PDA

View Full Version : helpless w/ L49

yusupov
13-05-2015, 19:25
ive tried tuning everything (except toe, i think, bc front toe already seemed fairly high) to extreme levels to cure this car of severe understeer, including knocking the steering ratio (which i never touch) all the way down to 3:1.

its still all wrong; i dont think i can make it around spa on the track without driving at grandpa speeds the turn in is so bad.

all i have is a crap setup. should i set toe to what would normally be outrageous levels? v frustrated as i want to be able to drive this car on the historic dlc tracks.

Shinzah
13-05-2015, 20:05
What are you trying? And what do you mean the toe seemed fairly high? Fairly high IN or fairly high OUT?

yusupov
13-05-2015, 20:14
toe-in, front was -0.3, i set the rear to 0.3, it was 0.0 i think, thats all i changed re toe. suspension etc tuned for what should be crazy oversteer but instead like i say it just doesnt turn even w/ everything set to high/low as advised in the description.

Shinzah
13-05-2015, 20:37
toe-in, front was -0.3, i set the rear to 0.3, it was 0.0 i think, thats all i changed re toe.

Toe *in* the rear. If you toe it out, you're just dragging the rear around and it'll try to fight back into going straight. Toe it *in*

suspension etc tuned for what should be crazy oversteer but instead like i say it just doesnt turn even w/ everything set to high/low as advised in the description.

This isn't very descriptive but I'll try to help. First make sure the front is softer than the rear. Give both front and rear toe in. Mix it to taste. Move brake bias to the rear and move weight bias to the front. Lower your diffs or even open them completely (0%/min)

If that doesn't work you need to adjust your driving style to a fifty year old car with a powerful V8, no downforce, very, very hard rubber and low weight. It isn't going to handle like a dream no matter what you do. Also don't turn in hard. Back up your braking points and throw the car into the corner with smoother arcs. The more you turn the wheel, the more the front will scrub, the more it scrubs the more the tires overheat and you're just making the problem worse! (this is also probably why using a ridiculous steering ratio wasn't helpful)

yusupov
13-05-2015, 23:54
well thx shin i changed the toe to -0.3 and with stiffer springs, dampers again clicked about 50% up or down as described etc, its a bit fragile but i can hit apexes, still much slower than i expect to go but i realize now this is just my expectation, its definitely turning much better & more in line with how i feel it should.

i did 1 very slow hotlap & my time was 2:52, i figured this was about a minute off pace but if the leaderboard is correct it says fastest lap so far is a 2:35?? may be 'wrong' or a slow time (for fast lap at least) but i could see a good driver who knows what hes doing easily knocking 30 seconds off my time if that 2:35 is even fairly normal & not abysmal.

so i think its just a matter of adjusting to such a weird car, tbh i cant recall driving it in AC & in iR i only drive it bc its very easy to chuck around corners & slide around, which you cant really do w/ many c ars in iR. can with a lot in pC but weirdly i am finding it hard to drive in that (admittedly suboptimal) style. ive tried some of the 60s formula cars in rf2 but i guess i was mostly concerned with not killingmyself on old spa at the time :D thx again

Shinzah
14-05-2015, 00:03
Glad I managed to be some help mate ^^;

hkraft300
14-05-2015, 03:03
Driving technique is wrong. see the steering wheel and the way the front wheels turn side to side, is only really a pitlane/garage/ paddock maneuver mechanism.

on the track the steering wheel has zero use beyond walking pace.

The Lotus 49 itself knows that the steering wheel is merely a formality. A simple steering wheel, as gorgeous as it may be with its Lotus emblem, has no authority over the 49.

It dances along the track only influenced by the application of fuel into the combustion chambers.

Chairman7w
14-05-2015, 23:08
Driving technique is wrong. see the steering wheel and the way the front wheels turn side to side, is only really a pitlane/garage/ paddock maneuver mechanism.

on the track the steering wheel has zero use beyond walking pace.

The Lotus 49 itself knows that the steering wheel is merely a formality. A simple steering wheel, as gorgeous as it may be with its Lotus emblem, has no authority over the 49.

It dances along the track only influenced by the application of fuel into the combustion chambers.

http://i.imgur.com/m0Zcf.gif

aussiejeff
15-05-2015, 00:58
Stop being very, very sad masochist. :hopelessness:

Change default Ye Olde Ice Tyre setting to 74 slicks. :confused:

Be very, very happy with result. :glee:

yusupov
15-05-2015, 01:21
no way :D

altho thx to your post i have gone from "wouldnt ever consider it" to "will do it to see what change there is & if that can help me drive the '67s better"

aussiejeff
15-05-2015, 03:34
no way :D

altho thx to your post i have gone from "wouldnt ever consider it" to "will do it to see what change there is & if that can help me drive the '67s better"

Hehe. I admire your healthy dose of stoicism, yusupov.

However, the TT format as it stands ATM allows you to strap on improved rubber.... which everyone is starting to cotton on to ... so I see no point in beating myself up doing absolute best laps around 5-10 secs slower (or worse depending on the twistiness of a track) than the 74 rubber can achieve. Especially since the leaderboards don't (yet) reward such "bravery" by showing these much slower times in "historical tyres" leaderboard sub-section for each of the historic cars in the game. Same goes for the next two Lotuses as well - that also benefit from the 74 boots option. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I personally don't have a problem with racing an historic car on somewhat newer rubber. I believe many classic / historic series today allow using later/better rubber than what was originally used. I'd like to see the Formula A have an option to use 67 rubber.. hahaha. It is certainly entertaining in the game to experience the massive difference in handling between the older/newer compounds on a downforce limited design!

Good luck! :friendly_wink:

JeyD02
16-05-2015, 20:46
Try posting a video of you driving and I might give you some suggestions on what to change. The reason I ask video u cuz I want to see and hear which corners specially you are experiencing issues, like slows, fast, bumpy, chicane. Or you could give me an overall description.

There are many settings for different corners and speed. So ya...