PDA

View Full Version : [FRAME DROP SOLUTION INSIDE] Please lock the frame rate, this is not working.

fangiojr
14-05-2015, 03:33
I know there is suppose to be a 4-7% increase, but the game is unplayable even in dry daytime.

The problem is going to 60 FPS ACTUALLY MAKES THE GAME APPEAR WORSE, because it highlights much more when you drop to 20 fps. If the game was locked at 30 or 35 or even 40 you are falling 10-15 fps, but when it momentarily jumps to 60 fps then when it falls to 20 the frame drop is highlighted much more and frankly creates a real problem for the racer because you just had a 40 ~fps fluxuation.

I know it's nice to be able to say we have this many fps and it pleases sales people but if it's between that and having an unplayable game

TechnologicMau5
14-05-2015, 04:11
I had about 20GB free on my hard drive, and I had quite a few issues with inconsistent frame rate. My buddy said he cleared a bunch of stuff on his hard drive before getting the game, and he hasn't had any issue. I now have 88GB free on my system, and it is super smooth now. I'm really disappointed in Microsoft actually that hard drive space is such an issue, you'd think they would have made 1TB the standard. At least we found a temp fix for this issue, hope it helps :)

turbohondaej1
14-05-2015, 04:32
I had about 20GB free on my hard drive, and I had quite a few issues with inconsistent frame rate. My buddy said he cleared a bunch of stuff on his hard drive before getting the game, and he hasn't had any issue. I now have 88GB free on my system, and it is super smooth now. I'm really disappointed in Microsoft actually that hard drive space is such an issue, you'd think they would have made 1TB the standard. At least we found a temp fix for this issue, hope it helps :)

Really I may have to delete stuff to I just hate deleting my games. Do you know if an external hard drive is helping frame rates too?

fangiojr
14-05-2015, 04:58

Darn I just checked and I have 150gb free. Hopefully the patch will address it. I guess I can try a reinstall (I'm digital download).

TechnologicMau5
14-05-2015, 05:21
Yea, I definitely don't see it being a long-term fix, but it helps a bit. You shouldn't be having too many issues with that much space free, but maybe doing a hard restart & reinstall may help if it's really bad. I've got digital as well.

You could also try fiddling with the visual settings too, but I haven't ventured that far myself, so I don't really have any specific suggestions on what to try changing.

menaceuk
14-05-2015, 05:23
Only tracks that I have played thus far with terrible FPS are Oulton Park, which sometimes turns into a slide show, and Brands Hatch. Some other tracks have small FPS issues but nothing major.

TechnologicMau5
14-05-2015, 05:31
Only tracks that I have played thus far with terrible FPS are Oulton Park, which sometimes turns into a slide show, and Brands Hatch. Some other tracks have small FPS issues but nothing major.

I was testing at Oulton when I cleared space, I've had the most issue with Watkins Glen, but I haven't been back there since.

Pikamark
14-05-2015, 05:37
I also have digital version installed on a usb3 2TB external drive and have no issue at all but I did delete and reinstall as it hadn't taken the first update properly
Hope you get it sorted

menaceuk
14-05-2015, 05:50
I was testing at Oulton when I cleared space, I've had the most issue with Watkins Glen, but I haven't been back there since.

Its weird, I initially thought maybe it is the trees, cause there are a lot of trees on those two British tracks. However, I was time trialling on Nordchleife last night and it was nigh on perfect. So I have absolutely no clue why those 2 tacks are so bad and the other 10-12 tracks I have played have been nigh on perfect or not too bad.

Benja190782
14-05-2015, 06:08
Oulton Park and Watkins Glen are the two worst tracks, when it comes to FPS.
From what I can tell - almost all people that did the external install, have experienced a much better FPS in general in Project CARS.

So I'm gonna buy one next week... No doubt about it!

thisisbleep
14-05-2015, 06:23
Hard reset your console and if possible have the game installed on an external hard drive, it should improve the performance.

As for optimisation of the game, the developers are still working on that and the percentage of improvement is higher now.

L4velle
14-05-2015, 06:51
I have the game installed on external hd and I am experiencing frame rate issues. Played an online race at Road anerica last night and I'm sure that the fps dropped down so low that it caused the game to crash and return to xbox homepage. I hope this is high on the priority list for the team. If someone from the team could confirm if a uninstall and reinstall is in anyway beneficial I would be grateful. I personally don't think it would make a bit of difference.

menaceuk
14-05-2015, 06:51
Hard reset your console and if possible have the game installed on an external hard drive, it should improve the performance.

