared to a Forza or GT. But at the moment, it's broke.

It definitely is broken, I just think the only real issue is the left analogue stick, which will be fixed very soon. I think it'll be a great racer once we can turn properly

Also, when the braking\rumble works as it should, you'll get some real braking feedback which should make it easier to understand

Beagle Five
13-05-2015, 14:56
Until the steering is fixed its hard to judge anything else.
I want to be able to hold a line through a corner without tapping the analogues, kind if defeats the purpose otherwise, but this is more of a xbox one controller issue then anything, since its to loose and vague no matter how much the game is patched up.

Dynomight Motorsports
13-05-2015, 15:06
I know I'll be hated for saying this, but it's supposed to be a sim. I moved to wheel (Fanatec CSR) about 3 years ago on console and loved it ever since. I had to drop $400 to get a wheel for the XB1, but I wouldn't go back to controller EVER! As a SIM you want the linearity of a wheel and the ability of smooth steering, not the feeling of driving a Remote control car. For the last few years on XB360 I've been dealing with the frustrating Fact that controller users had a advantage over FFB Wheel Users. Partly because their controller wasn't fighting them, but also because the game Has to allow a different linearity setting for controllers and steering assist in order to take an analog stick input and convert it to steering wheel inputs. On most SimCades out there you can pick up a controller and start driving away with virtually no setup, counter-steer with just the flick of the thumb and be 2 seconds faster (F1 2014 on XB360) right out of the box. There is a cheaper option for wheels ($99 thrustmaster Ferrari 458) without FFB, but I'm kinda glad to see they didn't make it easy to pick up a controller and set top times on this game. When and if they get the FFB right on this game it will be better served using a wheel.

Beagle Five
13-05-2015, 15:38
I know I'll be hated for saying this, but it's supposed to be a sim. I moved to wheel (Fanatec CSR) about 3 years ago on console and loved it ever since. I had to drop $400 to get a wheel for the XB1, but I wouldn't go back to controller EVER! As a SIM you want the linearity of a wheel and the ability of smooth steering, not the feeling of driving a Remote control car. For the last few years on XB360 I've been dealing with the frustrating Fact that controller users had a advantage over FFB Wheel Users. Partly because their controller wasn't fighting them, but also because the game Has to allow a different linearity setting for controllers and steering assist in order to take an analog stick input and convert it to steering wheel inputs. On most SimCades out there you can pick up a controller and start driving away with virtually no setup, counter-steer with just the flick of the thumb and be 2 seconds faster (F1 2014 on XB360) right out of the box. There is a cheaper option for wheels ($99 thrustmaster Ferrari 458) without FFB, but I'm kinda glad to see they didn't make it easy to pick up a controller and set top times on this game. When and if they get the FFB right on this game it will be better served using a wheel.

You are absolutely 100% superduper right!

Raven403
13-05-2015, 17:29
First of all, Calling Forza and GT Sims is a joke. Assetto Corsa, thats a Sim, Iracing thats a Sim, Project Cars is a SIM Meaning that driving a car with SIM physics with a controller is not easy. That said ALOT of people are having similar issues with the controller, and the latest Patch notes for the upcoming patch reflect that the Devs are addressing the issues with the controller. Alot of Wheel users are also having problems with the ForceFeedback on Xbox1 which means I think that there is a core issue with how the game is translating info to both controller and wheel. It seems that the upcoming patch should fix alot of the controller issues (with any luck). That said there are alot of threads on controller settings hopefully you find something that helps.

MutantOctane
13-05-2015, 17:30
You wouldn't try to drive your personal vehicle in real life to/from anywhere with a controller, much less race one using one.

I raced on 360 and PC with a wheel, but am now going to have to break down and get one for Xbox One. Not that I am having trouble with the controller - I just am not fully appreciating PCars the way it should be driven

menaceuk
13-05-2015, 17:34
First of all, Calling Forza and GT Sims is a joke. Assetto Corsa, thats a Sim, Iracing thats a Sim, Project Cars is a SIM Meaning that driving a car with SIM physics with a controller is not easy. That said ALOT of people are having similar issues with the controller, and the latest Patch notes for the upcoming patch reflect that the Devs are addressing the issues with the controller. Alot of Wheel users are also having problems with the ForceFeedback on Xbox1 which means I think that there is a core issue with how the game is translating info to both controller and wheel. It seems that the upcoming patch should fix alot of the controller issues (with any luck). That said there are alot of threads on controller settings hopefully you find something that helps.

and yet I have played all those "Sims" with a controller.

This idea that you can't play or do well in a sim with a pad is just pure nonsense.

Apoc112
13-05-2015, 17:47
"Sim" guys can get off their high horses about racing with wheels... we get it. However, not everyone can afford it or wants to dedicate space in their house to it.

