PDA

View Full Version : Assists Or No Assists

morty1884
13-05-2015, 20:06
Hi guy so what the titles says do you use assists or no assists. I don't normal use them just notice today in hotlapping that i was upto 1.5sec fast with assists on.

Srt8 300c
13-05-2015, 20:08
No assists
Using a steering wheel, i really like the feedback it gives!

Bealdor
13-05-2015, 20:10
"Real Assists" for me. I'm not a fan of artificially added difficulty. :)

Edit: Sorry didn't see this is the PS4 subforum. I'm playing on PC.

dvc
13-05-2015, 20:22
Forced disabled assists no matter what car. BTW of course you will get better lap time with assists.

thegt500
13-05-2015, 20:40
No assists here, using T300RS wheel and find the feedback the cars give is great. Although, the Ford Mk IV a bit of a handful, but won't use assists on principal as I want to master it.

HarryHoodlum
13-05-2015, 20:45
Full assists here. Still can barely keep the car on the track. I'm just gonna chock it up to sucking at the game and needing lots of practice.

BigDipper
13-05-2015, 20:46
What assists are you talking about? i'm as noob as one can be at this stuff.
I have brake and steer assist off.

awaite85
13-05-2015, 20:53
Traction control is i got while i practice.

Millsey55
13-05-2015, 21:15
All assists off for me, FFB on T300RS is awesome.

dwalldorf
13-05-2015, 21:26
Sometimes use TC as long as tires are cold. From car to car, I enable or disable ABS.

HarryHoodlum
13-05-2015, 21:27
Oh I lied, I have steering/braking assists off. Not even sure what those do.

RoadRunner1
13-05-2015, 21:27
I'm old so I need all the assist I can get! :D

Chairman7w
13-05-2015, 21:50
I'm old too! BUT I did notice I got faster when I took breaking assist off. That's the one assist I go without.

Skeme_DBT
13-05-2015, 22:09
All assists off until today where I set it to 'Real'.

owenmorris
13-05-2015, 22:14
All assist off here to, what does it mean by real assist.

Old skool hemi
13-05-2015, 22:20
Hi, i dont use any assists i run as realistic as i can.. I love the car to feel on the limit. Hey guys remember one thing..... just LOOK AT IT :dejection:

JessicaWalter
13-05-2015, 22:22
i use real assists.

playing with the ds4. only problem i have (aside from learning this game, lol) is lack of buttons for mapping

Iwanchek
14-05-2015, 10:22
im using ds4 controller and all assist are off except stability control and with practice uve to feeling for the car...!

i recommend to drive slowly with and without assists!

Pablo2008jedi
14-05-2015, 10:24
TC only with some cars, specially the higher powered ones.

xLeper_Messiah
14-05-2015, 10:40
Better lap times because assists help you not suck at driving? or better lap times because assists actually make your car faster somehow?

I always thought fastest possible lap times would be with no assists.. For example when traction control is used, it brakes one two three or all wheels to keep the car in a straight line. Braking means slower car. A player who countersteers out of a slide will be faster than one who uses traction control to keep from spinning (since traction control uses brakes). Or am I missing something?

What you've described is stability control, traction control just limits throttle input to counteract wheelspin on acceleration. On topic: I use "Real" setting for assists, I figure if TC & ABS is good enough for IRL race drivers it's good enough for me!

Also, unlike the Forza games it doesn't seem like TC and ABS slow you down (relative to not using them at all) in this game; I think the ability to adjust the slip % probably helps.

_MB_
14-05-2015, 10:42
Real assists

SL1DE
14-05-2015, 10:43
I use assists because controller. Just traction/stability whatever they have. I actually haven't tried it with assists off yet, I probably should.

CPS-3
14-05-2015, 10:58
All off for me. Best to learn it the right way from the start.

Speed Fiend
14-05-2015, 11:20
@ ramm21 +1
this is how I always understood assists in other games, (assists=more braking and less accel). If your skill level is amateur then I could see the assists being advantageous since counter-steering and power slides are most likely not your best abilities. the effects caused by assists are relative to your skill level, driving style and road conditions.
Just because your skill level or driving style may warrant you to turn ON some or all of these assists don't think this makes you a bad driver. That's just your preference. The setting are there for you to enjoy the game to the fullest. Doesn't matter if your driving with a wheel or pad or driving in the wet or dry or if you are a pro or an amateur just set your assists so its FUN!!

djdavedoc
14-05-2015, 11:23
I turned them all off. Whilst I was alpha/BETA testing this I progressively turned the assists off. The only difference now to back then is that I am playing the game on the PS4 with the Dual Shock 4 controller (as Sony suck and my 911 Turbo S Wheel isn't supported by the PS4). I do find it harder with the controller with the assists off it has to be said.

mantukas334
14-05-2015, 11:39
ur probalby right, but one wrong gas pedal push and u spin your wheels, and all the gained time is lost

Feetabix
14-05-2015, 12:17
All off for me, and I'm using a t300 wheel with paddles......my 'bag' is lap time setting in free practice mode, like one huge qualifying session, and I love the idea of moderating throttle and brakes without assists......it does mean I bin it on many hot laps, but it's then all the sweeter to string a good lap together and nail it.......

