PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding Thrustmaster TX 458 or 458 spider

Royall58
14-05-2015, 09:52
Hi Guys,

I want to start using Project Cars with a wheel but need some help deciding which wheel to go for. It's obvious the TX 458 is the better wheel but there is a 200 difference between them! My plan of action was to buy the Spider and use it for a while to get used to driving with a wheel then upgrade to the FFB TX when I know I'll be using a wheel all the time. I have never had a wheel with FFB so will I be missing much with the less expensive one?

I would like some opinions on both wheels, is it worth spending the extra 200 to start with or starting with the cheaper one.

Thanks in advance.

Durand1981
14-05-2015, 10:01
Thrustmaster TX Ferrari 458 all the way, yes sure its more money..

But as always you get what you pay for, and i can vouch at 10 months in, its the mutts nuts and will stand you in good stead for time to come.

You get the feel for teh rumble in your feet via peddles as well as the wheel, the FFB is phenominal and on a sim be it PC or XB1 with project cars and the like.

You will see it and feel it all, i can tell you now no hesitation after getting used to the wheel i would not go back to controller and if there was no choice i would stop racing its that simple.

nissan4ever
14-05-2015, 10:19
I own a Thrustmaster TX. That's what I recommend you get. Remember, you get what you pay for. My TX is mounted to a Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2. Yes, that's racing shoes & gloves in the picture as well :) 202951

Benja190782
14-05-2015, 10:32
I got the TX and that is simply amazing - TX all the way! No doubt about it...

Royall58
14-05-2015, 10:51
Cheers for the replies guys! It looks like I will be splashing the extra cash!

Does the TX work okay with a fold out table and chair I.E play-ability ? As I can't afford the bucket seat etc.

Got any pics of your set-ups?

Royall58
14-05-2015, 12:19
no where has this in stock!!! Why????

leftturney
14-05-2015, 12:36
I tried my TX on a folding table once and it just spun the folding table. I ended up building a rig out of PVC. It is terribly ugly but works great. If you wanted to get an actual stand though that is cheap.. I would recommend this one http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/wheel-stands-table-clamps/csl-wheel-stand-us.html

Ixoye56
14-05-2015, 16:08
Or this.... http://wheelstandpro.com/

scgor
14-05-2015, 16:19
The TX is worth the money its excellent and with the ability to add better pedals and new wheel rims great

Rxhevntt
14-05-2015, 18:12
Hi Guys,

I want to start using Project Cars with a wheel but need some help deciding which wheel to go for. It's obvious the TX 458 is the better wheel but there is a 200 difference between them! My plan of action was to buy the Spider and use it for a while to get used to driving with a wheel then upgrade to the FFB TX when I know I'll be using a wheel all the time. I have never had a wheel with FFB so will I be missing much with the less expensive one?

I would like some opinions on both wheels, is it worth spending the extra 200 to start with or starting with the cheaper one.

Thanks in advance.

Reposting from another similar thread:

2. My Wheel Decision
I cant speak about external HDD, but I am considering one myself; however, your dilemma with the wheels I can definitely help with. I did not have a budget for the TX wheel, or maybe I should say I was skeptical about "going all in" as you put it. So I tested the waters with the 458 Spider wheel (Spider)--the red one without FFB. My logic was this: With a controller, there is no way to accurately hold the controller stick consistently steady in a sweeping turn--its a constant jerking adjustment; and, there is no FFB in a controller stick right? I figure--being able to hold the wheel in the same position consistently through the turns would make this a better input device than a controller. For the $89 at Gamestop, and the fact that they had a full return without questions policy--I took the plunge. Boy was I right! In fact, I was so impressed, I coughed up the extra money for the Tx AND a wheel stand pro.

