View Full Version : Gear Ratio control?

Michael Moe
14-05-2015, 09:07
Hi,

Seems like this part is not quite adjustable ? Strange steps and some is locked

Michael Moe

Sankyo
14-05-2015, 09:08
I'm not into the details of this and there might be a bug (please elaborate, which car, post screenshots etc.), but not all cars have (freely) adjustable gear ratios in real life. Either by design or by regulations of the race discipline they're in.

Michael Moe
14-05-2015, 10:59
I'm not into the details of this and there might be a bug (please elaborate, which car, post screenshots etc.), but not all cars have (freely) adjustable gear ratios in real life. Either by design or by regulations of the race discipline they're in.

Thanks,

well i did not know that sorry. The Car is the SLS AMG GT3

Michael Moe

Kato217
15-05-2015, 12:59
Think I have a similar issue with the Aston Martin V8 Vantage GT4.

tl:dr - In game there are only 6 gear ratios to choose from for a transmission with 6 gears - therefore depending on actual GT4 Technical regs, either lock out the ability to adjust gears with the GT4 series cars, or add more gear ratios to choose from.

Long version:
In Free Practice trying to adjust the Aston Martin V8 Vantage GT4 setup. In the "Gearing" screen, 6 gears are available to be adjusted, with gears 7 & 8 locked out, which is fine. The problem is that although the sliders for each individual gear are infinitely adjustable, the game only allows you to select one of 6 total gear ratios, so there is actually no adjustment available for gears at all.

Specifically, the default ratios are: 1st gear = 3.15 ratio, 2nd gear = 1.97 ratio, 3rd = 1.43, 4th = 1.14, 5th = 0.93, 6th = 0.77 - see pic below:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/720918725564642350/0FEDE15D2EE917CD9E1172FB2CF643C4E51D75DD/

If you place a slider a little further up or down from its default position, save it, and return to the screen, the slider and gear ratio will return to the original value. Sliders moved, but haven't clicked "save" yet:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/720918725564642541/EA300DD35D66DED07CCEFB38DD564DCA97CE96C2/

If you slide it a little further, it will go to the next ratio up, which is being used by the next gear. e.g. slide 2nd gear a little to the right, and it jumps to 1.43 after being saved (i.e the same ratio already being used by 3rd gear) - see below:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/720918725564642664/663F31D7E136581CE72BE51DFFED6DC4AE7918DD/

Since there are only 6 total ratios to choose from, you either have to leave them all in the default ratios, or have 2 gears using the same ratio. I don't know the real GT4 rules, but if GT4 only allows 6 total ratios (and no "in between" ratios), then gears 1 through 6 should be locked out with GT4 like 7th and 8th gears are.

If GT4 rules do allow more than 6 gear ratios, then please add more available gear ratios to the game.

Thanks for reading this far!

DozUK
15-05-2015, 14:19
I have the same issue in the Clio (And others), the gear ratios are adjustable but by only in increments that force 2 gears to be the same ratio (If you change any) which eliminates a gear (Like shown in the picture above).

Itothans
20-05-2015, 04:46
BUMP, same happening to me. Just interested to see if it's intentional or not.

Bealdor
20-05-2015, 06:38
The reason for this are the GT3 homologation rules. Gearboxes are almost completely fixed IRL on those cars.
No bug, just reflecting real life.

DozUK
20-05-2015, 08:49
The reason for this are the GT3 homologation rules. Gearboxes are almost completely fixed IRL on those cars.
No bug, just reflecting real life.

Hi, I'm not sure if you're addressing my query or Kato's?

My query is that I cannot seem (In the cars I've driven so far) change the gear ratio's. It lets me, but they're only adjustable in increments that force two gears to be the same ratio which therefore eliminates a gear (two the same). Kato demonstrates this in his final picture.

If this is the case I'm not sure why it allows you to adjust? Apologies if I'm missing something simple here, I'm not too hot with gears but trying to learn

Luke Townsend
20-05-2015, 09:10
I think your issue, DozUK, is that the gear options are so limited on some cars (due to real-life rules or limitations) that the ratios cannot be changed. I agree, it's a bit of a bug that the setup screen allows you to choose the same ratio for 2 different gears. Yes, someone could do that in reality but they just wouldn't. As a result of allowing 2 gears with same ratios it is confusing people.

