PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Improvement to the Forum.

Pamellaaa
14-05-2015, 09:57
First things first apologies if there is already a thread for suggestions for changes to the forum, I did a search and couldn't see anything but that isn't always foolproof. I would also like to say that I am really impressed with the start that the forum has made and its great to see such an active involvement from so many knowledgeable and helpful people and this is already a great resource for all players of pCars. That said there are a couple of additions that I think could make navigating and using this forum more straightforward and more useful, I am sure there are many other things I haven't thought of so if anyone else has suggestions this might be a good place to put them rather than starting a new thread for each new idea. If this gets used a lot I am more than happy to keep the OP updated with a list of ideas/suggestions that have been posted and cross any off that get implemented or rejected by the mods and admins.

Additional Subforums:

It would be good if the Multiplayer Event Planning section was broken down into subforums for PC/PS4/XBone to keep things tidy and make it easier for those searching for a league to join to find something suitable for them.

In other games that I have played which allow custom liveries (Forza Mostly) a lot of prolific painters and designers like to have a thread that they can curate as their own personal gallery showing all the paints that they have done and making them all available in one place, I know we have the database for each car and that is an excellent feature but I am sure there would be a lot of people who would like to run their own gallery thread in addition to this and have it linked in their signatures, it would make it much easier for someone who sees a paint they like to check out others by the same artist without searching every thread in the database.

A tunes database in a similar fashion to the existing paints database: a thread for each car with a template post in the OP of each that is designed to make it easy to pick up the settings from the post and set them up on your car, each tune could be posted with a description of the handling feel it gives along with the track or tracks that it has been tuned for and the input method used during tuning, possibly even laptimes as well. Users searching for a tune could therefore find a tune that suits the car and track they want easily as well as bringing a semi-standardized format for presenting tunes.

Most other forums that I have used have at least had a general "off topic" forum and many have had lots and lots of sub forums branching off from this, I feel that this is a great addition to any forum and really adds to the sense of community on a site, the more active members we have the more people are going to be viewing the main core of the site and I think this would be a great way to achieve this.

SubForums for other languages: I assume that this is going to be the only official forum for Project Cars so it would be good to have some support for gamers who don't speak English, this could be tricky to find a nice balance for implementing this and discussion of it starts at post #22. Suggested implementation would be under the main Project Cars Forum a seperate heading for "Other Languages" with subforums inside this for each language required. Suggested by Francorchamps.

Notifications

Not sure if this is possible already - or even possible at all given the forum software used - but I find it useful to have the notifications panel at the top of the forum to link into your subscribed threads, its nice to have a number and an easily accessible list on the forum home page that shows you if anyone has replied to a thread you subscribe to, if any of your posts have been quoted, if you have received any likes etc etc. I know this can currently be done through various pages of the control panel but it would be good to have the option to have it all compiled in one place and available from any forum page via the notifications panel

General Additions / Changes

Make Forum Rules a Global Sticky - Accessible from any subform

Make Subforum Specific Rules Thread Stickies - Some forums will require additional rules that wont apply in other places, ideally these could be written up and stickied to the top of each sub-forum.

More Specific Forum Rules Regarding Signatures - There are some signatures being used with large images, some clarity on how large a signature should be and what it can and can't contain would be good.

User created forum polls - fairly self explanatory and could be used for a number of thread types. Suggested by Luke Townsend

Time format options - ability to change between US and EU/UK date conventions. Suggested by TheStigsCousin

@Tagging - very much how Facebook does, let you bring a post to someones attention with a simple tag, great for those running leagues who want to make sure all their competitors see a particular post and useful for every other aspect of the forum as well.

Mobile Integration - A mobile theme and/or Tapatalk integration would be a major enhancement, the current forum is not particularly touchscreen friendly.

Bug Fixes

I may be doing something wrong but there seems to be an issue at present with Personal Messages, when I view Sent items it says there are no messages to show despite me having just sent one and having sent a few previously. - Not a bug, but setup not to save a copy by default (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24900-Suggested-Improvement-to-the-Forum&p=982170&viewfull=1#post982170)

That is all I have got for now but I am sure as I use the forum more I will have other ideas that come to me, as I said more than happy to add others suggestions to the OP if this thread if mods think it would be good to have all these suggestions in one place!

Deadzone
15-05-2015, 03:23
Good suggestions

Pamellaaa
15-05-2015, 15:11
Good suggestions

Thank you for the support, I hope this might be picked up by the mods at some point so we can get a bit of feedback on the ideas.

I have had another idea for a tunes database similar in style to the pre-existing paints one, I will get it added to the OP now!

andrewz
15-05-2015, 16:49
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21985-Project-Cars-Ultimate-Suggestion-Thread

Edit: Sorry. I mixed suggestions for forums a for the game itself.