3. My Thoughts
Having been through your dilemma, and now being a couple of months past it, I would say DEFINITELY. My wheel/pedal purchases have seriously altered my daily life. I have been a racing game fan for a long time--longer than I am willing to admit. I have never this immersed into a game; I have never been as quick as I am now; and I certainly have never logged this many hours having to force myself to go to sleep because I want to keep playing. I owe that to the Thrustmaster Wheel. I even just joined a league!

Hope this helps!

RUSH3RCR
14-05-2015, 20:38
I'm thinking about making this jump as well. I ended up in a race in the rain and just could not even get a time. I entered the race and in a few laps I had to pit and since I was far behind I let the AI driver finish the race for me. It was amazing to watch how smooth and fast he(or she) was. I assume the AI drivers were created with a wheel. I cannot afford one of those specialized seats and I like to sit on my couch. I used previous cheaper wheels for the PS2 and 360 which slip under my legs to hold the wheel in place and I just had to make the pedals not move around by putting something behind them. I know this is a thrustmaster thread but how do you guys feel about the Mad Catz. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00GSJAQ9W/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d13_i2?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=03YWZ7HNYF0HNYEP95S4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1949527442&pf_rd_i=915398

Pikamark
14-05-2015, 21:09
Game stop have them in stock m8 received mine today and only ordered 2 days ago

https://www.gamestop.co.uk/Xbox%20One/Games/46430/tx-racing-wheel-ferrari-458-italia-edition

Dynomight Motorsports
14-05-2015, 22:24
Try Ebay, I got a spectacular deal on one with the GTE wheel thrown in for about $250 USD with a one year warranty and still in original Packaging.

MillsLayne
14-05-2015, 22:33
I was debating this, too, but I ultimately went with the Spider with the intention of upgrading later on (plus, I didn't have the money for the Italia). I'm going to be ordering a cheaper sim rig (with seat!) fairly soon, so the FFB wheel will have to wait, but at some point I'll definitely upgrade.

Dynomight Motorsports
14-05-2015, 23:10
I built mine from scratch with scrap wood and a seat from a junk-yard. I haven't mounted my TX yet this still has my CSR Fanatec on it. I'm looking to get a Basher board so I can use my pedals with the TX.
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h442/mikevoltz1/IMG_20141126_210553_zps5747af65.jpg (http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/mikevoltz1/media/IMG_20141126_210553_zps5747af65.jpg.html)

thevilleky
15-05-2015, 14:21
I was debating this, too, but I ultimately went with the Spider with the intention of upgrading later on (plus, I didn't have the money for the Italia). I'm going to be ordering a cheaper sim rig (with seat!) fairly soon, so the FFB wheel will have to wait, but at some point I'll definitely upgrade.

Ordered the 458 spider, non forcefeedback. Sounds like its not really supported by the game right now, so hope i dont regret it. I had the xbox 360 ffb wheel and loved it. Played crazy amounts of time in forza 1 and 2 and set some top 100 lap times. Not bad when 300k people have run the track.

Wheel gets here today, at least amazon says it will, so I'll give it a go and give a review. Never used a non ffb wheel so it should be interesting.

Psychomatrix
15-05-2015, 14:41
I think only a ffb wheel make sense. I've tried play forza 4 with the thrustmaster 458 and it was terrible, and forza 4 simulated less parameters than pc. On other games I it was a lot of fun, but racing sims need a got ffb, because you must know what tires and suspension do. I think it's better to save the money and buy a ffb.

Rxhevntt
15-05-2015, 16:00
Ordered the 458 spider, non forcefeedback. Sounds like its not really supported by the game right now, so hope i dont regret it. I had the xbox 360 ffb wheel and loved it. Played crazy amounts of time in forza 1 and 2 and set some top 100 lap times. Not bad when 300k people have run the track.

Wheel gets here today, at least amazon says it will, so I'll give it a go and give a review. Never used a non ffb wheel so it should be interesting.