Making a game playable with a controller via some input refinement and assists does not make it any less of a simulation... I'm not trying to say that Forza is even close to being as much a simulator as Project Cars, but your input method has very little to do with the actual physics simulation going on, or the level to which a real motorsports event is built up around it.

Project Cars is a great simulator that just happens to have poor support for controllers... I don't get why anyone feels like improving the controller support would necessarily take away from the experience that wheel drivers have*

* except that I totally get it, and it's called a superiority complex.

N30n117
13-05-2015, 17:47

Don't get on your high horse, the controller on Xbox one is not fine.

MoneyMan300
13-05-2015, 17:52
It definitely is broken, I just think the only real issue is the left analogue stick, which will be fixed very soon. I think it'll be a great racer once we can turn properly

Also, when the braking\rumble works as it should, you'll get some real braking feedback which should make it easier to understand

I agree. For now I've got a controller setup that's working well with the GT3 cars (Thanks to xxBenXX). Now time to test the 458 Spider and 458 TX wheels.

Pedro funk
13-05-2015, 18:00
Being able to adjust the controller settings from the pause menu instead on constantly having to quite to the main menu would be handy...

MoneyMan300
13-05-2015, 18:03
Put the control settings onto mode 3. now select a vehicle go into your garage by pressing Y press the right trigger button twice turn the steering down to slow press A to save and make sure you have a tick on the option all then press X to save and back out ,, you have to do this on all cars but only once , since doing this its made the game very playable for me Moneyman ,, try it out and hope it helps till the patch is available.:)

Just tried this...along with the settings I already had. Wow....I'm all good now!

Ixoye56
13-05-2015, 18:12
The leaderboards talks for itself, pad users have no problem staying at the top.

Suburban Coot
13-05-2015, 18:29

+1 OP should read the Wiki page they have about this game. It answered a lot of questions I had about the cars and handling aspect of them.

Suburban Coot
13-05-2015, 18:31

Forza and Gran turismo are both sims with some of the most obsessive car physics in any game And that is about all those 2 games have going for them ...

BUK_FUTTER
13-05-2015, 18:50
Using Thrustmaster 458 spider wheel i'm unable to tune vehicle due to lack of R3 and L3 buttons (thumbsticks) , this also affects other menu functions, and the wheel has three buttons that are all assigned to the A-button, why cant the two extra A-buttons be assigned to R3 and L3 ? The steering wheel has more buttons than a standard xbox controller yet most of them are useless, at the very least make it possible to use the controller and steering wheel at the same time.

Benja190782
13-05-2015, 20:34
I would make the controller feel like in Race 07. This game feels great with a controller and I'm sure PCARS will feel pretty close to Race 07 with a controller after the patch.

DMR Ghahary21
13-05-2015, 21:13
Unable to use the "powerbrake"? Do you mean handbrake? If so, you're doing it wrong.

pseudonymous
13-05-2015, 21:49
The analogue stick ranges are being corrected. By allowing the full range of motion on the sticks, it should mean that the game no longer feels like you're steering it using a d-pad. Smooth turning should be the order of the day.

Should address some of the grumbles.

Beagle Five
13-05-2015, 21:51
Unable to use the "powerbrake"? Do you mean handbrake? If so, you're doing it wrong.

No, I made a little thread about just that and the simple explanation is that many racecars dont have handbrakes, so nothing happens when yanking it... Well, something happens, but its not braking...

Suburban Coot
13-05-2015, 21:55

First of all, Calling Forza and GT Sims is a joke. Nuff said

Suburban Coot
13-05-2015, 21:59
Don't get on your high horse, the controller on Xbox one is not fine.

I keep getting the same response when I say the controller is broken for this game or not fine.

ManOfNantucket
13-05-2015, 23:02
I keep getting the same response when I say the controller is broken for this game or not fine.

What I don't get is I keep hearing not everyone is affected by the steering bug. How can that be? Isn't every Xbox One user using the same version of the game? Were different builds of the game shipped to different retailers? What I think is there is alot of denial going on.

jsykes
14-05-2015, 03:06
The problem is there needs to be more movement with the sticks. You get full lock with the stick only moved half of the distance it can move. Here is a photo. My stick is only moved haflway and you can see on the screen its at full lock. I have the sensitivity set to zero, not sure what else I can do in the settings.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8821/17434770448_89edbd2756_c.jpg

You cant effectively drive the car when you only move the stick about half its movement to full lock. There isnt enough flexibility in the movement of the stick to make any kind of fine adjustments.

Spreaderz
14-05-2015, 08:04
Just tried this...along with the settings I already had. Wow....I'm all good now!