I've basically spent a decade learning the Nurburgring and I can usually lap within 2/3 seconds difference over an 8 minute lap......shaving a tenth off my best time in a given car after an evening spent adjusting settings gives me a h@rd-on......

Edit!......I didn't mean that as a boast!.....it's just a bit more special to nail one with the assists fully off......

Ironfistedmonk
14-05-2015, 12:25
I try to race with assists off, but some of the cars especially the road ones are too difficult for me to handle.

McKiernan
14-05-2015, 12:36
I like to keep it realistic so I use real assists, so if for example a GT3 car comes with ABS and Traction Control, that's how I roll.

Markusnikov
14-05-2015, 12:42
After a few tests with BMW E30, SLS GT3 and Formula A, I feel more comfortable without any aids, with the 'real' setting I can't understand enough the braking physics and some weight transfer. Innitialy I was a little contraried about the FA sensations, but without aids it feel more similar to others sims to me (AC with 'factory settings' for example).

After this I got a question: are those aids in real mode a individual recreation of those aids, or they are a generic assistance?
Maybe we are with another GT6 ABS1=SRF-LITE case?
I say this because in the BMW 1 Series M, for example, with real assists, You can graduate the TC level and you can't do it in the real car.

HarryHoodlum
14-05-2015, 14:12
I'm an IDIOT

I've been playing the game with all assists OFF, even though I thought they were on. No wonder I spin out so much. In settings, I had assists turned to ALL but individually they were set to OFF. Much easier with them on. Wish there was a slider or something because the assists feel really strong and invasive, but it's better than spinning out uncontrollably any time I downshift.

GoTaLL
14-05-2015, 15:01
all assists off.. more fun

but if i were to play with controller I would use assists for sure

dvc
14-05-2015, 15:10
Better lap times because assists help you not suck at driving? or better lap times because assists actually make your car faster somehow?

I always thought fastest possible lap times would be with no assists.. For example when traction control is used, it brakes one two three or all wheels to keep the car in a straight line. Braking means slower car. A player who countersteers out of a slide will be faster than one who uses traction control to keep from spinning (since traction control uses brakes). Or am I missing something?

It makes car more forgiving. Slide is usually slowest way round the corner. Its not about countering the slide but not sliding in the first place. ABS will prevent you from locking up. You can brake later and still turn with 100% brakes. When you lock up you destroy the tires faster and you braking distance is much bigger.Etc.

HarryHoodlum
14-05-2015, 15:45
all assists off.. more fun

but if i were to play with controller I would use assists for sure

That's basically my logic. There's not enough nuances in the controls using a gamepad to have assists off. I have the longer xbox one sticks on all my DS4's (they are 100% compatible if you were wondering, very easy mod) and it's still difficult to feather the steering.

msc
28-12-2016, 01:39
Up there !
Just to know, on the leaderboard on PS4, how do we know who is using assist and who isn't ?
Thanks !

gotdirt410sprintcar
28-12-2016, 05:05
But you learn how to race/ drive better with them off you just can't go in too a corner and expect to go from six gear to first gear and brake at the 150 foot mark. And not expect tire lock up in real world or game.

hkraft300
28-12-2016, 09:42
Up there !
Just to know, on the leaderboard on PS4, how do we know who is using assist and who isn't ?
Thanks !

That's some digging...
PS: no I don't think so. You can see gamepad/wheel that's it. I think.
On the PC leaderboards which are separate, you can check/filter by assists.

But you learn how to race/ drive better with them off you just can't go in too a corner and expect to go from six gear to first gear and brake at the 150 foot mark. And not expect tire lock up in real world or game.

If you're good without assists, you'll be good with assists. But if you're good with assists, doesn't mean you'll be good without them.
In which case: if you run real assists, you'll have a great time in FA, GT3 and LMP2 for example. But then you struggle at classics, Sauber, Gr A/4/5 touring cars... Some road cars... You restrict yourself too much with assists. Of course you can turn them on for the classics but where's the fun in not having the turbo spit you at the wall?

Python-Five
28-12-2016, 10:11
My take on this: use the assists that are available on the car like ABS, TC and SC. Do not use steering help or braking help or race line. See what assists are on your car of choice and go with them. Take a look at this website: http://projectcarssetups.eu. Beside setups, there is also information about the car: shifter pattern and whether there is ABS, TC or SC or not. Also take a look here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?44494-List-of-the-cars-with-their-electronic-assists

And if you go classic and there are no assists: practice, practice, practice ;-)

hkraft300
28-12-2016, 11:57
And if you go classic and there are no assists: practice, practice, practice ;-)

I agree. I also think you should practice without assists on all cars, then turn on real assists for the race.
Also the TC is adjustable in car tuning. 1% is business mode and 14% is party mode.