Congrats man. If its not supported, I would really suggest trying it with Forza. But I cannot stress enough MAKE SURE YOU ADJUST THE SENSITIVITY SETTINGS. I was so disappointed when I first tried it, until I found out you could change the sensitivity. There will be no indication that this is even possible with the wheel/instructions provided. Its a button press combo on the wheel itself (pretty sure right paddle and mode button). I used 3 flashing lights, it worked perfectly! And dont listen to the haters, you made a good purchase. It still has resistance which is a big part of what FFB is. Have fun! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Im sure others are too!

xxBENxx
15-05-2015, 16:10
The difference between the Tx and the Spider is that the TX cost a lot more money roughly 200 more and for that extra 200 you get force feedback. apart from that and the colour scheme they are both the same.

Psychomatrix
15-05-2015, 16:50
You can customize the tx wheel. So for hundred extra bucks you can get a 458 GTE Wheel or a F1 Wheel. If they take the GTE wheel as standard i would buy it, because the 458 Italia Wheel looks not so good as the add on wheels.

IgorTheHunchback
15-05-2015, 18:06
I'm looking at getting the 458 Spider as well I hope it works well with PCars. Looking forward to your review thevilleky

Edit

From what I've seen of the Spider wheel it doesn't have rumble it's just a dead wheel so I think I will save my money and get a ffb wheel instead.

thevilleky
16-05-2015, 02:15
Hey all, so the wheel came today. I'll break it down simple as I can. First some context, I'm 39, been gaming since the atari days, have owned about 8 different gaming consoles, couple playstations, and all the xbox's. Put about 1000 hours into forza 1 and 2 and used to be a pretty active tuner back in forza 2 days. I ran with the ms ffb wheel and managed to set a lot of top 100 times. That was 5 or 6 years ago. Been itching to get back into the racing thing for awhile and project cars seemed to be getting solid reviews. I have plenty of coin to buy a ffb wheel but I got 3 kids and I'm cheap. So after seeing some other reviews on the thrustmaster 458 spider I thought I'd give it a shot. It was 94 bucks after tax and free shipping from amazon. Pretty much an impulse purchase at that price.

So the good.

Solid feel

Rubberized grips feel great

"linear" band resistance is very satisfying to drive and offers ample feedback to be immersive and responsive

Metal paddle shifters are a step up from ms plastic ones

Plugged in the wheel, went to setup in the pcars menu, game self identified the thrustmaster spider wheel, had buttons to calibrate, did the calibration of wheel and pedals and then went racing. Didn't change a single other setting at all.

Set I think a top 20 time on Road America with a formula one car, bone stock, no tuning, took about 7 laps. A 1:46 and change. Top time is 1:38. I won't reach that, but I've put in enough hours sim racing to know I can drop 3-4 seconds off of my 1:46. For one I don't even have the pedals locked down on the floor. They move the whole time I brake and throttle, and are turned 45 degrees by the end of a lap. Gotta hit stop and readjust the pedals every lap.

The bad

Other then the rubberized grips and the paddle shifters everything feels a little cheap. Fit and finish if you will is lacking. A, B,X,Y buttons all feel a little loose. Just lacking a really solid put together feel. It's not terrible, and the price is obviously pretty low, but a lot of the wheel looks and feels like a toy. The wheel mechanism, and "bungee chord" system feel great. That has a very solid satisfying feel, but most of the other buttons feel less then stellar. But hey, it's 95 bucks, so I guess thrustmaster put the money to good use making the steering feel solid.

Lot's of cheap looking toy plastic, hey it is only 95 bucks.

Followed directions in package but can't seem to get the wheel to do anything other then 2 of it's 4 "presets." You're supposed to do lb,rb,a,b at the same time to cycle thru 4 presets. I can't get my wheel to do that. It will only cycle through two and it's not easy at all.

Wheel is only recognized after unplugging your xbox, and then plugging in. Even so several times the lb and rb stopped working. Which makes it impossible to navigate the menus, even if you don't use manual gears for driving. This was very, very, annoying and required 4 or 5 hard resets, unplug the xbox, and so forth, to get wheel working again. Didn't have to go through recalibration, but still a big hastle.