Pamellaaa
15-05-2015, 17:31
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21985-Project-Cars-Ultimate-Suggestion-Thread

That isn't really relevant, that is for changes to the game and not the forum.

wilf
15-05-2015, 18:04
Pamellaaa,

"Suggested improvements to the forum" might be a better thread title. With the current title, I imagine a lot of people will make the same mistake that andrewz did.

Pamellaaa
15-05-2015, 18:38
Pamellaaa,

"Suggested improvements to the forum" might be a better thread title. With the current title, I imagine a lot of people will make the same mistake that andrewz did.

Good point, well made.

Done.

Pamellaaa
18-05-2015, 11:29
Would it be possible to get a bit of feedback on any of these ideas from the Mods?

I freely admit to not knowing a huge amount about running or moderating a forum so it might be that there are a number of reasons why these suggestions don't/can't work but it would be good to know if it is worth pursuing this thread?

Luke Townsend
18-05-2015, 11:34
Very good ideas, Pamellaaa!

If I may add another forum suggestion: I would like to be able to subscribe to a thread even if I have not posted in it (or if I posted but did not choose subscribe at the time). If this is already possible then sorry, I've not found it yet.

Pamellaaa
18-05-2015, 11:41
Very good ideas, Pamellaaa!

If I may add another forum suggestion: I would like to be able to subscribe to a thread even if I have not posted in it (or if I posted but did not choose subscribe at the time). If this is already possible then sorry, I've not found it yet.

Thanks Luke,

I am hoping this can be a useful thread for people to use and to collect all the information on what people would like the Forum to become.

With regards to your issue it is already possible, open a thread that you haven't posted in and click the dropdown near the top for "Thread Tools" the 3rd option of this is "Subscribe to Thread"

;)

If there is anything else you would like to see implemented let me know and I will add it to the OP.

Luke Townsend
18-05-2015, 13:52
Hi Pamellaaa! Brilliant! Thanks for letting me know where to find the "subscribe to thread" option! :) As for other forum ideas - I'm used to user-generated polls in other forums (non-racing). They can get abused but could be useful here perhaps too. Very good of you to maintain this thread.

Pamellaaa
18-05-2015, 14:32
Hi Pamellaaa! Brilliant! Thanks for letting me know where to find the "subscribe to thread" option! :) As for other forum ideas - I'm used to user-generated polls in other forums (non-racing). They can get abused but could be useful here perhaps too. Very good of you to maintain this thread.

No problem :)

User generated polls is a good idea, I have added it to the OP as I couldn't find it after a brief look.

tennenbaum
18-05-2015, 15:57
Yes, notification panel in top would be great!

TheStigsCousin
18-05-2015, 18:32
Option to change Time/Date format.
I can't find an option to change how the time and date is displayed, which is really frustrating. Default is MM/DD/YYYY with 24 hour clock. In the U.S. the standard is DD/MM/YYYY with 12 hour clock.
I have never seen a forum that didn't have this option.

Pamellaaa
18-05-2015, 18:52
Option to change Time/Date format.
I can't find an option to change how the time and date is displayed, which is really frustrating. Default is MM/DD/YYYY with 24 hour clock. In the U.S. the standard is DD/MM/YYYY with 12 hour clock.
I have never seen a forum that didn't have this option.

Yeah, seems sensible, added to the OP!

rbl
18-05-2015, 19:31
Notifications

Not sure if this is possible already - or even possible at all given the forum software used - but I find it useful to have the notifications panel at the top of the forum to link into your subscribed threads, its nice to have a number and an easily accessible list on the forum home page that shows you if anyone has replied to a thread you subscribe to, if any of your posts have been quoted, if you have received any likes etc etc. I know this can currently be done through various pages of the control panel but it would be good to have the option to have it all compiled in one place and available from any forum page via the notifications panel
I don't understand what you are missing in Control panel (other than the quote functionality, which we don't have and it sounds nice). By replying you automatically subscribe to a thread (by default, but you can disable/configure this behaviour in your settings) and you can subscribe to threads manually. Control panel then shows you in one place your subscribed threads with new posts and it shows you recent likes. Can you elaborate what do you want different?

But certainly good suggestions. :encouragement:

Roger Prynne
18-05-2015, 19:47
I don't understand what you are missing in Control panel (other than the quote functionality, which we don't have and it sounds nice). By replying you automatically subscribe to a thread (by default, but you can disable/configure this behaviour in your settings) and you can subscribe to threads manually. Control panel then shows you in one place your subscribed threads with new posts and it shows you recent likes. Can you elaborate what do you want different?

Wrong.... This is what it says in Control Panel.....

