PDA

View Full Version : Anybody drive the Lotus 49?

Chairman7w
13-05-2015, 17:30
I LOVE this car IRL but I can't drive it worth &^%$ in this game. It pulls to the left, and has the turn radius of an 18-wheeler.

It makes me sad cause I really love this car, but it's nigh unusable on most tracks.

I may be doing something wrong, so if anybody can provide any hints or assistance, I would be very happy.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/Chairman7w/Funny%20Gifs/Video%20Game%20Screenshots/11165138_1575994992652635_2374369011388636953_o.jpg

batman21685
13-05-2015, 18:05
Car has a lot of understeer as i assume due to the age of it it would heve no power steering etc. It is a difficult car to drive in the game but i think it would be a very difficult car to drive in real life as well. I find coming off the throttle early helps get it around although its still a bit of a fight

yusupov
13-05-2015, 18:07
i havent tried it ye t but maybe the understeer is a result of the setup, as multiple people say the setups are 'safe'. this wasnt a very 'safe' car something setup to make couch drivers comfortable might be far from what wouldve actually been used.

SpeedLimitUnknown
30-05-2015, 02:21
I played a ton of GPL back in the day, one of favourite Sims. To me the Lotus 49 in PCars doesn't have enough grip in general, especially at low speeds. Assetto Corsa Lotus 49 feels much better and more responsive, as much as you would expect with an open wheel race car from the 60's with no aero and hard old school rubber lol

Great video on the Lotus 49. You can see that it doesn't have the crazy rear wheel spin or kick out at high speed when going straight, and the initial turn-in is much better even without relying on back end rotation.

https://youtu.be/Opzzn9sl1kU

yusupov
30-05-2015, 02:54
well, its very unlikely hes driving on vintage '67 tires. you can change the tires to later years for the '49 & probably get more similar behavior.

SpeedLimitUnknown
30-05-2015, 03:53
Regarding the low speed handling of the Lotus 49, I found out the problem. My son likes to play with a controller (I typically use my wheel) and when I tried it with the controller he had the speed sensitivity cranked up to 95 lol. Put it down to 50 and just did a quick hotlap at Imola, 1:58 which seems about right. It's a real handful with a controller, really tough to modulate that throttle lol. I'll have to try it again later once I setup my wheel after he goes to bed .

Sessionerror
30-05-2015, 07:36
I love driving this car in Project CARS. Actually, I'd even call it my favorite car. I'm using a wheel and you simply got to be very careful with the throttle and the steering. After a bit of time, you're getting used to it and love it! :)

kaa0s
30-05-2015, 07:58
Yup the default settings for the car are really what makes it feel so strange. Tinkered with it a bit and managed a WR on Brno, without doing anything I would have been atleast 20seconds slower. But yeah, it all comes down to your driving style in the end. And also a lot to do with other settings than the actual car settings in that department. But with the defaults it has got to be the hardest one to keep a good line on.

pa_pinkelman
30-05-2015, 10:38
Also you must remember that you steer these cars not only with the steering wheel but also with the throttle. Also a little trailbraking to shift the weight to the front wheels when turning in works great.
And yes as you can see on the video these cars are a handfull...

could_do_better
30-05-2015, 10:44
I played a ton of GPL back in the day, one of favourite Sims. To me the Lotus 49 in PCars doesn't have enough grip in general, especially at low speeds. Assetto Corsa Lotus 49 feels much better and more responsive, as much as you would expect with an open wheel race car from the 60's with no aero and hard old school rubber lol

Great video on the Lotus 49. You can see that it doesn't have the crazy rear wheel spin or kick out at high speed when going straight, and the initial turn-in is much better even without relying on back end rotation.

https://youtu.be/Opzzn9sl1kU

The odd thing is guess who also did a lot of the work on GPL......... a significant proportion of the senior SMS guys.... BTW its one of their favourite cars and genre's so watch out for a lot more GPL style cars and track coming down the line.

back on topic, I think its the 'safe' setup more than anything, hopefully some with far more skill than me will start to post some enhanced setups.