No headset plug in, but you can listen to headset through other xbox remote. This is less then ideal of course.

The bungee chord system while satisfying does take a lot more effort to turn at the limits then I expected. This is definitely not a hold in your lap wheel. You need it mounted.
The pedals are going to slide all over the place if you don't find a place to mount them. Thrustmaster I think says the bungee chords offer linear resistance. This means for example if a 20 degree turn takes x effort, then a 40 degree turn takes 2x or double the effort, a 60 degree takes 3x or triple the effort, etc. So when you turn the wheel almost full lock it takes a pretty strong turn. This approximates ffb but isn't as precise and you don't get any rumble effect. It's also not 100% tied to understeer or oversteer which you can usually feel with a "lightness" in the ms ffb wheel. Thrustmaster spider is it's just harder and harder to turn, the farther you turn the wheel. Still, it's some voodoo magic for 95 dollars. It is very satisfying to drive.

Little bit of deadzone in the middle of the wheel, maybe 10 degrees as others have noted. I haven't tried to mess with settings to adjust, and to be honest I don't think it was really enough to effect my driving, but it's there.

Verdict:
Very satisfying to use when actually racing. Set some great lap times, crushed my controller times, and didn't miss the ffb hardly at all. If you're looking for an entry level wheel, that comes pretty close to a ffb wheel, but don't want to make the 400 dollar investment, this is definitely a wheel I would consider. Make sure you have a plan to mount and support it. You will be very disappointed if you can't lock down the wheel and pedals some how. There are tons of rigs out there, and wifey is getting me a rig for my 40th birthday, so I'm set there.

gamertag is thevilleky as well if you want to call bs on the lap times. They're posted. I have no idea really if the times I've set are that great, as not a lot of people have run time trials yet, but at least you can get an idea of what you're running now with a controller and decide if you want to make the jump to a wheel. It's damn satisfying to feel like I'm driving a car again, instead of flicking a controller around.

Final thoughts. A force feedback wheel if you can spare the coin, and are going to spend a lot of time racing is a no brainer. Read some reviews on various ffb wheels and get one. If you love sim racing, but got a wife and kids, never used a wheel before and want to get a toe in the water, don't have the budget for a 400 dollar wheel, or just won't put in 100's of hours playing, then the thrustmaster spider seems a great entry point to get into sim racing with a reasonable investment.

MillsLayne
16-05-2015, 02:53

I've been using my Spider on it for the past few days and it's been great! Although, I've never used a FFB wheel, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I've been having a lot of fun with it.

Nickname85
16-05-2015, 09:15
S

Followed directions in package but can't seem to get the wheel to do anything other then 2 of it's 4 "presets." You're supposed to do lb,rb,a,b at the same time to cycle thru 4 presets. I can't get my wheel to do that. It will only cycle through two and it's not easy at all.

Is it possible you used the combination for changing the auto-cluth option. That option has two settings...on or off...so 1 or 2 flashes.

I also througt that the combination for changing sensitivity was Lb/rb and y/b at the same time.
Enjoy the wheel, i know i ma enjoying it:)

cliffter88
16-05-2015, 09:35
Hey all, so the wheel came today. I'll break it down simple as I can. First some context, I'm 39, been gaming since the atari days, have owned about 8 different gaming consoles, couple playstations, and all the xbox's. Put about 1000 hours into forza 1 and 2 and used to be a pretty active tuner back in forza 2 days. I ran with the ms ffb wheel and managed to set a lot of top 100 times. That was 5 or 6 years ago. Been itching to get back into the racing thing for awhile and project cars seemed to be getting solid reviews. I have plenty of coin to buy a ffb wheel but I got 3 kids and I'm cheap. So after seeing some other reviews on the thrustmaster 458 spider I thought I'd give it a shot. It was 94 bucks after tax and free shipping from amazon. Pretty much an impulse purchase at that price.