As for optimisation of the game, the developers are still working on that and the percentage of improvement is higher now.

Hard Reset does nothing.

flymar
14-05-2015, 06:55
Its weird, I initially thought maybe it is the trees, cause there are a lot of trees on those two British tracks. However, I was time trialling on Nordchleife last night and it was nigh on perfect. So I have absolutely no clue why those 2 tacks are so bad and the other 10-12 tracks I have played have been nigh on perfect or not too bad. game uses 3Dtrees and x-form trees. Nords mainly uses x-form while at Bathurst you can see 3d.

menaceuk
14-05-2015, 06:58
game uses 3Dtrees and x-form trees. Nords mainly uses x-form while at Bathurst you can see 3d.

Oh, ok.

It is a bit hard to notice the difference when bombing about the tracks.

fangiojr
14-05-2015, 07:15
I quit my game, cleared persistent storage and then played again. Seems to be loads better, not sure why this would fix the problem but I'm certain it did.

Captnkuesel
14-05-2015, 07:33
I have hickups in the game, the screen freezes for half a second or so... Really annoying, did anyone experience that as well? Does clearing persistent storage make any sense if you never watched a dvd or blu ray?

menaceuk
14-05-2015, 07:40
I quit my game, cleared persistent storage and then played again. Seems to be loads better, not sure why this would fix the problem but I'm certain it did.

Cleared persistent storage? How do you do that?

Captnkuesel
14-05-2015, 07:44
Under blu ray settings you can do that.

chillgreg
14-05-2015, 07:56
I know there is suppose to be a 4-7% increase, but the game is unplayable even in dry daytime.

The problem is going to 60 FPS ACTUALLY MAKES THE GAME APPEAR WORSE, because it highlights much more when you drop to 20 fps. If the game was locked at 30 or 35 or even 40 you are falling 10-15 fps, but when it momentarily jumps to 60 fps then when it falls to 20 the frame drop is highlighted much more and frankly creates a real problem for the racer because you just had a 40 ~fps fluxuation.

I know it's nice to be able to say we have this many fps and it pleases sales people but if it's between that and having an unplayable game

Please DON'T lock the framerate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read the article at Digital Foundry to understand why doing so will adversely affect the controller response.

A locked framerate may be desirable in RPGs etc, but certainly not in racing games/FPS etc.

fangiojr
14-05-2015, 08:14
Please DON'T lock the framerate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read the article at Digital Foundry to understand why doing so will adversely affect the controller response.

A locked framerate may be desirable in RPGs etc, but certainly not in racing games/FPS etc.

I couldn't find the article or area of it you mention. I see a real flaw with the fact fps doesn't flux on speed changes. Fps dropping gives the effect of looking like the car slows down, therefore when that happens when you are actually speeding up it equates to the screen appearing you are slowing down or going slower when indeed you are not.

The other major problem I see is what you describe of controller usage in racing game. This is scary because the FPS changes based upon weather / number of cars right.

So now you have a scenario where your controller does not operate / feel the same on a specific turn as it did the previous lap due to FPS drop from competitor cars. I need this to be consistent lap after lap.

Dazza
14-05-2015, 08:28
so many tvs have 50hz option why not give us the option to play at a locked 50fps, less drops and not as extreme, 60fps to 40fps is pretty bad, 50fps to 40fps woud be better and if we could play at 50fps we would have less screen tears and would be alot better than 30fps. or would microsoft not allow this?

menaceuk
14-05-2015, 09:37

This actually worked, how strange. Why would Blu-ray persistent storage affect a game??

Any way, after clearing persistent storage I took to Oulton Park International and turned 10 laps and the performance is 98% better. Only place with obviously noticeable drops is exiting the corner before the chicane. but was nothing unplayable.

Tillj
14-05-2015, 09:44
Oulton Park and Watkins Glen are the two worst tracks, when it comes to FPS.
From what I can tell - almost all people that did the external install, have experienced a much better FPS in general in Project CARS.

So I'm gonna buy one next week... No doubt about it!

Watkins Glen was very noticeable on multiplayer, less so on singleplayer. It (FPS DROP) also occurs only at certain corners round Watkins Glen.