Great job , :) pleased it worked for u Moneyman..

ao1977
14-05-2015, 09:34
I know I'll be hated for saying this, but it's supposed to be a sim.

Hi there,

I do agree that a racing sim is best played with a wheel, no doubt. But besides the fact that not everyone can afford a wheel or, like me, has the space for installing one, please keep in mind that the sim aspect means much more than just moving cars around as realistic as possible.

I would describe myself as a casual gamer who likes to take a car for a spin on the sofa after work. I put a foam ring around my left stick to increase its resistance and was quite a happy Forza guy so far. But at some point Forza got boring. Well, not really boring, but I started to miss such sim aspects as weather, daytime etc.
That's when I found out about Pcars and i was very, VERY happy to learn it would be released for the X1 and controller steering.
And here's my point: If the game specs said, "wheel only", I'd be like, "Ok fine, these guys are really serious with their sim, too bad I don't have a wheel, but ok then.". But since the box says "suitable for controller", every controller user has a rightful expectation towards the game to be playable with controller.
I am totally awere of and fine with the fact, that racings sims and controllers are and will always be a compromise, but please don't judge the lack of a wheel as a lack of enthusiasm.

I did play full length races with a wheel in GP4 back in the years when I was a single man, but now as a married man (and father to be :D) with a full-time job, I got other priorities than putting up a racing rig in the living room every other day. Yet I don't want to go without Pcars.

However, when I unboxed, installed and played my preordered special edition steel box (Yay, bling! ;)) I was a bit shocked how twitchy the steering was, and I was very happy to find out that was not meant to be but a bug that will be fixed. Phew.
So after some initial frustration i read the forum, used the recommended settings (I even admit I engaged the steering assistant) and until the patch is deployed, I enjoy the awesomeness of this game that way.

Speaking of awesomeness: Sitting on the sofa some 3.5 meters away from our 40" tv, I never liked cockpit views in Forza for seeing to little of the track, and used the hood cam most of the time. In Pcars, I do love the helmet cam since I got used to it. This is the highest level of immersion I ever experienced in a console game!

Sorry for getting a bit off the initial topic. ;)

(By the way, I used to own the MS Speed Wheel while I had the X360, using it made me look like a retard, but it worked surprisingly well. Too bad there isn't such a thing for the X1.)

ao1977
14-05-2015, 09:38
What I don't get is I keep hearing not everyone is affected by the steering bug. How can that be?
I'd say there are more variables than the game version. E.g. your console's firmware version, the controller's firmware version, whether the game patch was installed or not etc.

totlxtc
14-05-2015, 10:03
The leaderboards talks for itself, pad users have no problem staying at the top.

THIS!

Wheels DO NOT make you faster. You either have the ability or you don't and no fancy piece of kit will make you any quicker. Sure getting a wheel adds to the immersion slightly but people who say it is the best way are wrong. Play it how you like, when you like and as much as you like. If you have the speed then enjoy it, if you don't then you can learn the way you are most comfortable.

Before you blast me...I had a Fanatec GT2 clubsport setup but got rid of it as it was a faff to setup each time I wanted to play and like to just pick up and play game.

ManOfNantucket
14-05-2015, 10:41
I'd say there are more variables than the game version. E.g. your console's firmware version, the controller's firmware version, whether the game patch was installed or not etc.

Oh please, the PC world has a lot of variables to contend with, the console world has very, very few in comparisons. This is why I started gaming on consoles, I got tired of constantly have to upgrade parts and update drivers and all that other garbage.

Beagle Five
14-05-2015, 10:48
THIS!

Wheels DO NOT make you faster. You either have the ability or you don't and no fancy piece of kit will make you any quicker. Sure getting a wheel adds to the immersion slightly but people who say it is the best way are wrong. Play it how you like, when you like and as much as you like. If you have the speed then enjoy it, if you don't then you can learn the way you are most comfortable.

Before you blast me...I had a Fanatec GT2 clubsport setup but got rid of it as it was a faff to setup each time I wanted to play and like to just pick up and play game.

Of course you can drive fast with the controller, its just horrible to do so! Or lets just say difficult and nerveracking!

ao1977
14-05-2015, 10:52
Oh please, the PC world has a lot of variables to contend with, the console world has very, very few in comparisons.
But still, there are some as mentioned. And to me it appears more likely that a reson for different behaviours can be found on the consoles / controllers than a possibility of copying and shipping different versions.

Ixoye56
14-05-2015, 15:42
Of course you can drive fast with the controller, its just horrible to do so! Or lets just say difficult and nerveracking!

For you maybe, I'm faster with controller than with steering wheel in all racing games I have tried, it's horrible, difficult and nerve racking in PC Cars at the moment with controller, but i'm sure it will be just fine and smooth after the patch.