So the good.

Solid feel

Rubberized grips feel great

"linear" band resistance is very satisfying to drive and offers ample feedback to be immersive and responsive

Metal paddle shifters are a step up from ms plastic ones

Plugged in the wheel, went to setup in the pcars menu, game self identified the thrustmaster spider wheel, had buttons to calibrate, did the calibration of wheel and pedals and then went racing. Didn't change a single other setting at all.

Set I think a top 20 time on Road America with a formula one car, bone stock, no tuning, took about 7 laps. A 1:46 and change. Top time is 1:38. I won't reach that, but I've put in enough hours sim racing to know I can drop 3-4 seconds off of my 1:46. For one I don't even have the pedals locked down on the floor. They move the whole time I brake and throttle, and are turned 45 degrees by the end of a lap. Gotta hit stop and readjust the pedals every lap.

The bad

Other then the rubberized grips and the paddle shifters everything feels a little cheap. Fit and finish if you will is lacking. A, B,X,Y buttons all feel a little loose. Just lacking a really solid put together feel. It's not terrible, and the price is obviously pretty low, but a lot of the wheel looks and feels like a toy. The wheel mechanism, and "bungee chord" system feel great. That has a very solid satisfying feel, but most of the other buttons feel less then stellar. But hey, it's 95 bucks, so I guess thrustmaster put the money to good use making the steering feel solid.

Lot's of cheap looking toy plastic, hey it is only 95 bucks.

Wheel is only recognized after unplugging your xbox, and then plugging in. Even so several times the lb and rb stopped working. Which makes it impossible to navigate the menus, even if you don't use manual gears for driving. This was very, very, annoying and required 4 or 5 hard resets, unplug the xbox, and so forth, to get wheel working again. Didn't have to go through recalibration, but still a big hastle.

No headset plug in, but you can listen to headset through other xbox remote. This is less then ideal of course.

The bungee chord system while satisfying does take a lot more effort to turn at the limits then I expected. This is definitely not a hold in your lap wheel. You need it mounted.
The pedals are going to slide all over the place if you don't find a place to mount them. Thrustmaster I think says the bungee chords offer linear resistance. This means for example if a 20 degree turn takes x effort, then a 40 degree turn takes 2x or double the effort, a 60 degree takes 3x or triple the effort, etc. So when you turn the wheel almost full lock it takes a pretty strong turn. This approximates ffb but isn't as precise and you don't get any rumble effect. It's also not 100% tied to understeer or oversteer which you can usually feel with a "lightness" in the ms ffb wheel. Thrustmaster spider is it's just harder and harder to turn, the farther you turn the wheel. Still, it's some voodoo magic for 95 dollars. It is very satisfying to drive.

Little bit of deadzone in the middle of the wheel, maybe 10 degrees as others have noted. I haven't tried to mess with settings to adjust, and to be honest I don't think it was really enough to effect my driving, but it's there.

Verdict:
Very satisfying to use when actually racing. Set some great lap times, crushed my controller times, and didn't miss the ffb hardly at all. If you're looking for an entry level wheel, that comes pretty close to a ffb wheel, but don't want to make the 400 dollar investment, this is definitely a wheel I would consider. Make sure you have a plan to mount and support it. You will be very disappointed if you can't lock down the wheel and pedals some how. There are tons of rigs out there, and wifey is getting me a rig for my 40th birthday, so I'm set there.

gamertag is thevilleky as well if you want to call bs on the lap times. They're posted. I have no idea really if the times I've set are that great, as not a lot of people have run time trials yet, but at least you can get an idea of what you're running now with a controller and decide if you want to make the jump to a wheel. It's damn satisfying to feel like I'm driving a car again, instead of flicking a controller around.

