PDA

View Full Version : Default controller settings overly sensitive!!! Help Slightly Mad Studios

crucian4
14-05-2015, 12:13
First off game has the potential to be great for everyone. From beginner to advanced. From gamepad drivers to wheel drivers...

So as the title says I think the default PS4 Dualshock 4 settings are waaaayyyyyy too sensitive. I have not been able to complete a lap or practice session without spinning out or loosing some kind of control. This game is probably great with a wheel but, not everyone plays with one. I have a DFGT for my PC and will play with that eventually (space issues) but for now I am trying to play on my PS4 and Xbox One but I am not enjoying it so far. Looks great. Car and environment detail is gorgeous.

Anyone have any recommended settings? I switched to preset number one from default preset 3 and that helped some but, the controls still feel way too sensitive for the DS4 gamepad. Installing now on my Xbox One and will post there as well if I have the same issue.

And yes I bought the game for all three systems.

Jaroslav Turna
14-05-2015, 12:34
try settings from link in my signature ... it may (or may not) help

9Lives
14-05-2015, 13:32
I've mentioned in a previous thread. I'd personally advise to keep the steering sensitivity high and turn on steering dampening in the advanced menu and begin with a high setting on the steering filtering. Practice smoothness with the analogue stick and avoid pushing the stick all the way to the sides. Possibly purchase a cheap clip on for your analogue sticks that raise them.

olliefroomes
14-05-2015, 14:03
I found this a problem too to begin with.

Since then I've done some playing around with the settings and found my personal preference, which is to reduce the steering sensitivity to (I think, ratio may be wrong so apologies if so) 6:8:1 in the menus and then reduce the steering deadzone to 0 so that I can be more precise.

I'd also recommend (again personal preference) reducing the throttle deadzone to 0 so that you can feed the throttle much better, stamping on the accelerator with twitchy steering pretty much always results in you taking a nap in the gravel trap, tire wall or the carbon fibre body of whoever is alongside you!

Hope this helps

gbm
14-05-2015, 14:31
All great advice.

So I'm kinda new to racing games, and CERTAINLY to tweaking these kind of settings, so I ask:

When it comes to adjusting deadzones, why would someone want to change this? I have a T80, and I set my wheel, accelerator, and brakes all to ZERO. I was under the impression that ZERO means the wheel will register the movements quicker.

If someone can elaborate on this for me, and the reasons why you WOULD change this, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT:

This is my current set up for the T80

Steering dead zone: 0
Steering Sensitivity: 25

Throttle dead zone: 0
Throttle Sensitivity: 30

Brake dead zone: 0
Brake Sensitivity: 30

Clutch dead zone: 0
Clutch Sensitivity: 45

Speed Sensitivity: 55
Controller Filtering: 50

Force Feedback: 100
Advanced: Off

olliefroomes
14-05-2015, 15:01
All great advice.

So I'm kinda new to racing games, and CERTAINLY to tweaking these kind of settings, so I ask:

When it comes to adjusting deadzones, why would someone want to change this? I have a T80, and I set my wheel, accelerator, and brakes all to ZERO. I was under the impression that ZERO means the wheel will register the movements quicker.

If someone can elaborate on this for me, and the reasons why you WOULD change this, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT:

To clarify, this thread is all for the PS4 Dualshock Controller.

This is how I understand it and why I would change it; if you're finding the steering too twitchy, you'd want to reduce the sensitivity so you're not turning the wheels to quickly. If you reduce the sensitivity, you will push your analogue stick the same distance as before, but wont turn as far in game. To compensate for this, reducing the deadzone to 0 means the movement is registered sooner and will give you the extra leeway on your analogue stick to make up for this.

doyley101
14-05-2015, 15:02
All great advice.