When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

rbl
18-05-2015, 20:00
You don't even see the option with "quick reply", it's in the "advanced" reply mode. And it's checked by default, isn't it? :p

And like I said, configurable through the settings

(or is it seriously not the default setting? I don't remember changing it, but it's been 3 years...)

Pamellaaa
18-05-2015, 21:21

Essentially its a feature from GTPlanet that I had never used before and really liked it, essentially it rolls all of the likes, replies and quotes into "notifications" (called alerts over there) and makes it accessible as a drop down from any page, without switching page to the control panel, makes it a bit more fluid to navigate around when you start to get busy, GTPlanet also seperates private messages into a similar overlay called "inbox". Overall I think the implementation here is fine but it could be more fluid and user friendly and to me personally "notifications" says replies, quotes and updates more than it does private messages.

After spending more time here I have come to use the control panel more but I still feel that the above would be improvements to the day to day use of the Forum. I am not sure that I am explaining things particularly well but its a great addition and makes navigation and keeping up to date with goings on at a glance much easier.

While I am at it @tagging is a very useful feature if you want to bring something to one or many users attention and a major boon for those running leagues and want to make sure something will be seen by all those involved.

Luke Townsend
18-05-2015, 21:24
You don't even see the option with "quick reply", it's in the "advanced" reply mode. And it's checked by default, isn't it? :p

And like I said, configurable through the settings

(or is it seriously not the default setting? I don't remember changing it, but it's been 3 years...)

Haha well 3 years is a long time! :D I just replied to a thread using quick reply and it has not subscribed me to that thread - so default subscribe for quick reply is off it seems.

rbl
18-05-2015, 21:34
I stand corrected then

Francorchamps
19-05-2015, 10:33
I would like to suggest to add some more subforums for languages to the forum like Spanish, French, German ... I see a lot of angry non english speaking people on this forum and I guess they seem mostly angry because they can not express them well. Most people pick up the nasty words from languages they do not speak so when they want to voice criticism they use the only words they know instead of giving constructive criticism. For example I can insult someone in english without being offensive but if you only know words like F... and Sh... you will use those instead and still think you made your point come across.

In one such topic someone suggested that non english speakers should use Google translate but everyone knows that does not work. When I translate those texts I understand less from what Google offers than the f... and s... remarks. This is an international game that is released in various countries where they don't speak english and my guess is that those games are localized in these markets. So all the communication to sell the game is in their native language but for support they stumble up on a wall of "unformatted text" (I borrowed that quote from an english speaker stumbling up on french text :cool: )

Understanding why your customer is angry is key in every market so trying to retain the customer is difficult when you don't speak their language.

Pamellaaa
19-05-2015, 11:07
I would like to suggest to add some more subforums for languages to the forum like Spanish, French, German ... I see a lot of angry non english speaking people on this forum and I guess they seem mostly angry because they can not express them well. Most people pick up the nasty words from languages they do not speak so when they want to voice criticism they use the only words they know instead of giving constructive criticism. For example I can insult someone in english without being offensive but if you only know words like F... and Sh... you will use those instead and still think you made your point come across.

In one such topic someone suggested that non english speakers should use Google translate but everyone knows that does not work. When I translate those texts I understand less from what Google offers than the f... and s... remarks. This is an international game that is released in various countries where they don't speak english and my guess is that those games are localized in these markets. So all the communication to sell the game is in their native language but for support they stumble up on a wall of "unformatted text" (I borrowed that quote from an english speaker stumbling up on french text :cool: )

Understanding why your customer is angry is key in every market so trying to retain the customer is difficult when you don't speak their language.

Interesting idea, I have added it to the OP, my worry would be how you would get it implemented, it would look very messy to have each forum having several sub-forums for different languages and it would mean that someone like yourself who is very capable at English as well (I assume) as your native language might end up having to check each forum twice?

Perhaps a General pCars Chat subforum for each language (IE. Project Cars > Other Languages > French / German / Spanish / ETC / ETC) so the forum doesn't get too busy with a bunch of sub-forums in each current one, then any one of these that gets used would likely end up with its own thread for suggestions, paints, tunes etc. If they were busy enough they could even then get the subforums as per the main forum.

I can see what you are getting at, can you give any more specific detail on how you see it working?

Another potential issue would be moderation, if none of the mod/admin team speak German or French or Spanish then how are they going to moderate the forum effectively?

Edit to say: Sorry if I sound negative, I am just playing Devils advocate as this is not something that I have used in other forums (as most forums I have been a part of have been almost exclusively English speaking) but I appreciate that as this is a new game and this is (I believe) the only official forum channel so it is definitely something worth raising to the attention of the mods :)

Francorchamps
19-05-2015, 11:34
I would say add a main section "other languages". In that section you create subforums for the languages. I'm not saying this will solve everything but I guess players who can't speak english will surely be helped by players that speak their language.