Final thoughts. A force feedback wheel if you can spare the coin, and are going to spend a lot of time racing is a no brainer. Read some reviews on various ffb wheels and get one. If you love sim racing, but got a wife and kids, never used a wheel before and want to get a toe in the water, don't have the budget for a 400 dollar wheel, or just won't put in 100's of hours playing, then the thrustmaster spider seems a great entry point to get into sim racing with a reasonable investment.

Great write up, I've been thinking about getting the spider wheel since I got PCars but have been very worried about the no ffb. Also coming from the official 360 ffb and also a couple of good quality ffb PC steering wheels I was worried the non ffb wheel would feel awful, I had a very cheap non ffb wheel on my old ps1 which I took back as it had no resistance but from the sound of things this sounds like they have got the resistance sorted with the bungie system. May order one now as I have an Amazon voucher sitting here. I don't have the money to be blowing 350 on a bit of hardware I'll only be using occasionally when the baby's asleep haha

Budski
16-05-2015, 09:37
no where has this in stock!!! Why????

https://www.gamestop.co.uk/Xbox%20One/Games/46430/tx-racing-wheel-ferrari-458-italia-edition

Robhd
16-05-2015, 09:37
Tx worth every penny mate... I had a fanatec csr previously and the tx is in a different league to even that great wheel!

Robhd
16-05-2015, 09:38
Try dabs.com they do the tx for 219!

ItchyBear
16-05-2015, 10:00
If you have the cash TX is the way forward on Xbone but if not the Spider is a good tool to get you rolling (I have this myself currently & wouldn't change it).

If the resistance in those with the 458 Spider is too much, suggest you try setting a calibration setting of 35 degrees left to 180 degrees right (you'll know what I mean if you have one) :)

This reduces the lock to lock turning circle so you don't go into the tighter limits of the bungee cord setup (it works like a dream).

Want any help with it don't hesitate to message me chaps :)

Sp4mD4gger
16-05-2015, 10:46
Game have them
http://www.game.co.uk/en/thrustmaster-ferrari-458-spider-racing-wheel-for-xbox-one-317659

thevilleky
16-05-2015, 12:26
I would recommend the spider for your situation. That's kinda what I think it's aimed at. The bungee system really does a grwt job of feeling like a ffb wheel. You can turn in agressively with the wheel, and the resistance gets progressively stronger so you can be precise, and a nice feel as you "unwind" the wheel coming out of a corner. It's not ffb but the strong resistance makes a huge difference from the wheels with no resistance at all.

thevilleky
16-05-2015, 12:29
S

Is it possible you used the combination for changing the auto-cluth option. That option has two settings...on or off...so 1 or 2 flashes.

I also througt that the combination for changing sensitivity was Lb/rb and y/b at the same time.
Enjoy the wheel, i know i ma enjoying it:)

I'll take a look. That must be what i'm doing cause i'm only getting two blinks. Might be why the lb and rb stop working cause it thinks u want the shifting set to auto.

beanienotts
16-05-2015, 12:35
Or this.... http://wheelstandpro.com/

+1 for that, i love mine, made by gamers who work in metalwork who wanted a decent stand so make them on the side and it shows, the quality is fantastic!

thevilleky
16-05-2015, 18:18
Played again today. Worked great. User error on the mode changes.thanks for the posts so I got that sorted. Loving the wheel. Highly recommend unless you r going to go full boat for a ffb wheel. Linear risistance bands are dang close. The wheel is a blast to drive.

cliffter88
16-05-2015, 18:36
Well I bought the 458 Italia wheel today and my god what a difference. With the controller I was struggling to get into 17th with the clios, my first try with the wheel I got a 4th place finish! It feels very good for a non ffb wheel.

My initial things that I noticed were that I could turn in harder with the wheel, it felt like my brakes with about 30% better than with the controller and allowed me the brake later into the corner, a lot better throttle control. Yes it doesn't let you feel when your loosing grip etc but you get the sounds on the game to let you know when the tyres are letting go.