Gassolini
20-05-2015, 10:07
It just the general mechanics of the tuning. Just like you can also make completely strange and dangerous setups with rest of the setup parameters, you can make a bodged box should you want to.

While it has caused confusion for some, it should be easy to understand once explained. While I can see the argument for locking boxes where available_ratios == number_of_gears, I'd rather have the flexibility to simulate a broken box, e.g. to relive Senna's famous drive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Brazilian_Grand_Prix) where he was stuck in 6th and still won the race. You could also do challenges an training in managing your energy, by limiting available gears. You could of course discipline yourself to not use certain gears, but still, 'simulating' a box where you're forced to go from, say 2nd to 4th, is better done this way. Far fetched? For some maybe, but personally I hope this possibility will not be locked out :)

Luke Townsend
20-05-2015, 10:58
While I can see the argument for locking boxes where available_ratios == number_of_gears, I'd rather have the flexibility to simulate a broken box, e.g. to relive Senna's famous drive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Brazilian_Grand_Prix) where he was stuck in 6th and still won the race. You could also do challenges an training in managing your energy, by limiting available gears. You could of course discipline yourself to not use certain gears, but still, 'simulating' a box where you're forced to go from, say 2nd to 4th, is better done this way. Far fetched? For some maybe, but personally I hope this possibility will not be locked out :)

Good point! Not thought of that. I'm totally for open systems, but I've seen quite a bit of confusion due to this in other places too including a YouTube video - 4th and 5th gears of the Caterham 7 (whose ratios can't be changed to anything useful AFAIK) were set the same, confusing the driver and calling out a bug when it wasn't. Maybe just a warning message if you do pick 2 gears with the same ratio? That keeps the option open but lets people doing it accidentally know there is an issue.

Bealdor
20-05-2015, 11:22
Hi, I'm not sure if you're addressing my query or Kato's?

My query is that I cannot seem (In the cars I've driven so far) change the gear ratio's. It lets me, but they're only adjustable in increments that force two gears to be the same ratio which therefore eliminates a gear (two the same). Kato demonstrates this in his final picture.

If this is the case I'm not sure why it allows you to adjust? Apologies if I'm missing something simple here, I'm not too hot with gears but trying to learn

Actually I meant all three of you (including OP). A lot of cars are homologated, that means you can only use certain gear ratios or have completely fixed gearboxes where you only can adjust the final/global ratio.
I don't know why it still allows you to adjust this, but most likely it's because to save coding work to lock out those options or maybe bacause you could do it IRL (but nobody does for obvious reasons).
Third option: It's a minor bug that has (very) low priority.

DozUK
20-05-2015, 12:38
Actually I meant all three of you (including OP). A lot of cars are homologated, that means you can only use certain gear ratios or have completely fixed gearboxes where you only can adjust the final/global ratio.
I don't know why it still allows you to adjust this, but most likely it's because to save coding work to lock out those options or maybe bacause you could do it IRL (but nobody does for obvious reasons).
Third option: It's a minor bug that has (very) low priority.

Thank you for answering, I'm fine with how it is, I just wasn't sure if I was missing something as I don't fully understand this side of things just yet

ThePla7Maker
20-05-2015, 13:03
exact same problem I just had on oulton park fosters track. changing any gear ratio with that car made it worse . and overall ratio was locked at top.

Roger Prynne
20-05-2015, 13:21
Basic answer is that gear setting/ratios in the game reflect real life values.

Luke Townsend
20-05-2015, 14:14
exact same problem I just had on oulton park fosters track. changing any gear ratio with that car made it worse . and overall ratio was locked at top.

The Caterham Seven? It's rather underpowered compared to the other cars, and fifth is somewhat useless for racing! It's a road car so fifth is meant for cruising maybe. To get a bit more out of it, it's very tempting to lower the ratios and I've tried myself but it can't be done with that car. Same for everyone though so fair enough. ;)

StBull
20-05-2015, 19:54
iv just read this i was getting a little frustrated too with the limited choice of positions for the gear ratios on the BMW M3 . I get that your trying to reflect real life and use the real ratios but the fact you can edit them but not get any sort of proper gearing range without a matching gear is sort of frustrating . Surely it should be on them models all locked if theres really only one range you can use and not tease you to try and change something when it not possible ? Its a bit like teasing a dog with a toy and never handing it over lol

Roger Prynne
20-05-2015, 20:54
Just a mistake is all it is.