LukeC
30-05-2015, 11:00
Based on what I know about the design of the 60s f1 cars I can tell you they were very tricky to drive. They had a lot of horsepower, little mechanical grip, no aero and I'm pretty sure they would have been very sensitive to both longitudinal and transverse weight transfer. You can actually use these attributes to overcome the understeer to some extent i.e. trail braking. In addition you can try stiffening the rear roll bar. However I would advise you to pay attention to the actual speed you a carrying into the corners. I remember the first time I drove this car in PC I thought it understeered like mad until I looked at the speed and found I was doing over 120 kph into a sharp 90 degree corner on cold tyres. I subsequently found that if you simply slow down enough the car will turn without any understeer whatsoever. (The thing about sims is that often you don't appreciate how fast you really are going, whereas in real life you would be scared out of your mind and would be approaching the same corners at a much slower speed)

John Hargreaves
30-05-2015, 12:05
There are a few things that can be done to alter the L49, although I don‘t think I would even bother trying to drive it with a gamepad (but that‘s cos I‘m rubbish). With a wheel you get some of the finer control you need.
Easiest fix is to put the 74 slick tyres on it for more grip overall, and you can restrict the engine in setup to reduce power too. That will help to get the hang of it.
Default setup is slightly understeery and safe, but there are plenty of clever setup guys about that will get that sorted, just need to keep looking.
Hidden inside this is one of the best cars in the game, but it is a beast and can never quite be tamed. It growls and will bite you too.

Vic Flange
30-05-2015, 13:49
The Lotus 49 is my favourite car in the game. I can get decent performance out of it using a controller.
The best tip I can give is only use about 3/4 throttle in 1st and 2nd and short shift out of those gears. A gentle throttle and warm tyres and this thing is a joy to drive.

BSDShoes
30-05-2015, 13:59
Yes I drove this a lot in the rFactor games (engine sounds fantastic), it's one of those cars where you have to shift gears constantly to keep traction and push the rear end out as you steer through corners.

John Hargreaves
30-05-2015, 14:06
Yeah it‘s definitely the classic ‘steer with the gas pedal‘ job. You will often get slight understeer going into a corner, give it a touch of gas to bring the back end round and the nose in, feather it on the edge of grip until it straightens up then gently floor it up to 9000rpm. Beautiful.

yusupov
30-05-2015, 14:26
i drove this again yesterday after watching a YT video & i have to agree its very well done. problem (imo) is with the default setup which just seems terribly safe. cure the understeer & its quite believable.

one thing i didnt get was i seemed to get a lot of torque at times in the higher revs, i didnt think that should happen?

Roger Prynne
30-05-2015, 15:20
Check this out..... http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21976-pCARS-YouTube-Video-Thread-Single-Player&p=955324&viewfull=1#post955324

Vic Flange
01-06-2015, 20:40
Just tried it with the '74 slicks on and did a 1:52.701 at Monza.
I was a second quicker on my next lap but hit traffic through the Ascari chicane. Might give it a good run tomorrow with no other cars to see how low I can get it.

I just LOVE this car.

John Hargreaves
01-06-2015, 20:52
Nice thing about putting those grippier tyres on is that it enables you to grab the car by the scruff of the neck and really push it. The 67-68 tyres may be more authentic, but you feel like you are nursing it round tippy toeing on the edge of grip, but the slicks unlock all the goodness that exists in the chassis and allow you to exploit and enjoy that lovely balance. It‘s a great car.

Vic Flange
01-06-2015, 21:12
Nice thing about putting those grippier tyres on is that it enables you to grab the car by the scruff of the neck and really push it. The 67-68 tyres may be more authentic, but you feel like you are nursing it round tippy toeing on the edge of grip, but the slicks unlock all the goodness that exists in the chassis and allow you to exploit and enjoy that lovely balance. It‘s a great car.

It's a fabulous car. It is the main reason I have been waiting for Project Cars since it was announced and it hasn't disappointed in any way.
Those slicks give it a lot more turn in but still retain the ability to boot it and power slide out of corners.
This car has completely brought my career mode to a halt.

I must say that one small fly in the ointment is the AI of the computer cars around Monza. There is a lot of kitty litter being disturbed on the first chicane.

Now all it needs is some same era friends and tracks to race on. Hint hint. :rolleyes:

jgaganas
05-06-2015, 11:44
Took the Lotus 49 today for a ride at Monza for the first time.

As i'm having a bit of love/hate relationship with this car (thanks to GPL), i couldnt believe how easy it is to drive at a decent pace (like driving a real historic car).

All this grip, coming from tires made of real rubber (instead of wood)! And i was able to survive the whole 3 lap ride without an single incident.

This is just so wonderful...

mister dog
08-10-2015, 20:38
Yup the default settings for the car are really what makes it feel so strange. Tinkered with it a bit and managed a WR on Brno, without doing anything I would have been atleast 20seconds slower. But yeah, it all comes down to your driving style in the end. And also a lot to do with other settings than the actual car settings in that department. But with the defaults it has got to be the hardest one to keep a good line on.
VVV agrees, and me too for that matter on the default setting it is a pig to drive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zSo5L9zSko

Any tuning tips floating around to tame this beast?