If your looking for a step up from the controller then I highly recommend the Italia for 69.99. It has transformed the game for me.

nissan4ever
16-05-2015, 19:35
Cheers for the replies guys! It looks like I will be splashing the extra cash!

Does the TX work okay with a fold out table and chair I.E play-ability ? As I can't afford the bucket seat etc.

Got any pics of your set-ups?

I edited my original post in this thread on page one & included 4 pictures of my setup ;)

I'll also add this. Today, I did a race at Monza Short driving Renault Clio Cup with some friends online. The Force Feedback you feel with the TX is amazing. What I'm pointing out in particular is the kinda long back straight. When you need to slow down to get ready for the sweeping right hander, the road isn't smooth. It's bumpy right in the braking zone.

I was lost for words when my car was bouncing up & down on screen because of the bumpy surface on the track. What made me smile was the absolutely glorious violent FFB my TX was giving me. In my peripheral vision I could physically see my TH8A shifter stick shaking from the force of FFB from the wheel. Imagine how it felt to my hands & arms as I firmly held the wheel & guided my Clio into the sweeping turn (of course the track is smooth in the turn. Just that braking zone is bumpy!).

Just incredible how detailed the force feedback is in this game. Way better than it ever felt in FM5 while using my TX.

Royall58
17-05-2015, 08:02
Thanks to everyone that has posted, great community and some good feedback on both wheels! I've ordered a thrustmaster spider :). I'll also be putting a review of the wheel on here when it arrives :)

Daveesaunders
17-05-2015, 08:32
Wife's been asking what I want for my birthday and our first wedding anniversary next month sent her a link to the 458 spider as that's affordable so fingers crossed.

nissan4ever
17-05-2015, 11:49
Wife's been asking what I want for my birthday and our first wedding anniversary next month sent her a link to the 458 spider as that's affordable so fingers crossed.

LOL awesome!

nissan4ever
17-05-2015, 11:50
What's important for everyone to realize is that to truly enjoy this game, you need a wheel. Then you will definitely see the physics in this game is very special! If space is an issue, www.wheelstandpro.com got you covered!

Nemesis X2
17-05-2015, 13:24

Congrats on the anniversary mate.... Just make the most of it now as once the years tick over all you'll get is earache....

Rxhevntt
17-05-2015, 14:44
Great thread. Both great wheels. Equal enjoyment for all budgets. Bravo thrustmaster! Also wheelstandpro great combo!

I started with the Spider and then made the jump to the TX when I saw 1) how great the spider was and 2) these products made this my new hobby. It is no longer playing video games--it's racing!

Royall58
20-05-2015, 13:18
Right Guys, Girls and Stig like beings!

It's time for my review after receiving my racing wheel yesterday. After taking in all of your comments (which i'm thankful for) in this thread, I opted for the Thrustmaster 458 Spider over the very popular TX 458. There were two reasons for this, the first being due to me not using a racing wheel in a long time going for the most expensive version was not the best idea if I didn't use it all the time. The second reason was that my girlfriend stated that saving for a mortgage is more of a priority than a 280 wheel, but what does she know?! Also Because RaceCar isn't a logical reason to buy one apparently. So I went ahead and bought the 458 Spider because it was this one or nothing!

Anyway... It arrived yesterday and was sitting in it's box when I got home from work. My first initial impressions were that it looked okay but you could really tell it was the cheaper of the two, this didn't give me much hope for how it would feel when playing Project Cars. I went ahead and set it up and started up the game and configured the wheel blah blah blah. With all that out of the way, which I thought was very simple and easy to do I continued with my career. This would be a good test of what it's like compared to the controller, why you ask?? I was qualifying in the wet around Snetterton 200 in a Caterham 7. Using a controller with this combination was incredibly frustrating as I used to get snap oversteer on the corner after the back straight due to the car being so twitchy and a number of other things.