EDIT:

I would certainly suggest turning speed sensitivity to 0 if you're using a wheel, otherwise you'll have to full lock to get round a kink, which is obviously not how real cars work :)

gbm
14-05-2015, 15:05
I would certainly suggest turning speed sensitivity to 0 if you're using a wheel, otherwise you'll have to full lock to get round a kink, which is obviously not how real cars work :)

oooops. my bad, yes I was inquiring about wheel usage. Apologies. Thanks for the advice though.

EDIT: I do have a question however.
Does this game automatically detect what you are using? A controller or a wheel? ...and then apply the adjustments made to each?

In other words, if I tweak things for the wheel, then again for the controller, will they apply the ones for whatever hardware I'm currently playing with?

crucian4
14-05-2015, 16:38
Thanks for all the replies. I have reduced the sensitivity and I will try some of the other suggestions in this thread. I also mentioned SMS in the title to try and get their attention. The current controller default settings does not allow for a good racing experience for someone looking to pick up the game and just race. I think it will lead to a lot of frustration and online racing with out of control players. It might not be that the individuals are bad drivers. It might be the default settings for a controller need to be tweaked by SMS.

twistedvaccine
14-05-2015, 17:59
Ive tried searching but is there a post that explains what each config slider does?

Patrik Marek
14-05-2015, 18:11
I have driven only a few cars so far ( on PS4), but so far I used mode2 and it works pretty well for me so far,
I do have to try some faster cars though, will let you know once I do

gbm
14-05-2015, 18:14
Ive tried searching but is there a post that explains what each config slider does?

I found this on the STEAM board, it's what I've been referencing all along:

-------------------------------------------------------

Explanation Of Settings

This section is what each of the settings relating to the controller do, or at least my understanding from playing around trying to find the best set up.

The dead zones control how big an area that your controller won't register any input for, the higher the number the more you will have to move the joystick or trigger before the game registers your action. I personally haven't noticed a huge difference between 0 and 100, but if you have an older controller which is a bit more worn you may want to increase these if your springs are holding the trigger or joystick out all the way anymore.

Sensitivities are all in the name, how sensitive the game will be to your actions, except for speed sensitivity which has been horribly named.

Controller filtering sensitivity is a filter on the input coming from your controller, so a higher value means will result in a smoother experience because the minute tiny adjustments get averaged out to become smooth. A lower value means that there is no filtering so the game uses your raw input, any little change in your controller the game will register.

Speed sensitivity I had wrong initially as pointed out by rzezol (Thanks!). Speed sensitivity changes the sensitivity and what turning angle you can turn at relative to the speed you're travelling. So if you're driving slowly you can turn sharper relative to when you're going fast even if you push the joystick all the way it's not going to turn very sharply. The higher you set this option the less wheel turn you can make at higher speeds.

I think you are wrong in explanation of speed sensitivity option. IMO it's working like this:
-driving slow - wheel movement are fast and you can turn wheel very far from center position;
-driving fast - wheel movement are slower and you can turn wheel not that far from center position even if you push gamepad stick all the way left or right.
Conclusion: the higher you set speed sensitivity - the less wheel turn you can make at higher speed.

Force feedback controls the vibration of your controller I personally haven't noticed it making any differences between 5-100, with 0 turning off vibration all together.

Controller input mode just cycles through some appalling default configurations.

SpaceMachine
14-05-2015, 19:49
Lap.
Tweak.
Repeat.

You have to find a happy space to be in when you use a dualshock. Patience is required. It's all very zen.

Lap.
Tweak.
Repeat.

Don't forget to display your telemetry for additional feedback and wear headphones if you have them - it not only saves everyone else being subjected to constant noise, it helps you locate loss of traction. The correct field of view helps massively with this, and if using the helmet cam, try turning off the visible wheel - I find it very distracting...

Lap.
Tweak.
Repeat.

MrStef85
14-05-2015, 20:03
I use the controller settings from Reddit. Works very good.

JohnyHerbertLovesCake
14-05-2015, 21:12
Have a read through this guide http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23153-Xbox-One-Controller-Configuration-Guide

It's under the xb1 section but can't see how it wouldn't also apply to the PS4 and it's worked for me.