I don't think it will be hard to find bilingual players on here that can act like a moderator only in the language forum they represent.

Pamellaaa
19-05-2015, 11:56
I would say add a main section "other languages". In that section you create subforums for the languages. I'm not saying this will solve everything but I guess players who can't speak english will surely be helped by players that speak their language.

I don't think it will be hard to find bilingual players on here that can act like a moderator only in the language forum they represent.

That would seem a sensible implementation, I will add a bit more detail to the OP.

Pamellaaa
19-05-2015, 13:34
Haha well 3 years is a long time! :D I just replied to a thread using quick reply and it has not subscribed me to that thread - so default subscribe for quick reply is off it seems.

This is very interesting because I have just quick replied to a thread and it has subscribed me to it when I check subscriptions, maybe it is related so some settings in your control panel. I believe that my settings are default but I could have changed something when I first signed up.

Pamellaaa
19-05-2015, 15:46
I have added a couple of other suggestions, I think the the Forum Rules thread should be a global sticky and not just available in the general discussion area.

I also think that some forums may require additional or slightly different rules and these should be written up and posted as stickies to the relevant sub-forums.

Edit: Apologies for the triple post, there was a couple of hours between each of them and they were all regarding seperate subjects.

Pamellaaa
21-05-2015, 08:42
I have added another suggestion, I would like to see some more clarity on what is and isn't allowed regarding signatures, some people seem to be using quite large images that I know most forums wouldn't allow.

RareWhiteApe
21-05-2015, 09:26
I love your suggestion for splitting the PC/PS4/XB1 multiplayer sub forums. I was looking to suggest this myself, but I opened this thread and there it is.

It gets a big ol' LIKE from me.

Another suggestion: install a mobile theme so that we can browse easily while out and about, or just bludging at work.

Pamellaaa
21-05-2015, 09:41
I love your suggestion for splitting the PC/PS4/XB1 multiplayer sub forums. I was looking to suggest this myself, but I opened this thread and there it is.

It gets a big ol' LIKE from me.

Another suggestion: install a mobile theme so that we can browse easily while out and about, or just bludging at work.

Good idea, Mobile theme and/or Tapatalk integration would be great, I will add it to the OP.

Luke Townsend
22-05-2015, 07:19
This is very interesting because I have just quick replied to a thread and it has subscribed me to it when I check subscriptions, maybe it is related so some settings in your control panel. I believe that my settings are default but I could have changed something when I first signed up.

You are right! :) I just quick replied to a thread and again I was not subscribed. Looking in my control panel under general settings, there is an option for default subscription action. Mine was set to do not subscribe. I've not even visited the general settings page before, let alone changed that setting. So it seems by default, the default action is not to subscribe to quick posts. That's sensible enough. It also explains why we're getting different behaviour - always good to know! ;)

Pamellaaa
11-06-2015, 11:58
Made a small addition to the OP, I seem to have found an issue with viewing sent messages on the private messages board, I have definitely sent some but none of them show up.

Bealdor
11-06-2015, 12:00
Made a small addition to the OP, I seem to have found an issue with viewing sent messages on the private messages board, I have definitely sent some but none of them show up.

Did you check the date filter?

Pamellaaa
11-06-2015, 12:09
Did you check the date filter?

[Image Removed]

I am only seeing that filter on the Inbox and not on the Sent messages page. This is what I see on Sent Messages:

Edit, you can see there it says Sent Items has 0 messages even though I have definitely sent (and had reply to) several PMs.

Bealdor
11-06-2015, 12:17
Hah! Found your issue.

Go to Control Panel -> General Settings -> Set "Sent Private Messages:" to "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default"

It's deactivated by default.

Pamellaaa
11-06-2015, 12:21
Hah! Found your issue.

Go to Control Panel -> General Settings -> Set "Sent Private Messages:" to "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default"

[Image Removed]

It's deactivated by default.

Great, many thanks Bealdor thats a big help. I have left the post in the OP as others may have the same issue but I have linked to your solution :)

Do you know out of interest why it doesn't save by default? It would seem like an odd choice.

Bealdor
11-06-2015, 12:31
Do you know out of interest why it doesn't save by default? It would seem like an odd choice.

Your PM space is limited. And since you should know what you've written it's more important to have enough space for incoming messages I guess. ;)

Pamellaaa
11-06-2015, 12:40
Your PM space is limited. And since you should know what you've written it's more important to have enough space for incoming messages I guess. ;)

Makes sense, thanks again for the help. I have changed my settings now :D