I tried with the wheel and I was complete amazing of how good I felt and in control I don't know if this was something that has been amplified by the known controller bug but the wheel felt great. The bungee resistance works very well and can give you a lot of controlled movement, although it has taken awhile to get used to the braking with not having any feedback through the pedals but it's something i will get used to and reducing the braking pressure made it easier. The flappy paddles feel good with a solid click when changing up or down gears, they don't feel like they will snap anytime soon, the rest of the buttons do feel a bit cheap but that's to be expected with the price that I paid. What highlighted the improvement this wheel had the most was during an online race with a friend, as a back story we have played racing games against each other since the days of Forza 2 and he has always been that little bit quicker than me with both using controllers, this has carried over to Project Cars. But last night using my new wheel he just couldn't keep up (he's extremely good with the controller with the current bug) I felt great!!!!

I am very happy with this wheel and will be using it for a while and don't think i'll be going back to the controller any time soon. I can see myself upgrading to the FFB in the future and possibly getting a rig.

I'd like to thank everyone again for their opinions on both wheels.

Outlier
20-05-2015, 13:34
why did I read this? Now I want to go pick up a new wheel.... and I just sold my old wheel stand.

Pikamark
20-05-2015, 13:47
If anyone's looking for the tx wheel GameStop were selling for 224 new

thevilleky
20-05-2015, 14:16
Fantastic!! Like you, I'm saving for a mortgage so wifey wouldn't let me drop $399 bucks on a wheel. Glad the wheel is fitting the bill. Since I gave it a pretty good endorsement I didn't want to have someone else get it and think it was crap.

Miker
20-05-2015, 14:26
Glad you like to the combo...there are some very cheap mods you can do to the pedals to improve braking feel, I have half a rubber doorstop glued to the back of my break pedal which applies more resistance the more I press, I rarely lock up now and it means I can learn the right breaking points and pressure by the amount of feel/resistance, rather than the amount of movement of the pedal...much easier and cost about 5

Royall58
20-05-2015, 14:45
Fantastic!! Like you, I'm saving for a mortgage so wifey wouldn't let me drop $399 bucks on a wheel. Glad the wheel is fitting the bill. Since I gave it a pretty good endorsement I didn't want to have someone else get it and think it was crap.

Stupid life priorities getting in the way of racing!! I wondering why I didn't get one earlier!

Royall58
20-05-2015, 14:47
Glad you like to the combo...there are some very cheap mods you can do to the pedals to improve braking feel, I have half a rubber doorstop glued to the back of my break pedal which applies more resistance the more I press, I rarely lock up now and it means I can learn the right breaking points and pressure the amount of feel/resistance, rather than the amount of movement of the pedal...much easier and cost about 5

That's a good idea! You got a photo of where it's positioned?

Seps1974
20-05-2015, 15:19
why did I read this? Now I want to go pick up a new wheel.... and I just sold my old wheel stand.

Go for it. You won't believe how much fun you'll have with P CARS and a wheel.

ashasha
20-05-2015, 23:38
I know that it's late for the OP, but I would recommend the TX. I got mine from Walmart a while back for a very simple reason....they have a 3 year warranty for like $20-30 or something. When I bought mine there had been a ton of issues with them reported....I imagine that mine is a second revision or something because it's been flawless. But if I am going to drop $300 on something that I plan on abusing a bit, has a motor, gets hot and is made of plastic I am going to try to get some kind of guarantee with it. Haven't had to use it, but in a year of two if it fails I get a brand new one.

And I'm not one to buy extended warranties on things. Just something to think about.

One other thing....don't forget to calculate the potential costs of a wheelstand. You are looking at around another $100-200 depending on how fancy you want to go unless you are handy. I made my own wheel stand from a modified material stand from Harbor Freight for $15 and it works great, but there was some cutting and drilling involved to make it work.